The Mule

Million Dollar Baby (never seen it)

The one before those:

Lords of Chaos

3/3 all good stuff.

Million Dollar Baby is rough though...

The Mule and Grand Torino are some of his best, non western's

Hiroshima, Mon Amour (1959)

Although I didn't really care for the last 20 minutes or so, I thought this was terrific.  I think I had previously tried to watch this and given up during the long introduction where you just see photos of the Hiroshima aftermath, but this time, stuck it out and the early scenes of the affair are very affecting, as is the backdrop of the woman's story.

Arty and a bit frustrating, I still thought it packed a nice emotional punch.

tumblr_pd56pvr8Yf1tv0ch1o1_500.png

Hiroshima mon amour has been described as "The Birth of a Nation of the French New Wave" by American critic Leonard Maltin.[5] New Wave filmmaker Jean-Luc Godard described the film's inventiveness as "Faulkner plus Stravinsky" and celebrated its originality, calling it "the first film without any cinematic references".[6] Filmmaker Eric Rohmer said, "I think that in a few years, in ten, twenty, or thirty years, we will know whether Hiroshima mon amour was the most important film since the war, the first modern film of sound cinema".[7]

22 hours ago, futureman said:

please elaborate 

I wish I was writing as I was watching.  Some things just seemed out of place, the mood was different than it maybe should have been.  The first interaction with the guys in the garage.  I didn't care for it.  The interaction(s) with his ex-wife at times.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

I wish I was writing as I was watching.  Some things just seemed out of place, the mood was different than it maybe should have been.  The first interaction with the guys in the garage.  I didn't care for it.  The interaction(s) with his ex-wife at times.  

I can see that

Raise Hell:The Life & Times of Molly Ivins.  I highly recommend this movie as it has some great archival footage of some of her best interviews along with stories told by her fellow journalists.  I still miss the days when she was on the Austin desk for the Star Telegram reporting the monkeys running the zoo when the legislature was in session.

The Big Heat (1953)

I love Glenn Ford -- I don't think anyone portrays nice guy going crazy inside better, but he just doesn't have the size and threat to carry this off.  Perfect for something like Blackboard Jungle -- but I just don't think he'd win more than 50% of his fisticuffs and I don't think he'd make Lee Marvin cower.

But a quibble because it's all fun.  Gloria Grahame has some smoke.

the-big-heat-1.jpg?w=300

Edited by tantric superman
  • Like 2

Guy that used to work for me - his g-father was Doc Roe.  Guy is a Plano PD officer now.  Walks into work one day wearing a Currahee shirt - rest was history.

So the actors are an amazing group.  They've coalesced around that film and the veterans like I've never seen before.  They always meet each year in Europe during the anniversary.  They are constantly attending services for the veterans, memorials, special occasions to bring attention and awareness to these great men.  All with zero fanfare for themselves.  His page is one of the reasons I cant' quit FB.  He's always posting pics of him with both the veterans and the actors, going through old battlegrounds, trenches, sites of historic battles, etc.  

Shameless book plug

Book Chris wrote:  "Doc Roe Publishing - How Easy Company became a Band of Brothers"

I can't tell you how many hours I spent picking his brain.  What was Winters like?  Was he really this amazing man (he was).  Was Guarnere really such a smart ass (he was).  What was it like to walk the hedgerows where they had their first engagement.  Or the fox holes surrounding Bastogne.  Simply amazing.  

Edited by BabaYaga

Pather Panchali (1955)

The first entry of Satyajit Ray's trilogy.  Once again, I can't believe how good some of the restorations have been since the turn of the century, and how terrible the prints were when I first tried to watch this (probably on VHS).

It's a pretty sad tale, but the relationship between Apu and his older sister is well done.  The biggest takeaway was the old aunt.  I have never seen a more decrepit human on screen.  But she had some good lines.

Getting old sucks, but getting old in a mean ass Indian village?  Yikes.

main-qimg-060cc8a30c2c1972a7618a2f6baa34

If you like the sitar, this one's for you.

Ready or Not.

A rare cinematic feat, actually -- a fairly formulaic dark comedy that manages to still be entertaining even though it is thoroughly predictable. You know exactly what's coming, but the gore, the camp, and the sentimentality are blended in an amicably humorous package. I can't think of any movie which ends with the heroine smoking a cigarette on the front steps of a burning building full of dead bad guys that I haven't enjoyed.

On 9/3/2019 at 12:28 PM, Buzzrock said:

Bohemian Rhapsody. The movie drags but the performance scenes are great.

Just a movie but disappointed the band members allowed the truth be distorted so much.  It’s not like they needed the money and just seems like they sold out.

Edited by Horn80

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

The Lady Eve (1941) 

Not sure I'm a Preston Sturges fan, the gags just keep going and going.  I've got Sullivan's Travels (1941) in the queue, so maybe that will tell me yea or nay.

Barbara Stanwyck had something going on. 

tumblr_lz7ffpdGbh1r23obqo1_500.gif

Always like to watch that one. Veronica Lake is nice to look at.

Palm Beach Story is in the queue.

Night and Fog (1956)

Alain Resnais 32 minute documentary of the Holocaust.  Typical terrifying imagery.  Very straightforward. 

The lack of obvious emotion is one of the first things to strike home. There's none of Claude Lanzmann’s potent silences or Steven Spielberg’s heightened pathos. With little over half an hour to play with, there isn’t time for either even if Resnais had wanted to include it. Night and Fog doesn’t dwell, nor does it rush. The format is simple. Archive footage works through the rise to power of the Nazis, the creation of the camps, and subsequent life within them. Camp society is sketched out from the hierarchies amongst prisoners to the distant brutality of the SS, killing and humiliating out of sheer boredom.

nightandfog.jpg