87th Texas Legislature

StassneyHorn

I truly don't understand why I keep getting ripped over my post.
I just did a poor job, of actually saying what I really meant......just think they need to simplify, what should be an easy voting process:
- have an Election Day, with polls open from 5a - 8p 
- being early voting, 2 weeks prior, same hours, 7 days per week
**  and no, you should NOT have to vote, at the polling location in your precinct....but voting should be done, AT a polling location......and drive-thru voting is the height of all laziness
- for those that are bed-ridden, or are hospitalized, etc.....they can request mail-in ballots
Good grief...people want to make things so complicated, when it doesn't need to be...jeez

The superfluous comma usage reminds me of the asthmatic friend from “Malcolm in the middle” who had to take breaths/puffs mid sentence
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, former alkie said:

I truly don't understand why I keep getting ripped over my post.

I just did a poor job, of actually saying what I really meant......just think they need to simplify, what should be an easy voting process:

- have an Election Day, with polls open from 5a - 8p 

- being early voting, 2 weeks prior, same hours, 7 days per week

**  and no, you should NOT have to vote, at the polling location in your precinct....but voting should be done, AT a polling location......and drive-thru voting is the height of all laziness

- for those that are bed-ridden, or are hospitalized, etc.....they can request mail-in ballots

Good grief...people want to make things so complicated, when it doesn't need to be...jeez

If you pass voting legislation that purports to solve non-existent problems, what's to stop subsequent legislation from eliminating early voting?

47 minutes ago, immamac said:

Somehow Oregon and Colorado have had full mail in voting with no issues for over a decade. I think we can figure out how to make it easy to vote here. 

i was literally going to say this exact thing. 

also @former alkie, giving you benefit of the doubt, in your follow up defense you did not address the new provision of allowing judges to actually overturn an election without proof of fraud.

that by itself makes this bill trash. if you truly think that is 'common sense' and not 100% undemocratic...then you are the problem. 🤨

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Why does Abbot constantly have to be an insufferable cunt? 

Because he's rewarded politically for it.

The absolute worst part of Texas is Republican domination of state government. Until a Democrat wins a state-wide race, we'll continue to be governed by the likes of opportunists like Greg Abbot and nutters like Dan Patrick.

It sucks.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, mchookem said:

also @former alkie, giving you benefit of the doubt, in your follow up defense you did not address the new provision of allowing judges to actually overturn an election without proof of fraud.

that by itself makes this bill trash. if you truly think that is 'common sense' and not 100% undemocratic...then you are the problem. 🤨

I did leave that out, but not purposely. 

What you're saying is dead-on correct, and I'm obviously not well-versed enough to have ventured into this discussion...I admit that.

Just fed-up and wish they'd just simplify this voting situation.....then move on to more pressing things, like our out of control property taxes.

Please forgive my rant

5 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

It will hurt them a great deal when they don’t have a staff or office supplies

No one wants to work for free, doing constituent work for the next 18 months, so nothing will get done at the district level. “Government is broken, our reps aren’t doing anything! Why do I even pay taxes?!?!” 

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo

With no staffers walking the halls of the Capitol, who is Dan Patrick going to make sexually inappropriate remarks to?  

Who is Briscoe Cain gonna tap does in the men's room with?  Himself?  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

With no staffers walking the halls of the Capitol, who is Dan Patrick going to make sexually inappropriate remarks to?  

Who is Briscoe Cain gonna tap does in the men's room with?  Himself?  

I guess they could just fuck each other 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo
Just now, Js1 said:

I guess they could just fuck each other 

Nah, for all the shit I give him on here...Dan Patrick is perfectly straight.  Never heard a reliable rumor to the contrary.  He just enjoys looking and sounding like a lesbian, is a complete asshole, and every time I see him he just gives off this "indoorsy" vibe of diluted masculinity. 

This next comment is not intended as a critique of sexual preference.  To each their own, but don't legislate from a place of self-loathing because you're being cruel to people with different sexual orientations and hurting them in real life.  But Briscoe Cain is a homosexual, maybe bisexual.  But he likes men, among his other menu of desires.  I witnessed him personally getting very sexually aggressive with a bisexual man I know at Driskill Hotel a couple years ago.  I mean Briscoe was going hard to the paint, but his short-ass couldn't hit the layup. /csb

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Nah, for all the shit I give him on here...Dan Patrick is perfectly straight.  Never heard a reliable rumor to the contrary.  He just enjoys looking and sounding like a lesbian, is a complete asshole, and every time I see him he just gives off this "indoorsy" vibe of diluted masculinity. 

This next comment is not intended as a critique of sexual preference.  To each their own, but don't legislate from a place of self-loathing because you're being cruel to people with different sexual orientations and hurting them in real life.  But Briscoe Cain is a homosexual, maybe bisexual.  But he likes men, among his other menu of desires.  I witnessed him personally getting very sexually aggressive with a bisexual man I know at Driskill Hotel a couple years ago.  I mean Briscoe was going hard to the paint, but his short-ass couldn't hit the layup. /csb

Dan Patrick likes women because he used to be one and was a lesbian then who transitioned into a man.

Fact.

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

He certainly dresses like someone who secretly attends Lilith Fair and then has to change in the car before he meets his family for megachurch evangelical worship 

Edited by Lobo

12 hours ago, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

Straight up lying while not even keeping a straight face because they know they can get away with it. 

"Oh it was a typo, we meant 11.  Someone forgot the other 1"

Um, so you meant 11pm?  Or what that a "typo" too? 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/31/2021 at 4:18 PM, Celery Man said:

the super cool way to move past voting stuff would be to make it easy and secure, which could be accomplished if the republicans stopped trying to make it difficult and irrelevant.

ferengi rules of acquisition:

#34: war is good for business

#35: peace is good for business

#36: turmoil in the middle east is good for business

#37: difficult and insecure voting is good for business

Abbott announced there will be 2 special sessions in 2021.  So lege staff will love working 2 special sessions with no pay.

Session 1 (summer) - SB7, bail bill (died due to the walk-out) and "other issues" (read: social media deplatforming and trans sports bill)

Session 2 (Sept/Oct) - redistricting and "federal COVID-19 relief funds" 

Guest Lobo

I'm sure some hate-filled parents will pressure the school board and administration to rescind her diploma...last I checked giving a pre-approved commencement speech isn't a requirement for completion of public school 12th grade in Texas.  However, as come concession---they'll repeal her title as "Valedictorian."  spoiler alert-she's already coming to UT, they no longer care if she's valedictorian in name only, anymore.  As long as she still made those grades, she's aces in UT's book.   

In a couple months, she is going to have a line of people waiting to help her in any way we can here at UT.  While I have personal doubts about the morality of elective abortions except in cases of rape/incest...I am absolutely in full support of it not being taken on by the government.  It should remain safe, legal, and rare.  But what I like about Paxton Smith isn't her opinion on abortion, her switching out speeches at the last minute to defy 'The Man', her declaring that her body and her life and hers to do with what she chooses.  What I like about her is she had a platform to stand up and advocate for people that don't have a voice right now, she used it...and she fucking nailed it.  When it falls to teenagers to speak up for those who are being shut out of the public square...it's damn inspiring and incredibly fucking worrisome.  Where are the rest of us right now?  

Abbott announced there will be 2 special sessions in 2021.  So lege staff will love working 2 special sessions with no pay.
Session 1 (summer) - SB7, bail bill (died due to the walk-out) and "other issues" (read: social media deplatforming and trans sports bill)
Session 2 (Sept/Oct) - redistricting and "federal COVID-19 relief funds" 

The appropriation is for beginning 8/1/22 so they’d still be paid until then

How many different ways do I have to say this:  

If a major part of your party platform is restricting the ability of people to vote, it’s because your other political ideas suck.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

If a major part of your party platform is restricting the ability of people to vote, it’s because your other political ideas suck.

One could try to argue that it's more complicated than that.....but it's not.

56 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Republicans still have this 1950’s mindset that all the government needs to do is keep people safe. That worked in the mid 1900’s when people still had mad men like Hitler and Stalin fresh in their minds, we had an ongoing Cold War with the Soviet Union, and the vietnam war played out on tv and people saw the carnage first hand. 

it doesn’t work today on people who grew up in the 80’s and 90’s. We didn’t have to go through all of that shit. Why should I celebrate a tax cut when I’m not in the top 10% of earners? Those are the ones the GOP is trying to help while  they try to throw a few measly crumbs my way. The GOP hasn’t done anything substantial or notable for the average American in my lifetime. Their policies are terrible.

Edited by Voldemort86

On 6/3/2021 at 6:05 PM, Lobo said:

I'm sure some hate-filled parents will pressure the school board and administration to rescind her diploma...last I checked giving a pre-approved commencement speech isn't a requirement for completion of public school 12th grade in Texas. 

I haven't heard of anything particularly problematic.  I'm sure there was some freakout. Lake Highlands can be a bit religious wingnut but the high school itself has teen pregnancy issues.  I bet the entire faculty supported Ms. Smith and if there was anyone wanting to punish her, I think they are probably getting silenced themselves. 

Well see.

Guest Lobo

I hope you're right...but the Karens of the world are elusive.  They bide their time in the shadows until their coiffure is ready to pounce.  And then they make their movie.  

They'll be bashing this girl soon enough.  But out of jealousy and spite. 

They are also going to require all elections offices to record and save surveillance video of all voting and ballot processing rooms during the election process.  That's weeks of video and going to cost counties millions upon millions of dollars.

9 hours ago, YChang said:

What were these Republican fuckers doing this session?

Ooops… We don’t know how it made it in there. It was a typo.

Pathetic.

That’s why you don’t put Briscoe Cain in charge. It’s an elections bill, not a chorus line 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That’s why you don’t put Briscoe Cain in charge. It’s an elections bill, not a chorus line 

Hey, he said there was gonna be glory holes in all election booths going forward.  Plus with that short little fucker, nobody will wonder why somebody in the booth is down on their knees.