2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Someone explain to me why Hinch pulled Urquidy when he did for Josh James.  He was probably good for 2 more innings and we wouldn't have had to use Harris.  I do not understand his love affair with Josh James.  It's nice that he throws 98, but he has no idea where it's going.

Urquidy told charinos he was done. Charinos told Hinch. Watch the dugout video 

Edited by tx 3 putt

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I don’t know if that’s accurate but completely bad ass if so.  Too many pitchers want to muscle through or man-up to the detriment of the team.  Nothing wrong with admitting you’re done and handing off the next man up. 

I wonder what made Urquidy think he was done?? He was pitching pretty damn well and hadn't even thrown 70 pitches yet.  At any rate, he gave them exactly what they needed last night.  Now hopefully Cole will pitch to his standard and Correa can get going.  Maybe the walks he took last night will help.  I'd love to see him hit a pitch to right center.  Hitting the ball the other way always seems to get players going again. 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t know if that’s accurate but completely bad ass if so.  Too many pitchers want to muscle through or man-up to the detriment of the team.  Nothing wrong with admitting you’re done and handing off the next man up. 

37 minutes ago, Hate said:

I wonder what made Urquidy think he was done?? He was pitching pretty damn well and hadn't even thrown 70 pitches yet.  At any rate, he gave them exactly what they needed last night.  Now hopefully Cole will pitch to his standard and Correa can get going.  Maybe the walks he took last night will help.  I'd love to see him hit a pitch to right center.  Hitting the ball the other way always seems to get players going again. 

Hopefully he just felt like he was done for the night and not actually hurting in a way that would affect his future availability.  Didn’t seem like it watching him in the dugout.  There’s definitely something about setting aside your ego and passing the baton that seems like a rare quality, particularly in a starting pitcher.

It’s obviously easier to feel good about it since it worked out, but it’s also potentially helpful that he only went through the lineup twice, so getting out when he did has potential benefits of not letting the nationals hitters get another look at him, as well as keeping him fresher for an all hands on deck situation in game 6 and/or 7.

5 hours ago, Iceman said:

I thought he pulled Urquidy early too, but that's what MLB managers do.  He had an extremely low pitch count and was absolutely in the zone.  The move damned near cost the Astros the game and the win was most definitely NOT because of AJ's decisions.

Damn near cost us the win in an 8-1 game?  Interesting take.

33 minutes ago, WBT said:

Damn near cost us the win in an 8-1 game?  Interesting take.

It was 4-0 after the 5th when Urquidy retired for the evening.

The bases were loaded at one point in the bottom of the 6th, with a run scoring, leaving 2 on until  Correa made the fantastic catch on a deep bloop hit to prevent more damage and ending the inning.

Did you watch the game?  It was absolutely a precarious position with regard to the outcome being in doubt.

Edited by Iceman

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Part of the game. Sometimes it’s the break you need 

Well, obviously things do happen. But I'd much rather they sideline a guy who wasn't likely to get into the game for either team anyway. I love winning, but not because the other team caught a bad break with a star player's health. 

All that said, we still could lose. Have to show up and win, no matter who's out there.

30 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Well, obviously things do happen. But I'd much rather they sideline a guy who wasn't likely to get into the game for either team anyway. I love winning, but not because the other team caught a bad break with a star player's health. 

All that said, we still could lose. Have to show up and win, no matter who's out there.

Yeah the nats are going to be in full backs to the wall survival mode.  If they lose they’ll be able to tell themselves they still have Strasburg in game 6 and Scherzer in game 7, and if they win it will really fire them up and possibly demoralize the Astros that they couldn’t win against an emergency starter with Cole on the mound.  

I guess what I’m saying is that this is the biggest game of the season.