Joe Buck & Troy Aikman Forget Hot Mics are On; Mock the NFL's Flyovers

Vic Mackey

22 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Perhaps you missed the part about the flyovers being part of training flights.  The pilots are training anyway, so what's the big deal?  It makes good television even if the stands are empty, so complaining about them is just complaining to be complaining.

This.  They have to have hours in the air anyway, so what difference does it make where they're doing it?  It's nice though that both ends of the political spectrum can find something to hate on though.  It's the little things.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Perhaps you missed the part about the flyovers being part of training flights.  The pilots are training anyway, so what's the big deal?  It makes good television even if the stands are empty, so complaining about them is just complaining to be complaining.

13 minutes ago, TriStone said:

This.  They have to have hours in the air anyway, so what difference does it make where they're doing it?  It's nice though that both ends of the political spectrum can find something to hate on though.  It's the little things.

Yep. Indignant outrage from ignorant dumbasses who haven't the first clue what they're talking about is always priceless.

4 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. Indignant outrage from ignorant dumbasses who haven't the first clue what they're talking about is always priceless.

so i found this quote:

https://www.whiteman.af.mil/News/Article/2179682/missouri-air-national-guard-to-conduct-b-2-stealth-bomber-salute-to-covid-19-es/

"The U.S. Air Force performs almost 1,000 flyovers each year, to include air shows, national-level sporting events, and any event in support of a patriotic holiday. Flyovers are fully functional training missions, designed to maintain the lethality and readiness of Air Force pilots and maintainers. They are conducted at no additional cost to taxpayers and are incorporated into existing flying schedules."

Look at the mission profile map at the above link.  Compare and contrast to a joy ride from Whiteman to Tampa in the middle of the day.

So, i'm going to have to go Quint with the sharkbite on my leg.  Sorry in advance for doing this.

I was born at Vance AFB while my dad did his first 500 hours in a T-38.  After graduating from training he joined the 3630th ATC Wing that was formed at Sheppard August '66 to rebuild the Luftwaffe by training German pilots in T-38s for the next 2 years before joining Delta in March '69.  Flash forward 50 years later, I know a little bit about aviation, commercial and military.

Training missions are about cycles and simulation.  4-hour daylight cruises above US commercial airspace are not part of the regimen.  And neither are useless hours on billion dollar machines of which we only have 20, which for the next 10 years, remain kind of important to our National Security.

All other flyovers are done with hardware based within at most 250 miles of the flyover.  No problem with those.

Using the Spirits for NFL flyoevers are not justified period end of story.   Use the hours for military exercises to far corners of the planet and back.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

so i found this quote:

https://www.whiteman.af.mil/News/Article/2179682/missouri-air-national-guard-to-conduct-b-2-stealth-bomber-salute-to-covid-19-es/

"The U.S. Air Force performs almost 1,000 flyovers each year, to include air shows, national-level sporting events, and any event in support of a patriotic holiday. Flyovers are fully functional training missions, designed to maintain the lethality and readiness of Air Force pilots and maintainers. They are conducted at no additional cost to taxpayers and are incorporated into existing flying schedules."

Look at the mission profile map at the above link.  Compare and contrast to a joy ride from Whiteman to Tampa in the middle of the day.

So, i'm going to have to go Quint with the sharkbite on my leg.  Sorry in advance for doing this.

I was born at Vance AFB while my dad did his first 500 hours in a T-38.  After graduating from training he joined the 3630th ATC Wing that was formed at Sheppard August '66 to rebuild the Luftwaffe by training German pilots in T-38s for the next 2 years before joining Delta in March '69.  Flash forward 50 years later, I know a little bit about aviation, commercial and military.

Training missions are about cycles and simulation.  4-hour daylight cruises above US commercial airspace are not part of the regimen.  And neither are useless hours on billion dollar machines of which we only have 20, which for the next 10 years, remain kind of important to our National Security.

All other flyovers are done with hardware based within at most 250 miles of the flyover.  No problem with those.

Using the Spirits for NFL flyoevers are not justified period end of story.   Use the hours for military exercises to far corners of the planet and back.

Yeah I wasn't referring to what you said or to the more exotic aircraft. I was referring to dumbasses who get all worked up over typical military flyovers.

3 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Because they all come from one base in the US and re-fuel in the air u til their mission is done

And what does the location have to do with that?  6 hours flying racetracks over Kansas is the same as 6 hours flying to Eglin with a flyover in Tampa or whatever.  

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

5 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Because they all come from one base in the US and re-fuel in the air u til their mission is done

we should get more bases.  Or are they all belong to us?  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

And what does the location have to do with that?  6 hours flying racetracks over Kansas is the same as 6 hours flying to Eglin with a flyover in Tampa or whatever.  

let me guarantee you with 100% confidence they can come up with more useful mission profiles than racetracks over kansas or joyrides to tampa.

but at a minimum, if some guy needs 20 hours to keep his type rating, they will do the racetracks over kansas before the joyride to tampa because if they have to return to base for a mechanical reason, amazingly, they are only 20 minutes away.  2 hours away and then setting down at macdill and then teleporting in a C-5 and 200 personnel to get the fucker airborn again.... yeah, that's not a cunning plan, baldrick.

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

Yeah... I’ve done multiple tours as crew and embarked staff on aircraft carriers and seen lots of cool stuff involving military aircraft, and this one was a jaw dropper for me.  

and it was totally appropriate.  the whole country was watching the 2nd biggest game every year.   and it was the biggest game of the century to date in college football.  totally appropriate even for a u-turn back to whiteman if that's what they did.  that was 2006.

this is 2020.  and the Spirit airframes can't be macgyvered in to multiple cat lives like the B-52 G/H machines.  and it's a bad look during a pandemic flying over empty stadiums.

8 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

A lot. 

you might want to look at “efficiency per hr” in training instead of hold an outdated cold-war view that’s tantamount to a Dillard’s employee view of plastic shopping bags

16 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

let me guarantee you with 100% confidence they can come up with more useful mission profiles than racetracks over kansas or joyrides to tampa.

but at a minimum, if some guy needs 20 hours to keep his type rating, they will do the racetracks over kansas before the joyride to tampa because if they have to return to base for a mechanical reason, amazingly, they are only 20 minutes away.  2 hours away and then setting down at macdill and then teleporting in a C-5 and 200 personnel to get the fucker airborn again.... yeah, that's not a cunning plan, baldrick.

So not cheaper then?  You're building in the potential costs of maintenance now, which would happen if has to set down in Kansas, too.  And then of course the C-5 breaks, so everything is all fucked everywhere.

Man what the fuck is up with multiquoting

10 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

A lot. 

you might want to look at “efficiency per hr” in training instead of hold an outdated cold-war view that’s tantamount to a Dillard’s employee view of plastic shopping bags

So less efficient to fly somewhere you may be taking it anyway and doing a flyover on the way vs laps in Kansas (Kansas is just the example provided)?  I would suspect this depends on what you're doing with it to begin with.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

2 hours ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Flyovers are used as training exercises for pilots. They practice on hitting a spot at a specific time. Pilots need the flying hours so they arn't doing it just cause

Yep, stupid to argue it's a waste as they'd just be flying somewhere else.  Might as well show off the fans as well.  

4 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

I”m gonna go ahead and disagree a bit with you. The hours are already paid for and in the budget. As are maintenance costs. And it’s a use it or loose it equation. Beating up the airspace over Kansas might be good for one mission. Perhaps these B2’s let the air wings at Eglin and Homestead come up and play before hitting the range on the way home with some blue bomblets and maybe had a tanker squadron or two join up for some practice. Which makes the 20 minute jaunt and flyover worthwhile. Or maybe it was a straight recruiting tool for a nationally televised game with some extended flight time and experience thrown in to boot. There’s a host of reasons this could be done and turned into a justifiable sortie.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

So not cheaper then?  Or is it just building in the potential costs of maintenance?

Man what the fuck is up with multiquoting

So less efficient to fly somewhere you may be taking it anyway and doing a flyover on the way vs laps in Kansas (Kansas is just the example provided)?  I would suspect this depends on what you're doing with it to begin with.

Not all training hrs are equal in cost and distance and the cost/benefit can be outrageous. If a General or distinguished Col. wanted a flyover at their kids HS graduation, you could do it but would have to know a lot of people and shoehorn it into a training budget that would take hrs away from other pilots. For the sporting events, the military wants to use them as propaganda events expending more money on them. Some feel that’s wasteful and Nationalistic.

7 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Not all training hrs are equal in cost and distance and the cost/benefit can be outrageous. If a General or distinguished Col. wanted a flyover at their kids HS graduation, you could do it but would have to know a lot of people and shoehorn it into a training budget that would take hrs away from other pilots. For the sporting events, the military wants to use them as propaganda events expending more money on them. Some feel that’s wasteful and Nationalistic.

I apparently went to the wrong high school.  E:  Has that specific thing actually been done?  If so, what did they have do the flyover?  Please say B-52s.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

I have a buddy that flies for the AF reserve, F-16's, and he's done a few flyovers.  Fairly extensive mission planning goes into it, including getting the timing right to arrive over the stadium at the moment the national anthem ends.  They have a post mission report, that includes if the were early, late or on time, and they get graded on it.  There's some amount of coordination with the artist performing the national anthem, and a spotter in the stadium./CSB

• Hook 'Em 1

Living next to an Air Guard/temporary AF base due to runway work at Offut has taken some of fun out of stadium flyovers for me, just because I see cool shit half the time when I got get my mail, and half because I get annoyed when they fuck around with C-130s all weekend 

4 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Wanna know how I know you weren’t at the 2006 Rose Bowl when the Stealth Bomber did the pregame flyover?

Think that’s exactly the cool big game setting the stage kind of flyover he was talking about?

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Flyovers are badass. You, Troy, and Joe all suck and like to fuck fat chicks. 

Lmao. I never said I was against flyovers you dumb fucking cocksucker. Simply funny it was caught on the mic. Go hand out some more negs like the bitch you are.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It’s a recruitment tool and the flyovers are often worked into training missions. It doesn’t remotely ruffle my feathers. 

4 hours ago, canadianhorn21 said:

Flyovers are used as training exercises for pilots. They practice on hitting a spot at a specific time. Pilots need the flying hours so they arn't doing it just cause

Spot on.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Assman said:

Here's how the process works:

1.  The entity that's hosting the flyover makes the request to Air Force/Navy/Army/whoever Public Affairs or equivalent.  That request includes all the important info like event type, date, time, location, etc.  They can also request a certain type of aircraft or just say they want anything with wings.  If they've worked with a certain unit in the past (for example, UT and the TXANG F-16s out of San Antonio), they can request that unit specifically.  If this is the case, usually there's already a handshake deal between the entity and the unit they're requesting, but you still have to go through the process because government.

2.  The DoD branch approves the flyover, and posts it on a dedicated website just like a M4M nurse encounter.

3.  Individuals with access to said website (like me) can browse and look for something intriguing.  I'll know what dates and how many aircraft my unit can support, so I'll look for something that matches with a hometown connection or maybe just a city that has good titty bars.

4.  I submit a request to PA to support the flyover.

5.  PA will contact me, get 6-9 pages worth of info, sit on it for weeks, then flip a coin to decide whether they'll approve or deny.

6.  If they approve my request, they'll then get me the contact info for the flyover host.

7.  I then work directly with the host for specifics of flyover direction, time, and contingency plans.

8. Flyover happens.

To say it's a training mission and that it will happen either way whether the flyover happens isn't exactly true.  Yes, there is some training to be had, and you can turn it into whatever type of mission you want, but the bottom line is it's a great deal for us.  When you've done nothing but train in the local area and/or deploy to shitty locations, doing something like this is something special and it's not something that you'll get to do often (aircraft dependent).  Some units may choose to turn the 1 minute flyover into a 6 hour mission that involves a low-level or a couple plugs from a tanker, or some (like mine) will just fly directly to the flyover then land so we can watch the game.  Bottom line though, it doesn't cost the taxpayer a single cent because every unit gets a certain amount of flying hours a year and they can use them how they see fit.  So for those of us that have spent literal years of our lives in Bumfuckastan, let us have our 30 seconds of glory over a football stadium.

Thanks, Assman.

As a general rule you shouldn't have flyovers when there are more people in the plane than in the stands. 
But it doesn't get any better than this at the Rose Bowl.  Seeing that thing quietly make its way from the north end of the stadium, then over the bowl with the San Gabriels in the background. 
Jaw-dropping shit. 

CZmMfqSUYAAQHBB.jpg

How did anyone even know it flew over?
  • Hook 'Em 1