Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

When a UT reporter says something like this, I get the sense that he is trying to appease his readership but things don't look great.

Agreed. Announcing July 4th and publicly committed to going to a major recruiting event later that month means either he has already decided on OU or his July 4 announcement means nothing.

1 hour ago, Dummy said:

Fong: National recruiting intel on Texas

Reveal hidden contents

After two-straight top three recruiting classes on the 247Sports network, Texas has come out the gate a little slower in the 2020 cycle.

That’s not what’s to say is already in the boat isn’t good. It is. Damn good actually.

Nobody will hit bigger at quarterback this cycle than the Longhorns with the additions of Top247 athlete Ja'Quinden Jackson and fellow Top247 recruit Hudson Card, who keeps the Lake Travis Division-I pipeline going at nine straight.

On the offensive line, four-stars Jake Majors and Logan Parr are physical, very intelligent interior players that will bolster the position room upon arrival, and there is a lot of upside with offensive tackle Jaylen Garth.

Athlete recruit Jaden Hullaby brings some versatility not on the roster, potentially a fullback/tight end type that can line up all over, one snap providing an extra blocker and on another creating a mismatch to make a play in space.

Texas is certainly in on some big-time players moving forward. In the spring it seemed like the Longhorns moved in front for five-star running back Bijan Robinson. That race has tightened following visits to Ohio State and USC. The Longhorns aim to remind the blue-chipper why he likes them so much this weekend. As it stands now I still think Jase McClellan sticks with his word to Oklahoma.

Robinson's teammate at Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic in the country’s No. 2 safety Lathan Ransomhas been to campus twice this spring including his official last weekend. LSU at one point looked in control but Texas is positioned well.

The recruitment for Top247 offensive lineman Chad Lindberg is another war that Texas has consistently been near the top but maybe LSU is giving him reasons to leave the state. Georgia and USC are in there too and the Aggies get their swing this weekend.

Top247 defensive tackle Vernon Broughton has maintained daily communication with Texas and the Longhorns looked like the clear favorite at the beginning of January but now Arkansas and Texas A&M have made this one interesting to say the least.

Top247 in-state defensive backs in Jahari Rogers and Kitan Crawford have an eye on the SEC with Rogers feeling Florida and Crawford Tennessee. Tom Herman and his staff get their chance this weekend to change the dynamic of those recruitments. I think that those are two big visits with five-star Kelee Ringo looking more and more like he’s favoring Georgia at this point.

LSU is in the picture for Top247 linebacker Prince Dorbah. They’re going to make Texas work to win that one.

I obviously still feel good about Top247 safety Chris Thompson Jr. and the Longhorns.

This is some fucking shit. So, Texas has signed back to back top 3 classes. Each time getting a smattering of recruits before the end of summer, but somehow they will now be lucky to land all these guys because SEC.

21 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

The Auburn boards say he’ll definitely go to Stanford if he gets in.

And if he doesn’t he’s gonna go to... LSU? So weird to me when kids have regard for education if it’s Stanford, then just say fuck it and go to a shit school if they don’t get in.

56 minutes ago, Dummy said:

On the offensive line, four-stars Jake Majors and Logan Parr are physical, very intelligent interior players that will bolster the position room upon arrival, and there is a lot of upside with offensive tackle Jaylen Garth.

As if that "update" weren't pathetic enough strictly based on the lack of information and insight provided, he's got to drop the racist stereotypes:  white guys = physical, very intelligent and good teammates in the position room; black guy = a lot of upside. Nice work all the way around, Fonger.

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Agreed. Announcing July 4th and publicly committed to going to a major recruiting event later that month means either he has already decided on OU or his July 4 announcement means nothing.

Kids cancel and no show visits all the time. 

• Like 1

Gabe Brooks Note on Kelvontay Dixon

Spoiler

Texas seemed like the obvious choice for a long time with Carthage star Kelvontay Dixon, especially given that his older brother is Longhorns standout running back Keaontay Ingram.

But the longer Dixon's recruitment draws out, the more it seems that Texas is not going to push for Dixon in its 2020 class.

With that in mind, I'm getting closer and closer to changing my 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Arkansas in this recruitment. Arkansas has done a terrific job establishing a relationship and Dixon and his family, and Dixon has visited the Razorbacks multiple times. The numbers for Arkansas a bit tight right now, but they love Dixon and I think he has a spot there, ultimately.

Arkansas wants to use him at running back, and Dixon's frame has gotten to 6-foot, 180 pounds. When I met him more than two years ago in the spring of his freshman year, he was 5-8, 150.

While he may not wind up in the 220-pound range like his older brother, he very well could get to 200 pounds and provide a 12-carry, 10-target, plus return game type of all-purpose role for a P5-level offense.

Make no mistake, Dixon is a very talented football player and his track exploits suggest his athletic ceiling is high. He recorded several sub-11.00 100-meter times this spring, including a top time of 10.71. He finished second at the Texas 4A state meet in the triple jump (46-10.25) and his 47-6 personal record tied for the best number in 4A this year. He was also a state qualifier in the 100 meters and a key piece of two state-qualifying relay teams at Carthage.

Just now, Dummy said:

Gabe Brooks Note on Kelvontay Dixon

Reveal hidden contents

Texas seemed like the obvious choice for a long time with Carthage star Kelvontay Dixon, especially given that his older brother is Longhorns standout running back Keaontay Ingram.

But the longer Dixon's recruitment draws out, the more it seems that Texas is not going to push for Dixon in its 2020 class.

With that in mind, I'm getting closer and closer to changing my 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Arkansas in this recruitment. Arkansas has done a terrific job establishing a relationship and Dixon and his family, and Dixon has visited the Razorbacks multiple times. The numbers for Arkansas a bit tight right now, but they love Dixon and I think he has a spot there, ultimately.

Arkansas wants to use him at running back, and Dixon's frame has gotten to 6-foot, 180 pounds. When I met him more than two years ago in the spring of his freshman year, he was 5-8, 150.

While he may not wind up in the 220-pound range like his older brother, he very well could get to 200 pounds and provide a 12-carry, 10-target, plus return game type of all-purpose role for a P5-level offense.

Make no mistake, Dixon is a very talented football player and his track exploits suggest his athletic ceiling is high. He recorded several sub-11.00 100-meter times this spring, including a top time of 10.71. He finished second at the Texas 4A state meet in the triple jump (46-10.25) and his 47-6 personal record tied for the best number in 4A this year. He was also a state qualifier in the 100 meters and a key piece of two state-qualifying relay teams at Carthage.

That's unfortunate.

30 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

As if that "update" weren't pathetic enough strictly based on the lack of information and insight provided, he's got to drop the racist stereotypes:  white guys = physical, very intelligent and good teammates in the position room; black guy = a lot of upside. Nice work all the way around, Fonger. 

jackass forgot that forgot that Majors and Parr would bring their lunch pails too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Or he doesn't end up going to the event 

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

There IS something special in Bijan. He's great. You can win championships with him, and by all accounts he seems like a high character kid with a good attitude. I'm perfectly happy with cutting bait with Evans right now, at best he's jerking us along, and we've seen over the last 8 months a shift in his seeming attitude, not just towards us but in how he is treating recruiting. Pics of him with wads of cash. Trashing schools in quotes on twitter. At some point, the mental aspect and portal percentage and team culture might get him. Who knows. But chasing after the piece of ass that told us to get lost seems like a waste of fucking time. 

I'm not only along for the ride on this, I'll pay for the gas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fellside said:

The good news is that it will be nice to have a rooting interest in this whole Duncanville-North Shore rematch that will likely happen this year.

It’s going to be weird for me rooting for anything Dallas over Houston; but here we are. Need to get some duncanville gear.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

DT Octavious Oxendine, North Hardin (Radcliff, KY): Ranked as a Rivals250 guy, the Kentucky resident is a big body, but in the second tier of Texas targets in 2020.

Name > 2nd tier. 

Sign him up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

So did they just steal his thunder?

He's not the biggest social media guy, so he might have been fine with them posting it.

On the other hand, none of the analysts have retweeted it, and they definitely have their stories written, which would suggest some gun-jumping.

Edited by texifornia