2021 Property Tax Values are out

MAUFRAIS

45 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I feel like landlords that weren't anticipating this are going to be really cash-flow pinched this year. 

you mean the landlords that in some cases havent received more than a few rent payments since March 2020 due to their renters being out of work due to covid? 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

Got dam that is nuts.  Land or improvement or both?  Mine was all improvement which is really odd considering the jump in land values around town.

They tend to seesaw those back and forth. The years it is land value it is pretty much impossible to protest, so take your shot at a reduction this year. 

17 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Always protest.  No matter what. 

19 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

I have to laugh. Down 3.5%, bitches!!

In some situations, do not protest.

From today's statesman:

TRAVIS COUNTY 2021 PROPERTY APPRAISALS

Homeowners to see tax payment surge

As market values soar, so does government’s take

Shonda Novak Austin American-Statesman | USA TODAY NETWORK

As Travis County homeowners get the 2021 property appraisal notices for their homes over the coming weeks, they will confront the doubleedged sword that is Austin’s housing market.

The values of their properties are soaring — which can be great if you are selling your home or plan to in the near future.

But if you are staying put, those rising values cut the other way, with property tax bills jumping by hundreds or even thousands of dollars every year — and that’s a scenario that’s not expected to change anytime soon.

The Travis Central Appraisal District started mailing appraisal notices this week to 389,530 property owners. The notices include the market value of the property based on its status as of Jan. 1, and the taxable value of the property based on its exemptions — and all of those numbers are rising quickly.

The median market value for all Travis County homes — the amount for which a home potentially could sell — rose by 16.6% over last year, jumping from $354,622 to $413,403, according to preliminary figures from the Travis Central Appraisal District.

See TAX, Page 11A

“The reality is homes in the Austin area are more expensive than ever.”

Vaike O’Grady

ajax-request.php?val=Image_2.jpg&action=loadImage&type=Image&pSetup=austinamericanstatesman&issue=20210417&crc=acobrd_statesman_04-17-2021_b_a_001.001_w-or9.pdf.0&edition=Austin%20American%20Statesman&mtime=5291420A&paperImage=austinamericanstatesmanzoom_in.png

The median taxable value — the value a homeowner pays taxes on — for homes in Travis County increased 9.1% to $304,832 from $279,520 last year, according to the Travis Central Appraisal District.

Find more inside

Travis property owners have until May 17 to protest appraised values. 10A Hays County homeowners see taxable values jump. 10A

Regional director in Austin for Zonda, which tracks the housing market

JAY JANNER/AMERICAN-STATESMAN

The median taxable value — the value a homeowner pays taxes on — increased 9.1%, to $304,832 from $279,520 last year. Cities, counties, school districts and other local taxing entities use that value in setting 2020 property tax bills later in the year.

Overall, the Travis County appraisal roll increased 12% to $322.9 billion, led by more than $3.9 billion in increases for residential properties, said Marya Crigler, chief appraiser of the Travis Central Appraisal District.

“In my 30 years with the appraisal district, I have never seen data that shows home prices like this,” Crigler said. “The data is showing us that home prices are increasing as the local housing market continues to be constrained by a limited supply and overwhelming demand.”

Under Texas law, the taxable value of a homeowner’s primary residence can’t increase by more than 10% per year. But as market values continue to swiftly rise, that means many homeowners are facing the prospect of multiple years of being hit with that 10% annual increase in taxable values — and the accompanying increase in their property tax bill.

That is only adding to the region’s ongoing affordability problems, as rising home prices have spiked faster than many residents’ incomes and are pricing large chunks of the population out of the market, experts say.

step of not setting new values for most properties as of Jan. 1, 2020, citing a dispute with the Austin Board of Realtors over what the board said was her “unauthorized exploitation” of its private data, including home sales prices.

As a result, Crigler she had insufficient data to set new values for most homes in the county. Crigler said she still planned to appraise new residential construction and to raise values for homes whose value had not increased to market value due to a homestead exemption.

When notices went out last spring, nearly 70% of owners saw little if any increase in their market or taxable values, and some saw declines.

In 2019, the Austin Board of Realtors had filed a cease-and-desist order to stop the appraisal district from using the board’s data. The appraisal district had purchased the information from a vendor that runs the Austin Board of Realtors’ MLS database for buying and selling homes. The database includes property descriptions and photographs of homes listed for sale, as well as sales prices.

The board said that Crigler could still do her job by getting the information through other means, the way they said other appraisal districts do across the state. Texas is one of about a dozen states where data for real estate transactions are not required to be disclosed.

This year, Crigler said, her office has “identified a new source that would provide us with the data we need to appraise properties and follow the demand letter sent to us by the Austin Board of Realtors.”

In October, the appraisal district’s board approved contracting with Carahsoft Technology Corp., for an “enhanced real estate report” produced by TransUnion. The report is a proprietary product owned and offered by Carahsoft/TransUnion, and as such does not violate the cease-and-desist letter, Crigler said.

“That report, in combination with data obtained from alternative sources such as deeds, sales questionnaires and protests, has allowed us to recalibrate our models in 2021,” Crigler said.

The initial report will cost $201,788, and the estimated cost for each periodic quarterly report is $25,000, according to minutes from the appraisal district’s October meeting.

Charles Heimsath, a real estate consultant in the Austin market for several decades, said he is “not at all surprised” by the jump in residential market values for 2021.

“The simple fact is that we are not building enough new housing,” Heimsath said. “The combination of land, labor and material shortages along with excessive regulation makes it difficult to deliver new housing in an affordable and timely manner.”

For years, that imbalance has been driving prices ever higher in the five-county Austin metro area stretching from Georgetown to San Marcos.

In March, the median price of the houses that sold both within the city of Austin and in the larger Austin region both set records, the Austin Board of Realtors said. The median price for a home in the overall region rose by 28.8% compared with last March, to a record $425,000. Within Austin’s city limits, the median sales price climbed 24.8% to $514,000 last month — a high for any month on record for Austin, the board said.

“The reality is homes in the Austin area are more expensive than ever,” said Vaike O’Grady, regional director in Austin for Zonda (formerly Metrostudy), which tracks the housing market. “ A lot of that is driven by strong relocation activity, especially from high-priced and highly taxed coastal areas. Californians For some Travis County residents, the 2021 property appraisals also will end a one-year respite in hikes to their homes’ taxable value that was brought about in part by a dispute between the Travis Central Appraisal District and Austin Board of Realtors over access to data related to home sales.

For the previous appraisal year, Crigler took the unusual

Tax

Continued from Page 1A

‘Not building enough new houses’ don’t have sticker shock, only the locals do.” O’Grady said home prices are expected to keep going up, because it is taking longer to bring new developed lots to market. “Until we see a jump in lot deliveries, plus significantly more resale listings, we’ll stay in a very hot sellers’ market,” O’Grady said.

Moving past data dispute

JAY JANNER/ AMERICAN-STATESMAN

4 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Got dam that is nuts.  Land or improvement or both?  Mine was all improvement which is really odd considering the jump in land values around town.

Improvement. Land has been high but steady. They did this a few years ago and had to beat them back.

1 minute ago, Restinmybones said:

Does anyone know where we can see actual sales prices of homes sold during the past year? I'm in Ellis County and we plan to dispute our 2021 estimated home value. Thanks. 

Sign up for redfin with a real account it gives you access to the MLS data for sold homes for the last 6 months I'm pretty sure. 

• Like 1

One of our neighbors, who was about to retire, sold his house two years ago to pay cash for a house in Pflugerville.

The dude drives down our street in Allandale all the fucking time.

Yesterday, we were out in the front yard and he rolled by and stopped. "Do you know what your house is worth?!?!?  SELL IT AND MOVE TO PFLUGERVILLE! IT'S GREAT! 10 MINUTES AWAY FROM EVERYTHING!!!!"

Me: I know for a fact it's not 10 minutes from shit that's not a Chili's or a big box store. If it's so great, why the fuck do you keep driving this neighborhood every other day for last two years since you moved?

I don't think he's gonna slow roll my house again.

6 minutes ago, bluto said:

List prices only, sold data is only on the mls

This is a screenshot from Redfin for a listing in Austin MLS.  Redfin (if you create an account and login) will show both list price and sold price (per MLS).

image.png.3985d4066ce6ffbc900f5ce48f6ea818.png

• Hook 'Em 2

This may not apply to most here, but I've used https://propertytax.io/ the past three years (live in Collin, and the service is limited to Collin, Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, Rockwall, and Harris Counties.  They are slowly expanding, though.  Used only cover Dallas and Collin.)  Usually I can cut the district's valuation increase in half.  A report costs around $25, and the site has a pretty good set of comparison tools.  Last year, the CAD employee was literally fumbling at the evidence I presented (though the appraisal board still only met me halfway; #racket). But still. I feel it's my duty as an American to protest my property tax.   

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, immamac said:

Just checked hays for my residence. Up 65% unreal. 

871070435_Screenshot_20210418-1047312.thumb.png.ef4ef660473d16d5a50849ee83211cd4.png

That’s a lot of pain, but at least Hays did what I’ve been bitching about for almost 10 years. When the overall market booms, the increase is really in the land value not the improvements (materials shortages in 2020 as an exception), but Travis County hardly changes the land value to protect people with older homes (ie the poors). Since their 1950s two bedroom shacks aren’t worth much, their improvements value doesn’t go up much either. Everyone with newer or nicer homes sees most of their year to year increase in the improvements and not the land. Just to conclude the rant, why can’t appraisers look past the cosmetic...I keep my house exterior clean and my yard mowed and my neighbor’s yard looks trashy. Despite similar size/age homes I get hit with a higher rating grade. Horse shit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Is there a single one of you claiming your appraised value is bullshit who couldn’t sell it for that price or higher right now?

Mine went up 21% and is still 20% less than my house would sell for in the next week.

yes, me I fucking posted it. There is 0 chance I could sell my house for 1.2M

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Is there a single one of you claiming your appraised value is bullshit who couldn’t sell it for that price or higher right now?

Mine went up 21% and is still 20% less than my house would sell for in the next week.

I heard a similar complaint in my Houston neighborhood when it went through large increases in appraised values for a few years in a row. "If Harris County thinks my house is worth X, then buy it from me at that amount."  Of course, the owner didn't like it when it was pointed out that the similar house next door to them was for sale for MORE than the appraised value. 

I would love to see a rule that says that if you protest the valuation, then the county can confiscate it, for their valuation, on the spot. you have a month to move out. I know that would be illegal but too many people waste the time of the appraisal district to reduce their home valuation by $1000.

House value went from $380k to $495, land only went up $5k.  The house directly across the street sold for $350kish less than 6 months ago. Granted, that house is 50 years older than mine, but it’s sitting on about the same acreage and has a pool and all kinds of extra improvements I don’t. This is in Killeen FFS. 

8 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

House value went from $380k to $495, land only went up $5k.  The house directly across the street sold for $350kish less than 6 months ago. Granted, that house is 50 years older than mine, but it’s sitting on about the same acreage and has a pool and all kinds of extra improvements I don’t. This is in Killeen FFS. 

My Houston neighborhood has been gentrifying for a 2 decades now. Harris County has struggled to clearly differentiate between original homes from the 40s, original homes that have undergone major remodels and new homes that dwarf the originals. I'm in a home that was remodeled 25 years ago and Harris County attempted to value my home as a new one. I've had to argue (successfully) that my house is no where near a new home. My point is that your neighbor doesn't sound like a comparison to your house.  

Both of your land values should be similar as I believe many jurisdictions, if not all, used a formula to calc land value for a given subdivision/section.

Couple questions for you experts.  First, if I moved in this house in August of 2020 and just filed my homestead exemption this week, will they retroactively apply the cap?  Second, just using round numbers to make life easy, if I bought it for 1M, the appraisal came in this year at 750k when it was appraised at 400k last year but I could sell it for 1.4 in less than a week, I should probably skip all forms of protest, correct?

Cap won’t apply until 2023 for you, county gets a (free) uncapped shot at it for the next Jan 1 assessment year after your purchase. You’ll get the exemption just just no cap.

As for appeal potential, your only shot is fair and equal vs similar neighbors.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/16/2021 at 1:47 PM, ZB'Tejas said:

While I agree that I’m getting a raw deal with the massive increase. (and I fully intend to protest) I can’t say that it’s beyond what I could have sold it for at the beginning of the year.

Any of you think they got raised well beyond the “actual” value?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

congrats on your imaginary profit and thanks for your income

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My Houston neighborhood has been gentrifying for a 2 decades now. Harris County has struggled to clearly differentiate between original homes from the 40s, original homes that have undergone major remodels and new homes that dwarf the originals. I'm in a home that was remodeled 25 years ago and Harris County attempted to value my home as a new one. I've had to argue (successfully) that my house is no where near a new home. My point is that your neighbor doesn't sound like a comparison to your house.  

Both of your land values should be similar as I believe many jurisdictions, if not all, used a formula to calc land value for a given subdivision/section.

Oh I agree it’s not apples to apples, but I also don’t think the delta should be $200k either just because my house is newer (9 years old at this point).the shitty part is it’s incredibly hard to find comps for my house because Killeen is almost entirely cheap homes, so it’s really difficult to ever find anything accurate. We did have an appraisal done a little over a year ago for a refinance, and we were able to knock back the last attempt at raising us. I’ll try to use that again because I doubt the appraisal would be that far off in 15 months or whatever it’s been. 

On 4/17/2021 at 9:35 AM, Steel Shank said:

In some situations, do not protest.

From today's statesman:

TRAVIS COUNTY 2021 PROPERTY APPRAISALS

Homeowners to see tax payment surge

As market values soar, so does government’s take

Shonda Novak Austin American-Statesman | USA TODAY NETWORK

As Travis County homeowners get the 2021 property appraisal notices for their homes over the coming weeks, they will confront the doubleedged sword that is Austin’s housing market.

The values of their properties are soaring — which can be great if you are selling your home or plan to in the near future.

But if you are staying put, those rising values cut the other way, with property tax bills jumping by hundreds or even thousands of dollars every year — and that’s a scenario that’s not expected to change anytime soon.

The Travis Central Appraisal District started mailing appraisal notices this week to 389,530 property owners. The notices include the market value of the property based on its status as of Jan. 1, and the taxable value of the property based on its exemptions — and all of those numbers are rising quickly.

The median market value for all Travis County homes — the amount for which a home potentially could sell — rose by 16.6% over last year, jumping from $354,622 to $413,403, according to preliminary figures from the Travis Central Appraisal District.

See TAX, Page 11A

“The reality is homes in the Austin area are more expensive than ever.”

Vaike O’Grady

ajax-request.php?val=Image_2.jpg&action=loadImage&type=Image&pSetup=austinamericanstatesman&issue=20210417&crc=acobrd_statesman_04-17-2021_b_a_001.001_w-or9.pdf.0&edition=Austin%20American%20Statesman&mtime=5291420A&paperImage=austinamericanstatesmanzoom_in.png

The median taxable value — the value a homeowner pays taxes on — for homes in Travis County increased 9.1% to $304,832 from $279,520 last year, according to the Travis Central Appraisal District.

Find more inside

Travis property owners have until May 17 to protest appraised values. 10A Hays County homeowners see taxable values jump. 10A

Regional director in Austin for Zonda, which tracks the housing market

JAY JANNER/AMERICAN-STATESMAN

The median taxable value — the value a homeowner pays taxes on — increased 9.1%, to $304,832 from $279,520 last year. Cities, counties, school districts and other local taxing entities use that value in setting 2020 property tax bills later in the year.

Overall, the Travis County appraisal roll increased 12% to $322.9 billion, led by more than $3.9 billion in increases for residential properties, said Marya Crigler, chief appraiser of the Travis Central Appraisal District.

“In my 30 years with the appraisal district, I have never seen data that shows home prices like this,” Crigler said. “The data is showing us that home prices are increasing as the local housing market continues to be constrained by a limited supply and overwhelming demand.”

Under Texas law, the taxable value of a homeowner’s primary residence can’t increase by more than 10% per year. But as market values continue to swiftly rise, that means many homeowners are facing the prospect of multiple years of being hit with that 10% annual increase in taxable values — and the accompanying increase in their property tax bill.

That is only adding to the region’s ongoing affordability problems, as rising home prices have spiked faster than many residents’ incomes and are pricing large chunks of the population out of the market, experts say.

step of not setting new values for most properties as of Jan. 1, 2020, citing a dispute with the Austin Board of Realtors over what the board said was her “unauthorized exploitation” of its private data, including home sales prices.

As a result, Crigler she had insufficient data to set new values for most homes in the county. Crigler said she still planned to appraise new residential construction and to raise values for homes whose value had not increased to market value due to a homestead exemption.

When notices went out last spring, nearly 70% of owners saw little if any increase in their market or taxable values, and some saw declines.

In 2019, the Austin Board of Realtors had filed a cease-and-desist order to stop the appraisal district from using the board’s data. The appraisal district had purchased the information from a vendor that runs the Austin Board of Realtors’ MLS database for buying and selling homes. The database includes property descriptions and photographs of homes listed for sale, as well as sales prices.

The board said that Crigler could still do her job by getting the information through other means, the way they said other appraisal districts do across the state. Texas is one of about a dozen states where data for real estate transactions are not required to be disclosed.

This year, Crigler said, her office has “identified a new source that would provide us with the data we need to appraise properties and follow the demand letter sent to us by the Austin Board of Realtors.”

In October, the appraisal district’s board approved contracting with Carahsoft Technology Corp., for an “enhanced real estate report” produced by TransUnion. The report is a proprietary product owned and offered by Carahsoft/TransUnion, and as such does not violate the cease-and-desist letter, Crigler said.

“That report, in combination with data obtained from alternative sources such as deeds, sales questionnaires and protests, has allowed us to recalibrate our models in 2021,” Crigler said.

The initial report will cost $201,788, and the estimated cost for each periodic quarterly report is $25,000, according to minutes from the appraisal district’s October meeting.

Charles Heimsath, a real estate consultant in the Austin market for several decades, said he is “not at all surprised” by the jump in residential market values for 2021.

“The simple fact is that we are not building enough new housing,” Heimsath said. “The combination of land, labor and material shortages along with excessive regulation makes it difficult to deliver new housing in an affordable and timely manner.”

For years, that imbalance has been driving prices ever higher in the five-county Austin metro area stretching from Georgetown to San Marcos.

In March, the median price of the houses that sold both within the city of Austin and in the larger Austin region both set records, the Austin Board of Realtors said. The median price for a home in the overall region rose by 28.8% compared with last March, to a record $425,000. Within Austin’s city limits, the median sales price climbed 24.8% to $514,000 last month — a high for any month on record for Austin, the board said.

“The reality is homes in the Austin area are more expensive than ever,” said Vaike O’Grady, regional director in Austin for Zonda (formerly Metrostudy), which tracks the housing market. “ A lot of that is driven by strong relocation activity, especially from high-priced and highly taxed coastal areas. Californians For some Travis County residents, the 2021 property appraisals also will end a one-year respite in hikes to their homes’ taxable value that was brought about in part by a dispute between the Travis Central Appraisal District and Austin Board of Realtors over access to data related to home sales.

For the previous appraisal year, Crigler took the unusual

Tax

Continued from Page 1A

‘Not building enough new houses’ don’t have sticker shock, only the locals do.” O’Grady said home prices are expected to keep going up, because it is taking longer to bring new developed lots to market. “Until we see a jump in lot deliveries, plus significantly more resale listings, we’ll stay in a very hot sellers’ market,” O’Grady said.

Moving past data dispute

JAY JANNER/ AMERICAN-STATESMAN

How does ANY politician or Pasken think this system does anything other than push the middle and working class out of the city.  It is a feature, not a bug, and then we get our cheerleaders complaining about not being able to "build affordable housing" by "upzoning" and multifamily units.  No city has ever help housing supply or lowered costs due to upzoning with million dollar condos and townhomes.

One of our neighbors, who was about to retire, sold his house two years ago to pay cash for a house in Pflugerville.
The dude drives down our street in Allandale all the fucking time.
Yesterday, we were out in the front yard and he rolled by and stopped. "Do you know what your house is worth?!?!?  SELL IT AND MOVE TO PFLUGERVILLE! IT'S GREAT! 10 MINUTES AWAY FROM EVERYTHING!!!!"
Me: I know for a fact it's not 10 minutes from shit that's not a Chili's or a big box store. If it's so great, why the fuck do you keep driving this neighborhood every other day for last two years since you moved?
I don't think he's gonna slow roll my house again.

A) if you don’t mind tolls, Pflugerville is pretty convenient. ~20 minutes to 35th and Lamar, Cedar park or the airport. Bonus: no tent cities.
B) even if you wanted to, you’re too late. There isn’t anything for sale out here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bought our house last year, so knew that Travis was going to try to get their cut. 

However, it is now appraised for for almost $70K more than we paid for it in July 2020, and 35% more than the 2020 tax appraisal. Also, the amount of taxes will increase by 52%, even though it is HS. 

The kicker is they are saying the improvements increased in value from 2020 by 86%. Yeah right. I would beleive the land did, but the actual sticks and wires and plumbing? That shit is another year older. It didn't suddenly almost double in value overnight. 

Five Stone better do their shit. I will gladly pay them a percent if they can save me that ridiculous increase. 

Edited by hornian

On 4/16/2021 at 1:24 PM, mapplewhite132 said:

My appraised value went up 35% and my taxable value went up 24%. I have a homestead and called to ask why my increase wasn't capped at 10%....the lady told me it was a "mistake" and would be fixed in a month or so. Fucking racket

Mine is homesteaded. May taxes allegedly are going up 52%. 

On 4/16/2021 at 3:46 PM, Anastasis said:

Always protest.  No matter what. 

I agree. You may not save much money each time, but it compounds - well, actually, the opposite of compounds. Discounts? Anyway, future increases are being increased from a lower number.