Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

18 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I was not aware of his account getting suspended. That's pretty shitty. You're not wrong, a subsection of the Tech fan base has been really shitty to him over leaving. It's understandable to a degree, but I don't understand being A) that upset about it, and B) being that upset about still, in January of 2022.

what do you anticipate the crowd reaction to be when he returns to Lubbock with Texas?

Let's not go too far into the "few bad apples" myth.  Tech fans are notoriously jealous little brothers who are obsessed with their sports teams being praised more than they deserve.  They're like Aggies, but with a somewhat more developed sense of humor and far better looking coeds.

This doesn't mean Texas fans aren't notoriously arrogant douchebags who think UT sports are more relevant these days than they really are, either.  Both can be true.  That said, if Sark were to elevate the football program to a national championship level (good one, LOL) and then bolt for 'bama when Saban retires, I wouldn't think anything more than "well, kind of a lateral move given the fact we just won a title too, but whatever, they're as good as it gets".

Tech fans would incessantly whine about Beard leaving for Duke.  Perception, how does it work?

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

It's understandable to a degree

No, it’s not.

He’s a man who took your program to heights it will likely never see again. He then left to go to his alma mater where he began his career. And he left the program in good shape with a well respected assistant that was poised to continue the ride. Tech fans have zero basis to be shitty in any way, including in Lubbock.

If you want to show real class, you would give him a standing ovation upon his return.

But you (average Tech fan) won’t, you (average Tech fan) will act like the man cut the throat of your first born while forcing you to watch. Frankly, it’s embarrassing and indicative of a deep lack of self-esteem. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

No, it’s not.

He’s a man who took your program to heights it will likely never see again. He then left to go to his alma mater where he began his career. And he left the program in good shape with a well respected assistant that was poised to continue the ride. Tech fans have zero basis to be shitty in any way, including in Lubbock.

If you want to show real class, you would give him a standing ovation upon his return.

But you (average Tech fan) won’t, you (average Tech fan) will act like the man cut the throat of your first born while forcing you to watch. Frankly, it’s embarrassing and indicative of a deep lack of self-esteem. 

No it is absolutely understandable up to a point. To expect a fanbase not to be upset at all about a good coach leaving is completely unreasonable. It's understandable to be upset about it while it was happening/in the immediate aftermath. It's not understandable to still be butthurt about it today, in my opinion.

Personally, I was over it as soon as it became apparent Adams wasn't following and wanted the job. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think so, that's just based on message boards I read though. The Twitterverse seems to be different but that's why I don't spend time there.

Unfortunately, the most vocal dipshits are always the ones out in front and the ones you see.

The point never existed because it was Texas that called. The moment a fan learned that he was going to Texas, which was at the exact same moment they learned he was leaving at all, any anger/bitterness was illogical and irrational. It was his alma mater. Where his career began. You don't get to be upset that he left because you were always going to be second in that scenario.

The reasonable response of a fan is to be upset/concerned for your program when a coach leaves. You can be upset with a coach that is fired, or one that left the program in disarray. You can bitch and moan about some guy that stole money while underperforming for years before making a move to avoid the hammer coming down. But you can't be upset with the coach that did more for your program than any other in history. Making it about Beard, the person and coach, is completely unreasonable under the facts. The Tech bellyachers coupled their sour grapes with grand proclamations about how the program wouldn't miss a step. The attacks were personal. And they were more than a "loud minority". Your own AD spit spite and pettiness. The reaction wasn't about the players or the program, it was always about trying to shame and denigrate Beard. And it was unwarranted and unjustified.

Obviously, one can't actually tell someone else how to feel. But I can certainly note that the behavior of the average Tech basketball fan in expressing their feelings when it comes to Chris Beard taking the Texas job has been petty, childish, and all-around evidence of a deep-seated jealousy.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Hook 'Em 1

"You don't get to be upset about it" is an absolutely insane position to take, you do realize that right? I think you're pretty far off base here, and your comments are simply coming from a place of some strange desire to look down your nose at people you think are second-class citizens or some such equally ridiculous notion.

I'm not arguing that many of our fans haven't been unreasonable dipshits, a lot most certainly have. I'm just saying being upset about it is a natural response. If you're still pissed off about it today, though, then you are certainly being unreasonable.

Hell, I'm really pragmatic and even I wasn't happy about it for at least a couple of days. Today, though, I'd certainly shake his hand and buy him a round. He left us in a good spot and I hold no ill will toward him at all. If you think there aren't a lot of fans like me, you just don't care to find them.

13 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

"You don't get to be upset about it" is an absolutely insane position to take, you do realize that right? I think you're pretty far off base here, and your comments are simply coming from a place of some strange desire to look down your nose at people you think are second-class citizens or some such equally ridiculous notion.

I'm not arguing that many of our fans haven't been unreasonable dipshits, a lot most certainly have. I'm just saying being upset about it is a natural response. If you're still pissed off about it today, though, then you are certainly being unreasonable.

So it's cool for you to define the parameters, but not for him to do it.  Gotcha.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

So it's cool for you to define the parameters, but not for him to do it.  Gotcha.

You can define whatever parameters you want, my man, but in my opinion saying that you're not allowed to be upset about it ever is insane. My position is that it's okay to be pissed off about it (briefly and without personally attacking the guy) and then move on, which is what any reasonable fan would have done. There are always plenty of unreasonable ones, though, and that's the unfortunate part.

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

huh, i had no idea that brian fantana was a tech fan.  the only other one i know of is that bash rip guy and he's the level of intelligence i'd expect from the plains high school.

fantana is a surprise.  learn something new...

Well at least he isn't an Everton fan.

3 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

You can define whatever parameters you want, my man, but in my opinion saying that you're not allowed to be upset about it ever is insane. My position is that it's okay to be pissed off about it (briefly and without personally attacking the guy) and then move on, which is what any reasonable fan would have done. There are always plenty of unreasonable ones, though, and that's the unfortunate part.

Not allowing for fans to be upset is a bit absurd, but not expecting fans of a Tier 2 program to understand their place in history is equally absurd.  

In my mind, a reasonable response would be "Goddammit, shit, I thought this might happen, I was just hoping he'd stick around."

Not the personal attacks.  (I get it, you say that's the minority of Tech fans, let's just see how this game in Lubbock plays out before we put that take in permanent ink.)

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not allowing for fans to be upset is a bit absurd, but not expecting fans of a Tier 2 program to understand their place in history is equally absurd.  

In my mind, a reasonable response would be "Goddammit, shit, I thought this might happen, I was just hoping he'd stick around."

Not the personal attacks.  (I get it, you say that's the minority of Tech fans, let's just see how this game in Lubbock plays out before we put that take in permanent ink.)

Yeah, I mean, that's where I was at, and from my experience on Tech boards, that's where most others were too. The angry freaks that won't let it go are always the loudest, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe it's a few bad apples but it's gone way too far. 

When you start seeing twitter accounts pop up with names like "Kill Chris Beard" and other twitter accounts that are threatening Beard's daughter it's beyond pathetic. It's a sad thing to say but Beard probably needs some extra security when Texas goes to Lubbock. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

They mostly are pissed off about him leaving for UT.   They would have been mad if he left for Duke or Kentucky, but they would have handled that much better than leaving for Texas.  

Maybe.  There's still no doubt they'd be blinded by amplified expectations into a fundamental misunderstanding of their station in the college basketball world.

I mean, I took the head cheerleader to our HS prom.  Smokin' hot, way out of my league.  How, you ask?  Well, she broke her ankle early that spring and was on crutches.  Nobody asked her to the dance.  I knew her, saw my opportunity, KNEW MY LIMITATIONS but said "fuck it, wanna go to prom?"  "Sure!".

Took her to the dance, did not close the deal, still knew my role in life.  My tux was awesome, though.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Logically, of course they should accept he’s a Texas alum, but this isn’t about logic.   

This is pretty much it. It's lil bro syndrome. 

Texas can spot this from a mile away because we've dealt with aggys. If Beard would have gone anywhere other than Texas there wouldn't have been much of an outcry at all. 

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe.  There's still no doubt they'd be blinded by amplified expectations into a fundamental misunderstanding of their station in the college basketball world.

I mean, I took the head cheerleader to our HS prom.  Smokin' hot, way out of my league.  How, you ask?  Well, she broke her ankle early that spring and was on crutches.  Nobody asked her to the dance.  I knew her, saw my opportunity, KNEW MY LIMITATIONS but said "fuck it, wanna go to prom?"  "Sure!".

Took her to the dance, did not close the deal, still knew my role in life.  My tux was awesome, though.

You went to Prom with Beard?

• Hook 'Em 1

Not that he needs me to defend him, but @Brian Fantana is a good cat and a reasonable fan/poster, probably a good deal more so than most who participate on this site (that's damning with faint praise, of course).

The two sides of this debate actually aren't that far apart. Tech fans were understandably upset and disappointed at the news Beard was leaving Lubbock for Austin. Many of them went beyond short-term butthurt, however, by getting Beard's Twitter account temporarily suspended, then insisting that Beard wasn't all that responsible for their success, anyway, and apparently still trying to fux with the Texas program by propagating false transfer rumors.

Fantana doesn't support any of that nonsense.

In the end, Beard made a decision that he thought was best for him. Was it money? Was it love for his alma mater? Was it perceived superior recruiting opportunities or the promise of a new arena? All of the above? Who knows?

He moved on and so should everyone else.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Hell, I'm really pragmatic and even I wasn't happy about it for at least a couple of days. Today, though, I'd certainly shake his hand and buy him a round. He left us in a good spot and I hold no ill will toward him at all. If you think there aren't a lot of fans like me, you just don't care to find them.

Please point to where in my comments I stated "You don't get to be upset about it" as you have quoted. You can't, because I didn't. So your use of quotes is quite puzzling. You do realize that, right?

You are entitled to have the opinion that I'm "pretty far off base here", but your opinion is not supported by the facts and your belief appears to be quite singular on this board. Your attempt to tell me what my motivation is in pointing out the laughably immature behavior of the Tech fanbase is an equally ridiculous notion. I have no desire, or need, to look down my nose at "people you think are second-class citizens or some such ridiculous notion". Again, that appears to be your low self-esteem and/or inherent jealousy that would allow yourself to assume I think Tech fans are beneath Texas fans. 

Again, no one says Tech fans aren't allowed to be upset. What is being said it that such a reaction is laughable and makes the fan acting that way a clown.

Yeah, I mean, that's where I was at, and from my experience on Tech boards, that's where most others were too. The angry freaks that won't let it go are always the loudest, though.

You keep making the claim that this was all a small cadre of Tech stans that were braying in the wind. Let's look at a quote by the Tech AD following the Beard departure:

“He shared with me today he was ready for another challenge, so I don’t fully understand it,” Hocutt said. “It obviously wasn’t for better fan support or better facilities. He told me it was not for financial reasons.”

That's the leader of the Athletic Department taking cheap shots at Beard the day he left, opening the floodgates for what was to follow. Your school President then made the talk show rounds claiming Tech would be better in the long run with a Coach that respected loyalty like Tadlock. The leadership set the tone and gave the direction to treat Beard with disrespect and a lack of appreciation. A coordinated effort led to Beard's twitter account being suspended after a deluge of false reporting of violations by Tech fans. His family received death threats. His family.

That's not some solitary jackass spouting off an internet message board, that's a fanbase that has lost the plot.  I understand you have to carry the water, but the pail is leaking all over, my man.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Please point to where in my comments I stated "You don't get to be upset about it" as you have quoted. You can't, because I didn't. So your use of quotes is quite puzzling. You do realize that, right?

You are entitled to have the opinion that I'm "pretty far off base here", but your opinion is not supported by the facts and your belief appears to be quite singular on this board. Your attempt to tell me what my motivation is in pointing out the laughably immature behavior of the Tech fanbase is an equally ridiculous notion. I have no desire, or need, to look down my nose at "people you think are second-class citizens or some such ridiculous notion". Again, that appears to be your low self-esteem and/or inherent jealousy that would allow yourself to assume I think Tech fans are beneath Texas fans. 

Again, no one says Tech fans aren't allowed to be upset. What is being said it that such a reaction is laughable and makes the fan acting that way a clown.

You keep making the claim that this was all a small cadre of Tech stans that were braying in the wind. Let's look at a quote by the Tech AD following the Beard departure:

“He shared with me today he was ready for another challenge, so I don’t fully understand it,” Hocutt said. “It obviously wasn’t for better fan support or better facilities. He told me it was not for financial reasons.”

That's the leader of the Athletic Department taking cheap shots at Beard the day he left, opening the floodgates for what was to follow. Your school President then made the talk show rounds claiming Tech would be better in the long run with a Coach that respected loyalty like Tadlock. The leadership set the tone and gave the direction to treat Beard with disrespect and a lack of appreciation. A coordinated effort led to Beard's twitter account being suspended after a deluge of false reporting of violations by Tech fans. His family received death threats. His family.

That's not some solitary jackass spouting off an internet message board, that's a fanbase that has lost the plot.  I understand you have to carry the water, but the pail is leaking all over, my man.

First off, no one is arguing with you that the more reactionary Tech fans are acting like clowns. Like, literally no one. All you're doing is mentally masturbating over this, and I don't get it. The AD levying, like, really mild criticism toward Beard is whatever. I couldn't not possibly care less. If that truthfully upsets you, then you need to grow a thicker skin, straight up. Beard is a grown ass man crowding 50, I guarantee you his feelings aren't hurt and he doesn't need you to defend him.

3 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

The point never existed because it was Texas that called. The moment a fan learned that he was going to Texas, which was at the exact same moment they learned he was leaving at all, any anger/bitterness was illogical and irrational. It was his alma mater. Where his career began. You don't get to be upset that he left because you were always going to be second in that scenario.

The reasonable response of a fan is to be upset/concerned for your program when a coach leaves. You can be upset with a coach that is fired, or one that left the program in disarray. You can bitch and moan about some guy that stole money while underperforming for years before making a move to avoid the hammer coming down. But you can't be upset with the coach that did more for your program than any other in history. Making it about Beard, the person and coach, is completely unreasonable under the facts. The Tech bellyachers coupled their sour grapes with grand proclamations about how the program wouldn't miss a step. The attacks were personal. And they were more than a "loud minority". Your own AD spit spite and pettiness. The reaction wasn't about the players or the program, it was always about trying to shame and denigrate Beard. And it was unwarranted and unjustified.

Obviously, one can't actually tell someone else how to feel. But I can certainly note that the behavior of the average Tech basketball fan in expressing their feelings when it comes to Chris Beard taking the Texas job has been petty, childish, and all-around evidence of a deep-seated jealousy.

Second, honestly this post is worse the second time I'm reading it. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth, trying to say it's reasonable to be upset, while at the same time trying to litigate the minutiae of what people are allowed to be upset about. That's literally just baby-brained nonsense. If a coach leaves your school for another school, people are going to feel betrayed and be upset about it, and very few of them (initially) are going to consider the logic of the move. Hell, I considered the logic of the move like a year before it even happened and I still was upset about it for like a day. Just because I didn't post cringe when it happened doesn't mean I wasn't at least a little angry, even if I understood the reasoning behind it.

As far as the "average Tech basketball fan" goes, how many do you know? 3? 4? Plus some random dipshits on Twitter? That doesn't seem like an adequate sample size to form a cohesive average. It's like I said earlier, if all you're exposed to is a couple of message board posters, a random guy you work with, and some Twitter posters, please do me a favor and miss me with your average fan jibber jabber.

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is pretty much it. It's lil bro syndrome. 

Texas can spot this from a mile away because we've dealt with aggys. If Beard would have gone anywhere other than Texas there wouldn't have been much of an outcry at all. 

It’s surprising to me that Tech fans would not have expected CB to leave for his alma mater sooner or later.

14 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Well I know one thing for certain and that’s I’ve watched Texas and Texas tech play a few times this year and it will be a good game and I expect Texas to split the series with them. Big 12 road games are always tough and this one will be extra special to the tards up in Lubbock so should be fun.

I’ll say this much, the Texas game in Lubbock is going to be serious business to Tech fans. My BIL is a tech grad and a professional garage beer drinker. Meaning, his favorite quote to use whenever someone mentions leaving their home for anything other than work or beer is, “Why would you leave your home? Nothing good happens when you do that.”

That being said, at Christmas he told me that he is planning to fly to Lubbock for the game to boo Chris Beard in person. This is tantamount to aggy switching to all female cheerleaders level of shock.

Beard leaving for Texas really pissed off Tech fans, at least most that I’ve run into. I’ll be shocked if Texas goes to Lubbock and wins. (Not that Texas isn’t good enough, but that place is going to be hostile.)

PS - I bought my BIL a Texas Basketball shirt for Christmas. 🤣

Edited by Droopy
Hook’em, Coach Beard! 🤘🏼
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Droopy said:

I’ll be shocked if Texas goes to Lubbock and wins. (Not that Texas isn’t good enough, but that place is going to be hostile.)

It depends on how healthy we can get, I think. Like, we almost pulled it off in Ames with 7 players but that's not really sustainable. We need to get guys back and stay healthy.

16 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Do you have insight on the relationship between Hocutt and Beard concerning Beard's departure ?

Probably no video tribute on 1 Feb ?    🙂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, torre said:

Do you have insight on the relationship between Hocutt and Beard concerning Beard's departure ?

I don't imagine the relationship is as contentious as a lot of people probably think. I think Hocutt probably legitimately felt like he was kept in the dark a little bit but he is a smart guy, and there's no way he didn't see it coming. I think most (if not all) of the stuff he said publicly was for the benefit of the fans. I worked for Rivals back in the day on the recruiting beat, but I quit a few years before he came on board and never got the chance to meet the guy. I can tell you what Gerald Myers would have said, though 🤣

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, torre said:

Didn’t matter. CDC made a compelling argument to Beard to come home and lead the transition into the Sec. He wouldn’t even entertain a counter from Tech. He was always going to leave.

On 1/6/2022 at 2:23 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Let's not go too far into the "few bad apples" myth.  Tech fans are notoriously jealous little brothers who are obsessed with their sports teams being praised more than they deserve.  They're like Aggies, but with a somewhat more developed sense of humor and far better looking coeds.

This doesn't mean Texas fans aren't notoriously arrogant douchebags who think UT sports are more relevant these days than they really are, either.  Both can be true.  That said, if Sark were to elevate the football program to a national championship level (good one, LOL) and then bolt for 'bama when Saban retires, I wouldn't think anything more than "well, kind of a lateral move given the fact we just won a title too, but whatever, they're as good as it gets".

Tech fans would incessantly whine about Beard leaving for Duke.  Perception, how does it work?

Wouldn't a more apt comparison be Sark leaving for BYU? 

4 hours ago, Satchel said:

Didn’t matter. CDC made a compelling argument to Beard to come home and lead the transition into the Sec. He wouldn’t even entertain a counter from Tech. He was always going to leave.

Yes, I'm sure CDC agonized for days before coming up with "hey Chris, wanna coach Texas?" 

On 1/6/2022 at 10:12 PM, Satchel said:

It’s surprising to me that Tech fans would not have expected CB to leave for his alma mater sooner or later.

That is the same fan base that went ballistic when David McWilliams left Lubbock for UT.  The Techtards were still pissing themselves five years later when McWilliams was fired, and it was obvious that Spike was a better coach.  As noted, this stuff has nothing to do with logic,

46 minutes ago, cochamps said:

That is the same fan base that went ballistic when David McWilliams left Lubbock for UT.  The Techtards were still pissing themselves five years later when McWilliams was fired, and it was obvious that Spike was a better coach.  As noted, this stuff has nothing to do with logic,

Texas has been addicted to the big baller shot caller sweepstakes syndrome for decades. This latest win has to turn out better than the David McWilliams fiasco. The lesson for Tech is to stop hiring Texas Exes.

13 hours ago, Satchel said:

Texas has been addicted to the big baller shot caller sweepstakes syndrome for decades. This latest win has to turn out better than the David McWilliams fiasco. The lesson for Tech is to stop hiring Texas Exes.

Big baller shot caller?  Recently, sure.  McWilliams was hired because we did want to spend the money to get a big name (John Cooper?).  One thing fore sure - McWilliams was no big name.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, cochamps said:

Big baller shot caller?  Recently, sure.  McWilliams was hired because we did want to spend the money to get a big name (John Cooper?).  One thing fore sure - McWilliams was no big name.

He was hired because he had early success in Lubbock and Texas did what it always does.