Homemade Ice Cream

NoName

After seeing a handful of Shit I've Cooked posts about ice cream, I decided that it deserves it's own thread for discussion and recipes.

Serious Eats Ice Cream tag'd posts: https://www.seriouseats.com/tags/ice cream

Serious Eats "Best Ice Cream Makers": https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/07/the-best-ice-cream-makers.html#ice

Edited by NoName

Just now, dcbc said:

Love the topic.  May want to see if we can merge the very old and buried thread, which I only remembered existed because  . . . love the topic.

damn. i looked through some threads but got sidetracked by all of the blue bell licking girl and didn't want to go through that many pages so thought i was safe. guess not...

• Like 1

My favorite one to make is this recipe for Mango ice cream from the Menger hotel. So. Damn. Good.

http://robbwalsh.com/2012/08/mango-ice-cream-recipe-from-texas-eats/

52 minutes ago, luke duke said:

Use this in place of vanilla extract to take your ice cream to the next level. Central Market sells it cheaper than Amazon.

Nielsen-Massey Pure Vanilla Bean Paste, with Gift Box, 4 ounces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006OD5ISG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_16KjDbQP4YZPE

I always use the bean paste too and you're right, it's much cheaper at HEB (if you are lucky enough to find one that is open) and is a million times better than the vanilla extract. Plus it looks cooler with the black spots in it.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

My grandmother and then my mom make the absolute best homemade ice cream on the planet.  Starts with a cooked custard, obviously.

Yeah... you gotta make a custard.

For a lot of recipes, I use a vanilla bean custard as the base and then free style it from there. For example, vanilla bean ice cream with cherries and dark chocolate chunks. 

5 hours ago, NoName said:

damn. i looked through some threads but got sidetracked by all of the blue bell licking girl and didn't want to go through that many pages so thought i was safe. guess not...

Wasn't trying to be that guy.  I just remembered the thread because I posted in it early when we moved over here. 

Will make the plug again for the Buy once, Cry once Cuisinart ICE-100 with the built in compressor and the Ultimate Ice Cream Book for recipes.  Not a bad recipe in that book and being able to turn the machine on, hit start, and get perfect ice cream every time is worth the extra money over the years.

Previously have owned a motorized White Mountain and the Cuisinart ICE-20 (Frozen Bowl). 

In any machine, cool your mixture down as much as possible before you freeze. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, formermav43 said:

The key, in my opinion, is to put it in the freezer to let it firm up for several hours after churning. I don’t like the soft serve consistency that most people serve immediately.

I've also discovered, by accident, that it really doesn't need to be in a freezer, which is key if you have a five-quart maker like mine which takes a lot of freezer space.  I just cover mine with a big towel and let it set for an hour or two before we plan on eating it.  Sure is damn hard to wait that long though.

Also, I never liked that re-frozen homemade ice cream never seemed as fresh as first served- kind of freezer-burned and crystallized.  The secret- microwave it for 15 seconds before you dig in.

Let's cut to the chase here because I'm buying a machine and doing this.

What  machine are you all using?  The link above looks like a promo for Cuisinart. LOL. 

This does bring back memories of my childhood when my folks would get out the machine on summer evenings and invite neighbors over.  Mom made some Big Red Ice cream that was awesome and I think she also had a Mexican Vanilla flavor she made on occasion.   

Edited by Nueces River Rat

NoName, you asked about my recipes.

Plain old vanilla- 5 eggs, beat til foamy.  Add two cups of sugar, half a pint of heavy whipping cream, two quarts half-and-half, a teaspoon or so of salt, and 4-5 tablespoons of vanilla, depending on your preference.  You'll probably have to top off with milk.  I have had best results with good farm eggs and good vanilla.

Fruit-  4 or 5 cups chopped fruit (I puree that shit in my blender- ain't nobody got time for chopping) and one cup sugar.  Mix and let stand an hour or two.  Then add 12 oz evaporated milk, one package instant vanilla pudding mix, 14 oz sweetened condensed milk, 4 cups half-and-half.  If using peaches, I add a little bit of cinnamon, and regardless of the fruit used, I have been adding a tablespoon or so of vanilla, even though the recipe doesn't call for it.

• Like 1

Just now, Nueces River Rat said:

What's machine are you all using?  The link above looks like a promo for Cuisinart.

This does bring back memories of my childhood when my folks would get out the machine on summer evenings and invite neighbors over.  Mom made some Big Red Ice cream that was awesome and I think she also had a Mexican Vanilla flavor she made on occasion.   

Mine is a fairly old White Mountain hand-crank machine.  

I can't seem to find good -- or any peach -- ice cream anywhere and it's my absolute favorite. Would love to try my own. I keep hearing things about an ice cream attachment to the stand-up Kitchen Aid mixer but can't seem to find it online. Does such a thing exist? Does that shit work?

C-Man, the most compliments I've received for peach ice cream came when I chopped the peaches into chunks, seemed like the chunks added texture to the ice cream.  These compliments, however, were from people who didn't have their asses on the porch helping me crank.  As mentioned before, in the interest of time and simplicity I puree the peaches, but I do admit that dicing the fruit makes the ice cream better. 

• Like 2

I can't seem to find good -- or any peach -- ice cream anywhere and it's my absolute favorite. Would love to try my own. I keep hearing things about an ice cream attachment to the stand-up Kitchen Aid mixer but can't seem to find it online. Does such a thing exist? Does that shit work?

I made peach ice cream couple days ago and posted it on the other thread. I hear the kitchen aid one works great. Have to freeze the bowl I believe 158515ab7c74a5100d074214eb341ee0.jpgc2535a78149bb9209a507c4258039320.jpg81316a5fb94848a45580b67a71308eb8.jpg0a5c90a0dfaf4d72b414ae8f61e36a20.jpg2c6f331d33b08295c90dedfd4ec72eb4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

What  machine are you all using?  The link above looks like a promo for Cuisinart. LOL. 
Rat

You have decide if you want to go old school like Kenny or something like the cuisinart.

I have a cuisinart 20. You have to freeze the bowl. You plug the bitch in, drop in the frozen bowl, insert the paddle, pour in your cold mix, put the top on and turn on. 25 minutes later you have homemade ice cream.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

thats what i use.  it works.  in fact, it works better than the standalone cuisinart ice cream maker that i replaced with the KA attachment.

will post some recipes of some of the best ones we've done using it, in a while when i can dig them up.  did a roasted strawberry and coconut ice cream and a raspberry sorbet recently that were both awesome.

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

if you want a cheap one, get the Cuisinart Ice 21

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-21-Quart-Frozen-Yogurt-Ice/dp/B003KYSLMW

this is the easiest way to get into the game, and is 100% better than the Stand Mixer attachment in my experience.

///

if you want a more expensive one get the Ice 100

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-100-Compressor-Cream-Gelato/dp/B006UKLUFS

• Like 1

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

@C-Man yes this exists. it is more expensive than the ICE-21 that i ended up getting after fussing with the stand mixer attachment. 

i can't recommend it enough - here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-21-Quart-Frozen-Yogurt-Ice/dp/B003KYSLMW

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

@C-Man yes this exists. it is more expensive than the ICE-21 that i ended up getting after fussing with the stand mixer attachment. 

i can't recommend it enough - here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-21-Quart-Frozen-Yogurt-Ice/dp/B003KYSLMW

Thanks -- gonna try the Kitchen Aid mixer first. Looks like C&B has it on sale for $49.99 (down $30 or so) and we've got quite a bit of store credit there.

5 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

C-Man, the most compliments I've received for peach ice cream came when I chopped the peaches into chunks, seemed like the chunks added texture to the ice cream.  These compliments, however, were from people who didn't have their asses on the porch helping me crank.  As mentioned before, in the interest of time and simplicity I puree the peaches, but I do admit that dicing the fruit makes the ice cream better. 

one more thing, peaches are going to freeze like a motherfucker if you leave it in the freezer for a while.

i recently made peach ice cream using Bravetart's method that basically is dicing peaches, roasting them, then straining them into a saucier and reducing the syrup.

i will post pics maybe tomorrow?

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Thanks -- gonna try the Kitchen Aid mixer first. Looks like C&B has it on sale for $49.99 (down $30 or so) and we've got quite a bit of store credit there.

there you go!

if i was in dallas i would offer to just loan mine to you assuming it would fit your mixer before you purchased it but sadly i am not

23 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

I remember going down to the Navasota river with my grandma and cousins and handcranking homemade peppermint ice cream.  she had the old school wooden bucket with the stainless canister inside with ice and rock salt in between.  great memories.

The rule when I was a kid was if you don't crank then you don't eat.

6 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The reason Cuisinart gets mentioned a lot (I think) is because it tends to hit the sweet spot on bang for the buck.  On the upper end, Whynter also gets good reviews, but is a bit more expensive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Posted a link, but you found it already.

Edited by dcbc

@C-Man make sure to get the right size bowl for the KA mixer, they do make more than one size freezer bowl. I just ordered the KA freezer and should have it before to long, I’m anxious to try it. If it’s no bueno I will bail out to one of the compressor units.  If it does meet expectations I can see buying multiple bowls.

22 minutes ago, Not that Bob said:

Any secret tips to making custard? I could never find the sweet spot between raw egg/scrambled egg. 

dont get the sugar/cream mixture to hot, just warm enough to dissolve sugar then temper slowly into eggs--maybe 1/4 cup at a time. then heat that mixture to 170 while constantly stirring. just coat the back of a spoon. 

• Like 1

I have the Kitchen Aid one as well. It works well. The downsides are that it’s only about 1.5qt and you can only make a batch a day. I guess that you could make 2 batches if you make one 1st thing in the morning and one in the evening.

I was considering this attachment. Good to hear good reviews. On Amazon it looked like a lot of negative reviews due to the bowl leaking it’s blue gel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the small Cuisinart that you put the bowl in the freezer. I'm on a Creamy Creations Mexican Hot Chocolate kick right now, so its a bit dusty. We go through a gallon or so a week of ice cream around the house. A quick and easy recipe that is really good is fill it with a gallon of chocolate milk and about 6-8 crushed up Heath bars. 

CHIEF

• Like 1

I have the small Cuisinart and have been very happy with the results and easy of use. I got this book for my birthday Salt and Straw Cookbook and have made a few recipes, notably the Strawberry Honey Balsamic w/ Black Pepper, Pear and Blue Cheese and a couple more basic flavors.

The book is designed for using home ice cream makers and I like how he sets you up with the base and then work from there. The base is pretty fool proof (re: no eggs to screw up). I typically make a triple batch of the base and then spread out the ice cream making. 

1 hour ago, Dangit said:

I have the small Cuisinart and have been very happy with the results and easy of use. I got this book for my birthday Salt and Straw Cookbook and have made a few recipes, notably the Strawberry Honey Balsamic w/ Black Pepper, Pear and Blue Cheese and a couple more basic flavors.

The book is designed for using home ice cream makers and I like how he sets you up with the base and then work from there. The base is pretty fool proof (re: no eggs to screw up). I typically make a triple batch of the base and then spread out the ice cream making. 

Blue Cheese ice cream?...fucking disgusting.

Edited by BigDHornfan

I rarely eat ice cream, but my kids eat the shit out of it of course.  I have memories as a kid myself eating the homemade vanilla both from hand crank and electric machines and waiting for it to be ready to eat.  So this thread inspired me to order the ICE-21 Cuisinart.  Bowl is in the freezer so first batch will be tomorrow.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PantsTent said:

I rarely eat ice cream, but my kids eat the shit out of it of course.  I have memories as a kid myself eating the homemade vanilla both from hand crank and electric machines and waiting for it to be ready to eat.  So this thread inspired me to order the ICE-21 Cuisinart.  Bowl is in the freezer so first batch will be tomorrow.  

I bought mine off of Facebook Marketplace for either $20 or $25. 

One of those Cuisinart models from 5+ years ago that makes ~1.5 or 2 quarts, can’t remember. 

On 7/11/2019 at 11:27 AM, C-Man said:

I know it sounds crazy, but the 7-11 store brand of peach cobbler ice cream is pretty damn good.