Abbott Gonna Build a Texas Wall. No Details on Cost or Location

atomheartbevo

On 6/29/2021 at 5:08 PM, Neonmoon said:

We got Mercs coming now. Seems totally legal 

Sincerely, this should be a huge news story. Pure Oligarchy, Russian shit here.

As i heard somewhere else, it's now ok for Gavin Newsome to solicit money from Jeff Bezos in order to deploy the CA National Guard for any political whim?

18 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The counties that have been removed are where the actual illegal crossing are happening (RGV, El Paso).

yeah, it is interesting.. the most 5 most populated border counties have been dropped.

Is this because they are blue counties? Or they never asked for a disaster declaration so he can't make one?

They didn’t declare a disaster so he can’t use them. I’m sure there are plenty of politics involved as well.

2 minutes ago, Updawg said:

They didn’t declare a disaster so he can’t use them. I’m sure there are plenty of politics involved as well.

Yeah "don't use us for your fucking dog and pony show, you piece of shit" 

18 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

“One of the things that he did better than anything else and definitely better than any other president is he stepped up, and he secured our border and kept Texas and Americans safe,” Abbott said.

So why did more citizens die (horribly) under trump than any other President ever?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Player said:

Henry also announced that he signed an executive order which will:
1.    approve American Rescue Plan Act funding to send law enforcement to assist with the border crisis.
2.    dedicate up to 10% ($6.6 million) of Galveston County’s American Rescue Plan Act funds for border wall construction.
3.    create a task force that will help support or relieve DPS in regard to the border crisis.

uhhhh, I don't think the ARP will allow funds to be diverted. am I wrong?

“You’re not being directly impacted by what’s happening on the border, so why take this kind of a stance?” asked Arnold.

“Very fair question. First of all, we have seen bi-partisan cries for help from the border counties,” said Henry.

Henry said he’ll use funds from the federal American Rescue Plan to pay for Galveston law enforcement helping out on the border. The Rescue Plan involved the federal government sending $350 billion to state and local municipalities to help offset the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Henry said Galveston County received $66 million from the federal government. Henry said he is also pledging up to $6 million of this money to help pay for a border wall if Gov. Greg Abbott can come up with a definitive plan.

“That money couldn’t be spent here in Galveston County?” asked Arnold.

“I would argue this is being spent here, it’s just not being spent here in this county. It’s being spent for the betterment of this county,” said Henry.

“The federal government sent this money for public health issues, so how are you using this for the border then?” asked Arnold.

“Because we consider it to be a public health crisis,” said Henry.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/2021/06/30/galveston-montgomery-county-to-send-local-resources-to-help-with-border-crisis/

Truly, you have a dizzying intellect Mr. Henry. 

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

If only he could roll back time

Is funny all the main counties dropped out. Eventually this will have Tyler and Nacogdoches in it

I'd happily contribute my wreath money to any wall project around East Texas and/or Bryan-College Station.

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo

Fun fact---the 118 mile border with Mexico that is shared by Big Bend National Park has a curious equation.  According to Gov. Abbott's budget, it would cost $2.7bn to build that wall just along Big Bend.  The entire annual budget for the National Park Service is that exact same amount, $2.7bn.  

I ask you conservatives, given the word "conservation"...which would you rather have...a completely worthless and ineffective $2.7bn wall to keep Mexicans out of Big Bend because of all the lawnmowing job opportunities the park affords Americans each year...or would you rather have a fully funded U.S. National Park Service to keep our nation's greatest physical assets protected for our grandchildren to enjoy?  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Fun fact---the 118 mile border with Mexico that is shared by Big Bend National Park has a curious equation.  According to Gov. Abbott's budget, it would cost $2.7bn to build that wall just along Big Bend.  The entire annual budget for the National Park Service is that exact same amount, $2.7bn.  

I ask you conservatives, given the word "conservation"...which would you rather have...a completely worthless and ineffective $2.7bn wall to keep Mexicans out of Big Bend because of all the lawnmowing job opportunities the park affords Americans each year...or would you rather have a fully funded U.S. National Park Service to keep our nation's greatest physical assets protected for our grandchildren to enjoy?  

are you really asking racists to not be racist?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Be careful what you ask for because the answer is 100.000000000000000000% the first one.

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Depends -- will brown people's grandchildren be allowed to enjoy the parks?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

Dems have threatened to file a lawsuit. So, we shall see?

Yes, they have also requested Yellen and the US Treasury make sure ARP funds aren't being spent on border walls.  

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/06/30/texas-donald-trump-greg-abbott-border-wall/

Former President Donald Trump on Wednesday joined Texas’ top state leaders at the U.S.-Mexico border to slam the Biden administration’s immigration policies during a visit to the “unfinished border wall.”

“We have an open, really dangerous border,” Trump said during a news conference at the Department of Public Safety’s Weslaco headquarters. “We better go back fast.”

“You look at this border, and you [know] what you see? You see an unfinished border,” Abbott said. “This is Biden’s fault because President Biden is not continuing what President Trump began. President Biden needs to start right there and finish building the border wall.”
“One of the things that he did better than anything else and definitely better than any other president is he stepped up, and he secured our border and kept Texas and Americans safe,” Abbott said.
So wait, as soon as Trump left office, the border security evaporated?
For his part, Trump revived talking points from his political rallies saying that he had overseen “the best border we’ve ever had in the history of our country” and falsely stating his administration had stopped human trafficking.
Trump received praise from most of the attendees at the border security briefing, which included law enforcement and former Trump administration immigration officials, as well as Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick and Attorney General Ken Paxton.
State Rep. James White, R-Hilister, who announced Wednesday he will challenge Republican incumbent Sid Miller, a Trump ally, for agriculture commissioner also attended the event.
“There's one place to solve all the problems on the border, and that is on the border,” Abbott said. “That's exactly where the Biden administration needs to devote their resources to get the job done.”
Greg, turn in that UT degree, because you're a fucking embarrassment.  You want to stop illegals coming over, help shore up their countries, go after identity theft (have the IRS and Social Security Administration clean up their databases and prosecute those fucking around) and drop the fucking hammer on American companies hiring them.  If Tyson actually suffered from hiring shitloads of them, they might be a little more careful about who they hire.
Oh wait, too many Texas real estate developers rely on them, so better to throw a ton of money at a wall that won't work.

Going after them is expensive and stupid. Going after the companies that hire them is worthwhile if you change the laws.

Let’s say $100k fine for hiring an illegal/ per illegal/ per year. No bankruptcy protection, payment must be made even if trying to fight it in court to recover assets if they win.

Illegal immigration solved.
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

D.C. needs to cut off every fucking cent of federal funding to this shitty state.  We fucking deserve it.

Unfortunately true. Other states should be getting pissed at us. We love to take but give the finger in return

Guest Lobo

Wall Shrinkage?  Very rare these days.  

Only way to get Trump to extend his steel is with pictures of Ivanka.  

• 3 weeks later...

So using round numbers.  1000 miles.  $20mm/mile (it's more than that, but I'll assume we'll hit some sort of 'bulk discount' with Home Depot after 100 miles).

$20,000,000,000.  $20 billion dollars.  With a B.  Most of it going through a desert that maybe 100 people use to cross each year.  

$20,000,000,000.  That's about 1/6th of our entire annualized budget.  

It will create a couple thousands jobs and some man-camps out in the desert, otherwise...that's it.  It has no other economic or social benefit to the citizens.  It'll actually fuck up transportation in certain regions as trucks and equipment beat up roads.  Nobody gets a better education.  Nobody will get better health care.  Nobody gets better infrastructure.  Figure the land lawsuits for those that refuse to turn over property, plus the lawsuits of the 7 men who'll die wrongfully building this fucking thing, that'll cost us $50mm.  Plus the tens of millions in lost property taxes for those local municipalities who have borderlands running through their property tax jurisdictions.  That should properly fuck over a bunch of schools, that based on geography, probably ain't doing that fucking great anyway. 

Nevermind the logistics of this thing.  Where the fuck are all the hundreds of guys working on the wall from Del Rio to Comstock, along the river/big bend supposed to eat dipshit?  Just brown bag it from Fort Stockton?  You're gonna have to spend tens of millions setting up man-camps with power, wastewater, freshwater, showers, dozens of emergency mobile clinics for injuries out in the middle of nowhere, new roads, to move perpendicular to assemblage areas, refrigerated trucks for food supply to remote areas, etc.  You can't just stick those guys out there in campers with porta-lets and a taco truck for six months.  You're gonna have to build multiple, modular, mobile cities along the border at the same time and then move them up and down the river as you need them.  You'll have to stage those mobile villages from El Paso to Brownsville and a half dozen cities in between to be deployed southward.  The planning and execution of just the staging centers alone will take 1-2 years and another $50 million.  Some of the technology you'll need to do this hasn't even been built yet.  

But oh wait, Abbott gave reasons why we should do it even though it's next to impossible and will cost us $30bn when it's all over which is enough to rebuild ERCOT 2 times over.  So I guess that's a good enough reason.  The guy with the engineering, mathematical, and logistics chops of a Haitian high-rise architect.  

On 7/19/2021 at 11:46 AM, Lobo said:

So using round numbers.  1000 miles.  $20mm/mile (it's more than that, but I'll assume we'll hit some sort of 'bulk discount' with Home Depot after 100 miles).

This guy spent $30 million for 3 miles.   And he did it thinking Steve Bannon was going to pay him, LOL

Of course, now he'd like his $30 million back.

If the motherfuckers running our state give it to him, we need to shift from grifting MAGA to grifting the state.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-07-22/trump-border-wall-builder-tommy-fisher-is-looking-for-a-buyer

When Tommy Fisher heard the call for a big, beautiful wall, he erected a 3-mile fence along the Rio Grande. Now all he needs is someone to buy it back.

To get to Tommy Fisher’s private border wall in Texas, I drive south from the city of McAllen, then west on Military Road, past a chunk of redundant, abandoned federal border wall, and from there onto a dirt path through a sugar cane farm down to the Rio Grande. When I arrive, Fisher is waiting, wearing a Western-style plaid shirt, wraparound sunglasses, and a mesh baseball cap featuring his company’s logo. 

By trade a builder of more prosaic infrastructure, such as dams and freeways, Fisher greets me by launching into a baffling sermon on his wall’s technical specifications.

Mostly what I perceive is that we’re at its very edge, meaning we could theoretically walk around it and swim 100 yards to Mexico. Across the river, near the city of Reynosa, which has lately been wracked by unusually intense cartel violence, is a park with wooden docks and straw-roofed gazebos. Beyond the park, according to Fisher, is at least one cartel stash house, where drugs or people are stowed before being smuggled to America. 

There are two private-sector border walls attempting to separate Mexico from the U.S., and Fisher Sand & Gravel Co. has built them both. The first, erected in the summer of 2019, is nestled in a mountainous half-mile stretch of New Mexico.

The second—this one—is more ambitious. Completed last year, it’s about a 90-minute drive from the Gulf of Mexico, under the low, heavy skies of South Texas’ Rio Grande Valley. The structure is 3 miles long, hugging a severe bend in the river, and consists of roughly 15,000 18-foot-tall gray steel bollards, spaced 5 inches apart and set in a wide concrete foundation. (In this sense it’s more like a fence, but for simplicity’s sake I’ll mainly call it a wall.) 

Fisher continues pummeling me with information about his creation—“galvanized steel,” “modified spread footing”—sounding like a proud parent, or maybe an anxious student, at a science fair. “If I only did 1,000 or 2,000 feet, everyone’s going to make fun,” he says. “No one can really make fun of this.”

“I was like, ‘This would be really fun. This would be a project that would be remembered, like the Hoover Dam’”

“We’re gonna talk to Tommy Fisher, who is North Dakota-born-and-bred, which is why he was able to build 3 miles of wall in 30 days,”

In the first few years after the 2016 election, Fisher spent more than $100,000 on lobbying in Washington and mounted a media blitz, claiming on Newsmax and Fox Newsthat his company could build a wall faster and cheaper than anyone else, thanks to vertical integration that included doing its own land excavation and cement mixing. 

Fisher Sand & Gravel’s history with the government wasn’t pristine. In 2009 one of Fisher’s brothers had been sentenced to 37 months in prison for filing doctored tax returns on behalf of himself and the company, which paid $1.1 million to the IRS as part of a plea agreement. Separately, the company has racked up close to $1 million in fines for environmental, labor, and safety violations.

Eventually, Fisher got the sense that Bannon’s gang wasn’t necessarily committed to another wall. After he called WBTW for another payment and it never came, he kicked Foreman Mike off the site, parted ways with the organization, and started funding the project with company money.

Fisher contested the suits, confident that when construction was complete, the U.S. government would want to buy what he was calling the “Lamborghini” of walls.

Fisher’s private 3-mile wall seemed destined to live on as a monument to the nativism, opportunism, and general half-assery of the Trump era.

Ideally, Fisher wouldn’t just sell off his wall—he’d expand it, charging $20 million per additional mile.

Long-ass article, really long, including lots of info about why Texas is unique (due to its joining the Union and keeping its border areas, etc.).

But mainly

Captain America Laughing GIF by mtv

• Hook 'Em 1