Sam Ehlinger

wild_turkey

1 minute ago, Snacks said:

I hope they do, and i hope we run the ball up the middle until the safeties creep up...

we had late success running the ball because our d wrecked shopped on usc's offense, specifically their oline which everyone knew sucked.  their d was tired and gave up from all the 3 and outs from their offense.  we will not have that luxury against tcu.  it'll be tough ground yards against tcu.

robinson is on par with ehlinger on his passing ability, maybe even suckier, but cumbie isn't tim beck.  cumbie will find ways to exploit hager and our d. we aren't exactly stellar at stopping mobile qbs.  robinson may suck passing the ball, but he's a much better runner than any qb we've faced.  the ewok will present an even bigger issue the week after.

Just now, crash_davis said:

we had late success running the ball because our d wrecked shopped on usc's offense, specifically their oline which everyone knew sucked.  their d was tired and gave up from all the 3 and outs from their offense.  we will not have that luxury against tcu.  it'll be tough ground yards against tcu.

robinson is on par with ehlinger on his passing ability, maybe even suckier, but cumbie isn't tim beck.  cumbie will find ways to exploit hager and our d. we aren't exactly stellar at stopping mobile qbs.  robinson may suck passing the ball, but he's a much better runner than any qb we've faced.  the ewok will present an even bigger issue the week after.

i still want us to commit to running the ball... luxury or not.

run

the

ball

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Also, anyone crowing right now about Ehlinger doing anything other than showing up and being positively average this past Saturday are either Westlake honks or clueless about the game. I'd like to think that Ehlinger can continue the relatively idiot-free play this Saturday against TCU, but I feel pretty certain that Patterson and crew are fucking cackling right now about how many looks they're going to give Ehlinger in order to coax a multitude of baffling totally expected turnovers. 

Fify. I expect two, but I'm hoping they're more of the "arm punt" variety and less of the "endzone pick returned for a touchdown" sort.

I suspect the playcalling is more on the "we don't trust Sam" side. It seems like many of the plays are designed to limit the amount of processing he has to do, which, yeah, that's probably not a bad idea.

To be a little more fair to Sam, he did have some very solid passes, as well as a couple others that should have been caught. He also should have gotten tagged for a safety. I think most of the reason he looked better is that the offense looked (slightly) more effective, and that had a ton to do with (occasionally) not playing directly into our tendencies and actually planning to have Sam run the ball.

1297309233936_9119684.png

On 9/16/2018 at 12:28 PM, HuntinHorn said:

Are we talking about the same indecisive Shane, who holds onto the ball too long, self sacks, doesn't see open receivers, and we came to conclusion last season that his deep ball wasn't nearly as accurate as the legend tells us?   That Shane Buechele?  We want to replace Sam with him for a few series to see what he can do?   Hard pass...

On edit...I left out gets injured nearly every game.....still hard pass.......

Yep. Let Sam develop. 

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

i still want us to commit to running the ball... luxury or not.

run

the

ball

Lets pray Ingram is available.

As for Sam, through his first three games last year he had 5 TD's and 3 ints - this year its 6 TDs and 2 ints.  That's progress.  I guess.

Against TCU's two FBS opponents this year Robinson has 2 TD's and 3 ints on 57% passing - hopefully that trend continues.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HuntinHorn said:

Shane is no Sam, Steve.. he’s fine with the clipboard..... if he doesn’t get injured holding it.

But Surly wouldn’t be Surly without folks calling for the backup to start.

Every idiot claims that because it it doesn't require thought.   Colt's back-up get called on?  Kinne, Harris, Chiles? Only idiots wanted Snead over him.   I also don't recall people wanting Nordgren over VY, but hey its been a while.    

Texas could end up having a solid year if things break right, but realistically I doubt Texas can truly win 10+ games with Sam's upside even beyond this year.  He can end up pretty good, but he just will never be an elite passer in terms of borderline and up NFL level anticipation and accuracy.  I hope I am wrong, but I think one has to hope Rising (or maybe Card or someone else later) in fact can end up the starter down the road as an elite QB. 

I was in the "fuck it, let's see what Shane can do" headspace after Maryland.  Sam has played better, and really well in spurts, since then, and hasn't committed any more horrible late-game turnovers (yet).  And actually looked competent toward the end of the USC game, doing things like throwing the ball away on 3rd down instead of trying to play hero ball.

The notion that Shane could come in and instantly improve the offense is probably a pipe dream.  I'm in the "Keep Sam" camp for now.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 1:03 PM, Nivek said:

Shane has never had as good as a line as we have had now.  Nor did he run into the back of of his linemen and take himself out losing yards in the Maryland game.  I seem to recall Sam doing just that.   I am happy we have Sam on our team Mrs. Ellinger.  He has some positives, but the toss to the USC defender at the half was typical for him.   

Christ. I can’t believe that someone is idiotic enough to still think that Shane is anywhere near comparable a runner to Sam. It’s not a contest. Shane is the antithesis of a playmaker. 

12 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

I was in the "fuck it, let's see what Shane can do" headspace after Maryland.  Sam has played better, and really well in spurts, since then, and hasn't committed any more horrible late-game turnovers (yet).  And actually looked competent toward the end of the USC game, doing things like throwing the ball away on 3rd down instead of trying to play hero ball.

The notion that Shane could come in and instantly improve the offense is probably a pipe dream.  I'm in the "Keep Sam" camp for now.

Same here.  He's far from Vince Young, but after watching the USC replay, Sam made several key runs in the second half that Shane just couldn't have made.  If Shane was back there, USC and the rest of the universe would have known he was no threat to run and adjusted accordingly.

4 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

It's pick your poison, imo.  Both of them are cringe worthy back there coupled with our horrible play calling.  You are basically advocating throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks not realizing that I literally mean shit and now you've got shit on your walls.

Think back over the last 8.25 seasons. Name one QB over those years you’d rather have than Sam or Shane. I’d say, perhaps, only Ash but it’s a maybe because he was average for 1/2 of his games, but he probably wasn’t gonna cost you a game like Sam did last year and against Maryland. 

They both have weaknesses but are not cringeworthy. We are so much better off at QB now than we have been since ‘09, and it should only get better. 

3 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

I agree they are basically equal in most aspects of the game (passing ability, decision making, durability, etc.) except running. As we’ve seen, the QB must be a legitimate threat to run the ball in this offense.

I too believe the transfer rumors which is one reason why I don’t think there would be any QB controversy. Shane is not the future here and everyone knows it. Think of the QB room next year. Shane doesn’t have a chance.

I tend to think we’ll see more QBs play as the year goes on but this stretch is so important, Sam will likely get all the work for consistency and confidence.

They are not even close on pocket presence, or size, or leadership. Sam may not be Tom Brady accurate, but the best offense we have seen in the last year and 3 games was Sam.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

These injuries and suspensions are going to hurt.

Roach, Foster, and Ingram particularly.  

Damn.  I really believe Ingram gives us a dimension on offense we don't have right now.

Tre has shown flashes. He needs to keep getting the rock and I think he will have a break out game. No more putting in Porter, it should be Tre until he is gassed then Danny.

12 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Christ. I can’t believe that someone is idiotic enough to still think that Shane is anywhere near comparable a runner to Sam. It’s not a contest. Shane is the antithesis of a playmaker. 

Wookie Defense or just shit comprehension skills?   

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Still and all, I am not sure the current or any past version of Ehlinger, even behind a rock-solid line, is capable of putting up those kind of numbers.  2,958yds/21TD/11INT.

Really? Because Ehlinger is on pace for 2,892/24 TD/8 INT so far this season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Shane really ran the stats up on that loss to Kansas. 17/25 for a buck sixty five and 3 picks. 

Honestly I think if you were the starting QB in a fucking loss to Kansas you shouldn't put anything on but a headset for the rest of your time here. 

I think there's zero question about which of them is a better natural leader and cares more about this program. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:
2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Still and all, I am not sure the current or any past version of Ehlinger, even behind a rock-solid line, is capable of putting up those kind of numbers.  2,958yds/21TD/11INT.

Really? Because Ehlinger is on pace for 2,892/24 TD/8 INT so far this season. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Honestly I think if you were the starting QB in a fucking loss to Kansas you shouldn't put anything on but a headset for the rest of your time here. 

I think there's zero question about which of them is a better natural leader and cares more about this program. 

I think Shane cares, but Shane got royally fucked by Charlie & Co. his first year, which translated into him being quick to freeze up and take sacks instead of having any type of pocket presence. He could've been good if he was redshirted for a year, practiced behind someone competent in a real offense for another year or two. That's not what happened. He was thrown out there behind a cruddy O - Line as a true freshman.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zavala said:

I think Shane cares, but Shane got royally fucked by Charlie & Co. his first year, which translated into him being quick to freeze up and take sacks instead of having any type of pocket presence. He could've been good if he was redshirted for a year, practiced behind someone competent in a real offense for another year or two. That's not what happened. He was thrown out there behind a cruddy O - Line as a true freshman.

I think Shane cares too, but I think Ehlinger would literally take a non-lethal gunshot wound to win us a football game. It's been a long time since we've had a QB that puts everything on the line the way that Sam has at least tried to. I'm not sure Shane is ever going to be a 10 win quarterback. I think with a bit more experience Sam very well could be. 

• Like 3

Just re-watched the first series of the second half that resulted in the "Biscuit in a Basket" TD to Moore.  

Pass to LJH spinning out route from the inside ..prob more of a stop and faded outward......  caught

Hook/curl run by  LJH in between hashes dropped......hit him in the facemask

Hook/curl inside  by Duvernay on right hash....caught

WR screen to CJ on right outside cutting in, complete... targeting on USC

TD caught by Moore inside post deep...

Sam had no issue throwing inside in that series.....

Edited by HuntinHorn

30 minutes ago, Zavala said:

A cruddy OL that helped a lowly 3 star win the Doak Walker. Perkins and Hodges were decent OL and seniors, Williams was very good as a sophomore, while Vahe and Shackelford were blah. Beck has also been a very under-rated TE during his time here. He was missed last year.

9 minutes ago, HuntinHorn said:

Just re-watched the first series of the second half that resulted in the "Biscuit in a Basket" TD to Moore.  

Pass to LJH spinning out route from the inside ..prob more of a stop and faded outward......  caught

Hook/curl run by  LJH in between hashes dropped......hit him in the facemask

Hook/curl inside  by Duvernay on right hash....caught

WR screen to CJ on right outside cutting in, complete... targeting on USC

TD caught by Moore inside post deep...

Sam had no issue throwing inside in that series.....

Not to mention the 2 huge 3 down conversions to Beck on slants.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Not to mention the 2 huge 3 down conversions to Beck on slants.

Yes sir....

Last TD drive to reach 37 in 3rd. 

Slant to CJ...lined up on right...caught to get back a good chunk of yardage we needed for a first down

Slant to Beck....lined up on left....caught for a First down.

Three running plays later Sam scored a TD

Sam has no problem throwing inside there and was successful.  

Edited by HuntinHorn

32 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

A cruddy OL that helped a lowly 3 star win the Doak Walker. Perkins and Hodges were decent OL and seniors, Williams was very good as a sophomore, while Vahe and Shackelford were blah. Beck has also been a very under-rated TE during his time here. He was missed last year.

Can we agree run blocking and pass blocking are different and we haven’t had even decent pass blocking for a long time?

• Like 1

Last three series in the 4th  were mostly runs trying to eat up clock.

In those series there were the following pass attempts:

Go to CJ ...overthrown

Out to Heard ...underthrown with pressure

Throw away

Out to Moore from inside...on the mark but uncalled PI on the PBU by the DB

No inside passes in those 4 total attempts in three series, but running the ball was the name of the game here.

After rewatching, Sam was better than some of the Surly QB experts seem to remember IMO.  Maybe it was the beer and booze.

Edited by HuntinHorn
  • Like 2

I am Ok with coach giving Shane a year to get his PTSD under control and Sam reps in garbage time to learn how to control his. 

Love Shane but we know exactly what he can and can't do. Sam needs reps, most forget how little fb he played his SR year and how awful his OL & coaching were last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I really thought that all three TE's would be seeing more targets in this offense - but aside from the occasional Beck bailout on third down - they have been non-existant 

Yeah, i've been a bit surprised at the lack of tight end usage in this offense, though i have seen some great blocking from that position. Brewer had a great block on Sam's TD run.

Sophomore Sam is adequate. Adequate is good enough with the talent he has around him (if the coaches will continue to improve the play calling) to improve over last year's record, bolster recruiting, and keep the program on an upward trend.

And if you think there's a qb controversy this year? Just wait until Spring '19.

I am Ok with coach giving Shane a year to get his PTSD under control and Sam reps in garbage time to learn how to control his. 
Love Shane but we know exactly what he can and can't do. Sam needs reps, most forget how little fb he played his SR year and how awful his OL & coaching were last year.
He's getting the same coaching...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah, i've been a bit surprised at the lack of tight end usage in this offense, though i have seen some great blocking from that position. Brewer had a great block on Sam's TD run.

I think part of this is our inability to run a lot of plays. We struggle so much on first down and have so many three and outs it’s hard to get any rhythm and reps. It’s like we can’t figure out simple plays we execute at a high level to give confidence and set up favorable down and distance. 

The plays are called as if they still have no idea what exactly our bread and butter should be, hence the throw shit against the wall. I think they are still searching for something/anything they can do consistently and build play calls from there. 

Maybe they found some things this past week simply because we had the time of possession and ran way more plays. The power sweep with the QB seems like a play they can count on and build from. Hopefully it continues. 

-Sam-

as for the rewatch, it doesn’t do justice to how the majority of the game where we had one on one coverage with basically no safety help and we simply couldn’t abuse it. (Tv doesn’t show this well once the ball is snapped)

IMO it’s a reason we don’t see big runs. The opposing D doesn’t need to commit numbers over the top, and these guys are sitting on the next level clogging it up. 

2 hours ago, SKA the boss said:

Sophomore Sam is adequate. Adequate is good enough with the talent he has around him (if the coaches will continue to improve the play calling) to improve over last year's record, bolster recruiting, and keep the program on an upward trend.

And if you think there's a qb controversy this year? Just wait until Spring '19.

There won’t be any controversy. He’ll start for the next 2.75 years when healthy. 

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Don't be a dick. Shane got the shit beat out of him for our university as an injured 180lb true freshman. Nothing but respect for him. I say that as a Sam apologist as well.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

Don't be a dick. Shane got the shit beat out of him for our university as an injured 180lb true freshman. Nothing but respect for him. I say that as a Sam apologist as well.

I bet you and Jason Garrett would get along just great. 

*clap clap clap*