Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

image.png.40593bdf0a8d838c67ea34c7e104130c.png

lol... this is getting old.  whether it's true or not, seems like we're making the bags of money excuse for almost every recruit we lose regardless of the school.  if that is indeed the case, then we are fucking idiots for being the only school not handing out bags of money.  if herman is stupid enough to think recruits will pick us because we're Texas when other schools offer the exact same platform and advantages plus hand them money, then he's an idiot for wasting his time with these recruitments.  

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It's weird. It's like we don't have a problem recruiting QB, OL, WR, TE, DB, but for some reason...I just can't think of a reason, but for some super weird reason, we have trouble recruiting RB and DL

This vexes me. I'm terribly vexed. 

Texas Will Have Its Vengeance Soon Enough...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

lol... this is getting old.  whether it's true or not, seems like we're making the bags of money excuse for almost every recruit we lose regardless of the school.  if that is indeed the case, then we are fucking idiots for being the only school not handing out bags of money.  if herman is stupid enough to think recruits will pick us because we're Texas when other schools offer the exact same platform and advantages plus hand them money, then he's an idiot for wasting his time with these recruitments.   

Michigan, Notre Dame and Washington are losing battles for the exact same recruits. Those schools have more in common with each other and UT than they do with the Bamas and tOSUs of the world.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luka Skywalker said:

I just can't get over the fact that we did not capitalize on the momentum of this past season.  Will a win over LSU really make that much of a difference in recruiting?  I think we will still have our picks of the 3 stars.. 

This might be the most fitting application of Herman's motto that "momentum is an illusion." We've had some great examples recently that bags are what win croots, not momentum and on-field success. 

1 minute ago, trythisathome said:

This might be the most fitting application of Herman's motto that "momentum is an illusion." We've had some great examples recently that bags are what win croots*, not momentum and on-field success.  

*Some recruits. We're always going to get our share of good recruits - our class is really high quality, just small.

56 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Any time anyone would say "Damn, Ransom is going Buckeye, not great news for us and Bijan.", they'd get the "they're not a package deal backa backa blah blah blargh they're not close bluhluhbubub."

No one was saying they were a package deal,  or close, but some can just put two and two together and imagine a scenario where  a HS kid might have an easier time convincing his HS teammate he sees almost daily to come join him 2,000 miles away, easier than some rando dude a few states away you text with. 

Or maybe they just flat out beat us for Bijan  and it matter where Ransom was committed?  

Youre attributing a lot of causation to Ransom’s decision without a basis for it.

51 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I'd almost give Drayton a pass on Robinson, not nailing down an OOS kid whose class teammate is going elsewhere, but we've seen this story before. 

IS Herman going to have to go on a recruiting warpath himself here after the dead period or what?

Herman can’t. He’s not that good of an individual recruiter. His value add is in creating a system and organization for his position coaches to thrive in, which is why so many of us focus on him needing better recruiting from his position coaches.

47 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

The only in-state RB's currently uncommited, who we have offered, are Evans, Jordan, and Smith (Jordan and Smith are listed as 'APB' on 247).

Out of state offers include Kendall Milton, Ashaad Johnson, and Sam Adams - none of whom seem to have any interest in Texas.

Who are the next tier of backs who might see a Texas offer come their way? 

Poach the TCU RB and find a second. 

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

*Some recruits. We're always going to get our share of good recruits - our class is really high quality, just small.

True. But bags are definitely what land the elite "holy shit this guy is good" level of croots. 

Edited by trythisathome

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

Several species of cat are native to the Ivory Coast, including caracals, servals, African golden cats, lions and leopards.

Caracals were trained as hunting cats by Egyptian pharaohs, as they can take down prey up to three times their size.

279294a66ddc325f30b5f95e79c97ac3.jpg

fucking cat knows kung foo

54 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Tim Beck was Bijan's recruiter and it was pretty fucking clear that the reason that he was the recruiter was because Drayton not only shit the bed last year with any primary targets, but had also fucked any chance of getting back in on anyone late - because he had bungled all of those relationships. It's gonna take BC, Washington, and/or Samples to get anyone in the boat 

What's it gonna take folks ask??  For some reason, this song came to mind....

(End of video is worth the watch....😆)

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Herman can’t. He’s not that good of an individual recruiter. His value add is in creating a system and organization for his position coaches to thrive in, which is why so many of us focus on him needing better recruiting from his position coaches.

Exactly, Herman isn't going to pop in and become some rainmaker on the recruiting trail.  I don't get the sense that he's much of a salesman. 

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

This is where we may just agree to disagree, but Bru's the only one of those that I felt that way about as high school prospects.

If you didn’t feel that way about Sterns, then you were simply wrong at the time, don’t compound that mistake by also being wrong now.

• Like 2

No sugarcoating from Mike Roach:

Per Blair Angulo, Bijan Robinson plans to announce his decision on August 2nd. It sounds like Ohio State will be the pick from the digging I’ve been doing. I thought this would play out better for Texas if he took his time, but it looks like he’s going to shut it down.

Lots of it from Eric Nahlin, though.

Vacation was great, thanks for asking. Why, yes, good point, this job is the vacation of jobs, but it's still great to unplug and I urge everyone to pick a good time to do so. I appreciate my colleagues for picking up my slack. Getting caught back up on the goings on of the previous week helped me crystallize my long-held beliefs that there are two types of fans of recruiting. Let's look at them and maybe you can identify which one you aren't.

Person A: Star-gazes at the rankings and wonders why Texas hasn't offered so-and-so with the high ranking. You know, the fat kid with the fake Bama offer.
Person B: Understands stars are important on the macro but watches individual tape or listens to those who do to better understand the micro because some players are so comically over- or under-rated.

Person A: Shrugs as Texas lands a lean, even if he's a stud. Celebrates an average player who was a dogfight or a surprise. BJ Foster is good but he committed early with little fanfare, especially for a five-star. Couldn't he have visited A&M a few times so Texas could win a head to head? Asking for a friend.
Person B: Celebrates them all -- some a little more than others of course -- because the staff you should mostly trust by now wanted that player and if they miss on him they have to go lower down the board.

Person A: Follows the day-to-day like a soap opera -- mimics the drama of a soap character with orgasmic highs and text message breakup lows.
Person B: Follows the day-to-day wearing their GM hat -- monitors where the program is at vis a vis needs being met. This sicko gets off to roster management.

Person A: Texas should land so-and-so no matter what. Takes it personal when a 17-year-old doesn't share his affinity for the school they have loved for 40+ years, met their wife at, and sent their children to.
Person B: Maybe Texas should land so-and-so but what's the context? And yeah it sucks to lose some of them but it's a choice they have to live with. Half of marriages end in divorce, anyhow.

Person A: If we lose Player X there is no replacement. I'll probably quit following recruiting. (they won't)
Person B: Only a handful of guys each cycle are irreplaceable, know what I mean Vern, but you better line up great contingencies lest your overall roster talent declines in a way that affects wins and losses.

Person A: Over-reacts to unestablished trends based on minimal data points. Texas can't recruit Dallas.
Person B: He's MarkCubantakingnotes.gif until the trend is pretty clear. Odd, this staff hasn't recruited Dallas all that much, let's look a little deeper. Ooh, there are at least plausible explanations for it. Looks like Herman is picking things up in the area.

Person A: Nobody really cheats, quit making excuses, and if they do it's not that bad because everybody does it.
Person B: College football is a huge business and many programs will cut corners -- most notably the ones who have been caught previously cutting corners.

Person A: Freaks out when OU or A&M beats Texas for a priority target.
Person B: Freaks out when OU or A&M beats Texas for a priority target.

The two personalities have that one in common and they have the feeling of being football starved in common as well. Recruiting is a competitive sport that carries us through the off-season. Score isn't kept, at least not accurately, until the end of the game but nobody likes being down at halftime. Similar to the hyper-reactionaries in the game threads who think the contest is over after the first series, some recruitniks are ready to quit when it simply seems like Texas is going to lose even after back-to-back top-three classes. Maybe you're Person A. Maybe you're Person B. Maybe you're Person C, the person who will read this long recruiting post then tell the board you don't care about recruiting. Person C is football starved like the rest, just more sane, and kind of an asshole. I hope you're reading this in your Andy Rooney voice.

STAN DRAYTON

Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton is delivering a lasting reminder for all that "rainmaker" recruiters are more often a product of time and circumstance, and sometimes some other stuff, than being highly likable salesmen with the gift of gab. With Drayton it turns out it's easier to recruit at a surging Ohio State under one of the all time great college head coaches than it is at a previously slumbering Texas under a young up-and-comer. It's also nice coaching in the pros where somebody else acquires the talent.

It's often accurately stated that the primary job of a running back coach is to recruit. That's undeniably true, or at least it should be. The same is true of tight ends and wide receivers coaches. When Drayton took the job, I opined that he would only leave the pros for college if it was to fast-track a head coaching job. That seemed more obvious to me after I heard he was very similar to Herman when it came to his personality. He was also named associate head coach. I think Herman has him on staff because he values his contributions outside of recruiting. Recruiting still matters, though, so let's take an honest look at Stan Drayton's record while at Texas.

2017: The transition class netted former Houston Cougar commit Daniel Young who was clearly a Herman call,as well as Toneil Carter. Landing Carter had much more to do with Corby Meekins and Georgia not letting Carter enroll early than Drayton. Star running back Eno Benjamin likely would have ended up in the class if he wasn't an early enrollee. What a kick. There was also JK Dobbins, but like with Benjamin, the staff had little time to work on him.

Verdict: No fingerprints here, Drayton was wearing gloves in Chicago coaching Bears rookie Jordan Howard to a career year. It would have been nice if recruits fell over themselves to play for him but with no relationships in place they didn't.

2018: After taking two in 2017 it was to be a one running back class. Drayton had carte blanche to identify his targets and pursue as he saw fit. He cast lines all over the country but after receiving nary a nibble he found a fishing hole in Carthage, Texas. It was disappointing to Person A that Ingram was the best Texas could do, but it's clear that even as a composite .9324 player he was under-rated. It will be interesting to see how Ingram stacks up with those rated above him, especially now that he's grown into the 220 pound frame that was obvious to see after his junior year.

Verdict: Still with no national cache, Drayton played a big role in landing the best running back in Texas in a cycle dominated by the Horns. Drayton helped slam this door shut early on and Ingram will be a difference-maker barring injury. Maybe Ingram is a five-star. That's a good cycle.

2019: This is the cycle that has even Person B wondering what in the name of Ezekiel Elliott is going on? We're now back to a two running back class but as luck would have it, the state is barren. We learned in the 2018 class that Drayton's name, and UT's for that matter, isn't carrying much weight nationally at the position. While you lament that didn't stop Tim Beck from landing stud Arizona offensive talent I'll continue. Drayton did have one solid "in" as he already started recruiting Noah Cain even before he was recruited to IMG. Things were positive between the two parties for most of the cycle but Cain was destined to decide late. Not wanting to be left empty handed the staff looked far and wide for a player who can help set a high floor for the class. They moved in on Atlanta's Derrian Brown swiftly and closed the deal with little fanfare. Now the focus returned to Cain and his teammate at IMG, Trey Sanders. Like Cain, Sanders had also shown the staff mutual interest. He even met a girl in Dallas, presumably in pink shorts while at brunch. No word on what she was wearing. Because of the suitors involved for Sanders it feels like pyrite, and other than a very brief moment in October this one was highly unlikely. Over the last couple of months it became clear behind the scenes that Texas wasn't going to be able to compete. Another funny thing happened in October -- the staff began to view wide receiver Jordan Whittington as a running back. Due equally to his build, one that was already large for slot receiver, and his ability and strength with the ball in his hands, we probably should have seen that sooner. We did mention this development but not until December when we heard about it. This is why they didn't line up contingencies for Cain, or Sanders who they were pretty sure they weren't going to land anyway. With Cain, it would have been nice for Drayton to close out, especially with limited depth at the position, and it would be comforting for those concerned over his recruiting ability, but I'm only assigning partial blame for reasons that may never come out.

Verdict: I'm not sure how much of Derrian Brown's recruitment Drayton is responsible for. We can assume he played a positive role but I think others did as well. Clearly he didn't do much for landing Whittington, but just as clearly he had input in whether or not he wanted Whittington in his position room. Whittington's such a pure football player that's not a tough call. No points awarded there, Stan. Cain, yeah, that loss is partially on Drayton. Sanders doesn't figure negatively or positively into the verdict for anyone of sound mind.

2020: One of the problems with 2020 when it comes to Drayton is it's following 2019 where UT filled needs but not because of him in any large measure. The other problem, the one that matters, is the five-stars in and out-of-state are leaning elsewhere. Hey, at least they're visiting now. Sometimes you can have the right process and get the wrong result. That's what happened with Jase McClellan, at least from the staff's perspective. McClellan was ready to commit extremely early but the Texas coaches were hesitant to take his commitment in general because of his age and in particular because of concerns over wear and tear. Aledo is heavily reliant on their running backs. The hesitancy to take McClellan makes it an uphill battle to land him. Then there's North Shore's Zach Evans who is difficult to recruit, to put it mildly. @malaise, that little locker room anarchist, wants a team full of guys like Evans but it's unclear what he's going to do with them. Start a wrestling federation? One day I'll probably get bored and write a Zach Evans update just to watch the 10 page **** show but for now we'll just keep him out of sight and out of mind. That's pyrite too. The situation with Bijan Robinson is the most irksome but I'm not sure anyone has enough information to assign blame to Drayton because we don't know exactly what Ohio State told Robinson on his official visit. Or Lathan Ransom for that matter. If Drayton can't overcome aspects of football, depth chart, campus life, etc., that's on him and the overall Texas pitch. If he has to overcome something else, something out of his control, then maybe it's not. I know Robinson liked Texas enough to ponder committing. You can do a really good job recruiting a guy and come up short.

Verdict: Drayton will be measured by his ability to land a five-star in the cycle, not knock out impressive contingencies. The cycle isn't over so there is no verdict. We're left to ponder maybes. Maybe if they miss on Robinson it helps with McClellan. Maybe Robinson does end up choosing Texas. Maybe @malaise , now moving around with a scowl, growl, and rolled up newspaper as Evans' new manager walks him out of the tunnel to a roaring crowd at DKR. With each of these recruits, including Evans, Herman is heavily involved. Maybe that's verdict enough for some, or at least foreshadowing Drayton's ability, but we'll see how the next five or six months go. I don't think Person B will even tolerate two contingency running backs given the bountiful options at the position, not even if they have impressive tape.

It sure has the feel behind the scenes that the 2021 approach is more aggressive than in years past. Rather than waiting for a quarterback to commit, Texas happily and wisely gained the commitment from wide receiver Quaydarius Davis. It's not out of the realm of possibility this class has a decent little start before a quarterback joins and things really kick off.

In recruiting you need advocates. You need consensus builders. You need people telling you the narrative you were sold at another school is nonsense. You need guys representing your class at camps, combines, and 7 on 7 events. In general, landing guys you can early means you aren't fighting tooth and nail for them later. Not every game has to be close. That's just a better allocation of time and resources. Sure, you'd like a little more time to evaluate in spots but they should know a sure-fire take when they see one, especially in a class like this where so many quality players are already known.

17 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Herman has no choice. I've seen other people make reference to Herman paying players, specifically Michael Knight or 6th Street or whoever decides to show up for a drive by to say "pay players" while having no understanding whatsoever how the process works. You think Tom Herman would have a problem paying players? The problem isn't Herman. It's the UT Institution and the Boosters. It's a systemic cultural aversion. A majority of the wealthy don't want to pay players, they think it's fucking unseemly and that UT and it's alumni should be above such reprehensible behavior. We're too good for that shit, in their minds. The money we have generally speaking isn't interested in paying players or setting up a network. 

I sat in a room full of boosters that that guide the Longhorn Foundation while CDC gave a presentation on the South End zone project. The average age was probably 65-70. And let me tell you, a vast majority gave audible sounds of distaste when the topic of how much we were going to spend on facilities and medical renovations. When the talk of a player's lounge came up, one fucking old fart literally raised his hand and said he didn't understand the need for all these extras, the value of a degree from the University of Texas was reward enough. I don't think the average, normal fan REALLY understands the age and mentality behind who's shaping some of the aspects of how we do business as an Athletic Department. I thought I did, but seeing it in action is fucking startling. And none of this shit is probably going to change until some old people die. 

If you think Herman is going to start contacting boosters to feel out who might be interested in starting paying players, developing a network, etc, well, I don't personally see it, and I find it highly unlikely. What I find more likely is he has some measure of success here and takes a job elsewehre if he feels like he can't win at the highest level at Texas. But that's just my personal opinion. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

you sound in the know or at least you pretend really well to be in the know.  so what was drayton doing or not doing burning bridges?  is he just lazy?  his personality is sand paper? 

Well to be fair, he did get the kid from Georgia to commit, who was a strong secondary offer. Of course, Drayton should have foreseen him having a stroke and nearly dying, otherwise golfclap is spot on.

11 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

This is where we may just agree to disagree, but Bru's the only one of those that I felt that way about as high school prospects.

So, is it more important how you feel about them as prospects or how they actually play on the field? 

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Well to be fair, he did get the kid from Georgia to commit, who was a strong secondary offer. Of course, Drayton should have foreseen him having a stroke and nearly dying, otherwise golfclap is spot on. 

Brown was a JWash guy. He's the area recruiter and was the guy Brown always mentioned talking to.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I sat in a room full of boosters that that guide the Longhorn Foundation while CDC gave a presentation on the South End zone project. The average age was probably 65-70. And let me tell you, a vast majority gave audible sounds of distaste when the topic of how much we were going to spend on facilities and medical renovations. When the talk of a player's lounge came up, one fucking old fart literally raised his hand and said he didn't understand the need for all these extras, the value of a degree from the University of Texas was reward enough. I don't think the average, normal fan REALLY understands the age and mentality behind who's shaping some of the aspects of how we do business as an Athletic Department. I thought I did, but seeing it in action is fucking startling. And none of this shit is probably going to change until some old people die. 

When CDC talks about "rowing the boats in the same direction", this is the shit he has to deal with.

Having said that, nothing I've seen from or heard about CDC indicates that he would stand for the kind of program we want to consistently win the elite guys (assuming competent recruiting coaches, winning on the field, facilities in place, etc.).

Edited by Machinator

Just now, Machinator said:

When CDC talks about "rowing the boats in the same direction", this is the shit he has to deal with.

Having said that, nothing I've seen from or heard about CDC indicates that he would stand for that kind of program, either.

Yeah, I don't get that either man. But in many dirty athletic departments, this shit sits outside the AD to a certain degree. Or at least, it can. Some AD's don't give a fuck and have their eyes open. 

I don't envy the old fucking wealthy people he has to deal with at all, they are completely out of touch. 

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

So, is it more important how you feel about them as prospects or how they actually play on the field? 

Rhetorical questions aside, my whole point is that we clearly have a hard time landing consensus top 10 guys, and there's one very likely explanation for that. 

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, I don't get that either man. But in many dirty athletic departments, this shit sits outside the AD to a certain degree. Or at least, it can. Some AD's don't give a fuck and have their eyes open. 

I don't envy the old fucking wealthy people he has to deal with at all, they are completely out of touch.  

Pony Excess, the SMU 30 for 30, had a nice little explanation about how keeping a wall between the AD and the cheating was important for plausible deniability, and how it breaking down really screwed the program. Of course the NCAA doesn't give a shit now compared to then so who cares.

Edited by texifornia

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I do feel there is a difference in having a guy like CDC versus someone like John Sharp or the Ole Miss AD they hired.

Ultimately, as you said, it comes down to institutional culture more than what individual leaders wants.

1 hour ago, trythisathome said:

Didn't one of them say that if Bijan goes to OSU, they have to completely reevaluate how they process information? Looks like they have some pretty big fucking homework to do

Nahlin said that, yes. It’s obvious that the combination of players saying nice things about Texas and the coaches at certain positions having no clue about where their key targets were headed caused this misinformation from the 9.95’ers. You can see a scenario where a IT staff member texts Drayton to verify if Robinson’s interest is legit and Drayton, as clueless as he is fires back with a “oh he’s a silent commit to us” response. That is when he can pry himself away from whatever the fuck he actually does on a day to day basis. 

It should also be very suspect if a recruit is a lock but has not committed in months since being considered a lock. 

17 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The point is Texas had a viable RB commitment and didn't need to keep the irons hot on more secondary and tertiary kids.

Satya’s pessimism pales in comparison to your stupidity. 

You responded to a post specifically about Drayton as a recruiter, so the point is not that JWash got Brown in the class last year.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If the 2020 failures show Herman to take early recruiting seriously to the point where it's ok to have 15+ recruits going into the 1st game, then it will be a lesson well learned.

Herman has literally said he wants that many committed before the first game, and he did that when he was able to hit his top targets in 2018. It’s not an issue of Herman not valuing early recruiting. He and the staff aren’t able to land enough of their top targets two years in a row, so they have to circle back on other guys they’ve been slowplaying and wait for senior film on others.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Let's go to the "recruiting is not going well top 3 excuses" used by fanboys for years

1. Trust the Coaches (my favorite variation of this is "I'm going to trust someone who gets paid millions to evaluate talent over you")

2. Patience. (indicating they know something you don't know, but they usually don't)

3. [Insert Former Great Player] was a three star

All are true sometimes. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Herman has no choice. I've seen other people make reference to Herman paying players, specifically Michael Knight or 6th Street or whoever decides to show up for a drive by to say "pay players" while having no understanding whatsoever how the process works. You think Tom Herman would have a problem paying players? The problem isn't Herman. It's the UT Institution and the Boosters. It's a systemic cultural aversion. A majority of the wealthy don't want to pay players, they think it's fucking unseemly and that UT and it's alumni should be above such reprehensible behavior. We're too good for that shit, in their minds. The money we have generally speaking isn't interested in paying players or setting up a network. 

If you think Herman is going to start contacting boosters to feel out who might be interested in starting paying players, developing a network, etc, well, I don't personally see it, and I find it highly unlikely. What I find more likely is he has some measure of success here and takes a job elsewehre if he feels like he can't win at the highest level at Texas. But that's just my personal opinion. 

we’re texas.  this is the best university in the best city in the best state in the best country in the world.  if a degree from hereisnt enough for these kids then I don’t want them here. 

56 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You had as much to do with Brown or Whittington signing with Texas as Stan Drayton. 

49 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The point is Texas had a viable RB commitment and didn't need to keep the irons hot on more secondary and tertiary kids.

It's his actual fucking job. It's the single biggest part of his fucking job. Do you think these guys get a verbal (or even a signee) and then clap their hands together and call it a year? Recruiting is a year-round job and making and maintaining those relationships (even beyond the tertiary candidates) is the actual work. Keeping those irons in the fire is his job far more often than coaching RB on the field and watching film. Do you think that Washington ever stops talking to the guys that come to camp at Texas, even if those guys are not going to be inline for an offer? Guys that are clearly going to other schools? Guys that wouldn't be the 15th guy offered? You think Curtis Luper is done at TCU right now because he has a RB in the fold? Do you think he's keeping any other irons hot? What about Jay Boulware? Do you think that dude is keeping any irons hot? I mean, he's got McClellan and McGowan right now, right? Surely if McClellan decommits, they won't/can't land another RB, right? 

My guess is that like a lot of college guys that go up for a cup of coffee in the NFL -- recruiting is a fucking grind and he's just done. He's clearly getting outworked in every single fucking phase and has been since he arrived in Austin. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

This certainly makes a lot of sense, but isn't the typical bag man network so far removed from the program that the most prominent boosters and administration would have no connection to it? To be fair, I'm basing most of what I know off of that SB Nation article from a few years back, but i'd be surprised if the head coach contacts anyone in a modern player-paying situation.