Reese Bennett

Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Scattershooting on 2021 targets

(Wheaton, Ikechekuwhunksue, Regis, Turner, Lengyel)

Hide contents

Mike at Night: Scattershooting on 2021 targets

MikeRoach

—I caught up with a different near Camar Wheaton than the one I spoke to a few nights ago. Despite rumors of the five-star running back shutting things down soon, I was told that Wheaton is still narrowing things down and not in any sort of hurry to end the process. “Camar is a different cat,” the source said. “He’ll commit when he’s ready and on nobody else’s timetable.” This source didn’t offer much different than I reported on Monday night. The biggest thing I got is more confirmation that this race really seems to be coming down to Texas and Oklahoma.

—Texas is also still in contact with Wheaton’s teammate Ikechukwu Iwunnah. I’m told Iwunnah loves what he’s hearing from Mark Hagen and really just wants to see the campus. With visits up in the air this fall, it’s likely that Iwunnah will need to take a self-guided visit if he wants to see what the campus has to offer. The staff is doing what they can in the way of virtual tours, but nothing beats seeing things in person.

—I checked in on La Porte defensive tackle Albert Regis as well. It sounds like this race could come down to Texas and Texas A&M, but information from Regis is tough to come by. He’s pretty quiet, and I’m told he’s tough for even college coaches to reach at times. From what I can tell, Texas is very serious about Regis while he appears to be one of several options for the Aggies. I’m told the communication with Texas has been promising, but there’s no overwhelming sense of confidence.

—I spoke to a source near Desoto defensive end Shemar Turner. There isn’t much new to report at this time, and I get the sense Turner is starting to get tired of being asked about it by media. The source I spoke with told me that if they had to handicap things, Texas and Texas A&M would be at the top with Alabama just behind.

—Last week I discussed a new offensive line target in Dallas Jesuit's Ryan Lengyel. I checked in again with Lengyel this week to see how things are going and he said he's had a lot of contact with Texas lately. Lengyel will be the next prospect to take part in a self-guided visit. He will make the trip to Austin this weekend to see the campus and the city.

Give me Ike, Regis and Shemar out of those 5 updates and I'll be a happy fan.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Goodman said:

Give me Ike, Regis and Shemar out of those 5 updates and I'll be a happy fan.

A DL of Sanders, Thomas, Turner, Ike, Regis, with DH Jr possibly spinning down to DE would be the #1 DL class in the country.  I think we land Turner and will probably take one of Ike and Regis.  

Pair those guys with Collins and Broughton from last year with an elite pass rusher in Dorbah coming from the LB spot.... we're looking at a lot of sacks in the future.  

Props to Herman for upgrading this position to the likes of Bama, LSU, Clemson.

Edited by victory88

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Seems to be where it's headed. Those are the premiere d-lines, by a bit. Would be fun here in the big twelf. 

15 minutes ago, victory88 said:

A DL of Sanders, Thomas, Turner, Ike, Regis, with DH Jr possibly spinning down to DE would be the #1 DL class in the country.  I think we land Turner and will probably take one of Ike and Regis.  

Pair those guys with Collins and Broughton from last year with an elite pass rusher in Dorbah coming from the LB spot.... we're looking at a lot of sacks in the future.  

That would bring us back to the good old days of dominant Texas d-lines. DBs are solid too. Really only LBs are lacking in star power (like Malik), but the guys we are getting seem to have good measurables.

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

That would bring us back to the good old days of dominant Texas d-lines. DBs are solid too. Really only LBs are lacking in star power (like Malik), but the guys we are getting seem to have good measurables.

Even Mack's best team didn't have great LBs, as Johnson graduated in 2004.

48 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Are you kidding me??  EVERYONE knows to complete the best DL class in the country you need someone from MD, NJ, ME, DE---- @jordanaggie, probably.

I can see Burris at aggy and Turner at Texas when it's all said and done.  Aggy will go all in with the "Come play in the SEC" pitch for Turner.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

I wouldn’t say that would be #1 in the country, and there’s still a bit of a drop off from the three schools you listed and tOSU, but we’re quickly approaching elite status on the DL, and may get there by the end of the season, which is amazing considering how bad we’ve been on the DL lately.

A school like Texas should always be stacked on the DL and credit for Herman returning us to that point. In general, I don’t care about 3-4 vs. 4-3, but a school with the recruiting advantages Texas has is probably best suited for a 4-3, since we can (and are) get the elite DL needed to run it at a high level. 

42 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I can see Burris at aggy and Turner at Texas when it's all said and done.  Aggy will go all in with the "Come play in the SEC" pitch for Turner.

I don't see it with Burris.  Even before his injury, his tape looks okay to me.  I think Turner has NFL potential with proper development.  I think Burris has a lower ceiling... just my opinion.  Even if we don't get Turner, I'd be okay with slow playing Burris.  Don't forget, he plays on the same line as Jackson.  I'm not sure what his production would look like if he didn't have a 5 star DL playing next to him.

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I don't see it with Burris...Don't forget, he plays on the same line as Jackson. 

Texarkana is not our jam.  No Clayton Smith, Landon Jackson or Marcus Burris.

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I'm not sure what his production would look like if he didn't have a 5 star DL playing next to him.

Actually, he's a 4* now because he slaps dummies weird

13 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

i know he had never done the drill before, but it was one of the weirdest football videos ive ever seen

27 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I don't see it with Burris.  Even before his injury, his tape looks okay to me.  I think Turner has NFL potential with proper development.  I think Burris has a lower ceiling... just my opinion.  Even if we don't get Turner, I'd be okay with slow playing Burris.  Don't forget, he plays on the same line as Jackson.  I'm not sure what his production would look like if he didn't have a 5 star DL playing next to him.

Jackson tore his ACL his sophomore year and missed half the season. I'm sure there is probably plenty of footage out there in Burris's sophomore HUDL.

Posted (edited)

Brian Dohn the east coast 247 guy has put in a CB for Monkell Goodwine to Alabama. Interesting to us because Shemar Turner --- Bama has 16 total commits and 3 on the DL + Kendrick Blackshire who is going to be on the DL. I guess we could see Bama process someone but none of their current commits outside of perhaps Blackshire (due to not having a clear position) seem like the kind of guys you'd process. 

It will make numbers interesting for them with Turner because they are still very strongly in it for Maason Smith, Tyleik Williams, Korey Foreman (USC is a house of cards) and J.T. Tuimoloau. They've also really turned up the heat on OU legacy Shambre Jackson - they have gone to speaking with him every day and the dreaded Nick Saban Facetime meetings.  It appears that despite being on OU legacy and a good player at a need spot, the Sooners have shit this one up. 

Edited by golfclap

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Brian Dohn the east coast 247 guy has put in a CB for Monkell Goodwine to Alabama. Interesting to us because Shemar Turner --- Bama has 16 total commits and 3 on the DL + Kendrick Blackshire who is going to be on the DL. I guess we could see Bama process someone but none of their current commits outside of perhaps Blackshire (due to not having a clear position) seem like the kind of guys you'd process. 

It will make numbers interesting for them with Turner because they are still very strongly in it for Maason Smith, Tyleik Williams, Korey Foreman (USC is a house of cards) and J.T. Tuimoloau. They've also really turned up the heat on OU legacy Shambre Jackson - they have gone to speaking with him every day and the dreaded Nick Saban Facetime meetings.  It appears that despite being on OU legacy and a good player at a need spot, the Sooners have shit this one up. 

If he hadn't gotten himself banned, it would have been fun to take a dump on AtlFan's face about Jackson after all the shit he was talking.

25 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It appears that despite being on OU legacy and a good player at a need spot, the Sooners have shit this one up. 

Where have I seen this story before?  Does he have a brother?

27 minutes ago, golfclap said:

It appears that despite being on OU legacy and a good player at a need spot, the Sooners have shit this one up. 

Glad this would never happen to us, Especially to a school like Bama.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, victory88 said:

A DL of Sanders, Thomas, Turner, Ike, Regis, with DH Jr possibly spinning down to DE would be the #1 DL class in the country. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

A school like Texas should always be stacked on the DL and credit for Herman returning us to that point. In general, I don’t care about 3-4 vs. 4-3, but a school with the recruiting advantages Texas has is probably best suited for a 4-3, since we can (and are) get the elite DL needed to run it at a high level. 

spacer.png

Edited by Lonestar88

I won’t be satisfied with just Ike and Turner, we need Tina too.

35 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

spacer.png

He's going to see a Texas DL turned loose to emasculate opposing QB's.  

#ChrisAshIsGoingToLetOssaiRushTheFuckingPasser

(hashtags - the kids are still doing these, right?)

3 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Looks like Nahlin doesn’t know about the video, as well.

Does Shemar know about the video?  

42 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

If you're gonna dream, dream big.  River deep, mountain high big.

4 hours ago, victory88 said:

A DL of Sanders, Thomas, Turner, Ike, Regis, with DH Jr possibly spinning down to DE would be the #1 DL class in the country.

would arguably compete with charlie’s 2016 haul. 

2 hours ago, NoName said:

i know he had never done the drill before, but it was one of the weirdest football videos ive ever seen

It was one of the greatest pimp slap the dummy drills ever recorded.  

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

spacer.png

Turner is waiting to see if Bama has room. Aggy just lost Goodwine so they'll be pushing for Turner hard. But of course, we can always believe Carl and the video

3 hours ago, NoName said:
3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't know what you guys are talking about.  This video screams freak athlete, to me

giphy.gif

Emphasis on freak.

6 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I don't know what you guys are talking about.  This video screams freak athlete, to me

giphy.gif

Emphasis on freak.

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

giphy.gif

Emphasis on freak.

Is this the new version of the “Oklahoma Drill”?

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Is this the new version of the “Oklahoma Drill”?

We just diagnosed it as AIDS at the time and didn't realize it was actually the first known case of COVID in the United States.

RIP in peace, sweet prince.

12 minutes ago, Scholz said:

I always see this guy from HBO's Barry /no katfid:

tenor-1.gif

that is fucking FULL katfid, dude

20 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

That’s the Joe Mixon 20 yard social sprint.

He calls the drill "Meet and greet".

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Watch out for aggy here. They always end up getting their fair Cher.

Posted (edited)

Are Ike and Regis both takes or is it whoever jumps on board first?  As @golfclap stated, both look like disruptive guys on the interior.  I also think Big Ike would have tested good the camp settings that got canceled and got a ratings boost.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Are Ike and Regis both takes or is it whoever jumps on board first?  As @golfclap stated, both look like disruptive guys on the interior.  I also think Big Ike would have tested good the camp settings that got canceled and got a ratings boost.

Ike, Regis and Turner are all still takes 

Craven...

https://www.hookem.com/story/20200730/dotted-line-texas-makes-cut-terrence-cooks-marcus-burris-trending-2021-center/

Texas made the top six for Terrence Cooks, a three-star outside linebacker from Alvin Shadow Creek. The Longhorns are in a battle against Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Washington, Baylor and Georgia. The 6-2, 210-pound prospect earned second-team all-district honors as a junior, helping Shadow Creek go 16-0 and win the Class 5A Division I state title. 

“I probably won’t commit until December because of the coronavirus making it impossible for us prospects to go see the schools I want to check out,” Cooks said. “Texas is obviously up there for me. I was able to see the school for junior day before the shutdown and I know a few of the players already on campus.” 

One of those players is Xavion Alford, a 2020 signee from Shadow Creek who is heavily recruiting Cooks to join him in Austin. As are 2021 UT commits like Derrick Harris Jr. and Jalen Milroe. 

“I think it is important to build relationships with guys before I pick a school,” Cooks said. “The players are more likely to tell you the truth about the experience at a school than coaches. I’m not going to pick a school because my friends are there, but it doesn’t hurt.” 

Cooks recorded 72 tackles as a junior, forcing three fumbles. Texas wants him to join Morice Blackwell, a four-star outside linebacker from Alrington Martin who committed to Texas in the spring. Cooks is the 25th-ranked outside linebacker in the class and a member of the Fabulous 55. 

Texas also made the cut for Pleasant Grove defensive tackle Marcus Burris, a four-star Fab 55 member. Texas A&M and Oklahoma are the finalists alongside the Longhorns. Texas A&M is considered the favorite. His teammate, Landon Jackson, was also a Texas target before the four-star defensive end chose LSU.

Texas trending for Michael Myslinski 

The Longhorns were dealt a tough blow when Tommy and James Brockermeyer, two of the state’s best offensive line prospects, chose Alabama despite their family ties to the Texas program. Tommy, a five-star tackle, and James, the state’s top center prospect, are the sons of former UT standout Brockermeyer and the younger brother of current Longhorns linebacker Luke Brockermeyer. 

Texas wants a center prospect in the 2021 class. The Longhorns are moving out of state for the next target at the position and appear to be in a good position with Myslinski, a three-star from Jacksonville, Fla. who holds 26 offers, including Michigan State, Florida State and Iowa. The 6-2, 285-pound prospect is the son of Tom Myslinski, who played at Tennessee before a nine-year career as an NFL lineman. Tom is currently the strength and conditioning coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars. 

The Longhorns hold a commitment from just one offensive lineman in the 2021 cycle. Texas and offensive line coach Herb Hand need to add more depth at the position. Myslinski is the 17th-ranked center in the country. Texas is also hoping to sign fellow line targets Savion Byrd and Bryce Foster.