Tom "the turtle" Herman [Lame Duck or greatest 5d chess player ever?]

Neonmoon

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You could do the same thing with 2018 though and we'd have been sitting at 7 or 8 wins.

Yep.  And we probably pulled a couple out his first year that could’ve gone the other way.  Hence you are your record and none of the years have been good enough.  I’ll give just about any coach a mulligan for year 1 and we were better year 2.   Year 3 was crap and that’s why he’s close to being fired right?

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Totally and likeParcells has said you are what your record is.  But The flip side would be if we could flip three plays his first year, we are likely 10-3

that's what makes it so frustrating-- I don't really want to accept Herman's as bad as his record indicates. I really wanted to believe in the guy. But three years in, too many of the "if we could flip three plays" scenarios are us coming up short. The preponderance of evidence, so to speak-- the guy's not going to get it done here. We're stuck wasting our time until he's fired and we start over, again. 

38 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

We had a 21-point lead in the 4th quarter. They weren't that much more talented. 

exactly. we should have ran those fuckers right out of the stadium. they were ready to quit and we let them back in the game with a horrendous 3 play stretch. if we get a first down here,  they quit, we  score again and it's back to a 21 point game with 3 or 4 minutes left. everyone wearing red leaves ...instead we make a horrible play call, throwing an incomplete pass on 3rd and 3, shank a 22 yard punt, and inexcusably allow KM a 1 play 67 yard td and it's a 7 point game

• 3rd & 3 at TEX 45

(5:28 - 4th) Sam Ehlinger pass incomplete to Keaontay Ingram

• 4th & 3 at TEX 45

(5:22 - 4th) Ryan Bujcevski punt for 22 yds, punt out-of-bounds at the Okla 33

• 1st & 10 at OKLA 33

(5:11 - 4th) Kyler Murray 67 Yd Run (Austin Seibert Kick)

Edited by Dennis Taylor

6 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I guess I’m old school when it comes to professional conduct. But regardless of the situation you keep your shit together. No one wants to see the captain of the ship running around screaming “fuck it we’re all gonna die”.

Running one of the most prestigious and powerful football programs in the country while attempting to act like an adult?   

Not sure that really has much to do with "old school" thinking.  

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 9:04 AM, Lobo said:

I don't know how we managed to it.  And We'll be studied by media departments for decades.  

But how did we fuck up having our own Television Network so bad?  Disney dropped a literal fleet of trucks on our campus, some filled with production equipment, studio sets, electronics, and satellites with which to beam Longhorn branded content straight into the homes of recruits every single night.  And still other trucks in the fleet were packed with cash, $300mm worth of cash to be exact.  And every coach has treated it like a pain in the ass, something they have to deal with that takes away from their strategic genius.  Obviously Herman feels the same way.   

By losing a lot.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

that's what makes it so frustrating-- I don't really want to accept Herman's as bad as his record indicates. I really wanted to believe in the guy. But three years in, too many of the "if we could flip three plays" scenarios are us coming up short. The preponderance of evidence, so to speak-- the guy's not going to get it done here. We're stuck wasting our time until he's fired and we start over, again. 

I was super bullish especially coming off of the mess Charlie was.   Tom seemed super organized and thought outside of the box.  The opposite of Charlie.   I do think he’s a sharp guy and think he does deserve uear four 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I was super bullish especially coming off of the mess Charlie was.   Tom seemed super organized and thought outside of the box.  The opposite of Charlie.   I do think he’s a sharp guy and think he does deserve uear four 

source.gif

Win or do not. Since he is staying, I'll be rooting like hell for him to succeed (our team to win). But if the team doesn't take a big leap toward championships, I'll be rooting like hell for him to be shitcanned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

source.gif

Win or do not. Since he is staying, I'll be rooting like hell for him to succeed (our team to win). But if the team doesn't take a big leap toward championships, I'll be rooting like hell for him to be shitcanned.

That's how my feelings are too.  I want the football team to be fantastic and beat then shit out of OU twice a year.  But if he doesn't, he can get fucked.  It's put up or shut up time.

Just now, pearlandhorn said:

That's how my feelings are too.  I want the football team to be fantastic and beat then shit out of OU twice a year.  But if he doesn't, he can get fucked.  It's put up or shut up time.

I like that and I am aligned.  Win the conference.  Beat the crap out of ou.  That should be our expectation.  We haven’t come close too many years this century

15 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I do think he's been organized in recruiting and built a much more modern support staff. That will pay dividends no matter who is coaching in the future.

8 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

So you refuse to answer the question cool

it's a stupid fucking question, i don't think anyone is going to answer it. we get it, you think everything is fine and that tom herman will win multiple national championships because dabo swinney exists.

it's noted.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

because that was an obvious bullshit cover story

Of course. It's just that the guy keeps digging a deeper hole and adding to the phoniness.

So blinded by his unbridled opinion of his own intelligence that surely there's no way others can see right through it. 

Okay.

9 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Of course. It's just that the guy keeps digging a deeper hole and adding to the phoniness.

So blinded by his unbridled opinion of his own intelligence that surely there's no way others can see right through it. 

Okay.

So is CDC just letting him hang himself with this stupid cover story?  Who signs off on that?  I realize in a perfect world teaching Tom how to wipe his own ass wouldn't be something that needs to be done, but here we are.

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Looking to next year, Ash is hopefully not a meathead. They will have more talent on the roster than this year. Hopefully the new OC brings something fresh to the table. And maybe Herman dials back his navy seal runny eggs bullshit and actually acts with some authenticity. Probably not but hoping he does. If all that happens we can be very good next year.

I don't think he knows anything about Navy Seals.  This is the more likely source:

• Like 1

It’s a complete non-story

however it is incredibly indicative of his attitude towards UT leadership and his Fanbase.   He thinks we are all just standing in the way of his brilliance and that he is the next Nick Saban if we could all just get the fuck out of his way.  

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I thought much that same way.  Then I saw some statistic about last year and last possession games, and the fact that we won an unusual amount of them.  We had some breaks and a couple of game players last year, otherwise it should have easily been 8-4 or 7-5.  We should have throttled some of those teams.  See the OU example above.  That's coaching.  He got lucky last year.

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I like that and I am aligned.  Win the conference.  Beat the crap out of ou.  That should be our expectation.  We haven’t come close too many years this century

AND win National Championships.  We should go into every season with a team expected to compete for a NC.  Anything less is bullshit and not acceptable.  

• Like 2

I have no doubt that Tom has a very high IQ and is a capable football coach when it comes to X’s And O’s.

But.... he reminds me of the killer, rain-maker sales guy that is arrogant, eccentric and a loose cannon.  He does what he does very well but outside of that small box he’s difficult to be around and alienates a lot of people who work with him.  

You can’t always take the top sales guy and make him the Sales Manager and I think that’s what’s been done here.  

• Like 2

University wide cover up of football players raping female students. Athletic departments knowing and allowing academic fraud. College basketball coaches in FBI probes.  Those are scenarios that are "bad looks" for a university.  A head coach flipping the bird on camera in the recruiting war room.  That is a but a spec of sand on a beach, my friends.  Hate Herman for other things, but the over reaction to this is just plain dumb.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

AND win National Championships.  We should go into every season with a team expected to compete for a NC.  Anything less is bullshit and not acceptable.  

Yea I’m talking bare minimum

7 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I have no doubt that Tom has a very high IQ and is a capable football coach when it comes to X’s And O’s.

But.... he reminds me of the killer, rain-maker sales guy that is arrogant, eccentric and a loose cannon.  He does what he does very well but outside of that small box he’s difficult to be around and alienates a lot of people who work with him.  

You can’t always take the top sales guy and make him the Sales Manager and I think that’s what’s been done here.  

I’m in sales.  Yea.   Pretty much 

30 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Some people expected Texas to compete for an NC or play in the playoffs this year. I call that "bullshit" and "not acceptable."

18 minutes ago, Delta Charlie said:

University wide cover up of football players raping female students. Athletic departments knowing and allowing academic fraud. College basketball coaches in FBI probes.  Those are scenarios that are "bad looks" for a university.  A head coach flipping the bird on camera in the recruiting war room.  That is a but a spec of sand on a beach, my friends.  Hate Herman for other things, but the over reaction to this is just plain dumb.

Most things come with varying degrees.  Tom double birding the camera is a bad look.  All of the other things you described are atrocities.  

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I do.  He doesn't seem particularly intelligent or adept at X's and O's.  Maybe someone took his IQ test for him.  

As for X's and O's, our offense is inflexible and unimaginative.  Riley runs circles around Mensa Tom.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Some people expected Texas to compete for an NC or play in the playoffs this year. I call that "bullshit" and "not acceptable."

Do you call losing TCU and barely beating Kansas the proper expectation. Some people here try to swing the pendulum all the way to an NC and playoffs when the bitching here is about utter incompetence. That way they can say we are complaining over unrealistic expectations.

1 hour ago, Delta Charlie said:

you're right, Tom Herman didn't murder anyone or misuse someone's preferred pronouns

1 hour ago, tjhooker said:

Name checks out. 

Also, why are you only using the example that is the rarest case. There are countless 7 win coaches their 3rd yr that ended up sucking and needing shitcanning.  Why aren't you citing those for example?  Your comment about Dabo is not based in logical thought 

Yes logic is firing a coach after year three that already has a Sugar Bowl under his belt. We’re seriously the dumbest fanbase in CFB. Herbie was right. What coach is gonna want to coach here and put up with our fans?

2 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

spacer.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Yes logic is firing a coach after year three that already has a Sugar Bowl under his belt. We’re seriously the dumbest fanbase in CFB. Herbie was right. What coach is gonna want to coach here and put up with our fans?

We all understand and enjoyed the Sugar Bowl win. The mountain of evidence to suggest that Tom Herman is not the guy still exists. These two things can coexist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tjhooker said:

Yes, we can no longer expect to beat those programs consistently. 

My man, nobody here is satisfied or content with this season. That’s a strawman argument. The debate is our fanbase lack of patience and thinking just firing coaches in year three is solid long term strategy. Herman has been proactive in the offseason in terms of changing his staff. Let’s see if he can change it before jumping out the window

Assuming we finish 10-2 and lose CCG to finish 10-3, whether or not we win bowl game I’d fire him. Because it’d imply we weren’t good enough to beat LSU and OU with whatever at QB during Sam’s senior year. I’d want him gone. 
It’d take a coup for CDC to do that, and would require him hiring someone like Urban. Anyone who witnesses a 11-3 season with a bowl win but no CCG and bitches we replaced the cockdaddy fraud with Urban can fuck right off. 
Bruh...

I'm one of the founders of the "Championships" clubs, but this is crazy talk.

If he makes 2 CCGs in 4 seasons, firing him is crazy. The talent will continue to improve and the CCG wins will come.

The team this year wasn't far away... The defense was just trash. A slight defensive improvement and a few FGs would have put us in the ccg.
  • Like 1

A few field goals is nine points.  You feel that nine more points takes us from 5-4 in league play to 8-1 which was the record Of both teams this particular season.  

It would appear that in your pocket is the same scoring card that both Charlie Strong and Tom Herman possess.

I can only assume it is made by the same company that makes those black jack strategy cards they tell you to hit on 19 when the dealer is showing a five

• immamac changed the title to Tom Herman, Still The Head Coach at Texas