Misguided UofH Business School Dean

Asithappens

Dude is out to lunch.

He (KUHF interview) wants to make the UofH a top 50 B-school within so many years and top 25 sometime after that (can't remember the exact time frame).

Why is he misguided? MBA (full-time) programs are waning, and the UofH simply doesn't have the wherewithal to compete with the big guns. Are they an ok to good school? Probably. But to espouse a top 25 ranking? Bullshit. It's akin to attempting to make a moderately talented high school athlete a top college/pro athlete. Unrealistic and shows a lack of judgment. 

UofH is a regional school (at best). It probably has shed it's Cougar High/commuter school image but top 25 in the US? Really? Go for something more realistic. Provide a good education to locals and produce competent business professionals. You want top 25? Go to UT. 

He just wants to raise some money then hightail it to a better gig. Such is the fate of UofH.

Edited by Asithappens

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Is he supposed to say, “my goal as dean is to ensure that the business school remains mediocre”? What a strange thing to be outraged about.

You sound like a UofH bschool grad.

As if those are the only two options....

10 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Dude is out to lunch.

He (KUHF interview) wants to make the UofH a top 50 B-school within so many years and top 25 sometime after that (can't remember the exact time frame).

Why is he misguided? MBA (full-time) programs are waning, and the UofH simply doesn't have the wherewithal to compete with the big guns. Are they an ok to good school? Probably. But to espouse a top 25 ranking? Bullshit. It's akin to attempting to make a moderately talented high school athlete a top college/pro athlete. Unrealistic and shows a lack of judgment. 

UofH is a regional school (at best). It probably has shed it's Cougar High/commuter school image but top 25 in the US? Really? Go for something more realistic. Provide a good education to locals and produce competent business professionals. You want top 25? Go to UT. 

He just wants to raise some money then hightail it to a better gig. Such is the fate of UofH.

Why do you care? 

• Like 1

I know it’s supposed to matter, but in reality as long as you network for the job you want it really doesn’t.

csb: I went to McCombs and haven’t looked or talked about rankings since before I was accepted.  

15 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Dude is out to lunch.

MBAs are going through somewhat of an identity crisis these days.  It's essentially repackaged undergrad material facilitated and applied in a real world setting with peers actively engaged in the workforce with real situational stories to apply what is being taught.  This is why most programs want you to wait a few years after undergrad - so you actually have something to contribute to the discussions.  You learn so much more from your peers than the professor.  

It's also a box to check.  If I could do it all over again, I'd supplement the biz school with more econ and roll right into a masters of finance (which in my line I'd use a hell of a lot more).  In Texas, there are really only two choices for "top" programs:  Texas and Rice, and it's not even close.  SMU's ranking are high, but I've never been impressed with their program or graduates.  A&M...meh.  UTD...not too bad honestly.  Then there's everyone else.  So to spend what they cost these days (60-80K) is absurd for a lower tiered program.  UH would be smart to emulate Rice and target the O&G crowd.  Get their spillover students and go form there.  Specialize (as Baylor is doing with Healthcare/MBA packaging).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The Dean of the UH business school wants to make the UH business school better? 

The horror 

Fuck that monster. Give me a pitchfork 

Maybe I'd settle for Top 50 and spend the rest of the donations I pitched for oh really good looking hookers and prime blow.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The Dean of the UH business school wants to make the UH business school better? 

The horror 

Fuck that monster. Give me a pitchfork 

Then why not just say that?

Why go through the bullshit of  saying he's going to make it top 25?

This is the type of crap that needs to be called out, imo. 

Hits close to home, UofH Business School grad here. #gocoogs 

that message is what I would expect from a Khator hire, whether it be the business school dean or head football coach. She expects results. She’s a driver 

#csb - Latha Ramchand (previous bschool dean) hosted an event at her house. 4 of us were drinking on her back patio when the caterers come out and were surprised people were still there. Turns out the party had ended and the place emptied out. Ramchand came down in a robe to tell us bye and thank us for attending. She joked that if we lingered long enough she’d have breakfast ready soon. She was a damn great host, and a better dean.

#csb2 - energy21 was the biggest group of douchebags I’ve ever been around and I’ve been around many douche bags in the o/g business. I remember telling one that night they’d be under in two years. I was drunk and full of shit but was seeing the future that night 

#csb3 - UofH has built up a nice little business school. Very solid alumni network, that’s young, diverse and growing. They have the profs and leadership to be top50. All it takes is money and keep feeding the machine high quality students. 

zero regrets on my mba choice and they more than nailed my salary growth, post mba. I was very impressed with the quality of instructors. 

My mba class was majority female and majority non whites. When you walk around the business school, you see a very diverse student body, it’s very houston 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Asithappens said:

Is this a sock? Am I getting punk’d? Where’s Ashton?

1 hour ago, Asithappens said:

Because it's measurable.  Just throwing out "hey, our goal is to be better" isn't specific.  Yeah, UofH isn't the best school, but props to the guy for setting specific goals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

that message is what I would expect from a Khator hire, whether it be the business school dean or head football coach. She expects results. She’s a driver 

#csb - Latha Ramchand (previous bschool dean) hosted an event at her house. 4 of us were drinking on her back patio when the caterers come out and were surprised people were still there. Turns out the party had ended and the place emptied out. Ramchand came down in a robe to tell us bye and thank us for attending. She joked that if we lingered long enough she’d have breakfast ready soon. She was a damn great host, and a better dean.

#csb2 - energy21 was the biggest group of douchebags I’ve ever been around and I’ve been around many douche bags in the o/g business. I remember telling one that night they’d be under in two years. I was drunk and full of shit but was seeing the future that night 

#csb3 - UofH has built up a nice little business school. Very solid alumni network, that’s young, diverse and growing. They have the profs and leadership to be top50. All it takes is money and keep feeding the machine high quality students. 

zero regrets on my mba choice and they more than nailed my salary growth, post mba. I was very impressed with the quality of instructors. 

My mba class was majority female and majority non whites. When you walk around the business school, you see a very diverse student body, it’s very houston 

I thought this was heading somewhere...I am disappointed.

2 hours ago, Asithappens said:

Actually sounds like you would benefit from a MBA program with a concentration in marketing. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Asithappens said:

When Brady Hoke interviewed to become the Head Coach at San Diego State, the President of SDSU asked him about his career goals.  Hoke said "I want to be Head Coach at Michigan".  Strange thing for a guy to say when he's interviewing for a Mountain West job.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Started at #? now look where we are...

No complaints here re: UofH MBA's, they've served my family well.

IMO, that’s the whole point. Do your research and cost benefit then make the decision. I went to UT Austin and it’s served me well, but I’ve worked with MBA’s from the top all the way through the unranked and I honestly don’t think any of that ever comes up.  

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

because he strives for better?  

every successor to any job should just say the following:

Hi, I am (name inserted).  My goal is to keep the status quo.  Thank you.  Good night.

Several years back, my department was interviewing for a new department chair.  One of our law professors interviewed and he told the dean when asked what he thought needed to be changed, "Our department is stuck in a rut.  But it's a good rut. I like the rut." 

Spoiler

He did not get the job.

18 minutes ago, SDG said:

IMO, that’s the whole point. Do your research and cost benefit then make the decision. I went to UT Austin and it’s served me well, but I’ve worked with MBA’s from the top all the way through the unranked and I honestly don’t think any of that ever comes up.  

I pretty much agree. Over a 40+ year career in a particular field? In large part it's all going to end up being on the individual as to what becomes of them. If you're ambitious and motivated to do the work necessary...there's a good chance you'll go places. If you're not, you'll most likely get what you deserve. JMHO but I think going to one of the top schools is a bit like joining a frat. You make connections and maybe have an advantage out of the gate, but once the bullets start flying you find out who's made of what.

BIL just retired recently, he got his undergrad at TTech, MBA at UofH, worked in hospital administration. Eventually got his PhD and was CEO of a fair sized hospital the last 15 years. Nothing wrong with that. One of his sons is following the exact same path. He's 37 and with some assistance and connections from his dad is moving right on up but on his own now. He ain't bitchin' about where he got his MBA, lol.

11 hours ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Key metric is to pipeline new grads into $100k a year jobs within 90 days of graduation.

Every MBA I know was 130-150k types looking to get bumped into the 2’s.  Is it really that common for trying to break into six figures (fuck your Hamm) to spend another 100k on an MBA? 

21 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

19 hours ago, 83Horn said:

I thought this was heading somewhere...I am disappointed.

Ditto. No wizard hat. 

I did the part time MBA in Houston.  In hindsight, I wish I’d bitten the bullet and gone full time.  The part time program is basically a money grab by the University.  The program was fairly decent, though very vanilla, but the biggest problem was all the recruiting happened in Austin.

Some folks organized some flag football games between the various part time programs in Houston.  The first time it was Rice, UT, and Tulane.  Everybody had a great time.  The second time, someone asked UofH to join.  Some of the UofH kids came with massive chips on their shoulders.  There was one guy who tried to convince anyone that would listen that UofH was the best part time program.  Later, several of the UofH guys got in an argument with the refs that nearly got physical.  Suffice it to say, UofH was not invited back for the third time.

31 minutes ago, rtchorn said:

There was one guy who tried to convince anyone that would listen that UofH was the best part time program.  Later, several of the UofH guys got in an argument with the refs that nearly got physical.  Suffice it to say, UofH was not invited back for the third time.

I didn’t realize Tillman Fertitta got his MBA that recently. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Every MBA I know was 130-150k types looking to get bumped into the 2’s.  Is it really that common for trying to break into six figures (fuck your Hamm) to spend another 100k on an MBA? 

Much cheaper to just change companies 

59 minutes ago, rtchorn said:

I did the part time MBA in Houston.  In hindsight, I wish I’d bitten the bullet and gone full time.  The part time program is basically a money grab by the University.  The program was fairly decent, though very vanilla, but the biggest problem was all the recruiting happened in Austin.

Some folks organized some flag football games between the various part time programs in Houston.  The first time it was Rice, UT, and Tulane.  Everybody had a great time.  The second time, someone asked UofH to join.  Some of the UofH kids came with massive chips on their shoulders.  There was one guy who tried to convince anyone that would listen that UofH was the best part time program.  Later, several of the UofH guys got in an argument with the refs that nearly got physical.  Suffice it to say, UofH was not invited back for the third time.

Good story. For the most part, I don’t think the actual education varies that much between schools.  The instructions and textbooks aren’t that much different if not identical.  It’s up to the person to decide what they learn. The Good Will Hunting scene is even more relevant today in that you can duplicate any college program with a library card, or in today’s world access to the internet. 

for me, my mba program was fully check the box. Relatively inexpensive and I did learn and applied some knowledge in my job. But it wasn’t anything that I couldn't  have learned on my own if I wanted. The program just forced me to learn it. 

Now the other classmates can make a difference to your career especially if many of them help each other out with jobs, contacts, etc.  it’s a good safety net.

The UT part time program is especially lean. In terms of course hours, it’s about 1/3 less hours than full time and they don’t offer any electives or areas of focus.  Rice’s part time program is significantly more robust.  The roots of the UT Houston program was Exxon paying UT professors come do on site training, so it’s not all that surprising the program feels more like a long training course.  It’s probably the strongest MBA program for oilfield networking; ~70% of my classmates were O&G.  But like I said, it was the fact recruiting was mostly done in Austin which is my regret about not going full time.  That is an advantage that the Rice and Houston programs have being local.  But McKenzie and Goldman are not recruiting UofH. 

Edited by rtchorn

The new UofH dean is a Rice grad... That should tell you something 😉.

But seriously-I think the UH MBA is probably great if your company (that you want to stay at) is just requiring you to “check the box.” As other posters have echoed, the actual MBA academic content isn’t too different between schools. It’s all about the network and what companies recruit there-in that regard, it falls short. 

Is the ut part time program 100% ut profs ? How much industry experience did they have ?

u of h program had instructors from top 5 o/g companies. All 3 were great. I know they asked at least one student to come discuss jobs with their companies. I passed, was tired of being a project manager. Several of the u of h profs brought a ton of experience to the table. It was a good mix of real world experience and academics. 

We had one ut prof and one from u of Indiana, in our rotation 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1