Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Would love to see some pics on here of kick ass backyards from surly shagsters. I’m thinking about building an extended patio and cover, with a fireplace, tv hanging area, and some outdoor kitchen crapola.

 

Recognizing the price could be all over the map, my wild ass guess is $35-40k. Is that guess high, low or about right for something nice but not over the top?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

 

Would love to see some pics on here of kick ass backyards from surly shagsters. I’m thinking about building an extended patio and cover, with a fireplace, tv hanging area, and some outdoor kitchen crapola.

 

Recognizing the price could be all over the map, my wild ass guess is $35-40k. Is that guess high, low or about right for something nice but not over the top?

 

It is close, but the kitchen may push it closer to 60k or more depending on what all you want. We used https://texascustompatios.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

Budget is going to depend on how much space you want and how over the top you want to go. We did a 14x28 covered patio with a tongue in groove ceiling, can lights, two ceiling fans, and extra plugs in a few places for around $20k. It has quite a bit of custom woodwork so it probably could be done cheaper. The kitchen is going to be another $12k or so and the furniture was several grand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

It’s not as fancy as others but we are happy with the extension and cover we did last year.
We had a budget of $15k for the backyard and between a new fence, patio extension and cover we spent just about all of it.
Around $6500 for the patio.
a84297c3f851cdedcef9166417712362.jpg

$6500 for the covered patio + concrete?  I have a co-worker who wants to do something very similar to what you've got...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy with my backyard. Previous owner did it.  Outdoor kitchen with built-in Napolean grill, sink, mini-fridge, speakers wired to my receiver in the garage, and built-in hot tob. Big pergola with a couple of ceiling fans with wisteria vine on top.  The wisteria provides basically 100% shade; the only problem with that is in the summer it drops small flowers all the time.  I can blow it off in the afternoon and an hour later more has dropped.  Tiny nit, I guess.

I have a mini-fridge in there but it's not even plugged in because my garage fridge is 15 yards away and it keeps the beer colder.  I am looking to get a masonry guy to reconfig that spot to put my large BGE in there as a built-in.  I have had 1 guy come out to get me a quote but lots of these trade guys are so busy that I haven't even got a # from him...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a friend who has one of the best I've seen.  He has about 5 acres and he has a separate 3-car garage in his backyard with a 2-2 guest house on top. Built into the structure is a giant covered patio for his pool. He has a giant tiled backsplash with a big longhorn logo. Very cool.  And of course a restroom/shower, built-in grill, tv, ...

But one of the features that is unique is he has a bar type roll-top cooler; this has to be commercial-grade stuff because I've never seen it outside a restaurant/bar.  Coldest beer I've ever had. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
I have a friend who has one of the best I've seen.  He has about 5 acres and he has a separate 3-car garage in his backyard with a 2-2 guest house on top. Built into the structure is a giant covered patio for his pool. He has a giant tiled backsplash with a big longhorn logo. Very cool.  And of course a restroom/shower, built-in grill, tv, ...
But one of the features that is unique is he has a bar type roll-top cooler; this has to be commercial-grade stuff because I've never seen it outside a restaurant/bar.  Coldest beer I've ever had. 


Since you didn’t post a pic, I’m going to.

990f3361127daa03adac6fa3d09b7779.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:


Probably a little less than that for the concrete and cover.

I just relayed that to him.  I've been telling him to just do it.  This price is definitely in what he was hoping for...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RD3 said:

Here goes... this is my backyard.  Some work to go still though.

back1_zpsyge8irvb.jpg

The mini-fridge on the left isn't even plugged in. Sooner than later I want to have a  contractor turn that area into a nest for the BGE.

And this picture was taken around noon.  The wisteria + the pergola give almost 100% shade even year round.  But I will add that I blew off the patio of the wisteria flowers (which actually smells good) before taking the picture.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Quagmire said:

I have one of those coolers, they suck for keeping stuff cold

Mine is custom-made (they all are I guess) with an Igloo cooler as the "guts".  It isn't galvanized steel.  It is made such that when you close it the lid of the Igloo closes like normal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RD3 said:

Mine is custom-made (they all are I guess) with an Igloo cooler as the "guts".  It isn't galvanized steel.  It is made such that when you close it the lid of the Igloo closes like normal.

A true 1%er would have used a  yeti over igloo

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Archer said:

Here is our backyard. We put this in in 2013. Pergola, patio, TV, speakers, fire pit, hammock stand, kitchen, pool and hot tub. Plants have grown and the furniture layout and colors have changed over time. 

1_AE5_BFA1_8_E01_44_BC_9_D16_A6_E1930_FC
E0_E23580_715_C_4_A7_F_9_B77_83_E6_C7_A6
C815913_D_E4_B7_4_EE1_9_BF4_BF2093209_B6
0398_B38_B_2_F66_4039_B5_C5_EB03_E4_F2_E
428521_AA_97_E4_4577_9637_041520_C0_FC55
8_C6_B954_D_AF32_4_B9_D_B9_AC_9_B7814610

I'm a big fan of leaving backyards as open as possible.   Makes backyards feels much bigger than they are.   Over the last decade, my neighborhood (Houston Garden Oaks) went from many 4 foot tall chain link fences to majority 8 foot privacy.  horrible look. 

and for those that talk about the need for privacy, it's not private when the 2-story neighbor's house is five feet off the fence line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Here is our backyard. We put this in in 2013. Pergola, patio, TV, speakers, fire pit, hammock stand, kitchen, pool and hot tub. Plants have grown and the furniture layout and colors have changed over time. 
1_AE5_BFA1_8_E01_44_BC_9_D16_A6_E1930_FCE33.jpg
E0_E23580_715_C_4_A7_F_9_B77_83_E6_C7_A6149_E.jpg
C815913_D_E4_B7_4_EE1_9_BF4_BF2093209_B6_B.jpg
0398_B38_B_2_F66_4039_B5_C5_EB03_E4_F2_E8_BE.jpg
428521_AA_97_E4_4577_9637_041520_C0_FC55.jpg
8_C6_B954_D_AF32_4_B9_D_B9_AC_9_B7814610265.jpg


Outstanding. Thats a nice backyard oasis.
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Archer said:

Here is our backyard. We put this in in 2013. Pergola, patio, TV, speakers, fire pit, hammock stand, kitchen, pool and hot tub. Plants have grown and the furniture layout and colors have changed over time. 

1_AE5_BFA1_8_E01_44_BC_9_D16_A6_E1930_FC
E0_E23580_715_C_4_A7_F_9_B77_83_E6_C7_A6
C815913_D_E4_B7_4_EE1_9_BF4_BF2093209_B6
0398_B38_B_2_F66_4039_B5_C5_EB03_E4_F2_E
428521_AA_97_E4_4577_9637_041520_C0_FC55
8_C6_B954_D_AF32_4_B9_D_B9_AC_9_B7814610

That looks like what I want to do with my back yard. It's about the same size, but I need to figure out where to put a chicken coop and have room for the dogs to run arouns and shit....

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

That looks like what I want to do with my back yard. It's about the same size, but I need to figure out where to put a chicken coop and have room for the dogs to run arouns and shit....

Our dogs had quite a bit of room, there is probably 6’ between the pool equipment and the back fence and the north and south areas were pretty open. It’s basically a big horseshoe of grass around the concrete. They would also haul balls across the patio. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 10:58 AM, Archer said:

Here is our backyard. We put this in in 2013. Pergola, patio, TV, speakers, fire pit, hammock stand, kitchen, pool and hot tub. Plants have grown and the furniture layout and colors have changed over time. 

1_AE5_BFA1_8_E01_44_BC_9_D16_A6_E1930_FC
E0_E23580_715_C_4_A7_F_9_B77_83_E6_C7_A6
C815913_D_E4_B7_4_EE1_9_BF4_BF2093209_B6
0398_B38_B_2_F66_4039_B5_C5_EB03_E4_F2_E
428521_AA_97_E4_4577_9637_041520_C0_FC55
8_C6_B954_D_AF32_4_B9_D_B9_AC_9_B7814610

Screw you and your sunset.  Fuck me running.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...
On 7/29/2018 at 9:56 AM, BigDHornfan said:

It’s not as fancy as others but we are happy with the extension and cover we did last year.
We had a budget of $15k for the backyard and between a new fence, patio extension and cover we spent just about all of it.
Around $6500 for the patio.
a84297c3f851cdedcef9166417712362.jpg
0f8ae30cd1cd4da03cd7c2546c2c27bd.jpg
8ea9104df129420935c8182658b1d792.jpg
fbcb827b5e497354b87d99464905b465.jpg
87f375b20b4b0e0ea4fe4498adb95281.jpg

From your handle, I am guessing you are not in Austin. 

Does anyone have a local Austin recommendation for someone honest who could do a nice simple covered patio, like quoted here?

Pour a pad, build a covering coming off the roof, run a little electrical

TIA

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the screen porch we're giving up as the house is currently under contract.  Fieldstone veneer fireplace, Ipe (ee-pay) decking, vaulted skylit ceiling, cypress framed bronzed coated, copper screening, (3) 10' wide  openings from the dining room, and great room, and an additional concrete paver, and grass patio for true outdoor dining.

It's the favorite room during parties winter or summer for hanging out , having a cigar, and a drink or two, and catching games on the TV.

FullSizeRender-8.jpg

  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgot I started this thread a year and a half ago. Of course, I still haven’t found someone to build an expanded covered patio. I’ve contacted about six companies over the last 18 months and all have had issues of some sort: bait and switch pricing, non-responsive, unprofessional quotes, etc. I know exactly what i want, but can’t find anyone reliable to quote it and build it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Forgot I started this thread a year and a half ago. Of course, I still haven’t found someone to build an expanded covered patio. I’ve contacted about six companies over the last 18 months and all have had issues of some sort: bait and switch pricing, non-responsive, unprofessional quotes, etc. I know exactly what i want, but can’t find anyone reliable to quote it and build it.

Where are you?

Edited by deadshank
Nevermind. I re-read the thread. If you were in Houston I'd have your money in my pocket and you'd be drinking in your new backyard.
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2018 at 1:16 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm a big fan of leaving backyards as open as possible.   Makes backyards feels much bigger than they are.   Over the last decade, my neighborhood (Houston Garden Oaks) went from many 4 foot tall chain link fences to majority 8 foot privacy.  horrible look. 

and for those that talk about the need for privacy, it's not private when the 2-story neighbor's house is five feet off the fence line.

$400 each for the slate tiles on the 11’x21’ patio, the iron furniture from HEB (it was open), and the Weber Spirit 210. 
Didn’t want to look at the wood fence, so we planted the wax leaf ligustrms (all free). Am a tightwad asshole.

Don’t go out there much anymore though except to grill some protein.

image.jpg

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Correct!  You're pretty good, Old Timer.

 

But you win NOTHING.

 

Can you pronounce the name is the big question.

Jagoff?

(nope, never have heard it pronounced)

First  saw his work at the Parade of Homes out at Costa Bella on Lake Travis some time ago. His designs must be a roofer’s $$$$$ dream & working nightmare all rolled into one. I like his floor plan designs.. and check his website once in a while. That’s where I saw the observatory feature several years ago. 

Edited by Armybrat
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Jagoff?

(nope, never have heard it pronounced)

First  saw his work at the Parade of Homes out at Costa Bella on Lake Travis some time ago. His designs must be a roofer’s $$$$$ dream & working nightmare all rolled into one. I like his floor plan designs.. and check his website once in a while. That’s where I saw the observatory feature several years ago. 

"how-duh-gee" with a hard "G."  And it is "Lou-ees" and not "Lewis."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...