Cosby about to be sentenced

Moby Ric

17 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Was he taken into custody or is he still out pending appeal?

It appears that Mother (Is he really blind?) was taken into custody and bail denied while awaiting appeal.  

http://gothamist.com/2018/09/25/bill_cosby_sentence.php

Jugs and Speed did not testify at the sentencing.

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1

The sentence is significantly lighter than the possible maximum sentence for his crimes, each of which carry up to 10 years in prison, meaning he could have served a 30 year maximum sentence. However, District Attorney Kevin Steel asked O’Neill Monday to sentence Cosby, 81, to five to 10 years in state prison. However, Cosby’s defense team argued that even that would cause “excessive hardship” to the elderly star.

“What does an 81-year-old man do in prison?” attorney Joseph Green asked the court. “How does he fight off the people who are trying to extort him, or walk to the mess hall?"

Yeah, the bolded part makes me more than a little ragey.  Screw his hardship and inconveniences.

2 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

The sentence is significantly lighter than the possible maximum sentence for his crimes, each of which carry up to 10 years in prison, meaning he could have served a 30 year maximum sentence. However, District Attorney Kevin Steel asked O’Neill Monday to sentence Cosby, 81, to five to 10 years in state prison. However, Cosby’s defense team argued that even that would cause “excessive hardship” to the elderly star.

“What does an 81-year-old man do in prison?” attorney Joseph Green asked the court. “How does he fight off the people who are trying to extort him, or walk to the mess hall?"

Yeah, the bolded part makes me more than a little ragey.  Screw his hardship and inconveniences.

well. it makes me ragey for slightly different reasons. people in prison shouldn't have to worry about assault, extortion and butt rape.

but i realize i'm unique in that regard.

• Like 5

Just now, SHOOTER12 said:

checking meter, checking meter, test 1, 2, 3...

it wasn't sarcasm. i don't think our prisons should be dens of violence, drugs and/or extortion. i think we could do better if we gave a shit. 

we don't give a shit. i know that. 

and i think cosby deserved more time in prison. is it common to let people off easy because of advanced age? if he can't walk to the mess hall, wheel his ass there. 

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

well. it makes me ragey for slightly different reasons. people in prison shouldn't have to worry about assault, extortion and butt rape.

but i realize i'm unique in that regard.

No, I agree with that.  But I don't think that supports his attorney's position that Bill Cosby alone should be spared the hardships of prison.

54 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it wasn't sarcasm. i don't think our prisons should be dens of violence, drugs and/or extortion. i think we could do better if we gave a shit

we don't give a shit. i know that. 

and i think cosby deserved more time in prison. is it common to let people off easy because of advanced age? if he can't walk to the mess hall, wheel his ass there. 

I would love to hear a viable plan on how you keep tens of thousands of people with criminal mentalities all incarcerated in close quarters without some reverting to criminal ways.   Lots of shock therapy maybe?  Drug them all up until everybody's a slobbering zombie?

3 minutes ago, DigDug said:

I would love to hear a viable plan on how you keep tens of thousands of people with criminal mentalities all incarcerated in close quarters without some reverting to criminal ways.   Lots of shock therapy maybe?  Drug them all up until everybody's a slobbering zombie?

Chemical castration and chastity belts

1 minute ago, Bernard said:

I’ve never understood a range of sentence. Is it 3 or 10?

Bernard

It is apparently a thing in Pennsylvania.  He has to do 80% of the 3 years.  Then the prison, through a series of formulas and such will determine if he is to be let out, or needs to stay longer up to a maximum of 10 years.

51 minutes ago, DigDug said:

well, for one, i don't have a complete answer, but i would start with a few items:

1) acknowledge that our prisons are a problem, have a security problem, and are havens for violence and corruption

2) acknowledge that we put people in prison who do not belong there, ie, non-violent drug offenders, etc.

3) acknowledge that, following point 1, a big part of that problem comes from lack of resource for the officers that guard the place. 

4) stratify the prison system a lot more stringently. if you go to max security, you actually get, i dunno, max security. alternately, if you embezzled some shit, you shouldn't be in huntsville with the rapists and murderers.

5) following point 4, understand that the current approach isn't working. allowing gangs to gather is problematic. either, allow the gangs to gather, and segregate one gang from another to reduce conflict, or do not allow the gangs to gather, split them up and eliminate the chaotic "prison yard" type environment. 

6) eliminate private prisons, which are a race to the bottom on costs, and a race to the top on capacity, which is a terrible mix.

really, the first steps are acknowledging the problem, i think. i'm open to other ideas. 

i just get sad when someone is sentenced to prison and the mob rejoices with a loud, celebratory "enjoy getting buttfucked asshole!" 

we should do better.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

makes me a little sad watching that.

Yeah, me too.  But the whole fucking thing makes me very sad.  

It's sad to see one of the most iconic, respected men of my youth led off to prison in tears.

It was more sad to learn what one of the most iconic, respected men of my youth did to other people for years and years and years.  

Just sad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, XYZ said:

There is no sarcasm meter to check. He’s right. Prison should be “prison”, not “prison plus you also get the shit beat out of you and sodomized”.

I don't think Shooter was checking his "sarcasm meter" with his post, but his "give a shit meter".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:

I don't get why he wouldn't just leave the country. I'm sure there are plenty places he could have lived comfortably with his money

81? Fuck going to jail. Too late to start giving a damn.

Just because a country doesn’t have an extradition treaty with the US doesn’t mean they won’t send you back to the US.   But who knows, perhaps he thought he wouldn’t be found guilty or sentenced.