Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

Just now, Caddox said:

All this SEC investigation stuff seems weird to me. You've got stuff going on at LSU, Tennessee, Florida, and now possibly UGA? And they supposedly told Bama no on Bo Davis? Why now?

Does your BMD source not know?

Edited by hobbs
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Restinmybones said:

It intrigues me, too, but I also wouldn't expect an answer. Actually, I'm not sure I really want to know, anyway.

Yah, I wouldn't wanna know the specifics for sure, that'd be a terrible sign of loose lips. Just imagine they're pretty far behind from what an average SEC team's structure is. Wondering how fast they'll set it up etc...

28 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Sark still waiting on his man for DC. Still battling LSU, ND, maybe a couple of others. Hope we can outbid them, or at least outsell them. I don't know why anyone would want to go work for Ed O.

If Sark does land his choice of DC by battling with ND and LSU that really makes me feel even better that his personal demons are behind him. Continues to show that high level coordinators with opportunities believe in Sark.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Restinmybones said:

Hi Agent Buck. I'm sure someone here will be along shortly to provide all of the details. 

Knew I recognized that avatar. Are you this genius from burntorangenation's comments? 

Capture+_2021-01-08-11-33-46.png

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Errestaurants said:

If Sark does land his choice of DC by battling with ND and LSU that really makes me feel even better that his personal demons are behind him. Continues to show that high level coordinators with opportunities believe in Sark.

I think the fact that Milwee, Flood, and possibly Wiggins are all following Sark from Alabama to Texas is evidence that Sark has things under control.  Those guy have been around him every day for at least the last two seasons (and in Flood's case the last 4).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Yurcich likes working for coaches on the hot seat apparently.  I hope Franklin actually lets him run his offense.

Could be really smart if he has the right contract language. Either he gains fame as a turnaround king or those buyouts stack up $$$$.  I dont see him ever hurting for jon opportunities even if Franklin gets fired. 

Regarding Milwee, Arkansas State PR'd his addition as the OC on 12/28/20. If you go to their site now, you can't find shit about him. He's been scrubbed from the site. Here's the link to the coaching page: https://astateredwolves.com/sports/football/coaches . Anyway, hadn't seen this mentioned, but it obviously makes it clear that he's going to be the QB Coach.

Another thing I haven't seen discussed is whether or not the open positions have been publicly filed yet? I know the HC role is exempt from that requirement, but I was assuming the lower roles still had to do it. It would be great if they don't, but that would be news, and if they still have to be posted, has anyone tracked that?

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Super K (TFB) on Dennis Simmons:

Reveal hidden contents

Earlier this morning, Horns 247 reported that a name to “watch for Texas” is OU wide receiver coach, Dennis Simmons.

I spoke to sources regarding this and am told that this was more than just interest. I’m told that Texas offered Simmons the job and apparently for a substantial pay increase.

My early sense from folks around the OU program is that Simmons is likely to stay put at OU. However, I’m told that the amount offered was so significant that it’s something he would have to at least entertain.

I'm always down  to fuck with OU. Hopefully it extends to the field this year and we push their shit in.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, B00M said:

"We are not a running QB team and we never will be. We believe in throwing the football and protecting our QB." ... Thompson is going to set the B12 on fire next year. 

The man boobs sold me. I trust coaches who don't have time to work out. On the flipside, can't trust coaches like Larry Fedora.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Super K follow up:

Hide contents

Don’t quote me on this but what I gather from sources on the OU side that Simmons was offered like double what OU pays him. So, yeah I’d say Sark has a fat checkbook.

Double... triple that shit.  Make him not think twice about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Super K (TFB) on Dennis Simmons:

Hide contents

Earlier this morning, Horns 247 reported that a name to “watch for Texas” is OU wide receiver coach, Dennis Simmons.

I spoke to sources regarding this and am told that this was more than just interest. I’m told that Texas offered Simmons the job and apparently for a substantial pay increase.

My early sense from folks around the OU program is that Simmons is likely to stay put at OU. However, I’m told that the amount offered was so significant that it’s something he would have to at least entertain.

Either way this is great. We are going to get a god damn stud WR coach or OU is going to have to overpay like a mother fucker. Swing our fucking dicks

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I think the fact that Milwee, Flood, and possibly Wiggins are all following Sark from Alabama to Texas is evidence that Sark has things under control.  Those guy have been around him every day for at least the last two seasons (and in Flood's case the last 4).

I'm less concerned about Sark in 2021 than I am about Sark in, say, 2023. I don't know the dude, but just in my experience as a recovering alcoholic, it's easier to be sober when things are going well: when things are calm at home, when things are going well at work (when you're winning Broyles Awards, promotions, coaching NCGs), etc. I just hope he'll stay strong when he hits a few tough losses, he starts getting criticized by the media, after a big disagreement with his ex-wife, or even if he's fired in 3-4 years for not meeting expectations.

Not that it's been a cakewalk professionally for him since he left rehab (see Atlanta Falcons), and I think he's shown enough to earn another HC gig, but I just hope he continues to maintain it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, MissouriHorn said:

For those who have the time today... Sark talking some ball here. 

Thank you very much for posting this, and helping me change my stance on this hire. I hope Sark gets the staff he wants and stays hungry, but this presentation was enlightening and passionate. Hook'em, Sark 🤘

Stating the obvious, but this process is such a breath of fresh air compared to the Shawn Watson/Derek Warhime/Drew Mehringer shit sandwiches we were forced to eat the last two times around. TBD how good the final staff will be, but we are at least shooting our shot.

I was ambivalent about the Sark hire, but this process is a positive sign.

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, I wouldn't wanna know the specifics for sure, that'd be a terrible sign of loose lips. Just imagine they're pretty far behind from what an average SEC team's structure is. Wondering how fast they'll set it up etc...

I think everyone in the country has been behind the sec "bag game" for at least a decade.

I couldn’t find 2020 but in 2019 Simmons made 460k. Now being offered in the neighborhood of 900k? He’s coming imo.

How does Oklahoma get close to that number without having to substantially boost all other assistants?

He’s really going to turn down double the pay? I fucking doubt it  

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, B00M said:

"We are not a running QB team and we never will be. We believe in throwing the football and protecting our QB." ... Thompson is going to set the B12 on fire next year. 

I have Jekyll and Hide feelings about the QB position and how it should be utilized. On one hand, you want a QB with a great arm and ability to execute a sophisticated passing attack. 

But on the other hand, a QB with great running ability, combined with a great arm and either a sophisticated or simple passing attack is the most difficult combination to defend.

Of course I want a QB that can do both, but those are really hard to find, so I understand the statement about not looking for a running QB. But at the same time I want utopia and Sark is telling me I’m not going to get it. 

Just now, Dbeasy said:

I have Jekyll and Hide feelings about the QB position and how it should be utilized. On one hand, you want a QB with a great arm and ability to execute a sophisticated passing attack. 

But on the other hand, a QB with great running ability, combined with a great arm and either a sophisticated or simple passing attack is the most difficult combination to defend.

Of course I want a QB that can do both, but those are really hard to find, so I understand the statement about not looking for a running QB. But at the same time I want utopia and Sark is telling me I’m not going to get it. 

Trite as it sounds, we should do whatever plays to our QB's strengths. Simple as that.

• Hook 'Em 4

40 minutes ago, Caddox said:

All this SEC investigation stuff seems weird to me. You've got stuff going on at LSU, Tennessee, Florida, and now possibly UGA? And they supposedly told Bama no on Bo Davis? Why now?

40 minutes ago, hobbs said:

Does your BMD source not know?

Deer season is over.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Caddox said:

Shut up moron...you don't know shit. Go fuck yourself with futureman's fist you worthless piece of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Restinmybones said:

I think everyone in the country has been behind the sec "bag game" for at least a decade.

This. Restinmybones is a unimpeachable source on clandestine activities and what some might coin conspiracy theories. Please tell us more, where exactly does Texas stand in that group of “everyone”? Throw off the gloves and tinfoil hat, tell us what you know. 

Edited by derpyhorndog
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Stating the obvious, but this process is such a breath of fresh air compared to the Shawn Watson/Derek Warhime/Drew Mehringer shit sandwiches we were forced to eat the last two times around. TBD how good the final staff will be, but we are at least shooting our shot.

I was ambivalent about the Sark hire, but this process is a positive sign.

agree.  while his P5 HC record isn't great, he has coached for 2 power schools and been HC at a top 30ish all time school. it appears through his troubles he hasn't burned bridges and still has a good rep in the coaching world.

Charlie didn't know what to do and Herman likely burned bridges given what we know about him.

A good staff will definitely be a sign that this coin flip may end up on heads.