2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

1 hour ago, Big Woodrows said:

Lots of comments about kids not realizing the number of other players in the portal and how most schools (75% or more) now view you enter the portal your scholarship is gone.

There is going to be a lot of kids out there that either aren’t going to find a better landing spot at best with many getting no scholarship at all.

Lots of players with no clue with parents and friends/family/hangers on wanting them to go chase that NIL money and not realizing there are lots of kids just as good as they are out in the portal and many of these that are already landed already had an “in” before they ever entered.

If you ain’t tampered with to join the portal and aren’t a former top 100 recruit, you might want to play it safe out there…

• Hook 'Em 6

14 hours ago, Big Woodrows said:

The chats I occasionally have with players in the portal are somewhat disheartening. It is pretty obvious that not much research or planning was done prior to the decision.

12 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Lots of comments about kids not realizing the number of other players in the portal and how most schools (75% or more) now view you enter the portal your scholarship is gone...If you ain’t tampered with to join the portal and aren’t a former top 100 recruit, you might want to play it safe out there…

7 hours ago, stork642 said:

Most of these players aren’t making it to the NFL so they better start figuring out how to make it through life after football.  

This points to the utility of an advisory group for D1/P5 CFP players that calculates maximum benefit of opportunities for education, playing, "NIL." It could be part of a negotiated package for CFP players and the NCAA/conferences for compensation, freedom of movement, etc.

Of course, it would require trust and coordination and rational prediction of capacity, and all of those things are lacking presently. So we'll likely continue the present system with uninformed decisions.

8 hours ago, stork642 said:

People learn the most when they have the freedom to make dumbass decisions.  I know I did.  With more freedom comes more risk.  Most of these players aren’t making it to the NFL so they better start figuring out how to make it through life after football.  

They gonna slang and bang. And make dat money. 

Roach

Spoiler

— The Longhorns made contact today with West Virginia transfer linebacker Josh Chandler-Semedo. A fifth-year senior, Chandler-Semedo announced he'd be using his year of COVID eligibility to return before announcing a few days ago that he would enter the NCAA Transfer Portal. Chandler-Semedo originally came out of Canton (OH.) McKinley High School in 2018 and signed with the Mountaineers over offers from Airforce, Marshall and Ohio. Chandler-Semedo saw the field early for the Mountaineers, but he really took off in 2021 110 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2 interceptions and 2 forced fumbles. Chandler-Semedo sent transcripts to Texas today and is working to set up a visit this spring. Texas A&M, Miami and Rutgers are a few other schools that made contact early. In addition to his contact with Jeff Choate, Chandler-Semedo also talked to a few Texas players today including D'Shawn Jamison and Bijan Robinson who he knows through a Big 12 union formed during COVID.

— I checked in with a source regarding transfer EDGE Ochaun Mathis. The former TCU star still doesn't seem to be in any sort of a rush, but he will start visiting programs from his recently released Top 5 of Texas, Nebraska, USC, Penn State and Ole Miss. We've reported in the past that Texas is positioned well as Mathis is originally from the Austin area and has a phenomenal relationship with Gary Patterson. The source I spoke with today said that while Mathis is nowhere near a decision, he still feels Texas is out in front of the race. Perhaps the visit process could change that, but I still like Texas to land Mathis.

9 hours ago, quigley said:

This points to the utility of an advisory group for D1/P5 CFP players that calculates maximum benefit of opportunities for education, playing, "NIL." It could be part of a negotiated package for CFP players and the NCAA/conferences for compensation, freedom of movement, etc.

Of course, it would require trust and coordination and rational prediction of capacity, and all of those things are lacking presently. So we'll likely continue the present system with uninformed decisions.

I think you can also add some type of "Portal Advisory Service" similar to what NFL eligible players can get in terms of a draft grade. Have someone scouring rosters and be able to say "Ok you are a decent LB" There are currently ~12-15 higher ranked LB than you already in the portal and 85% of schools have a Soph/Jr LB candidate already on campus" etc etc

Some of the kids enter the portal with zero clue of where they are going to end up. Or reverse the portal where universities put out "Help Wanted" ads and players can apply via the portal. Would cause some butthurt but that'd be fun to see. "Hey John I thought you were starting at QB this year for X? Then how come they have an ad for a starter on the Portal?"

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I think you can also add some type of "Portal Advisory Service" similar to what NFL eligible players can get in terms of a draft grade. Have someone scouring rosters and be able to say "Ok you are a decent LB" There are currently ~12-15 higher ranked LB than you already in the portal and 85% of schools have a Soph/Jr LB candidate already on campus" etc etc

Some of the kids enter the portal with zero clue of where they are going to end up. Or reverse the portal where universities put out "Help Wanted" ads and players can apply via the portal. Would cause some butthurt but that'd be fun to see. "Hey John I thought you were starting at QB this year for X? Then how come they have an ad for a starter on the Portal?"

I would tell you that in the long run it would make more sense to pitch this as a service to a team or better yet a conference and then use this as a way to help the player understand where they match up internally within the conference.

That way you would have the internal conference NIL numbers and access to the full portal roster but not have to deal with one team at a time…

You could still provide descriptive or counting stat data about the portal but then be more specific with your conference. Combine an internal set of metrics with something like PFF data and use it to help provide to each school what the current landscape for both the player and team level. Do 2 schools a week, twice during the Spring and once during the summer and directly after the season…

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Is it any different than the job market, which is what the transfer portal essentially mimics?

11 hours ago, quigley said:

Sounds like a pretty good business idea for an emerging type of sports analytics firm. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

34 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The first team conference USA OT from Western Kentucky. Following his OC to Tech as expected.

Might’ve been different if a school like UT had offered him. And Don’t forget about the other All Conference OT from WKU who went to Cedar Park HS and ended up at Ole Miss that we also never offered. But you keep fucking that chicken trying to tell everyone there were no OL upgrades available in the portal. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Might’ve been different if a school like UT had offered him. And Don’t forget about the other All Conference OT from WKU who went to Cedar Park HS and ended up at Ole Miss that we also never offered. But you keep fucking that chicken trying to tell everyone there were no OL upgrades available in the portal. 

Happy Sunday to you too.

Shocking that the small handful the good OL in the portal end up at the schools who……recruited them into the portal.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)