Sumlin boots Marichol off team

Gil Bang

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Ah yes, brings back memories of Buck Burnette 

I thought about the same thing.  I had classes with Buck.  Actually seemed like a really nice guy.  Was shocked when that stuff came out. 

Racism in football is just bizarre to me.  I mean, it's bizarre anywhere I guess, but in the context of a sport where most of your teammates will be black, and in this case your coach is as well, harboring those feelings just seems like it must be a constant internal dissonance. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I thought about the same thing.  I had classes with Buck.  Actually seemed like a really nice guy.  Was shocked when that stuff came out. 

Racism in football is just bizarre to me.  I mean, it's bizarre anywhere I guess, but in the context of a sport where most of your teammates will be black, and in this case your coach is as well, harboring those feelings just seems like it must be a constant internal dissonance. 

Are you under the impression racism is logical? It has no rules.

10 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

There's some kind of dichotomy thing going on.  Kind of a paradox.  I think there are people in this world that 99.9% or some other great percentage of the time wish people of other races no ill and harbor no "racist" thoughts. But in a moment of anger or frustration might resort to the lowest common denominator type of insult: race or possibly other aspects of physical appearance.  Maybe it's a revelation of their deepest, most sincere thoughts, or maybe it's just being an asshole in the moment.  I don't know.

This would probably not apply to Burnette, who was talking about nagger hunting, IIRC.  Might apply here and there to others, though.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, pacman said:

Are you under the impression racism is logical? It has no rules.

Yeah, that's fair.

I would just be less surprised if people do their best to avoid interacting with groups of people they generally hate.  Choosing to involve yourself in an activity that ensures your daily interaction with, and dependence on, groups you hate seems like an odd choice. 

But as you say, I'm expecting rational decision making or basic intelligence from racists, so yeah. 

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Well time for Marchiol to go full McMurphy and burn things down

Aggy will just use this as a narrative that the guy is vindictive and unstable and therefor nothing he came forth with with regard to aggy violations should be taken seriously.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm so confused. This kid is such a racist that he committed to Kevin Sumlin once at A&M and then transferred to be with him again at Arizona? Someone may want to inform him that Kevin Sumlin is black. Perhaps he should swing by the Houston Country Club so somebody can set him straight.

Remember the Golden Rule of Recruiting: You pick the school, not the coach. I am pretty sure Santino felt very comfortable in aggyland.

3 hours ago, Wishbone said:

Aggy will just use this as a narrative that the guy is vindictive and unstable and therefor nothing he came forth with with regard to aggy violations should be taken seriously.

Reported that aggy detectives discovered the comments.

Arizona dismissed linebacker Santino Marchiol from the program Monday, coach Kevin Sumlin announced, after a video surfaced over the weekend in which he twice appeared to refer to former Texas A&M teammates as monkeys.

The source of the video, which was uploaded just last week, was Marchiol’s Hudl account, a Web site where film and other analytics are stored. The offensive clip was discovered by Texas A&M fans and then circulated on social media before it was deleted. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2018/08/27/santino-marchiol-dismissed-arizona-after-video-racist-term/1114260002/

If I remember correctly .............EDIT,   nope I was way off

dumbass  Buck posted this on his Facebook page the evening that Prez Obama was elected: 

"all the hunters gather up, we have a #$%&er in the whitehouse"

https://deadspin.com/5078513/texas-lineman-gets-kicked-off-team-for-racist-facebook-message-to-barack-obama

Edited by AUS-97HORN

50 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

If I remember correctly .............EDIT,   nope I was way off

dumbass  Buck posted this on his Facebook page the evening that Prez Obama was elected: 

"all the hunters gather up, we have a #$%&er in the whitehouse"

https://deadspin.com/5078513/texas-lineman-gets-kicked-off-team-for-racist-facebook-message-to-barack-obama

Not that it matters that much, but the N-word was not the slur that Buck used. 

He used coon.

1 hour ago, torre said:

Reported that aggy detectives discovered the comments.

Arizona dismissed linebacker Santino Marchiol from the program Monday, coach Kevin Sumlin announced, after a video surfaced over the weekend in which he twice appeared to refer to former Texas A&M teammates as monkeys.

The source of the video, which was uploaded just last week, was Marchiol’s Hudl account, a Web site where film and other analytics are stored. The offensive clip was discovered by Texas A&M fans and then circulated on social media before it was deleted. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/pac12/2018/08/27/santino-marchiol-dismissed-arizona-after-video-racist-term/1114260002/

They didn't seem to mind when Johnny Football was throwing racial slurs at people.

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm so confused. This kid is such a racist that he committed to Kevin Sumlin once at A&M and then transferred to be with him again at Arizona? Someone may want to inform him that Kevin Sumlin is black. Perhaps he should swing by the Houston Country Club so somebody can set him straight.

Marchiole was the one who sent the note.

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Now he is no longer committed to anyone, lets just hope he lets the cat out of the bag, or the sheep out of the barn and tells all.

He's probably less likely to go scorched earth.  I expect he'll enroll at a JUCO and keep his mouth shut in hopes some other coach might give him a third chance.  I assume he and his parents still have NFL aspirations - despite his 5.1 speed.

How hard is it not to call people of another race something shitty on camera when your entire planned future career depends on it? Racism aside it's just mindbogglingly stupid.

Lord knows I was a dumbass teenager at a not all that diverse high school, but the thought never even occured to me...