2021 World Series: Houston Astros vs. Atlanta Braves

texashorne

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

It was a salary dump. Still you gotta shoot for something more. A couple lottery tickets prospects. Anything. 

Well I have lived in this shithole of Cleveland for the last 5 years and since they lost to Chicago they have made STUPID moves constantly. Bauer was a good move though lol

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

44-28 = ???

gonna reply to your original post, pre edit, where you said, "and still not better than the white sox". since August 1st:

white sox: 32-28 (.533) lost to astros 3-1 

braves: 43-23 (.651) beat brewers 3-2 and LAD 4-2

the braves are better than the white sox 

edit- the stat was 20 games above .500 since the trade deadline, not 30 games above .500 since the ASB

Edited by shadow_operative

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Atlanta, beneficiaries of a decade of ridiculously biased home plate umpiring, will never be America's team to anyone who remembers those years. More than anyone else, the Braves are responsible for grading umpires and all these new angles of the strike zone. Smoltz, Maddux and most egregiously Glavine were routinely given four inches off the plate. 

Glad to see you mention this, because I have never forgotten it.  I heard one announcer, possibly Tom Seaver, admit that those pitchers were always getting a break on the outside of the plate.

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

gonna reply to your original post, pre edit, where you said, "and still not better than the white sox". since August 1st:

edit- the stat was 20 games above .500 since the trade deadline, not 30 games above .500 since the ASB

The Braves were not a better team than the White Sox. White Sox had the better pitching and offense. The Braves did get hot (9 game winning streaks against 3 of the worst teams in baseball help). The White Sox had to face the Astros in ALDS. No shame in the White Sox getting destroyed by the better team.

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I was chuckling at your idea for the Astros to buy up the land around MMP for the purpose of providing dining and entertainment options to their patrons. Buying land in downtown Houston is a different story than developing a blank-slate,  60 acre site in suburban Atlanta. The Astros could have that if they had decided to build the Stadium in the Woodlands or in Sugarland. While I agree better options are needed, it will have to be done piecemeal by the private sector. 

This is already underway. Jim Crane has bought the land that used to house Home Plate directly across the street as well as buying some other of the surrounding surface lots. Pre COVID the idea was an entertainment and dining area there directly across the street from the park. Not sure how long that takes going forward. I was at Houston First when he bought that additional land that had the old house and train engine that where originally meant for the bayou city history museum.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

beat brewers 3-1*

Braves are a very fun team to watch, happy to see them in the WS not because they're not great, but because it's new blood. I'm sure their fans will bring up the old stuff but overall at least it doesn't have to be the only thing anyone writes about for the entire series.

Passan will try, but he doesn't have to.

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Braves are a very fun team to watch, happy to see them in the WS not because they're not great, but because it's new blood. I'm sure their fans will bring up the old stuff but overall at least it doesn't have to be the only thing anyone writes about for the entire series.

Passan will try, but he doesn't have to.

Atlanta and Houston share some unfortunate traits in their pro sports histories. Their NFL and NBA pasts both have been underwhelming, even when they had great teams. And it's been so long since Atlanta won a WS, I don't think Braves fans will have a lot of conviction in their "hatred" of any opponent. Nearly all their energy will go into rooting for the Braves...while wondering what sort of fluke play will stop them short of a title this time. 

Passan's column after the Red Sox were booted made more reference to the 2017 Astros than to this year's team. Typical approach of a writer who refuses to quit pumping a fading storyline he doesn't want to see die. His editor, if he has one, must not be any real voice of reason, either. 

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Astros were #1 in MLB in wins over .500+ teams at 45-32. Braves were 14th at 31-37. 

Over their last 30 games, the Braves were #7 and Astros #8 separated by one game's difference. By pythag the Astros were a 101-win team, Braves 94-win team...

It's the MLB playoffs and anything can happen (for example, ace pitchers getting injured and three grand slams hit in two games by one team in a series-losing effort), but in no objective world were the Braves the best team in baseball for the last couple of months.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Astros were #1 in MLB in wins over .500+ teams at 45-32. Braves were 14th at 31-37. 

Over their last 30 games, the Braves were #7 and Astros #8 separated by one game's difference. By pytag the Astros were a 101-win team, Braves 94-win team...

It the MLB playoffs and anything can happen (for example, ace pitchers getting injured and three grand slams hit in two games by one team in a series-losing effort), but in no objective world were the Braves the best team in baseball for the last couple of months.

i never said they were objectively the best team in baseball over the last two months, i said they had the best record in baseball over the last two months of the season, which they did. 

Which is mostly a function of the sample size of your choosing. The Braves are not better than the White Sox by the numbers--the White Sox were slightly better in team OPS and better in team ERA and team FIP than the Braves with an ex-WL 97-65 and better winning percentage against .500+ teams.

12 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Over their last 30 games, the Braves were #7 and Astros #8 separated by one game's difference. By pytag the Astros were a 101-win team, Braves 94-win team...

It the MLB playoffs and anything can happen (for example, ace pitchers getting injured and three grand slams hit in two games by one team in a series-losing effort), but in no objective world were the Braves the best team in baseball for the last couple of months.

Not a huge difference either, but the Astros played better competition in the 2nd half.  The Mariners were on fire and the A's were in the mix to win the division too.

NL East - 291-357 (.449)
AL West - 313-335 (.483) 

God I hope this isn't 2019 again - Braves are much better on the road than at home (42-38).   Astros are 51-30 at home, so can they win a fucking WS game in Houston for the first time since 2017, please? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's some sample size fun:

Five straight ALCS appearances.

Three World Series appearances in five years.

One win away from three straight World Series appearances.

One World Series, with a chance  to add a second despite losing George Springer to free agency, Justin Verlander to TJ surgery, and now Lance McCullers to forearm tightness.

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Here's some sample size fun:

Five straight ALCS appearances.

Three World Series appearances in five years.

One win away from three straight World Series appearances.

One World Series, with a chance  to add a second despite losing George Springer to free agency, Justin Verlander to TJ surgery, and now Lance McCullers to forearm tightness.

Just read the confirmation on McCullers. FUCK.

26 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Which is mostly a function of the sample size of your choosing.

lol, jesus dude, you're so argumentative it's crazy. you say this like i just cherry picked these numbers because i'm some huge braves homer with an agenda here. none of what i have posted has been my own personal commentary or opinion, it's just facts, and relevant facts at that. the trade deadline was at the end of july; the Braves, a so-so team prior to then, acquired four bats at that time, and since then have the best record in baseball and are now in the world series. they have been inarguably better than the white sox during that time. again, not my own personal take, just a fact. meanwhile you try and "disprove" what i'm saying by disingenuously using season long stats to somehow prove that the Braves aren't better than the white sox as currently constructed. such a beating to try and converse with half the astros fans on this site.

Just now, shadow_operative said:

i mean how much more simple does this need  to be? they replaced half of their lineup at the end of july and became a totally new and much improved team. why is this such a point of contention for astros fans? 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol, jesus dude, you're so argumentative it's crazy.

Derka calling other posters argumentative. On a forum about baseball.

• Hook 'Em 2

😂😂😂 you take offense to being called argumentative only to immediately run to google to try and find any advanced metric you can to help you argue that the team that's 32-28 and sitting at home is better than the team that's 43-22 and in the world series.

14 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Good time to pull this out of the memorabilia box. What a game that was.

cc567fb563b268712d9e9e2a8c0e16a8.jpg

What is this piece of memorabilia?

It's like some sort of thin paper.... that seems to recount and summarize the previous day's events.

Why would anyone want what amounts to a static website printed on flimsy paper?

Very strange.

Hey derka I don't take offense at all, I'm pointing out your bald hypocrisy. And yes, it is very arguable that the Braves were inarguably better than the White Sox, who were missing key bats for long stretches of the season, yet still managed to outproduce the Braves lineup. They don't play in the same division or same league so yeah, we kinda do have to go on other metrics than just wins and losses after the trade deadline.

That said, it is the postseason where anything can happen, but the Braves should be prohibitive underdogs against the Astros.

17 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Hey derka I don't take offense at all, I'm pointing out your bald hypocrisy. And yes, it is very arguable that the Braves were inarguably better than the White Sox, who were missing key bats for long stretches of the season, yet still managed to outproduce the Braves lineup. They don't play in the same division or same league so yeah, we kinda do have to go on other metrics than just wins and losses after the trade deadline.

That said, it is the postseason where anything can happen, but the Braves should be prohibitive underdogs against the Astros.

😂😂😂 "your bald hypocrisy!!!" yeah, you aren't argumentative at all. lmao. i point out that the moves the braves made at the trade deadline made them a better team with the best record in baseball since that time, and this is how you respond. just angry and argumentative, out here trying to "win the argument" instead of just talking baseball like a normal person. no, you're totally right gourmand- the team that's barely above .500 and went 1-3 in the postseason is better than the team that's been winning 2 out of every 3 games for the last three months and is now in the world series. great stuff. 😂 

like i said- a total beating trying to have an adult conversation with some of you astros zealots.

also, when you respond with, "ok cool, hook em", you're supposed to leave it at that, not feverishly hunt down more inane stats to try and win the argument. 

Kulpa and Hallion both in the World Series is just clown car stupid. 
I know

like 6 umpires names. 5 of them are absolutely horrible. 1 of them is good- and it’s Randy Wolfs brother which is the only reason I know him. 
Kulpa and Hallion I know by name, along with Joe West, Angel Hernandez and some other fuck face that sends me into a rage whenever he’s behind home plate. This is absurd- this crew. 

4 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

No one is worse than Joe West/Angel Hernandez.  At least Angel Hernandez seems to be doing it to try and get fired so he can sue.  West just sucks shit through a liposuctioned straw

I understand what you are saying, but I guess if you say someone can't be worse than CB Buckner that just means you haven't seen CB Buckner ump enough/recently enough.  He's god awful terrible.

To be fair- I went through 4 or 5 lists of the worst umps and the fact of the matter is Joe West was in all of those lists but never #1.  Angel Hernandez and CB Buckner seemed to alternate for worst of the worst.  So, reasonable minds can differ. But all agree both are absolutely putrid.  Kulpa is almost as bad at the mechanics of his job but he also adds in being a thin skinned cunt along with carrying a grudge. I think I might hate him worse than either Hernandez or Buckner. If he screws us like I fully believe he will in the world series then he can move up to number 1 on my personal list of most hated umpires...

• Hook 'Em 2