Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

29 minutes ago, golfclap said:

You had as much to do with Brown or Whittington signing with Texas as Stan Drayton. 

It's his actual fucking job. It's the single biggest part of his fucking job. Do you think these guys get a verbal (or even a signee) and then clap their hands together and call it a year? Recruiting is a year-round job and making and maintaining those relationships (even beyond the tertiary candidates) is the actual work. Keeping those irons in the fire is his job far more often than coaching RB on the field and watching film. Do you think that Washington ever stops talking to the guys that come to camp at Texas, even if those guys are not going to be inline for an offer? Guys that are clearly going to other schools? Guys that wouldn't be the 15th guy offered? You think Curtis Luper is done at TCU right now because he has a RB in the fold? Do you think he's keeping any other irons hot? What about Jay Boulware? Do you think that dude is keeping any irons hot? I mean, he's got McClellan and McGowan right now, right? Surely if McClellan decommits, they won't/can't land another RB, right? 

My guess is that like a lot of college guys that go up for a cup of coffee in the NFL -- recruiting is a fucking grind and he's just done. He's clearly getting outworked in every single fucking phase and has been since he arrived in Austin. 

Do you have knowledge that he wasn't talking to other RBs besides Sanders and Cain? What's fucking hilarious in your diatribe is if Texas had signed Brown and some random 3 star back from Texas is you would still be bitching about Drayton not delivering Sanders or Cain. I don't think he's good at his job, but it's fucking hilarious to see dumbasses freak out about it on the internet when you know less than 0% of what the fuck is going on.  Please keep bringing the raging lulz.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 3

I’m going to pass along something I heard related to some of the recent recruiting challenges. No idea if this is true or not. It’s just what I heard. 

When a player visits, it is sometimes not clear whether that player could be influenced by improper benefits. The reason is that often players and the families don’t make those intentions clear. Rather they sit back and see what materializes.

The schools that engage in those practices address that topic during the visits to the school, obviously in a very careful, hidden way.

So you could get a player on campus and believe you are in a great position to land them, until the improper benefits appear at a future campus visit at a competitive school.

The player accepts trips to schools that don’t pay improper benefits because they don’t know that nothing will be forthcoming when they visit. Or, they aren’t quite sure whether any school will offer anything. When it doesn’t happen, they move on to the next school to see what is offered. 

So how does this sometimes play out regarding Texas? They gets guys on campus who really like the program. Texas thinks they’ve got a potential recruit. But when that recruit visits certain other campuses,  certain time-limited offers are made. All of a sudden, the player accepts that offer and Texas is on the outside looking in.

I won’t mention particular names, but I think we’ve all read stories about players we thought were interested in Texas who very suddenly committed elsewhere. In some cases, that is all about the fast route to money. Families need it so they take it. Also, they don’t want to get passed over for another recruit who will take the money and the slot.

The player is then wed to that school. They are okay with it because they want to help their family, and live a better lifestyle, obviously. So they rationalize it that way and Texas doesn’t get them, even if the player liked Texas the most. This is what explains the sudden shifts away from Texas, in some cases. 

• Like 7

Two commitments today and we’re melting down. It’s almost like an Ohio State coach let a certain silent running back commit out of the bag, leading to a flood of crystal balls, and shitting on our day.

Be happy for the quality of players we are getting this cycle. When it’s all said and done, we can cry about our typical major position recruiting gaps.

• Like 1

Or maybe they just flat out beat us for Bijan  and it matter where Ransom was committed?  

Youre attributing a lot of causation to Ransom’s decision without a basis for it.

Herman can’t. He’s not that good of an individual recruiter. His value add is in creating a system and organization for his position coaches to thrive in, which is why so many of us focus on him needing better recruiting from his position coaches.

Poach the TCU RB and find a second. 

I'm missing the part where I said "Texas outrecruited Ohio State but because Bijan's teammate committed there he decided to follow him, and that's the only reason." If you can find where I said that, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

All I am saying is that dismissing the possible impact a HS kid can have in helping recruit his HS teammate is foolish. 

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m going to pass along something I heard related to some of the recent recruiting challenges. No idea if this is true or not. It’s just what I heard. 

When a player visits, it is sometimes not clear whether that player could be influenced by improper benefits. The reason is that often players and the families don’t make those intentions clear. Rather they sit back and see what materializes.

The schools that engage in those practices address that topic during the visits to the school, obviously in a very careful, hidden way.

So you could get a player on campus and believe you are in a great position to land them, until the improper benefits appear at a future campus visit at a competitive school.

The player accepts trips to schools that don’t pay improper benefits because they don’t know that nothing will be forthcoming when they visit. Or, they aren’t quite sure whether any school will offer anything. When it doesn’t happen, they move on to the next school to see what is offered. 

So how does this sometimes play out regarding Texas? They gets guys on campus who really like the program. Texas thinks they’ve got a potential recruit. But when that recruit visits certain other campuses,  certain time-limited offers are made. All of a sudden, the player accepts that offer and Texas is on the outside looking in.

I won’t mention particular names, but I think we’ve all read stories about players we thought were interested in Texas who very suddenly committed elsewhere. In some cases, that is all about the fast route to money. Families need it so they take it. Also, they don’t want to get passed over for another recruit who will take the money and the slot.

The player is then wed to that school. They are okay with it because they want to help their family, and live a better lifestyle, obviously. So they rationalize it that way and Texas doesn’t get them, even if the player liked Texas the most. This is what explains the sudden shifts away from Texas, in some cases. 

This actually might be one of the most logical things I've read on this board. That or it's just confirmation bias, but it would explain a lot. 

I’m going to pass along something I heard related to some of the recent recruiting challenges. No idea if this is true or not. It’s just what I heard.  When a player visits, it is sometimes not clear whether that player could be influenced by improper benefits. The reason is that often players and the families don’t make those intentions clear. Rather they sit back and see what materializes.

The schools that engage in those practices address that topic during the visits to the school, obviously in a very careful, hidden way. So you could get a player on campus and believe you are in a great position to land them, until the improper benefits appear at a future campus visit at a competitive school. The player accepts trips to schools that don’t pay improper benefits because they don’t know that nothing will be forthcoming when they visit. Or, they aren’t quite sure whether any school will offer anything. When it doesn’t happen, they move on to the next school to see what is offered. 

So how does this sometimes play out regarding Texas? They gets guys on campus who really like the program. Texas thinks they’ve got a potential recruit. But when that recruit visits certain other campuses,  certain time-limited offers are made. All of a sudden, the player accepts that offer and Texas is on the outside looking in. I won’t mention particular names, but I think we’ve all read stories about players we thought were interested in Texas who very suddenly committed elsewhere.

In some cases, that is all about the fast route to money. Families need it so they take it. Also, they don’t want to get passed over for another recruit who will take the money and the slot. The player is then wed to that school. They are okay with it because they want to help their family, and live a better lifestyle, obviously. So they rationalize it that way and Texas doesn’t get them, even if the player liked Texas the most. This is what explains the sudden shifts away from Texas, in some cases. 

Believing this requires believing that Herman & Co. are incredibly naive. Herman was Ohio State's OC for three years, knowing that and knowing his personality why would this ever happen under his watch? Especially with in-state kids.

Believing this requires believing that Herman & Co. are incredibly naive. Herman was Ohio State's OC for three years, knowing that and knowing his personality why would this ever happen under his watch? Especially with in-state kids.

What do you mean? Of course he knows all about this. But what can he do? He doesn’t know who to not waste time on in some cases until they make it known they expect a payout. He recruits them until he find evidence that they are going to take the benefits. Also, I won’t go into any more detail, but sometimes Texas hopes that they can still get the player even though boosters aren’t offering to write big checks. 

What do you mean? Of course he knows all about this. But what can he do? He doesn’t know who to not waste time on in some cases until they make it known they expect a payout. He recruits them until he find evidence that they are going to take the benefits. Also, I won’t go into any more detail, but sometimes Texas hopes that they can still get the player even though boosters aren’t offering to write big checks. 

Kinda wonder if Herman ever considered this when taking the job. If he'd be at such a disadvantage. 

The state of Arizona went from looking pretty good for us to looking like pure dog shit. 

Whatever happened to that tall DE from Arizona who was also a basketball player?  There were $9.95 articles all over about him and how interested he was in Texas, and then he just dropped off the face of the earth.

Texas feels good about:

• Dorbah- Texas
  • Rogers- TBD but perhaps leaning Texas
  • Collins- TBD but leaning Texas
  • Johnston- ?
  • Washington - OU
  • Robinson- tOSU
  • Thompson Jr- Silent to Texas

Obviously they're apparently alone in the belief that they will land Robinson based on today's updates from steadfast recruiting wizards Jason Suchomel and Mike Farrell. I'm fairly certain the stuff I relay here has a far higher hit rate than Suchomel over the past decade+. This is that lazy fuck's first time to meet many of these guys. Anyway, the issue remains that at some point, Robinson has to pick up the phone and commit to his position coach somewhere. If that happens with Drayton, it will be the first time he's gotten one of those calls while at Texas. 

They like where they stand with Broughton (TBD) as well. 

Might be a good time to revisit what CTJ said were the staff's perceptions of their standing. 

Not great, considering they "felt good about" (I assume that means they're pretty confident in landing?) each of these. If they get all of the remaining players (unlikely), we'd probably call it an overall success, but even losing Washington and Robinson speaks to the arrogance oft mentioned wrt Herman et al. 

Is Emmitt Smith working right now? Have we thought about hiring him to be the RB coach? Think about it. The greatest running back to ever play sitting in the living rooms and talking game to kids. 

Why stop there? Payton Manning as QB coach, the ghost of Reggie White on DL, LT to the lb room, Anthony Munoz to OL and Jerry Rice to WR coach.

• Like 2

Is Emmitt Smith working right now? Have we thought about hiring him to be the RB coach? Think about it. The greatest running back to ever play sitting in the living rooms and talking game to kids. 

ummm, Emmitt was great, but Gil Brandt didn't even have him in his top 10.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000815786/gil-brandt's-25-greatest-nfl-running-backs-of-all-time

I know a lot of you are haters of this podcast, but for the ones that aren't, here:

If the “how should you feel about recruiting” is anything other than some version of “look at our composite and it’s only July” I will dress up in salmon short shorts and deck shoes like HenryJames and kick all of CTJ’s shitty little purse dogs. 

• Like 1

If the “how should you feel about recruiting” is anything other than some version of “look at our composite and it’s only July” I will dress up in salmon short shorts and deck shoes like HenryJames and kick all of CTJ’s shitty little purse dogs. 

I love inside jokes. Love to be a part of one some day

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It’s very possible he wasn’t bought. Not all prospects are. 

I really don’t have any visibility via my contacts into who is bought and who isn’t, but for what it is worth, I received the impression that Bijan was not bought. I did receive the impression that a particular A&M recruit was. But who knows. It’s all shady. 

I didn’t know Ohio State was playing the game, but it makes sense. I don’t think OU is either to be honest, but I could be wrong. In case anyone hasn’t noticed, the major players are 

Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Oregon, Georgia, Aggy, Auburn, USC

I’m surprised Tennessee hasn’t made a bigger move. 

17 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I didn’t know Ohio State was playing the game, but it makes sense. I don’t think OU is either to be honest, but I could be wrong. In case anyone hasn’t noticed, the major players are 

If it's true Clemson is doing it via the church,  then it doesn't count.

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Tennessee definitely playing the game.  Look at how they closed last years class.

52 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Like the comment Princely.

Urban Meyer is a cunt.

Fuck rust belt state.

I feel like that isn't the only pro-B12 tweet posted from him on here lately. The word was he was down on Texas and trending aggy, but that would seem to be contradictory. OU I guess?

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

So you start off by saying “this is just something I heard”....but then you write this and it makes me think you’re completely full of shit.  

They pay...we pay....everybody pays.  It’s a matter of amount and frequency.

Just trying to provide some interesting info i thought the board would appreciate. You’d be pretty shocked at who provided me these insights. But whatever. We can go back to treating the board like mushrooms and shoveling shit on top of it. Carry on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

I think it’s clear that Herman just hasn’t found his shooters here. How much is left in the wreath fund?