2021 Wildfire Thread

MoJames

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 5:34 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Damnit, I was going to post it.  

And I don't care, I love that song.

I had never heard it and thought lets give it a whirl....  That has got to be one of the gayest, nttawwt, songs I have ever heard.  I was willing to overlook the terribad video it is set to with all the horses and give it a chance.  So i waited for the voice. 

Nope, he doesn't even hit the opening notes.  Not only is he pitchy it has terrible lyrics.  C'mon man.  You are better than this.    

Just getting back from a trip with my Dad and brother to Sandpoint Idaho on the Clark Fork River.  Very dry, but not the locals arent too worried about fire , for the time being.  Had a bear come in to camp this morning, likley hangs out in the meadow we fished/camped.   Dad spotted him first on the bathroom break, then the others saw him 10 min later.

• 2 weeks later...

Just drove the loop through New Mexico to Cali and back to Texas via Arizona. Saw at least 5 fires up in the hills. Dry and shit and everywhere were Extreme levels. Sequoia had no fire signs everywhere. 

Good friend works for BLM as a helicopter mechanic and has been constantly deployed for about 60 days. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2021 at 6:40 AM, Kennythetiger said:

If there are no people in direct danger, I always kind of cheer for the fire. I never understood why they’re not allowed to burn longer. 

That wouldn't be so terrible from an ecological perspective if we hadn't spent nearly 100 years trying to put out every little blaze that popped up. Now we are pretty much left with the choice of no fire or catastrophic blaze in much of the west.

• Hook 'Em 2

Meanwhile, the Mediterranean in Europe burns: https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/04/europe/southern-europe-extreme-weather-intl/index.html

https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/mediterranean-has-become-wildfire-hotspot-eu-scientists-say-2021-08-04/

Wonder what life will be like after 15-20 years of this.

Edited by Mdhorn

Hotter. Deadlier. But don’t worry, the leaders who matter will stick with their complete denial of reality.

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

And the town of Greenville, CA is gone.  Dixie Fire has torn up a big chunk of the area just to the northeast of Paradise, which burned to the ground a couple of years ago.  PG&E supposedly part of the cause AGAIN.

My wife's first cousin and husband live (well, lived I guess) in Greenville. Their house that they moved into about a year ago is burned to the ground like the rest of the town. They evacuated last week and you could apparently see embers flying by on their Ring doorbell camera. Sounds like they were able to go back only to get evacuated again. Her brother texted my wife last night to say the firefighters had to pull out once all the propane tanks started bursting.

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

My wife's first cousin and husband live (well, lived I guess) in Greenville. Their house that they moved into about a year ago is burned to the ground like the rest of the town. They evacuated last week and you could apparently see embers flying by on their Ring doorbell camera. Sounds like they were able to go back only to get evacuated again. Her brother texted my wife last night to say the firefighters had to pull out once all the propane tanks started bursting.

God dammit.  This also has closed a big part of the Pacific Crest Trail, which is a big blow to me personally.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

God dammit.  This also has closed a big part of the Pacific Crest Trail, which is a big blow to me personally.

I have a buddy doing it this year. He had to hitch around it. Pictures looked nuts. 

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

This picture was taken yesterday in Fraser, CO. The Continental Divide is only a couple miles away. Can't even see it. This is smoke from CA fires, not CO fires. 67fab73f17f77895b7f7746ddcf2cb5e.jpg

Yesterday Denver had the worst air quality of any major city in the world.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

World Central Kitchen is amazing.  It's Jose Andreas' doing.  Here's a link for wildfire assistance, but they do it all over the world.  It's seriously one of the best charities I've ever seen in terms of being able to see your dollars actually go to work and help people in real time.

https://donate.wck.org/give/345379/?utm_source=WCK+UPDATES&utm_campaign=19b1d7c4c3-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2020_08_08_03_30_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_82ab35d2e2-19b1d7c4c3-123264858#!/donation/checkout

WCK mobilizes in response to California’s Dixie Fire

On Friday, the WCK Relief Team arrived in northern California to assess the Dixie and River Fires which have devastated several communities northeast of the Bay Area, forcing many residents to evacuate. The Dixie Fire is the second largest wildfire in California history affecting Butte, Tehama, Lassen, and Plumas counties with more than 500,000 acres burned. The fire has been ongoing for nearly a month, and dry heat and winds have helped to fuel its rapid spread. 

e136b901-923e-ca54-564f-e099d99b72ae.jpe
54b28a24-3175-2e5c-71ea-94d2d9b5688f.jpe
Last week, the fire tragically destroyed the town of Greenville in Plumas County. Most families have evacuated to the nearby towns of Quincy and Susanville where they are staying with family and friends or camping in their vehicles. To support evacuees in Quincy, WCK has partnered with local restaurants to help their neighbors in need; families can come into partner restaurants and order meals from the menu while WCK covers the cost. When our team arrived onsite on Saturday, restaurants in the community had been providing meals to people as they were able, so the WCK team is here to support what the community had already started – helping these small businesses continue to cook for their neighbors.
08e6d10d-1a2b-23d4-0d1a-542ea5b95663.jpe
333e8f21-3606-741f-a329-c5b8b830e266.jpe

As much of the area is still under mandatory evacuation orders, the WCK Relief Team is also bringing nourishing restaurant meals and drinking water to people who have remained at home — most of whom have no power. We have been making these deliveries into Greenville, Taylorsville, and Crescent Mills, and sharing meals with members of the National Guard and emergency responders we find along the route. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1