Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

15 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I thought the dragon bailed on the suicide run.  They sometimes go on instinct and self preservation (how he ditched her when getting swarmed during the long night)

Figured she decided it was a suicide run and bailed at the last minute. Like others said, just circle around behind the ships and strafe them from the back.

42 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

It's interesting that Dany has spent the entire series claiming that she deserves the Iron Throne because she is the rightful heir based on Targaryen bloodlines, yet now when the truth about Jon comes out, rightful heirs no longer matter to her and she wants to bury that truth. What a hypocrite.

Well, Dany showed her true colors in season 1.  Her older brother Viserys had the better claim to the throne.  But that didn’t stop Dany from giving Khal Drogo the go ahead to kill Viserys.  She showed back then how power hungry she would become.  So I’m not surprised that she’d tell Jon to keep quiet so that she can sit on the Iron Throne.  I think it's in character.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

This is funny as fuck but am I the only one that was bummed out by this scene? Poor Brienne finally found a man and he gives her the pump and dump. I felt bad for her.

Brienne having a relationship with Jaime was a terrible storyline. It felt like a 1980's high school RomCom.

Brienne is pursued by social outcast Tormund but gains the attention of the former high school prom king Jaime Lannister. Who will she choose? The former prom king of course and for a fleeting moment she had it all.

I laughed at her crying, Tormund would have waged war for Brienne, she choose poorly.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

@ jive turkey’s post

It’s in character, but what’s her leverage?

Jon being pussywhipped? She’s got no armies any more.

Edited by slorch

54 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Bran is the Wonder Twin who uses their power to turn into a bucket of water.

He can literally travel to anywhere in Westeros, at any time, listen in to any conversation - completely undetected - and no one ever thinks to ask him if he can take a peek at what Cersei's been up to during the last few weeks?  

28 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Yikes. I know this show has fallen, but for it to have gotten to F&F levels of is kind of concerning. Wasn't it goo or someone who was making fun of everyone for predicting Dany turning heel? Isn't that the general consensus now that she's definitely going to be adversarial against the "goods" of the starks/jon while not being a "big bad" of cersai and euron, etc.?

uh, no. that was ctj.

It is getting ridiculous....my complaint with my friends i dont see why they couldnt just leave season 7/8 as 10 episodes so we dont have all this rushed bullshit
Im sure every fan would rather have that instead of these rushed longer episodes

Agree with most of the critiques above

1 hour ago, ajax said:

All true.

Yet you have Dany spouting wisdom like "the more time I give my enemies the more powerful they get." It's like she didn't hear a single thing Tyrion said.

tyrion - she's bringing in the citizens to protect her, but she'll have to feed and house them, it can't last forever...

varys - and she's losing allies by the day...

dany - the more time i give my enemies, the more powerful they get.

wait, what?

14 minutes ago, F250 said:

Brienne having a relationship with Jaime was a terrible storyline. It felt like a 1980's high school RomCom.

Brienne is pursued by social outcast Tormund but gains the attention of the former high school prom king Jaime Lannister. Who will she choose? The former prom king of course and for a fleeting moment she had it all.

I laughed at her crying, Tormund would have waged war for Brienne, she choose poorly.

To be fair, she didn't ask him to come to her room. If Tormund had the balls to just walk up there, maybe he's climbing that mountain instead of Jamie. 

3 minutes ago, DocZaius said:

He can literally travel to anywhere in Westeros, at any time, listen in to any conversation - completely undetected - and no one ever thinks to ask him if he can take a peek at what Cersei's been up to during the last few weeks?  

I don't think his ambition is to be a weapon.  The show should have just had him travelling back to the tree instead of hanging around.

12 minutes ago, slorch said:

@ jive turkey’s post

It’s in character, but what’s her leverage?

Jon being pussywhipped? She’s got no armies any more.

Not sure she has leverage, well her dragons were leverage, but I guess it was Jon's ambivalence and sense of loyalty?  This can't end well for her.

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

She’s got no armies any more.

Actually she does, at the beginning of the episode Grey Worm said the Unsullied lost only half, and later in the episode they discussed sending the Dothraki at KL, not sure where all these thousands of troops were at the end of last episode.

11 minutes ago, F250 said:

She was terrified of Tormund and rightfully so. He would have skinned that hymen like a snow goat of the Frostfangs.

Of course now that she has a couple rounds under her belt maybe she's ready for the Thunder from Above the Under.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I can’t believe they would actually say, “Yeah, they just forgot about Euron” as their explanation for Dany, Tyrion, Davos, Grey Worm, Jon, and everyone else letting the army get wiped out at sea again.  Maybe let someone else do the inside the episode explanations and re-shoot those for the next two weeks.

Yeah, this was just egregiously stupid by Benioff considering we just had our characters discussing Cersei and her forces not two scenes earlier.  So Dany forgot about the magically teleporting Pirate Fuckboi who has already wiped out her ships, killed off her Dornish allies, previously captured her other Ironborn allies, and who is the right hand man of Cersei?  Right after discussing attacking Cersei and how they were going to move their troops into position? 

I mean, Dany clearly isn't the best commander around and I wouldn't be putting her up for a Nobel Prize anytime soon, but even she isn't that fucking dumb. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

It's interesting that Dany has spent the entire series claiming that she deserves the Iron Throne because she is the rightful heir based on Targaryen bloodlines, yet now when the truth about Jon comes out, rightful heirs no longer matter to her and she wants to bury that truth. What a hypocrite.

But it's not just her bloodline that makes her think she's destined to be Queen.  I mean, walking out of infernos twice is pretty fucking....special.  Even in Westeros world.   It would be tough to think you're not destined when you do that and hatch three dragons, who'd been extinct for centuries. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

speaking of Theon, his story of redemption is another total "WTF"' from D+D. everyone has to have a redemptive/happy ending with these guys. Theon should have died an awful, lonely death a very long time ago considering the path his life has taken since season one, and yet he somehow went from Reek to "the guy we're choosing to be the personal body guard and last line of defense for the most important person who ever lived" in like a matter months. Okie dokie then!

And of course he gets a heroes death and a weeping Sansa crying over his heroic, lifeless body. I'm sorry, but of all of the insanely unbelievable things in this show, from the warlocks of Qarth, to Dany walking out of a fire with three dragons, to Brandon Stark turning into the 3ER, Theon going from Reek to Stark family war hero is a leap way too far for me to just accept. It's contrived Disney shit, and if they think that they're making fans happy by making sure every "good guy" gets their happy ending they are sadly mistaken. 

Theon's arc was not as pivotal as the showrunners probably originally imagined.  I think they did spend too much time on him during the pre-Reek and Reek days.

But he did risk everything to help Sansa escape from Winterfell and was ready to sacrifice himself again to let Sansa get away when the Bolton men caught up to them. Then he left his sister and homeland to come and defend Winterfell against the NK.

He also was like a brother to her when they were raised. I can buy Sansa seeing him as a redeemed person and mourning his death.

Edited by LonghornSean

Just now, LonghornSean said:

Theon's arc was not as pivotal as the showrunners probably originally imagined.  I think they did spend too much time on him during the pre-Reek and Reek days.

But he did risk everything to help Sansa escape from Winterfell and was ready to sacrifice himself again to let Sansa get away when the Bolton men caught up to them. Then he left his sister and homeland to come and defend Winterfell against the NK.

I can buy Sansa seeing him as a redeemed person and mourning his death.

I can agree with that. I just can't see him going from Theon to Reek and then back to Theon in that amount of time (or any amount of time really), particularly the part where he earns one of the most important role's in the defense of actual humanity. I think seeing him go down while fighting inside the gates of Winterfell would have been much more poetic and more realistic than Theon nonsensically climbing the ranks after the mental and physical torture that he's been through. 

2 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I didn't hate the episode like some of you seem to, but it certainly had its wtf moments:

As many have said already, I'm not a fan of the Euron plot device with Dany somehow getting ambushed. He can see her and shoot at her but she didn't see him? These crossbows can destroy an entire fleet of ships? Why were they on ships in the first place? Euron's fleet is worthless as long as they stick to the land.

Ghost is puzzling. He charged into the night against an army of the dead who killed most of the Dothraki, somehow engaged in fighting based on his visible wounds, somehow left the fighting and returned to Winterfell in once piece. All of this was basically off screen so we have no idea what he was doing except that he fought and survived.

Didn't like having the reveal to Sansa and Arya be off screen. We deserve to see stuff like that.

The Bronn scene was awkward and out of place. They should've cut that out and let us see the reveal to Sansa and Arya instead.

Why on earth did Cersei not open fire on Dany, Tyrion, Grey Worm, etc? They were sitting ducks for her crossbows and she let them walk. I find that very hard to believe.

I don't think even Cersei ever killed anyone during a parley. Generally a thing that isn't done.

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

Just now, Gene Parmesan said:

Is the consensus that the writers just suck, or that are they just trying to pander to the fast and furious crowd?  I wonder if they continue this direction into the prequels.

It's more a combination of the writers both sucking and wanting to end the show ASAP.  

13 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

But it's not just her bloodline that makes her think she's destined to be Queen.  I mean, walking out of infernos twice is pretty fucking....special.  Even in Westeros world.   It would be tough to think you're not destined when you do that and hatch three dragons, who'd been extinct for centuries. 

Yeah, but Jon is Westerosi Jesus

On 4/15/2019 at 1:34 PM, CurlyDumps said:

They did not spend 9 years developing one of the greatest characters in modern television only to have her take a "heel turn."

There will be conflict between her and the north, but a heel turn in the traditional sense?  No. This isnt a soap opera or the WWE. 

tenor.gif?itemid=7693497

9 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

I don't think even Cersei ever killed anyone during a parley. Generally a thing that isn't done.

Well, blowing up the country's equivalent of the Vatican along with the highest priest in the land and your son's queen generally isn't done either but that hasn't ever stopped her before now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

You're seriously gonna do this  "I told you so" thing when my prediction was more accurate than yours?   

Two more episodes. I think it's all but telegraphed to us that Dany is turning bad at this point. She's going to burn out King's Landing or at least try, and turn into the Mad Queen. It's coming. One of the Starks (Arya?) will have to put her down.

They've been hinting at it all season. Her reaction to Jon's lineage was almost ham-handed in how much it telegraphed her turning. I am going to be right on this one bud.

Edited by BradInATX

Just now, elguapo said:

Well, blowing up the country's equivalent of the Vatican along with the highest priest in the land and your son's queen generally isn't done either but that hasn't ever stopped her before now.

And she had little problem with letting them run amok until they fucked with her kid. Hell even her own humiliation at their hands which helped cause her to snap didn't result in that level of retaliation. But I actually have a problem with how little blowback she suffered for that.

1 hour ago, DocZaius said:

LuLz 

The tall bitch, midget, Arya and the hound are the only characters that are even watchable now. 

The rest of them are a bunch of whiny cunts that have gone full regard. 

Yeah, I'll watch the last two episodes but mostly for the lulz. 

I’m in the minority here but I’m ok with them speeding up the pace.  First regarding all the Sherlock Holmes dissecting every bit of the show please remember your watching a show about dragons so pump the brakes on bitching about every plot hole.

Also GOT can be notoriously slow paced, which not surprisingly coincides with the episodes following the books.  Everyone knows books will always provider greater detail so when following the books the show could get a little boring (I’m sure some people still bitched about missing details, which is surprising given which thread we are in) but now that there are no books and especially for a final season it’s less about every small detail and more about speeding us along to what will hopefully be a satisfying ending. 

Edited by TexEx15

59 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I bet Jamie knocked her up

Of course he did...that is, if her East German training regimen didn't stop her baby making capabilities.

That way the seed of the Lannisters continues after Cersei gets knocked off.

Magua to the white courtesy phone...

Edited by slorch

8 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

I’m in the minority here but I’m ok with them speeding up the pace.  First regarding all the Sherlock Holmes dissecting every bit of the show please remember your watching a show about dragons so pump the brakes on bitching about every plot hole.

Also GOT can be notoriously slow paced, which not surprisingly coincides with the episodes following the books.  Everyone knows books will always provider greater detail so when following the books the show could get a little boring (I’m sure some people still bitched about missing details, which is surprising given which thread we are in) but now that there are no books and especially for a final season it’s less about every small detail and more about speeding us along to what will hopefully be a satisfying ending. 

I generally agree with you, no issues with speeding up 

I'm not really the type that complains about shows I watch, I usually just stop watching them if they suck (IE The Walking Dead). But I agree with some of the criticism, mostly about character motivations.

The staredown at the wall this last episode was beyond stupid. It's completely out of character for Cersei to not have just wiped them all out. I realize it was done for the dramatic moment but that's bad writing. Writing to the moment vs. what people would logically do. This was so staggeringly weird that it took me out of the moment. 

Also agree about last episode where you'd see big characters (Tormund, Brianna, Jamie) seemingly surrounded and getting overwhelmed by zombies, and they just cut back at the end and they're all good and fine. It was unbelievably confusing and jarring.

I don't really have any problems with the dragon seeking missiles. For me that's one I can just write off to "it's a fantasy show, whatever".

But there's definitely been some poor editing (the battle was unbelievably confusing), and some really, really poor writing where they're just completely ignoring how characters would actually act, in order to create moments. Particularly Cersei and Dany.

Edited by BradInATX

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

This, and a dozen other things she’s done.  And even in this very scene, she killed Missandei.  I’m guessing that executing prisoners from your opponent’s inner circle right in front of them violates the typical norms of parlay etiquette.

Besides, maybe I’m misremembering, but hadn’t Dany killed Essos slaveholders in what was essentially a parlay?  There was a scene of them meeting with her, thinking they had won and demanding her surrender - I think it was in the Mereen rebellion part of the show - and she unleashed the dragons, told them to EABOD and wiped them all out.  

I think Big Worm took off two out of three of the slaveholder's heads at one such meeting.

Edited by Jerry Callo

The pacing is so just all over the place.  D&D are like a kid playing with a VCR remote. Spend 25 minutes on drunken hook ups, then 90 seconds deleting Rhaegal attack ships abandon ships swim shore Missi gone wait wut?

Jamie's crisis of conscience, odd. Like someone else mentioned, what changed? Unless he lied to Brienne so she wouldn't try to follow him to KL? and his plan is to try and end this shit before KL is leveled?

I didn't get Tyrion insisting that it's all over for Cersei.  The whole "you have no shot, just surrender" speech. Seems like the two sides are about even right now.

Ned lied to his own wife for 20 years to protect Jon - a lie that besmirched his honor (kind of a big deal for Ned) - but Jon can't at least wait until the war is over to go run and tell his sisters? Why did they HAVE to know this information yesterday?

Varys' flip-flopping feels a tad dumbed down for his character. He's not owning the fact that he and Tyrion's advising, plans, and strategies have fucking sucked ass up to this point.  And hey, maybe Dany has a right to be a little impatient and pissed off. They're getting their asses kicked up and down Westeros by a pirate. And he still insists on doing this conquering stuff off without a single civilian casualty. 

Jon ditches Ghost, his loyal companion, and can't even be bothered to go give him a PAT ON THE HEAD? After everything Ghost has done for him? WTF?! WTF?!  Worst scene in the series.  Jon is the shittiest pet owner in Westeros.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Jon ditches Ghost, his loyal companion, and can't even be bothered to go give him a PAT ON THE HEAD? After everything Ghost has done for him? WTF?! WTF?!  Worst scene in the series.  Jon is the shittiest pet owner in Westeros.  

My wife was more upset about this than the dragon dying. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

The pacing is so just all over the place.  D&D are like a kid playing with a VCR remote. Spend 25 minutes on drunken hook ups, then 90 seconds deleting Rhaegal attack ships abandon ships swim shore Missi gone wait wut?

Jamie's crisis of conscience, odd. Like someone else mentioned, what changed? Unless he lied to Brienne so she wouldn't try to follow him to KL? and his plan is to try and end this shit before KL is leveled?

I didn't get Tyrion insisting that it's all over for Cersei.  The whole "you have no shot, just surrender" speech. Seems like the two sides are about even right now.

Ned lied to his own wife for 20 years to protect Jon - a lie that besmirched his honor (kind of a big deal for Ned) - but Jon can't at least wait until the war is over to go run and tell his sisters? Why did they HAVE to know this information yesterday?

Varys' flip-flopping feels a tad dumbed down for his character. He's not owning the fact that he and Tyrion's advising, plans, and strategies have fucking sucked ass up to this point.  And hey, maybe Dany has a right to be a little impatient and pissed off. They're getting their asses kicked up and down Westeros by a pirate. And he still insists on doing this conquering stuff off without a single civilian casualty. 

I was yelling out loud at the TV when Jon just walked away from Ghost like that. I was legitimately pissed. I must have gone on about it for 30 seconds while the show was still going. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, alincoln said:

The episode was a mixed bag that included some of the worst scenes in the entire series (Rhaegal's death, Gendry's proposal to Arya, Bronn walking into Winterfell with his crossbow) but also some relatively classic scenes (Hound and Arya scenes, Tormund scenes, Varys and Tyrion scenes).  It served its purpose to assemble the characters for the final battle but certainly won't be remembered as a great episode.

"Which one of you cowards shit in my pants" was fucking amazing.

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread