Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Let's just remember the much celebrated Florida 5.

Cecil Cherry-  Transferred after 2 days of practice.

Devonaire Clarington?  Didn't qualify

Tim Irvin-  Committed to Texas and then took a bag of cash to Auburn the next week.

Davante Davis-  Starter/contributor

Gilbert Johnson-  Didn't qualify

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Tim Irvin-  Committed to Texas and then took a bag of cash to Auburn the next week.

Devo went into the Supplemental Draft, didn't get drafted and as far as i know isn't with a team. Was a Juco All American last year...

dang. 

Couple of notes from TFLoss.  Looks like Hagen is contacting some IU guys he was recruiting.

OrangeBloods reporting Texas will host DE Austin Booker of Greenwood, IN in April.

https://247sports.com/player/austin-booker-46093622/

Per OrangeBloods, they believe WR Troy Stellato of Fort Lauderdale, FL will be visiting with the other Florida prospects on Monday.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Couple of notes from TFLoss.  Looks like Hagen is contacting some IU guys he was recruiting.

OrangeBloods reporting Texas will host DE Austin Booker of Greenwood, IN in April.

Per OrangeBloods, they believe WR Troy Stellato of Fort Lauderdale, FL will be visiting with the other Florida prospects on Monday.

Hagen honestly feels like a perfect fit for Tom Herman's original staff from Houston. 

• Like 1

Oh great. We’ve lowered our recruiting standards because we lowered our coaching hire standards.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

1 for 5 on shots. Just like that kid in the original Mighty Ducks that was football player turned hockey badass.

49 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

You know, I’ve always said we need more Indiana-quality DL on this roster. 

12 minutes ago, Scholz said:

The new New Jersey?

I for one, am excited about the geographical discussions this turn of recruiting events will spur.

Greenwood, IN to Austin, TX is roughly 1100 miles by auto.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Sheesh he's just coming to visit. Let's wait til he gets an offer and THEN go full chickens-with-our-heads-cut-off.

This. Complain about shit when there's actually shit to complain about. They're lining up contingencies. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Oh great. We’ve lowered our recruiting standards because we lowered our coaching hire standards.

I can't remember the last season where I wouldn't have happily traded our DL for Iowa's DL. I'd hold off on shitting on the kid just yet. 

He's a contingency plan in a year where there's a pretty dramatic talent drop off in state. JaTavion Sanders (if he plays D), Landon Jackson, Jordan Thomas - and then who? Burris and Turner both seem like guys that will end up inside. It's a very down year for depth at the DE spot. I think Landyn Watson's frame is going to be an issue even at WDE and past him it's an absolute fucking ghost town right now. There likely will be some late risers (like Terrell Tilmon if he proves that he can add 25+ (read: 40) pounds or E’maurion Banks if he can stay outside) but the Texas staff being in contact with Booker -- who if you watch his highlights is a guy who is clearly just coming in to his frame/physical development but still shows the natural ability to get to the QB--  that's all good in my book. Esp. if it's simply continuing an already established relationship. I will say that If I was Chris Ash I'd be lobbying to get Juan Davis on D from the drop. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

I can't remember the last season where I wouldn't have happily traded our DL for Iowa's DL. I'd hold off on shitting on the kid just yet. 

He's a contingency plan in a year where there's a pretty dramatic talent drop off in state. JaTavion Sanders (if he plays D), Landon Jackson, Jordan Thomas - and then who? Burris and Turner both seem like guys that will end up inside. It's a very down year for depth at the DE spot. I think Landyn Watson's frame is going to be an issue even at WDE and past him it's an absolute fucking ghost town right now. There likely will be some late risers (like Terrell Tilmon if he proves that he can add 25+ (read: 40) pounds or E’maurion Banks if he can stay outside) but the Texas staff being in contact with Booker -- who if you watch his highlights is a guy who is clearly just coming in to his frame/physical development but still shows the natural ability to get to the QB--  that's all good in my book. Esp. if it's simply continuing an already established relationship. I will say that If I was Chris Ash I'd be lobbying to get Juan Davis on D from the drop. 

Great post but then ...

I think the kids say “phrasing”

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

I know the coaches have told Sanders he can pick where he wants to play, but I don't see anyway he's not at DE.  A year in the program and he'd be the best pass rusher we've had in a long time.  We need DE's more than interior guys so I wouldn't mind if the number is 4 it be 3 DE's and 1 DT ( like you I think Turner will be a DT and a damn good one.  Would love Burris, but don't see it happening ).  I watched a little of Booker's highlights.  Looks good getting after the QB.  247 page shows he visited Indiana twice last year.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

13 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm all for lampooning Hermeh and his shitty DL coach hire, but hell, I'd like to see if this player is worth a fuck first before writing him off due to geography.

Correct. Aren't being a big, white, 3* from the midwest all reasons not to write him off? We should take (at least) one every cycle. 

10 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

People, on this day last year, the 2020 thread was at 209 pages.

Do you really think this effort will get us to 1000 pages?

If it makes you feel better, we can always start talking about cheese again. It’s as gouda idea as any. 

• Like 3

(Mike Roach) The Breakdown: A closer look at Texas RB recruiting

Plan to sign: 2-3

Commits: 0

Top Targets: LJ Johnson, Camar Wheaton, TreVeyon Henderson, Jonathon Brooks, Donovan Edwards

On the radar: Brandon Campbell, Darius Hale

On scholarship at Texas in 2020: 5 – Daniel Young (SR), Keaontay Ingram (JR), Roschon Johnson (SO), Derrian Brown (RS-FR), Bijan Robinson (FR)

Breakdown: The Texas running back room finally appears to be healthy with some high-end talent set to be infused in the form of five-star signee Bijan Robinson, who will join workhorse Keaontay Ingram and breakout star Roschon Johnson this summer. The Longhorns will look to keep adding talent in the 2021 cycle to keep things moving in the running back room. Ingram has two years of eligibility left, but a strong junior season on the field could see the former Carthage product head to the NFL early, if the time is right. The Longhorns have been recruiting in-state stars LJ Johnson and Camar Wheaton for the better part of a year, and they are starting to expand their national footprint to the likes of TreVeyon Henderson and Donovan Edwards. Texas was also the first school to offer Hallettsville’s Jonathon Brooks, and he’s another priority for the staff in this class.

The Longhorns haven’t had the smoothest of roads recruiting running backs under Tom Herman watch. In the transition class of 2017, Texas signed Daniel Young and Toneil Carter. Young is still around but saw sparing minutes last fall while Carter elected to transfer. Ingram was the lone back Texas signed in 2018, and 2019 signee Derrian Brown suffered a stroke before his college career could even get started. Fortunately for the Longhorns, they were able to convert Roschon Johnson to running back last season and he provided more than anyone could have imagined. With a talent like Robinson coming in, the Longhorns should have options in their backfield along with battering ram, QB Sam Ehlinger.

Wheaton represents elite speed, while LJ Johnson offers more of a between the tackles game. Still, Johnson possesses great speed and athletic ability as well. Henderson has been one of the most productive backs in the country while Brooks appears to be a diamond in the rough power prospect. The Longhorns need to walk away with at least two of these prospects, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them sign three this recruiting cycle.

Mike Roach: Previewing a big recruiting weekend for the Longhorns

The Longhorns are set to host a big group of visitors this weekend and Horns247 has the full breakdown of the prospects who will be on campus.

2021 visitors

WR JoJo Earle, Aledo – The four-star slot receiver confirmed with Horns247 that he would be visiting Texas this weekend. Earle is one of the most dynamic slot receivers in the country and a huge priority for Texas. After originally eliminating Texas from the top group of schools in January, Texas is working hard to get back in the race for one of the top targets on their board.

WR Bralon Brown, Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade-Madonna Prep.

One of the top players in the state of Florida, the 247Sports Composite four-star prospect is set to make the visit to Austin with his 7v7 team on Monday. Brown does not yet hold a Texas offer, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him walk away with one following the visit. Ole Miss, Penn State, and Florida are the schools standing out right now.

WR Agiye Hall, Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy

Hall is a huge Texas target, but the Longhorns weren’t included in his most recent top-four cut. Hall is high on Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Arizona State. Texas will get a chance to gain some ground in that recruitment after hosting Hall on Monday with his 7v7 team.

WR Mario Williams, Plant City (Fla.)

Williams is one of the most dynamic prospects in the entire country, and Texas would love to add a player as explosive as him in this class. Oklahoma currently holds the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead, but Williams has been in consistent contact with Texas over the last few months. The Longhorns can take a more serious step after getting him on campus.

WR Troy Stellato, Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Cardinal Gibbons

Texas offered Stellato shortly after Mike Yurcich arrived in Austin, and the explosive athlete expressed interest in visiting Texas right away. Stellato is considering some of the elite schools in the nation, and Ohio State currently holds the 247Sports Crystal Ball lead. That said, there’s some optimism in Austin that Texas can become a player in this race with a good visit.

DE Bryce Langston, Ocala (Fla.) Vanguard

Florida and LSU seem to be the front runners in this race, but Texas could find themselves fighting for a spot at the table if they impress Langston on his visit this weekend. The four-star prospect doesn’t have a Texas offer yet, but that could change after he makes the visit on Monday.

CB Omarion Cooper, Lehigh Acres (Fla.) Lehigh

Cooper has been crystal balled to Florida State, but his contact with Texas cornerback coach Jay Valai has been doing a lot of work to get Texas into the conversation. Cooper is looking to visit Austin this weekend, and the Longhorns could possibly crack into his top group with a good trip.

CB Robert Simmons, Jacksonville (Fla.) Sandalwood

The Longhorns have yet to offer Simmons, but he’ll be visiting with Texas with his 7v7 team on Monday. Oregon is currently the biggest offer on Simmons’ list, but sources in Florida tell me he could see his stock rise this spring.

2022 Visitors

S Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo

It’s early, but 2022 already has an elite group at defensive back and Bryan Allen appears to be the class of the group at safety. After a huge run of offers over the last two months, all of the big boys have entered the picture in this recruitment. Texas will get their shot to host Allen and impress him this weekend,

2023 Visitors

WR Brandon Inniss, Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) University School

Inniss already holds 18 offers as he heads into his sophomore season. Florida, Baylor, Florida State, LSU, Miami, and Texas A&M are some of the programs to have offered so far. Texas will host Inniss with his 7v7 team this weekend, and it is likely that Inniss could be just the second 2023 prospect to get an offer from the Longhorns.

• Like 1