Austin Mass Shooting

Guest Lobo

35 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

No the takeaway is slanted journalism and false narratives. We don’t talk about people getting mowed down by guns anymore. It’s boring.

You want to talk about false narratives? This very thread is proof positive that you are an complete and total idiot. I promise you that no matter how much you clutch your set of imaginary pearls, @NowThisis not going to let you stick his dildo up your ass.

• Hook 'Em 2

Usually when it’s a terrible crime involving juveniles we will eventually hear from their parents. The explanations or denial of said crime/ my kid is just fabulous…this stuff always triggers me. Always. No matter the crime or the race of the offender…the parents should just shut the up and get their kid a good lawyer. But we always end up hearing from them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I tell my kids all the time, it usually always comes back to parenting. If you are an asshole person, then whether by learned behavior or just simple neglect, you are going to have asshole children.

The whole concept of parenting is predicated on having present parent(s), present in terms of physical presence but also aware that you are always teaching your kids. Just because you have kids doesn't make you a parent.

This opens up Pandora's Box about socioeconomic and cultural issues but that's for another thread. 

Yea these kids are fucking idiots. I don't think it's a stretch to say that their parents are fucking idiots too.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

Yep. The “good kid” is sadly the one lying in a coffin right now. All because he decided to come to Austin for a vacation. He suffered horribly according to his brother due to the nature of his bullet wound. The good kid is dead. These two asshats will probably live a long life. I just hope they don’t turn out to be lifelong shitheads. We already have enough of those running free all over the place. We don’t need more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

these shitheads will get sent to prison for a long fucking time. they shot a bunch of people. the state and we the people will make sure that happens.

Yeah, Travis County and Jose Garza will nail them to a cross, alright.  I'm guessing 180 hours of community service.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

More collateral damage from the shooting between two mother fucking assholes. Mother of 5 now paralyzed. This made me cry. I just cannot. I believe she is the woman you see in the videos upthread the police were carrying. And before people start saying defund the police jokes—we are lucky that incident didn’t keep them from responding elsewhere. For other shitheads murdering people. It’s not just about guns. If people stopped breaking the fucking law we’d need fewer of the police. My rant is done. I’m sorry but this story is extremely upsetting. I apologize for offending anyone. 

“Family of a 6th street shooting victim are looking to the community for help with medical expenses.

Jessica Ramirez was out on 6th street Friday night into Saturday morning to celebrate turning 34 later that weekend. She was one of 13 people shot in a mass shooting that left one person dead.

Douglas John Kantor, 25, was in Austin, visiting from out of town, when he was shot and later died at the hospital after fighting for his life for over 30 hours.

As of Monday, Jessica’s mother Bilma told CBS Austin Jessica is in stable condition after a five hour surgery over the weekend, but she has yet to hear her daughter talk because of the tube in her mouth. Bilma said the bullet went into Jessica’s right shoulder and hit her spine and one of her lungs before exiting out of the other shoulder. 

The 34-year-old doesn’t have feeling below her waist.

“I’m still emotional for what my daughter is going through. It wasn’t her fault, she just wanted to go out to celebrate her birthday. And I’m hurting so much for her, for her kids, my grandkids and her family is hurting, too.” said Bilma.

Jessica turned 34 on Sunday in a hospital bed.

She has five kids that range from 9-16 years old. With no medical insurance, family is hoping a crowdfunding account can help raise money to pay for medical expenses and therapy needed to help Jessica walk again.

“I just told (the kids) ‘mom is in the hospital, she’s going to get better. We need a lot of prayers for her. Mama needs y’all to be strong for her. We need to stay together, need to be there for mom.’ They understood they, they cried,” said Bilma.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

I rode an EX650 Ninja for over a decade before I kept the promise to myself I made, in that I’d take a long break once I had kids.  Harley people are certainly the worse, particularly since they take such pride in their incredibly over priced, under braked and laughably outdated $20k machines.  Watching dozens overheat in the ‘parade’ line down to 6th street was always hilarious.  

However squids on open piped super sports that they can barely manage straight and level on the highway, let alone in a parking lot on such tall saddles with low clip ons…are a close second. 

I kept going to ROT since 2007, even after I sold my ride, because it was the one time of year I had unfettered time to chill with some of my oldest friends.  Skipped out on this year due to skyrocketing prices + sheer boredom with the whole thing.  

I didn’t miss it one bit.  So many weekend warrior faux hard cases, mixed with legit hard case 1%’ers and lots of booze = a boring dystopia.  I’ve had to call 911 twice out there, and am well versed with their professional fagatronics as a group…but they’re mostly blow hards, so was pretty sure they weren’t the types to throw down on 6th street.  

So, gottdam juvenile gangsta wannebes bring their shit to Austin, then kill a tourist bystander and cripple a mother of five? Way to show off your manhood, dipshits.

Too bad the overextended & defunded APD can’t control the underage punks who have been inundating Dirty Sixth for the past 20 years.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

You think people who are willing to engage in a shootout on 6th are going to obey a curfew?

Yeah, drinking underage, public intoxication, illegal (or at least, questionable) handgun carry, attempted murder in the days before (alleged drive-by), openly firing on a crowd of people just yards away from cops.  But the curfew was gonna keep them in check.  

Actually, maybe it would.  They did catch one dipshit hiding out at summer school.  Maybe the curfew thing was their alibi all along.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, drinking underage, public intoxication, illegal (or at least, questionable) handgun carry, attempted murder in the days before (alleged drive-by), openly firing on a crowd of people just yards away from cops.  But the curfew was gonna keep them in check.  

Actually, maybe it would.  They did catch one dipshit hiding out at summer school.  Maybe the curfew thing was their alibi all along.  

Maybe the CoA should’ve had their social worker de-escalation team on 6th to keep them calmed down.

"Team"?  You mean the one employee and their intern?  I am all for scaling back police from taking calls that are clearly mental health/social work/drug instances (save for the 1% of those that turn violent).  But City of Austin is just being truly exceptional...they're scaling that back despite being huge proponents of it, they're scaling back gang units, gun and human trafficking units, not enforcing aggressive panhandling/homeless violence, etc.  

They're basically pinning down APD to do nothing more than traffic/parking enforcement.  

I mean, these asshole kids on 6th street did this shit within a matter of yards from the usual 2am Sixth Street patrols and just a few blocks from APD HQ.  Defund the Police or More Fund the Police, neither is gonna solve this shit.  

Based on the AAS article it sounds like the witness to the shooting (whom the suspect had shot prior in Killeen) was also shot on 6th street. His sister posted on social media that she and her brother were going to 6th street. Asshole suspect obviously saw her post about going to Austin and HE posted that he too was going to Austin. Pretty fucking premeditated if you ask me. Fuck that POS.

What’s so crazy about the world we live in is that if he had been shot and killed by police while resisting arrest the city would have burnt to the ground. Note I am not condoning deadly force by the police if it is not necessary. Nor would I care if the city of Killeen burnt to the ground. But it says a lot about society. Biggest mass event in Austin since 2014 (when that asshat drove into the festival—around the barricades). A man is dead and a woman paralyzed. We don’t protest over that or block the highway. But if the lowest common denominator of society were to be killed unjustly by police the city would be torn apart. I scratch my head over this. Or that a death is somehow more outrageous and tragic if it’s by police or by a gun. I guess I am just getting old that I don’t understand. Any of this. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

"Team"?  You mean the one employee and their intern?  I am all for scaling back police from taking calls that are clearly mental health/social work/drug instances (save for the 1% of those that turn violent).  But City of Austin is just being truly exceptional...they're scaling that back despite being huge proponents of it, they're scaling back gang units, gun and human trafficking units, not enforcing aggressive panhandling/homeless violence, etc.  

They're basically pinning down APD to do nothing more than traffic/parking enforcement.  

I mean, these asshole kids on 6th street did this shit within a matter of yards from the usual 2am Sixth Street patrols and just a few blocks from APD HQ.  Defund the Police or More Fund the Police, neither is gonna solve this shit.  

Oh, they’re making the city safer? 😉

More collateral damage…sad shit…Also, this is the young woman seen being carried by police to the ambulance. I had thought it was the mom of 5 but it is the 19 year old girl.

Adrianna Salazar, 19, was celebrating her 19th birthday in Downtown Austin at an 18+ club on Saturday when things turned dangerous on Sixth Street as gunshots hit 14 victims. Salazar was shot in both legs and is still in the hospital recovering from her extensive injuries.

"I don't really wish this upon anyone, including myself or my family, but I'm hanging in there trying to stay strong," said Adrianna Salazar. "We just really need help with the medical expenses. Anything really helps – any little thing."

A powerful photo of officers carrying her to safety moments after the shooting has made the rounds on social media.

Her family said a bullet went through her right leg and into her left leg, where it is still stuck as of Tuesday. The Salazar family said she is re-learning to walk and is going through intense therapy to help her walk on her own. 

35683720-07E9-4F4A-95E5-D4DED8DDBC21.jpeg

35F56DD0-F02C-4191-9D94-331E31C0BF07.png

Sorry to get into the weeds again, but that article says 14 people received gunshots.  Not just injuries in the ensuing chaos, but 14 people actually got clipped.  That's the same as the original report, and then different from the weekend which said it was just 14 plain injured.  How the fuck did 2 poorly trained idiots, at night, presumably under the influence of something, with just pistols hit that many people?  They just stood around reloading ammo in plain view of hundreds of people and dozens of cops?  That corner is just teaming with police at that hour.  Plus no camera video picks them up reloading.  What the fuck? 

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Sorry to get into the weeds again, but that article says 14 people received gunshots.  Not just injuries in the ensuing chaos, but 14 people actually got clipped.  That's the same as the original report, and then different from the weekend which said it was just 14 plain injured.  How the fuck did 2 poorly trained idiots, at night, presumably under the influence of something, with just pistols hit that many people?  They just stood around reloading ammo in plain view of hundreds of people and dozens of cops?  That corner is just teaming with police at that hour.  Plus no camera video picks them up reloading.  What the fuck? 

Ever heard the metaphor "like shooting fish in a barrel?"

That's exactly the density of the crowd down there at that time of night.  Send a bullet downrange there, it WILL hit someone.  Fire 10 shots, you'll hit AT LEAST 10 people, maybe more (if it passes through, etc.).

Doesn't take a marksman to hit.....fish in a barrel.

• Hook 'Em 1

I get the crowd part, but it's not that crowded, not like everybody was standing in queue for an SWA flight...people can still run and flee at that point.  The two dipshits would have to have hit someone with every single round.  That's not commonplace at shooting instances.  Look at South Chicago as a reference.  I get there's a lot of people but after the first few rounds, people are gonna disperse/hide or at least be on the move.  These boys are not gonna hit moving targets with every single shot at 2am.  I just find it odd, that's all. 

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I was under the impression they were trying to kill each other and just weren’t very good marksmen.

That’s the unfortunate part. Or fortunate for the kid that the suspect wanted dead. Shot that guy two separate times and both times in the leg. I’m curious as to why the suspect was not in jail for the Killeen shooting. Also it’s great to know a bunch of teens are packing on 6th street full of pent up rage for middle school rivals. 

Edited by Nicole44

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

thats fucking horrifying.  fuck.

Yep. Happy 19th Birthday to her. I wonder if she will ever want to be in a crowd again. It’s not just the physical injuries and rehab…it’s the PTSD. Most of the people shot it appears like do not have insurance. They have to pay out of pocket. Horrifying shit indeed. All because of a middle school beef. The fuck. And even though the shooters have been apprehended and will be held legally responsible. The damage they have done to 14 people and their families will never get repaid or solved. The ripple effect is devastating. 

53 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

That’s the unfortunate part. Or fortunate for the kid that the suspect wanted dead. Shot that guy two separate times and both times in the leg. I’m curious as to why the suspect was not in jail for the Killeen shooting. Also it’s great to know a bunch of teens are packing on 6th street full of pent up rage for middle school rivals. 

I'm guessing it is possible the first shooting in Killeen wasn't reported or potential perp wasn't named?  gang shit is weird..

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Yep. Happy 19th Birthday to her. I wonder if she will ever want to be in a crowd again. It’s not just the physical injuries and rehab…it’s the PTSD. Most of the people shot it appears like do not have insurance. They have to pay out of pocket. Horrifying shit indeed. All because of a middle school beef. The fuck. And even though the shooters have been apprehended and will be held legally responsible. The damage they have done to 14 people and their families will never get repaid or solved. The ripple effect is devastating. 

I’d bet none of them actually pay any of their own money. Doesn’t it make it better.
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

I get the crowd part, but it's not that crowded, not like everybody was standing in queue for an SWA flight...people can still run and flee at that point.  The two dipshits would have to have hit someone with every single round.  That's not commonplace at shooting instances.  Look at South Chicago as a reference.  I get there's a lot of people but after the first few rounds, people are gonna disperse/hide or at least be on the move.  These boys are not gonna hit moving targets with every single shot at 2am.  I just find it odd, that's all. 

Have you been on 6th? There’s hundreds of people on the street between each block. They can’t all vibrate through the walls in the 2-3 seconds it takes fire 8 rounds.  

• Like 1

Even worse though…….the shooters are perpetuating a stereotype!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, McFly said:

Have you been on 6th? There’s hundreds of people on the street between each block. They can’t all vibrate through the walls in the 2-3 seconds it takes fire 8 rounds.  

People many blocks away could have been killed by errant bullets flying around. A 9mm is probably lethal to at least a half mile or more.

44 minutes ago, PW119 said:

Even worse though…….the shooters are perpetuating a stereotype!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s kinda like all those Karen types walking around. Like if you don’t want to be treated like a Karen don’t fucking act like one. I try not to stereotype. But we are human.  As much as we mostly try not to do that…individuals make it difficult when they are themselves a stereotype. Mr. Four Name shooter is such an instance. You don’t look at an entire group of people though and assume or treat them like they are like him though. 

9 hours ago, McFly said:

image.jpeg.b6a6257abc7f9972fd4e5e5febc87a2d.jpeg

RL would dominate dirty 6th. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Too bad the overextended & defunded APD can’t control the underage punks who have been inundating Dirty Sixth for the past 20 years.

Shut the fuck up man. Are you serious? APD has said they were fully staffed for downtown. There were cops probably less than 100 ft when this broke out.  Did council de-fund the APD pre-crime division?

• Hook 'Em 2

In fairness 6th is pretty fucking gross. The last time I went was probably 5/6 yrs ago because we had a room at the Driskill and thought it would be fun to grab some drinks for old times sake. It was fun in the same way going to the nastiest stip club in town is fun.

54 minutes ago, Pasken said:

Shut the fuck up man. Are you serious? APD has said they were fully staffed for downtown. There were cops probably less than 100 ft when this broke out.  Did council de-fund the APD pre-crime division?

Uh, that's bullshit.  They've had to call in help from state and other local resources, and did Saturday night.  Yeah, they were pretty well staffed down there, but it took some calling and moving around and a lot of patchwork.

He [Chacon] said, however, fully-staffing the downtown area is getting harder with a limited number of officers and the size of the crowds returning to the area after the pandemic.

“I have talked about the staffing shortages that we are experiencing at the Austin Police Department — it is making it hard. I’ll just tell you that — it’s making it very hard for us to continue to staff at these levels, even if we offer overtime to our officers,” Chacon said.

To fill in the gaps, at least for this weekend, Chacon requested help from the Texas Department of Public Safety to aid with security downtown Saturday night. But he also wants people to be aware.

and...

The Austin Police Association said officers had to be brought in from other sectors around the city in order to cover downtown. Additionally, Chacon said overtime officers are used to help cover shifts and staff the entertainment district, but that can be costly.

In April, KXAN investigators reported how APD had already paid out close to $5 million in overtime for this fiscal year. That’s close to 140% of their OT budget — and only six months into the fiscal year.

Just this week, a revamped Austin Police Cadet Academy restarted, but the earliest those cadets will be able to serve is next year. Graduation isn’t until the end of January.

Currently, the Greater Austin Crime Commission reports APD has 140 total vacancies. That’s in addition to the 150 positions cut last year.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-police-staffing-takes-center-stage-after-6th-street-mass-shooting/

They had a good amount of help down there as it's a priority but don't think (or spread the crap) that everything's hunky-dory and there are plenty of cops to go around.  They're already straining overtime resources twice as fast as they did even a year ago.  Yeah they've always had other forces spell APD down there, it's not a new thing, but the cost and amount of help has gone way up since people are back out there.  And their budget cuts absolutely did dilute some of the corps (e.g. horseback officers pared a lot) that normally work down there.

They're overextended and defunded - and it's costing much more to pay others to do what APD used to do themselves.  Brat is absolutely correct.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Lobo said:

Bullets hit things.  Bullets fragment.  The things bullets hit fragment too.  Lots of metal flying through the air where there are a lot of people = lots of people "shot".

59 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Uh, that's bullshit.  They've had to call in help from state and other local resources, and did Saturday night.  Yeah, they were pretty well staffed down there, but it took some calling and moving around and a lot of patchwork.

and...

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-police-staffing-takes-center-stage-after-6th-street-mass-shooting/

They had a good amount of help down there as it's a priority but don't think (or spread the crap) that everything's hunky-dory and there are plenty of cops to go around.  They're already straining overtime resources twice as fast as they did even a year ago.  Yeah they've always had other forces spell APD down there, it's not a new thing, but the cost and amount of help has gone way up since people are back out there.  And their budget cuts absolutely did dilute some of the corps (e.g. horseback officers pared a lot) that normally work down there.

They're overextended and defunded - and it's costing much more to pay others to do what APD used to do themselves.  Brat is absolutely correct.

Man, you're really harshing Paksen's buzz man.  He's gonna take another toke and reimagine the wording of your informative post here so that it sits on the palate of his world view with just a touch more sweetness.

• Hook 'Em 1