Wives and the Stupid Shit They Say/Do

Spur08

17 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ok, I need to know if I'm being the asshole here because the wife certainly thinks I am.

We went on a trip with friends to wine country last weekend.  Us plus two other couples, so 6 people total.  We rented a 3BR airbnb and my wife and I fronted the cost.  I figured out the money owed today (one couple only stayed 2 nights instead of 3, so it wasn't all the same).  My wife is now saying that since we chose the "refundable" amount when we booked, which was about $300 more than the non-refundable amount, that we should eat that extra $300.

To me, choosing the refundable amount was a) the smart thing to do and b) also was to the benefit of everyone on the trip, if we had had to cancel last minute for some reason.

The amounts that I calculated were splitting the total cost of the airbnb, including that $300.

Am I wrong?

The cost is the cost.  Everyone agreed upfront.  No you are not wrong.  If someone had to cancel would you be eating their part alone?  Yep.  So they should be splitting it too

• Hook 'Em 6

20 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Ok, I need to know if I'm being the asshole here because the wife certainly thinks I am.

We went on a trip with friends to wine country last weekend.  Us plus two other couples, so 6 people total.  We rented a 3BR airbnb and my wife and I fronted the cost.  I figured out the money owed today (one couple only stayed 2 nights instead of 3, so it wasn't all the same).  My wife is now saying that since we chose the "refundable" amount when we booked, which was about $300 more than the non-refundable amount, that we should eat that extra $300.

To me, choosing the refundable amount was a) the smart thing to do and b) also was to the benefit of everyone on the trip, if we had had to cancel last minute for some reason.

The amounts that I calculated were splitting the total cost of the airbnb, including that $300.

Am I wrong?

NTA.  Divorce the wife, bang the other two wives, kill their husbands.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Am I wrong?

Hell no, what if someone bailed on you? You were already being too nice not splitting it evenly, wasn't your fault that couple only stayed 2 nights 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Am I wrong?

You are right.  Imagine they paid you their share up front and you paid the cancelation fee separately.  If the trip was canceled and they knew you got your money back for the total cost would they expect to get a refund?  Of course, because the three couples were equal partners in this and that includes liabilities etc.

And if the 2 night couple did not make it clear upfront they were only doing 2 nights they should be paying a 1/3 share.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, ABSR said:

You are right.  Imagine they paid you their share up front and you paid the cancelation fee separately.  If the trip was canceled and they knew you got your money back for the total cost would they expect to get a refund?  Of course, because the three couples were equal partners in this and that includes liabilities etc.

And if the 2 night couple did not make it clear upfront they were only doing 2 nights they should be paying a 1/3 share.

Yeah, the 2 night couple was known from the beginning. Plus they live there and let us borrow one of their cars instead of having to rent one. So they are by far in the clear.

It is just the $300 that I’m concerned about. I know I’m right. I honestly think the wife’s concern is her friend is always complaining about money (even though she has plenty), so wife doesn’t want to hit her with a big number to pay. 

Um, too fucking bad I say. 

I didn't realize “refundable vs non-refundable” was a thing. I figured that was why they offered travel insurance as an add-on.

I fronted our last beach trip AirBNB and the other dad showed up with an envelope full of Benjamins and my beef with him was why couldn't he just zelle me like an adult.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, the 2 night couple was known from the beginning. Plus they live there and let us borrow one of their cars instead of having to rent one. So they are by far in the clear.

It is just the $300 that I’m concerned about. I know I’m right. I honestly think the wife’s concern is her friend is always complaining about money (even though she has plenty), so wife doesn’t want to hit her with a big number to pay

Um, too fucking bad I say. 

$100 is a big number?  And you're absolutely right, should be split equally 3 ways, or 2/8, 3/8, 3/8 for the 2 night couple 

1 minute ago, Not a cat said:

$100 is a big number?  And you're absolutely right, should be split equally 3 ways, or 2/8, 3/8, 3/8 for the 2 night couple 

That’s exactly my point. The split with the $300 is like 1350 vs 1250 without, so I don’t know why the wife is putting up such a fuss about it.  The only reason I can think is the one whiny friend. This is the same person who lived with us for a few months who would look at me like I shot her dog when I asked to to pay her share of the bills. 

For me, it’s the principle.  The $300 was part of the fucking cost which all three parties agreed to split. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

I didn't realize “refundable vs non-refundable” was a thing. I figured that was why they offered travel insurance as an add-on.

I fronted our last beach trip AirBNB and the other dad showed up with an envelope full of Benjamins and my beef with him was why couldn't he just zelle me like an adult.

It’s become a thing on Airbnb within the past year or so.  

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

That’s exactly my point. The split with the $300 is like 1350 vs 1250 without, so I don’t know why the wife is putting up such a fuss about it.  The only reason I can think is the one whiny friend. This is the same person who lived with us for a few months who would look at me like I shot her dog when I asked to to pay her share of the bills. 

For me, it’s the principle.  The $300 was part of the fucking cost which all three parties agreed to split. 

You're 100% correct but how much is that $200 you're gonna collect worth to you?  I know it's the principle but it looks like that 200 is going to cost you a lot of pussy down the road. 

To be clear I'd tell her cheap ass freeloading friend to suck it and pay up, but then I'm divorced so maybe not the best source.  Think of me as the George Costanza of happy marriages.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

I think it all depends on what all of the couples originally agreed to.  If you told them what the cost was and included the fee then they should pay their share of the fee.  If the fee was not included when they agreed to the cost then you should pay the fee.  If the cost was not properly communicated beforehand that is on you as the person paying.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Budkudzu said:

Follow up:

She :   Why it the thermostat set at 78? 

Me:      It’s set at 73.  You're looking at the temp.  It 78 because of the oven and the outside temp.

She:     I’ll turn down the thermostat

Has she put the fan on HIGH as well?  

17 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Am I wrong?

If someone *might* make a fuss about splitting a fee like that- I’m not going to invite them on vacation with me. I don’t have the patience or the energy to have drama over that sort of thing 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

If someone *might* make a fuss about splitting a fee like that- I’m not going to invite them on vacation with me. I don’t have the patience or the energy to have drama over that sort of thing 

That is pretty much what I have decided going forward.  It's sad because she's been a friend for like 20 years, but she's just getting more and more bitter as she gets older.  Doesn't bring anything to the table.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Not a cat said:

We’ve been the short-term couple, and have always requested an equal split. Not everyone else’s fault we showed up late or left early. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Budkudzu said:

Follow up:

She :   Why it the thermostat set at 78? 

Me:      It’s set at 73.  You're looking at the temp.  It 78 because of the oven and the outside temp.

She:     I’ll turn down the thermostat

There isn't a woman on the planet that knows how thermostats work. Had a discussion with mine the other day for the 15000th  time. Setting it lower isn't going to make it cool any faster, and by the way if it's 105 degrees outside it's not going to be comfortable regardless so  just fucking deal with it. 

Other times when it's not so hot, she'll turn off the ceiling fan in her office and have a blanket on her lap, but the AC is running... what in the actual fuck ???!!! 

• Like 1

and by the way if it's 105 degrees outside it's not going to be comfortable regardless so  just fucking deal with it. 

Wth kind of rinky dink AC do you have? I can get my house to 70 here in Phoenix if I want, which no don’t. But it stays at 75 no probably. And no I dgaf about the bill when it’s 115 outside.
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Wth kind of rinky dink AC do you have? I can get my house to 70 here in Phoenix if I want, which no don’t. But it stays at 75 no probably. And no I dgaf about the bill when it’s 115 outside.

Hell if I know. An upstairs and a downstairs...?  If it's set at 77 during the day it's not running too much but if I move it to 75 it may never stop

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

sounds like y'all need new friends

• Like 2

2 hours ago, txhorns said:

Exactly this, wives shouldn’t get a bank account.

My friend was married for 15 years; wife insisted on separate accounts. My friend insisted on a joint account for house/bills/kids stuff they would add to equally. Problem was the wife never put jack shit in the joint account, and always had excuses (need this $500 outfit, I just got a pay cut at work, you make so much more than me, etc). So my friend is paying for 95% of the house/bills/kids stuff for 15 years. Then divorce, because she was a lying, cheating whore. During the divorce settlement paperwork phase, he discovers she has been lying to him for 10+ years about her salary; she had loads of money.

She still got almost half his shit.

In summation, fuck wives and marriage.

• Rage+1 7

9 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

That is pretty much what I have decided going forward.  It's sad because she's been a friend for like 20 years, but she's just getting more and more bitter as she gets older.  Doesn't bring anything to the table.

Yup, keep her out of anymore couple vacations. If your wife wants to keep up with her, then she can go on girl trips with her and live with her tight ass bullshit.  It is perfectly acceptable for you to veto trips with her. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

didn't he get half of hers? Or did he have real shitty lawyers? I'm confused because she had assets and income outside of the marriage that she was hiding and she didn't have to give him half of that? Seriously, fuck shitty lawyers.

I meant she had been making plenty of money over the years, not that she had millions in cash in her account. Her income went to gift shopping, clothes, shoes, makeup, dinners out and trips to Mexico with her girlfriends; pretty much anywhere besides their joint account. And she made sure her account was near empty before she served him with divorce papers. Their house was paid off early, which she got half of, despite the fact she had contributed less than 2% of the payments towards it. Gotta love Texas divorce.

IMO, he had a shitty lawyer too, but not a lot he could do besides demand half her clothes/makeup/shoes. They didn't have some enforceable legal agreement stating she was liable to pay for half the rent/bills/kids stuff every month. And she never would have agreed to sign one (or a pre-nup).

On 7/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, burntorangebongos said:

Yup, keep her out of anymore couple vacations. If your wife wants to keep up with her, then she can go on girl trips with her and live with her tight ass bullshit.  It is perfectly acceptable for you to veto trips with her. 

Bad idea. If the friend is that cheap she won't pay 100 no telling what she is going to get Ms Biff Tannen to pay for. Ms BT will end up covering the hotel and all meals and the friend will cover the Uber from the airport to the hotel and back.

On 7/29/2023 at 4:03 AM, rage-a-holic said:

I meant she had been making plenty of money over the years, not that she had millions in cash in her account. Her income went to gift shopping, clothes, shoes, makeup, dinners out and trips to Mexico with her girlfriends; pretty much anywhere besides their joint account. And she made sure her account was near empty before she served him with divorce papers. Their house was paid off early, which she got half of, despite the fact she had contributed less than 2% of the payments towards it. Gotta love Texas divorce.

IMO, he had a shitty lawyer too, but not a lot he could do besides demand half her clothes/makeup/shoes. They didn't have some enforceable legal agreement stating she was liable to pay for half the rent/bills/kids stuff every month. And she never would have agreed to sign one (or a pre-nup).

Was she doing the taxes and he didn't ever look at the returns? I know to the penny how much my wife makes because I do the taxes.

56 minutes ago, royiv said:

Was she doing the taxes and he didn't ever look at the returns? I know to the penny how much my wife makes because I do the taxes.

I think she got half price or free tax services from H&R Block through her job (or that's what she told him anyway). He does all his taxes by hand.