Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

56 minutes ago, futureman said:

well, glen, I’m glad you brought it up.  pro rugby produces some elite athletes that would definitely excel right away on special teams in the NFL.  the fullback position in rugby requires speed and athleticism and they field high kicks on the run constantly during gameplay.  letting them return kicks and punts would be fairly easy for them.  now, it would take a while for them to learn offensive plays, and even longer still to learn how to diagnose offensive plays from the defensive side of the ball.  I think it would be beneficial to try and find some of the plus athletes in rugby countries when they are still young, perhaps in high school, and convince them to come over and learn the american game with the incentive that they could make considerably more money in the NFL than they would playing rugby in europe or the southern hemisphere.  it’s an exciting time in sports and football will do itself a great service by expanding scouting operations to other parts of the globe.  

I love this shit and I appreciate your mutual interest in it, glen, and I appreciate that you love to bring it up.  +rep

They already do, you dumb fuck.  They’re called punters.

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

EJ is claiming on the twatter that he had DeMarvin Leal as a 5* before anyone, and is now claiming he had Broughton as a 5* before anyone else

This fucking guy 

To be fair, he was defending himself against an Aggie fan that thought it was ridiculous to suggest Broughton was on the same level as Leal.  EJ said he liked Leal a lot, but he also likes Broughton.

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The measurables on Jason Harris are accurate. He's every bit of 6'7'' 220. 

It's possible he grows out of football. I'd imagine if he shoots up over 6'9'', he's basketball all the way. 

He’s basketball all the way either way. Good luck to him though. 

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He’s a bit of a luddite, so he writes me letters. His calligraphy is quite advanced and something to behold. Anyway, in our last correspondence, he wrote that the physical rigors of the gridiron at the CFB level were quite concerning. 

Write him yourself and post about it here if you find something to contradict what he’s telling me.  

đŸ€Ł

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He’s a bit of a luddite, so he writes me letters. His calligraphy is quite advanced and something to behold. Anyway, in our last correspondence, he wrote that the physical rigors of the gridiron at the CFB level were quite concerning. 

Write him yourself and post about it here if you find something to contradict what he’s telling me.  

so he never said it, nobody ever said it, and you’re guessing.  I respect that. 

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

a) who's the media guy with a UT hoodie? That feels conflict-of-interesty. EDIT: Apparently it's Ro Simon. Not sure why he has a media pass, and can't believe he's wearing Nike.

b) Jesus Christ, Demetric. A salad wouldn't kill ya, bud.

That's actually Branard Wright /katfid

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Justin Wells: Saturdays From DKR - Junior Day Notes

Reveal hidden contents

Texas did themselves a solid when they held Elite Day last month, hosting some of the state's best for 2020. They outdid themselves with another righteous crop of prospects rolling through the first evening of Junior Day Weekend. With Texas-exes BJ Johnson and Priest Holmes stopping by, and adding a Mookie to the class was icing on the cake.

Here's some quick hitters from a busy day on the 40 Acres.

- New Offers. Texas handed out four yesterday - Joshua Eaton, Ja'Tavion Sanders, Cody Jackson, and JJ Hester. Eaton was the most excited. The 6-foot-2 corner from Aldine MacArthur was overwhelmed when coach Washington extended him an offer. It's still early, but it put UT squarely in the driver's seat for his services. After UT coaches stopped by Denton Ryan last month, they loved what they saw in the 2021 DE, Sanders. All he had to do then was make the trip to Austin, and he did. Texas joined OU, Notre Dame, and others to offer the promising edge rusher. Jackson and Hester are both really good looking receivers who picked up offers too.

Jackson, 2021 from Richmond Foster, has elite potential to go with a good frame. Hearing OU has the early lead but it's still really early. Hester, 6-foot-3, 175, is a four-star wideout from Tulsa (OK), who holds 15 offers, including Georgia. Hester is interested in the Texas program and eager to see what all the buzz is about from below the Red River. He'd like to be back soon for the Spring game.

- 2021 Quarterbacks. With Hudson Card firmly entrenched as UT's 2020 signal-caller, the staff can now slightly shift to identifying the QB for the next class. Preston Stone (6-foot-2) is the clear-cut guy on the big board and Herman and Beck have done a tremendous job here. Texas made a great impression on Preston and his mother, but they weren't surprised. He doesn't have a decision timeline, he'll cut down his list of top schools soon, just know if he committed to Texas, you shouldn't be surprised either. JJ McCarthy made the long trip from Illinois and really liked what he saw. Really good, personable kid wanted to see weather outside of Chicago. He thoroughly enjoyed hanging out with Tim Beck and asking Sam Ehlinger and Roschon Johnson questions.

- Tidbits. Mookie Cooper said he came into this weekend with the idea of committing to Texas. That seed was actually planted last summer when Cooper took an unofficial to Austin he'll never forget. It was after that trip he'd told Marcus Washington (teammate and Texas signee) that he had to see Texas. So Washington took his advice, watched the Horns spank USC during his official, and fell in burnt orange love. When Marcus boarded the plane with Teryion, he was doing more than hanging with Mr. Cooper. He was making sure their long-term vision of becoming Longhorns was complete.

Higley (AZ) native Jason Harris and his family arrived late Friday and couldn't stop smiling after a day on campus. Harris is every bit of 6-foot-7, and basketball might on the table for the edge-rushing end. In hoops, Arizona, UCLA, and Arizona State have all offered. He didn't speak to Shaka Smart - he was beating Oklahoma State - but whatever sport he chooses, they'll be getting a plus+ level athlete with tons of potential.

Robert Wooten, of the Stafford Wootens, is good-looking prospect at 6-foot-3, 233. Texas likes him at B-Backer and his film proves he'd be up to the task. If UT decides to offer, this recruitment won't take long.

Tunmise Adeleye keeps growing. The 6-foot-4, 260-pound defensive linemen from Katy Tompkins looks like a grown-ass man. He's still a sophomore, btw. He's frequented Austin over the last nine months and has really started bonding with the players and coaches. He's a must-get in 2021.

Princely Umanmielen is another promising defensive line prospect that continues to show up in Austin. Living in Manor has its privileges. This is looking to be a Texas-Oklahoma battle for the 6-foot-4, 250-pounder from down the road. After yesterday, I'd give the Horns the slight edge. He'll attend the spring game in April.

Texas likes Myles Slusher (Broken Arrow, OK) at safety, like most schools. Nickel isn't out of the question for the UT offer either. Alabama, Oklahoma State, and LSU have offered the DB prospect, but Slusher admits UT has his interest.

Shadow Creek's Xavion Alford loved going in-depth with coach Naivar and the staff about how'd he be used in Austin. The fact that Orlando plays with six DBs at once really has his attention. LSU and A&M are the other two programs pushing hard for Alford's services. Probably for his versatility - he can play corner, nickel, or safety, in a pinch. No decision timeline here.

Kitan Crawfordï»żï»żï»ż, the John Tyler athlete offered last week, made the trip and couldn't have been happier. At 6-foot-1, 190, the multi-sport star has been flying under the radar recently but that could change. UT likes him at corner and he's perfectly fine with that. "I'm a football player," said Crawford. "I'll play anywhere." He'll be big in the spring.

Tommy Brockermeyer is just unfair. He's one of the best 6-foot-6, 280-pound prospects I've ever seen. The Fort Worth All Saints product is still a sophomore. His older brother walked-on at Texas last fall, and despite the chance he'll be offered by every major program in America, the Longhorn legacy loves Texas, Herb Hand, and everything they have to offer.

Willowridge's Latrell Neville is noticeably larger. We me him last summer at the pool party event when he was barely 6-foot-1. Now, at 6-foot-3, 180, I see why half the country has offered the 2021 prospect. Good news; this kid loves Texas. Better news; he'll be back for the spring game. Ohio State and LSU are pushing.

Last, we met the kid from Texas High, whose Hudl I keep posting. Clayton Smith exceeded expectations at 6-foot-4, 215-220. This kid is a specimen. Texas went into detail about how they'd use the sophomore in its defensive scheme - B backer. He was thrilled. He'll be back. 

They'll host a handful of prospects today - Jahari Rogers, Landon Jackson, Savion Byrd - and wrap up o-line targets RJ Proctor and Willie Tyler's official visits this afternoon. We'll have much more over the next few days.

Article says Kitan Crawford is 6-1, 190. His 247 profile says 5-10, 170. That's a big difference. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Kitan-Crawford-46056950/

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He’s basketball all the way either way. Good luck to him though. 

There’s another 6’7” kid out of Grandview in the 2021 class who’s kind of in the same boat. He’s playing DE and some TE/WR. Caught the last TD in the state title game. I work with his dad. His last name is Crownover. Not sure how hard we’re looking at him, but he already has a few offers. Okie light is the most recent I can think of. He loves football first, but he’s 6’7” as a sophomore and his grandfather is 7’. Hard to play football at that height. Daddy was a DT at Baylor in the early 90s, I think. 

SIAP

IT: BOOM! Garth commits to Texas

And the hits keep coming.

After netting Roschon Johnson from Port Neches-Groves in the 2019 class, Tom Herman decided to prioritize one of his class of 2020 teammates.

The 6-foot-4, 280-pound OL wanted to continue to block for his quarterback after paving the way for Johnson to put huge numbers up at PNG, He'll have an opportunity to do that in college as Garth committed to the Longhorns today.

How he fits at Texas: Garth has been a highly effective tackle in a power-based spread offense to this point. He regularly climbs up to LBs and protects the backside of plays with quickness. Between that, the PN-G QB stretch game, and his protection, he’s got a lot on film to suggest he’ll stick at tackle despite being “only” 6-4. His kick step game is already strong with a year to go and that's after he missed much of his junior year. Garth is also very strong at combo blocks and picking up late-coming edge rushers. He has the overall athleticism and skill to translate easily to Texas' inside zone scheme potentially at RT or even LT. If he ends up inside it’ll be more likely a win for Texas than a consolation prize because his skill and athleticism is high. - Ian Boyd

Eric Nahlin on Jaylen Garth: There wasn't going to be a better measuring stick to gauge Jaylen Garth than watching him versus 2019 Texas signee T'Vondre Sweat, so Port Neches-Groves versus Huntsville was one I had to catch this past season.

Going in I figured Garth would handle Sweat's quickness but struggle some with his power. That held for the most part, as Garth's feet and agility were more than up to the task. Though Sweat held the power advantage, Garth was game and aggressive. It was great watching what I assumed at the time were two future teammates.

That prediction looks to be holding as Garth gave the Tom Herman staff its third commitment from an offensive lineman in the class. Like the staff landing its preferred defensive back class in 2018, the 2020 o-line dream is still alive with Garth joining Logan Parr and Jake Majors, and the staff still in the middle of things for Chad Lindberg and Damieon George. There could even be a sixth wildcard take down the road.

Texas always looked good in this recruitment. It didn't hurt that Herman signed Port Neches-Groves quarterback Roschon Johnson in the 2019 class. Another positive sign in this recruitment was how his offer came about. Invited to hang out at A&M or camp and earn an offer from UT, Garth elected to put his cleats on and go to work. He seems to be no stranger to work as he has developed a lot physically in a relatively short window.

Garth gives Herb Hand another moldable offensive tackle to work with. He comes complete with the raw essentials of athleticism, bend, and length. Programs are always looking for tackles and Texas just found a good one.

Garth is the fifth member of Texas' 2020 class joining Mookie Cooper (Trinity Catholic - MO), Jake Majors (Prosper) Logan Parr (Helotes O'Connor), and Hudson Card (Lake Travis).

http://insidetexas.com/garth-chooses-the-longhorns/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Who will be the next to pull the trigger?

Bryson Washington or Joshua Eaton wouldn't be terribly shocking, and would start off the defensive side of the ball.

Quentin Johnston is so quiet, it's hard to tell, but he might be the sort to just get recruiting over with.

Edited by texifornia

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Bryson Washington or Joshua Eaton wouldn't be terribly shocking, and would start off the defensive side of the ball.

Quentin Johnston is so quiet, it's hard to tell, but he might be the sort to just get recruiting over with.

I don't think Washington is in any hurry to decide.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/02/open-post-monday-february-18th/

Texas Offers 2020 CB Joshua Eaton
– Super K

2020 CB, Joshua Eaton (MacArthur) has seen his recruitment explode as of late picking up offers from Virginia Tech, Texas Tech, Florida, Oklahoma and others.

He can now saw he has a Texas offer. Cool video here of coach Jason Washington offering Eaton.

Eaton is one of my favorite cornerbacks in this class. He has track speed, great length and height and he plays both ways.

He’s also a multi-sport guy. I was at his basketball not too long ago and threw down a dunk for me after the game

Look for Eaton to continue to pick up offers. I fully expect him to be one of the more highly coveted and ranked cornerbacks in this class.

Junior Days Notes |Mookie, Washington, Crawford, Eaton, Harris
– Will Baizer

2020 ATH Mookie Cooper (Trinity Catholic – St. Louis, MO) TEXAS

We caught up with brand new commit ATH Mookie Cooper, as he spoke to the media for the first time since officially committing to Texas. Apparently, what flipped the switch for Mookie Cooper was the consistency of the feeling he got here in Austin, “Just coming up here again and being up here again, every time I come up here I just feel the love even more. Then I was just like I want to get it over with why not just do it today.”

It’s been no secret that Cooper has had an affection for the Longhorns, and many had an idea that he may commit. Apparently, so did Cooper, “I had the idea. I told Marcus [Washington] that I might (commit) and when I got here, I just went on and made it happen.”

As we stated in the commitment story, Bryan Carrington is a big reason that St. Louis pipeline is so wide open for Texas, so it seemed only fair that he was one of the first to celebrate the commitment with Cooper, “I told Carrington first, Coach Herman had just got in. I told [Carrington] last night. I think Coach Herman already had the idea today. He was asking me and I was just smiling really hard. I just told him, and he was like ‘yeahhhh’ and was excited.”

Now that the commitment is off his chest Cooper seems visibly relieved, “I’m calm, some coaches took it a certain way. I feel like I don’t have to react to any of it anymore. It happened. It’s my decision, and I’m happy with it. I’m just good. My mom’s happy and everybody else is happy.”

Cooper has now turned his attention toward helping fill up the class with other top-end talent focusing on Ja’Quinden Jackson and Michael Henderson: “Mikey, we just became cool, he knows Marcus and then had met me and we just clicked after that. Ja’Quinden, he was at the Future 50 with me so he threw a couple balls to me.”

Mookie Cooper is now the third St. Louis player in three classes for the Longhorns (I’m pretty happy with that trend). Having those St. Louis guys down in Austin gave Cooper a bit of ease of mind before committing, “They helped out because I wouldn’t be up here by myself. You might feel some type of way going to a far place all alone, but it helped in the situation knowing I got somebody already up here that I can be close with. So yeah it played a good role in it.”

The Longhorn coaches are expecting Cooper to play their H-back position when he gets to campus. As he put it he sees himself as, “The slot receiver, they call it the H-back, he can play as a slot but can also get some motion and get some jets going to the backfield sometime. More of just like a back that can run routes too so yeah I feel like I can fit perfectly in it, have a good time doing it.”

And Longhorn fans will get a kick out of who he compares himself to. Former Longhorn commit, Rondale Moore, “Because he is very explosive, and he is one of the more smaller guys. You know people might feel small guys can’t do things, but he is very explosive and makes big plays happen.”

Unfortunately, Cooper still hasn’t decided if he will completely shut down his recruitment, “Actually, I haven’t talked to the coaches about that yet. I have no idea. As of right now, I don’t know.. I don’t honestly know the answer to that question.”

2020 CB Kitan Crawford (John Tyler – Tyler, TX)

The newly offered 6’0 190-pound cornerback out of John Tyler high school in East Texas, made his first trip to Texas this weekend as well, “Coming on the campus I really didn’t know anything about it. Now that I got onto campus, it’s really interesting, and I want to come back some more.”

According to him, he’s been a Longhorn fan for a while and the offer, “It meant a lot to me. It’s a dream come true.” But it wasn’t the glam of the visit that got Crawford. The part that stuck out to him was hanging out with Jason Washington, “Talking to the DB coach and getting to know him. Watching the film and seeing how the coach act.”

We’ll be expecting Crawford back on campus later on in March for Spring practices.

2020 S Bryson Washington (C.E. King – Houston, TX)

2020 safety, Bryson Washington, is one of Texas top safety prospects in the state along with Chris Thompson Jr. Texas has pitched Bryson Washington at the Joker and deep safety position. In other words the staff can see Washington being like BJ Foster, patrolling the box, or like Caden Sterns patrolling the deep space.

This isn’t Bryson’s first visit to Texas (maybe his fifth?), but this time was different as he got to have a lot more personal time with the staff. This was especially true for Tom Herman, who spent a good chunk of time personally recruiting Washington, “He was telling me the history of himself because at first you just knew him because he’s the head coach of Texas. He told me things personally about when he was growing up and the love he had for UT.”

Washington let us know that he might be pushing back his intended commitment in July back to early signing day, “When I got more in the process, I got more connections, so it’s going to be a harder decision.”

In my opinion, Texas is the leader in the recruitment with Oklahoma being right on their heels. In Bryson Washington’s own words, “I’d say Texas is beating everybody else, recruiting-wise. They’re showing a lot of love. Texas is doing the most. They’re presenting themselves more. Texas is a great thing right now, and they’re pretty high [on my list].”

Bryson Washington seems to love making his way to Austin and is another who we expect back on campus come this March.

2020 CB Joshua Eaton (Aldine MacArthur – Houston, TX)

When you think of Texas’ defensive back prospects, you think long, tall, and athletic. That describes new Texas offeree Joshua Eaton who received his offer from that cool video in our other post.

On that video, Joshua told me laughing, “That video was pretty cool, and when he told me ‘In Texas we have different things in backpacks. In this one, we hand out offers,’ that was an exciting moment for me. A big surprise.”

Besides that offer, Eaton felt that hanging out with Jason Washington was the highlight of the trip, “Honestly, hanging out with Coach Washington was a highlight. He’s an awesome man. A funny man. He made me feel at home.”

Now that Texas has offered, Eaton told me that Texas will definitely be in the top five when he drops it in the fall. Until then, Eaton will be coming back next month for Spring practices. Along with Texas, he will be visiting USC, Oregon, Auburn, Oklahoma, and a few others.

2020 DE Jason Harris (Higley – Gilbert, AZ)

Texas has been owned a few under-appreciated markets around the country like St. Louis and Phoenix over the last cycle. It seems they look to continue that trend as they brought 6’7”, 220-pound Jason Harris from Gilbert, AZ (around Phoenix), in to visit.

It seems that the trip really caught him off guard, as it surpassed his expectations, “It was a great experience meeting all the coaches. They seem like great people and fun people to be around. It felt like a family environment and I had a great time here
 I felt welcome here”

Texas’ success in Arizona has impressed him, “I think it would be cool to play with some guys from where I’m from. The players they brought in have a lot of talent. They’ll be fun to watch here.” It seems they will be using their connections in Arizona to get him in a Texas frame of mind.

Right now Texas is recruiting him as a defensive end. However, Harris is also a highly recruited basketball player getting interest from Arizona, Texas Tech, and a few others.

While the concept of playing two sports at Texas did come up, it didn’t seem like it was strongly emphasized, and it seems that the father will likely push him towards football.

Jason Harris will be a nationally sought after recruit and will also be visiting Oklahoma, UCLA, and Texas A&M.

• Like 1

Omeire update via HammLite 

Top 100 WR Omeire high on both A&M, Texas

SPRING, Texas - Fort Bend Austin wide receiver Troy Omeire is one of the top prospects in the nation at his position for the class of 2020. The 6-foot-3.5, 217-pound junior has offers from all over the country.

However, the national top-100 prospect has been a bit focused on schools that are pretty close to his Houston-area home. He recently made his way up to Texas A&M.

"I was up at A&M for the Super Bowl," Omeire said at Sunday's Under Armour camp. "It was fun. I got to see a lot of people that I normally see and I'm close with like Aki (Ogunbiyi), Smart (Chibuzo) and some others. I had a good time up there for sure."

Omeire knows his fellow Fort Bend ISD prospects Akinola Ogunbiyi and Smart Chibuzo quite well.

"They are definitely all over me, trying to get me to be an Aggie with them," Omeire said. "Aki, he goes to Kempner so it's like down the street. Smart, he's cool and funny."

Omeire was not in Austin this past weekend but will be visiting Texas soon.

"I wasn't able to make it yesterday, but I'll be up there on the 9th of March," he said. "It's not a Junior Day or anything. It's just a day where I want to come up and spend time with the coaches and everything."

Omeire does not plan to make a commitment in the next couple of months but would ideally like to have it out of the way before his senior season.

"I'm not going to do anything anytime soon," he said. "I should commit in the summertime. That's my goal. I'm not trying to rush into it."

Not surprisingly, the schools Omeire has visited the most are at the top of his list.

"I'd say A&M and Texas are," he said as to who was standing out. "It's close for my mom and I love both places."

Omeire had seemingly been high on each program at different points and he admits that is the case.

"It's gone back and forth a couple times," the nation's No. 75 overall prospect said. "I haven't really been close to committing but it seems like I'll really start liking one and then it will go to the other. They're both great."