2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

6 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Urquidy, man.  He just doesn't care.  He pounds the strike zone and is fearless.

Brantley hit 5 fucking rockets today.  Bregman has hit the ball hard the past 2 games.

If we can get Springer going...boom.

This made the transition directly from Urquidy to James particularly painful.

It was like going from first class on Air France to Greyhound economy. 

• Like 1

mike trout will probably win the al mvp.
bregman just hit a grand slam on the road in the world series.  if we somehow win, he's probably 1-2 big hits away from winning the ws mvp.
trout can have it.
If they win, there is no way Altuve doesn't get the mvp assuming he doesnt have 15 strikeouts the next 3 games.

1 minute ago, DCA_HORN said:
45 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:
mike trout will probably win the al mvp.
bregman just hit a grand slam on the road in the world series.  if we somehow win, he's probably 1-2 big hits away from winning the ws mvp.
trout can have it.

If they win, there is no way Altuve doesn't get the mvp assuming he doesnt have 15 strikeouts the next 3 games.

it's possible.  bregman has 2hr and 7rbi.

if we win and he ends up with 4hr and 12rbi, you think tuve still wins it without a homer?

these are all hypotheticals, because we won't win, but it's fun to talk about.

• Like 1

it's possible.  bregman has 2hr and 7rbi.
if we win and he ends up with 4hr and 12rbi, you think tuve still wins it without a homer?
these are all hypotheticals, because we won't win, but it's fun to talk about.
Jose has been the glue holding this team together. Brantley to a slightly lesser extent. The only reason Altuve doesn't have more RBIs is because no one is on base when he's been up for most of the series.
  • Like 1

Glad that players meeting happened. Just wish it was held before the WS. Finally got out of that hole.

From the interviews I have seen w Reddick and Chirinos after game 3, the player meeting summary was for everyone to stop trying to do too much and remember they won 107 games. They both said they all need to stop trying to hit a hr and “impress the fans”.., just string along hits and let the next guy continue it like they did all season. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just a great all-around game. Was not happy at all with the move to James, but we survived him. I literally love Will Harris. 

Might sound greedy, but I think we still really need more from Springer and Correa. If the next two Nats starters are on their game, we’ll need all the firepower we can possibly muster. That includes Yuli, of course, but right now I’m just ecstatic with the contributions he’s been making on D. 

8 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I am still amazed by Urquidy’s performance tonight. As the announcers correctly mentioned, Urquidy was in command of the game in a way none of the aces on either team were able to match. That was one of the all-time most clutch performances in Houston sports history, especially coming from a rookie. He lifted the team’s spirits and we are back now. He has earned the Charlie Morton honorific of “fucking” as his middle name. He is Jose Fucking Urquidy now.

JFU it is, then...

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Just a great all-around game. Was not happy at all with the move to James, but we survived him. I literally love Will Harris. 

Might sound greedy, but I think we still really need more from Springer and Correa. If the next two Nats starters are on their game, we’ll need all the firepower we can possibly muster. That includes Yuli, of course, but right now I’m just ecstatic with the contributions he’s been making on D. 

Correa had the HUGE catch, so I don't want to ignore his critical contribution to the win...

However, motherfucker needs to stop batting like Bob Ross at the plate.

• Like 1

Someone explain to me why Hinch pulled Urquidy when he did for Josh James.  He was probably good for 2 more innings and we wouldn't have had to use Harris.  I do not understand his love affair with Josh James.  It's nice that he throws 98, but he has no idea where it's going.

• Like 1

I thought he pulled Urquidy early too, but that's what MLB managers do.  He had an extremely low pitch count and was absolutely in the zone.  The move damned near cost the Astros the game and the win was most definitely NOT because of AJ's decisions.

Oh well, it takes the whole cast of characters to make the team work.  AJ needs to get his shit straight though.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I thought he pulled Urquidy early too, but that's what MLB managers do.  He had an extremely low pitch count and was absolutely in the zone.  The move damned near cost the Astros the game and the win was most definitely NOT because of AJ's decisions.

Oh well, it takes the whole cast of characters to make the team work.  AJ needs to get his shit straight though.

This is a bad take. Anyone who bitches about AJ’s handle on this team is an idiot - sorry. He’s an enormous reason this team is where it has been the last 3 seasons. 

Chirinos clearly signaled to the dugout that Urquidy was done. Watch the at-bat with one out (I think) in the 5th. He signals to the dugout in the middle of the at-bat, and once the count got to 3-2 he put the same sign down about 4 times until Urquidy finally agreed to throw a fastball. 

To bitch about AJ’s handling of his pitchers is silly. Give the man the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 3

All that being said, James scares the shit out of me and I’m glad he has a short hook. But back to my point, I did not think he was the right guy to come in to face Zimmerman with runners on 2nd and 3rd on Friday night, but I’ll be damned if he didn’t have the biggest K of the night on a nasty changeuo. 

17 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

This is a bad take. Anyone who bitches about AJ’s handle on this team is an idiot - sorry. He’s an enormous reason this team is where it has been the last 3 seasons. 

Chirinos clearly signaled to the dugout that Urquidy was done. Watch the at-bat with one out (I think) in the 5th. He signals to the dugout in the middle of the at-bat, and once the count got to 3-2 he put the same sign down about 4 times until Urquidy finally agreed to throw a fastball. 

To bitch about AJ’s handling of his pitchers is silly. Give the man the benefit of the doubt. 

The pitchers constantly fight with Chirinos on the calls.  He doesn't call a great game.  Sometimes they look like they want to go stomp his ass.  Urquidy also doesn't remotely have the pull in this exchange like a Cole or JV does.

Pulling Urquidy for James was bailed out by Bregman's 'uncharacteristic for the playoffs Grand Salami.  The Nats were a foot away on a bloop hit from changing the complexion of the game, due to the pitching change.

I'll just say this-  I hate fucking walks by pitchers in high leverage situations.  James was doing it.  The whole thing was unnecessary.

By questioning AJ's decision in this particular instance, it's hardly saying he sucks as a manager.  

Edited by Iceman

Hinch may have pulled Urquidy too early but then again perhaps the Nats score 5 if he stays in, completely changing the outcome. Then everyone is second guessing hinch for not pulling him sooner.

as far as I’m concerned managing a 8-1 victory in game 4 of the WS is about as good as it gets. Perfect isn’t the objective.

on the players meeting, Richard Justice is reporting it was Altuve and verlander walking for 30 seconds telling everyone to keep their heads up. Not exactly how others describe it.

4 minutes ago, Player said:

JFC Slorch, stop acting like you’re Sparky fucking Anderson.

It’s only been a year since you were openly wondering why the batter wasn’t awarded first base on a balk.

So we should lock the fucking thread then, right?  No baseball talking or discussion. No dumb question ever.

Who the fuck are YOU, dude? Joe Buck?   Make a point or whatever, but what I said is a valid opinion.  

Edited by Iceman

Just now, Player said:

My point is that you’re an idiot who should shut the fuck up and simply try to enjoy the game.

Whatever dude. Let's just all sit here and not talk.  It's what message boards are for.

Oh, and you still haven't said anything relative to the points I made.  You're just taking shots.  Go fuck yourself.

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

The pitchers constantly fight with Chirinos on the calls.  He doesn't call a great game.  Sometimes they look like they want to go stomp his ass.  

Not sure how this fits with the multiple stories that have been written about how Chirinos and JV have fit together so well that for the first time in his career, JV has a personal catcher.

Not to mention the fact that AJ Hinch, the former catcher who has always been against the idea of personal catchers, is also on board with Chirinos as JV's personal catcher. 

12 minutes ago, Jebus said:

So does AJ pull the trigger and start Alvarez in LF? I’m on the fence with it. Cole on the bump will probably limit his chances but he is a real liability in the field. It’s a small sample size but Reddick is 5/11 lifetime vs Scherzer. Offense will be slightly downgraded already with Maldonado behind the dish. 

Edited by TonyTexas

Cole will probably win tonight, but I don't see good things for Game 6 and JV. Game 7 at home for it all.

This is where I am.
...Unless the offense steps up big time in game 6.

JV has not been good in close out games as an Astro
2017 WS Game 6
2019 LDS Game 4
2019 LCS Game 5
All Ls
Even Game 5 of the 2018 LCS to extend the season. L

I’ll gladly take breaking that streak though.

So does AJ pull the trigger and start Alvarez in LF? I’m on the fence with it. Cole on the bump will probably limit his chances but he is a real liability in the field. It’s a small sample size but Reddick is 5/11 lifetime vs Scherzer. Offense will be slightly downgraded already with Maldonado behind the dish. 

Seemed a given that Alvarez would start game 5 given Hinch’s comments on the off day going back to DC, but with the offense coming alive and two wins, I say if it ain’t broke....

But, good point about losing production at the catcher spot.
And most recent history, Alvarez walk, single off Scherzer in game 1
Reddick, two flyball outs.

Tough call. For the first two games in DC it was easier..Hinch decided it wasn’t worth giving up the defense for 5 or so innings to get two ABs out of Alvarez before the SP would likely be taken out and you could start pinch hitting/ double-switching to get Yordan an AB.
With Cole and the possibility of him going deeper, that may change the decision process

I'd like to see Alvarez start.  He's definitely starting Game 6 and possibly a Game 7.  He needs some live AB's to keep sharp after he started the series well.  And as I mentioned yesterday, his defensive liability is minimized by a starter who gets half his outs via strikeout.

Plus, the big guy's going yard tonight.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

This is where I am.
...Unless the offense steps up big time in game 6.

JV has not been good in close out games as an Astro
2017 WS Game 6
2019 LDS Game 4
2019 LCS Game 5
All Ls
Even Game 5 of the 2018 LCS to extend the season. L

I’ll gladly take breaking that streak though.

JV was strong in the 2017 ALCS game 6 which was an elimination game for the Astros. 7 innings no runs. I think elimination games are tougher than series close out.