Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

I know it don't make a shit, but I'm curious.... In the 247 team rankings, Georgia is 5 and we are 6. Yet we have more total recruits than Georgia (17 to their 16) and a higher average (93.34 to their 93.28). Can anyone explain why/how Georgia is ranked higher?

The formula for the composite weights the highest ranked recruits more heavily than those that are lower ranked.  The top ranked recruit for each school has the greatest weighting, the 2nd ranked slightly less and so on.  So Texas may have a higher average rating but Georgia has 3 commits rated as 5-stars.  @Huckleberry had a full explanation on the old board but that thread is probably covered in crap by now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Some smoke around Josh White and IT or TFB referenced Orlando being all over Flowe still. They don’t feel like that door has completely closed.

Ha. If Texas makes a serious play for Flowe, ratchet up the expectations on Ringo as well. Hell, we’re landing players with “uncle” handling the recruitment and Ro Simon being involved, so maybe all bets are well and truly off. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There’s diminishing returns in the algorithm if you stack a position, and other similar manipulations to try to account for a balanced vs unbalanced class, or a very top heavy class. 

It’s not just the sum of the individual player ratings. 

This isn’t right. 247’s formula doesn’t take into account recruits’ positions or balanced vs. unbalanced classes. It’s a weighting formula based solely on players’ ratings (not positions), where the more recruits you have, the less the lower-ranked guys count towards your score. So, a class with more 5 stars will usually be ranked higher than a class with more players around the class’s average, even if the second team’s average is higher.

247 has an explanation on their national class ranking page, but it won’t copy on my phone. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Ha. If Texas makes a serious play for Flowe, ratchet up the expectations on Ringo as well. Hell, we’re landing players with “uncle” handling the recruitment and Ro Simon being involved, so maybe all bets are well and truly off. 

Don’t fucking tease us with the insinuation that the threat of uncle red and F-250s may finally be real.

1 hour ago, Mikey4 said:

I know it don't make a shit, but I'm curious.... In the 247 team rankings, Georgia is 5 and we are 6. Yet we have more total recruits than Georgia (17 to their 16) and a higher average (93.34 to their 93.28). Can anyone explain why/how Georgia is ranked higher?

Fromm's mom has got it goin' on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Can confirm. I'm at her house right now and so far, I'm having a really great time. 

Glad to hear it. I knew from the mood I left her in that the next guy was in for a treat.

Edit to add: User name checks out.

Edited by Wishbone

There’s something that’s being kept secret about LB recruiting. CTJ said the staff has a plan at LB, whether it be a flippable candidate or grad transfer (probably both). IT on their podcast the other day mentioned Josh White at one point, then one of them said Texas has a decent shot to flip him. It shouldn’t be surprising to see more come about his recruitment come September. 

It just occurred to me that next season the most maligned coaches on the staff outside of possibly Warehime are going to have fully stocked rooms full of ballers, and even Warehime has a great ‘21 TE committed.

Giles: Coburn, Ojomo, Sweat, Graham, Warren, Bimage, Broughton, Princely, Fillinger, etc

Meh: Eagles, Epps, Washington, Smith, Moore(?), Lewis, Woodard, Pouncey, Q Johnson, etc

Drayton: Ingram, Whittington, Robinson, Young, 2020 RB2, ... Brown (??)

Warehime: Brewer, Leitao, Wiley, Liebrock, Hullaby(?)

Beck: Sam(?), Thompson, Johnson, Card, JQJ, 

Hard to get fired with those kinds of players.

Edited by Vertigo