Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

17 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

If that dude isn't careful he's going to be processed. He's not good enough to be playing the games he seems to like to play.

i mean, i get you saying that but he is the #150 composite national guy (#29 in Texas) and 247's #149 guy (#27)

i mean is he THAT good? no, but let's not act like he is Charles Wright or Max Merril

43 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

These people are mentally fucked 

So I guess according to that logic, RC was their Mack?

And this:

This isn’t based on anything I’ve seen or heard, I just really want it to happen.

...basically sums up how every aggie in the history of aggiedom has felt about every Longhorn coach in history.

Edited by Orange&White

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i mean, i get you saying that but he is the #150 composite national guy (#29 in Texas) and 247's #149 guy (#27)

i mean is he THAT good? no, but let's not act like he is Charles Wright or Max Merril

He is very overrated and absolutely could get processed esp if aggy really does get back in with Humphrey (both Texas and aggy should've been on him from the start). If Taylor's dad wasn't who he is (and he is an especially squeaky wheel at that) he would be a 3-star FS. Judge for yourself, because even in his highlights you see him with multiple PIs when he's in coverage and multiple muffed punts and kicks. He plays very off, facing the ball and the Katy DL is constantly in the opposing backfield pressuring the QB so this is pretty much his ceiling as a player.  Not to mention his dad is a massive pain in the ass.  To me he's not unlike Arjei Henderson, who at one point was the #16 player in the country and got processed repeatedly. Taylor helped to seal the deal with Sylla and be a vocal asset but once they were in the fold he's the most expendable of the group - just like Wease (and other TTE kids) and Henderson. 

HUDL :: 

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Efp8y

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

He is very overrated and absolutely could get processed esp if aggy really does get back in with Humphrey (both Texas and aggy should've been on him from the start). If Taylor's dad wasn't who he is (and he is an especially squeaky wheel at that) he would be a 3-star FS. Judge for yourself, because even in his highlights you see him with multiple PIs when he's in coverage and multiple muffed punts and kicks. He plays very off, facing the ball and the Katy DL is constantly in the opposing backfield pressuring the QB so this is pretty much his ceiling as a player.  Not to mention his dad is a massive pain in the ass.  To me he's not unlike Arjei Henderson, who at one point was the #16 player in the country and got processed repeatedly. Taylor helped to seal the deal with Sylla and be a vocal asset but once they were in the fold he's the most expendable of the group - just like Wease (and other TTE kids) and Henderson. 

HUDL :: 

http://www.hudl.com/v/2Efp8y

i agree on all of those fronts, i think if he was a rando then yea, he would potentially get processed - just don't think he is in a position where it happens?

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

He won as much as Herman.  Who if I recall, was fired for underperforming. 

Same Herman who went in dry on him and his FSU team full of 4* and 5* kids in the Peach Bowl with a JV coaching staff and 2/3 star players.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Looch had to pull this post, so one can surmise Pravda accidentally got a little too truthful. Also both big Texas state schools having shitty WR rooms is just sad.

E9kYGQ0XoAsVVYz?format=jpg&name=smallE9kYGhtWUAQrWUz?format=jpg&name=smallE9kYGz6XMAMNKPx?format=jpg&name=small

Wait, is he saying they’re starting Foster at Center with a true freshman as his backup? How do they not have a single non-true freshman who can start at Center? There’s no way Foster would be ready to start, even at guard. His technique in HS was horrible, and I don’t think he’s ever played Center before. 

Man, TR FR Foster snapping to second year noodle arm King is a truly horrible combo for them. 

Both Foster and Fatheree were high upside takes while needed a lot of work. If both of those guys are starting, they’re in big trouble. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Wait, is he saying they’re starting Foster at Center with a true freshman as his backup? How do they not have a single non-true freshman who can start at Center? There’s no way Foster would be ready to start, even at guard. His technique in HS was horrible, and I don’t think he’s ever played Center before. 

Man, TR FR Foster snapping to second year noodle arm King is a truly horrible combo for them. 

Both Foster and Fatheree were high upside takes while needed a lot of work. If both of those guys are starting, they’re in big trouble. 

Wasn't Smart Chibuzo getting reps at Center at one time?  

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I just checked and Foster wasn’t even an early enrollee, so they’re going to start a raw TR FR who got there in May and has never played center before. Holy shit that is bad. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I just checked and Foster wasn’t even an early enrollee, so they’re going to start a raw TR FR who got there in May and has never played center before. Holy shit that is bad. 

Tennessee transfer must not be showing much if Fatheree is getting reps over him.

via Tarp's article about the youth movement ::

at practice last week here was the first five:

LT - Fatheree

LG - Ogunbiyi

C - Wykoff

RG - Robinson

RT - Green

Foster was the second unit center. Trainor was a second unit tackle.

Thus, the Aggies have gone from a passable 40 starts from the group in college ball to Green's 23, all of which came on the interior. 

entire write-up here ::

Spoiler

Texas A&M is seeing a youth movement on the offensive line where three true freshmen have gotten reps with the first unit during fall camp: tackle Reuben Fatheree and interior players Bryce Foster and Matthew Wykoff. Fatheree is 6-feet-8 and also played basketball in high school so he's good feet for the position. Foster is a state shot put champion with unique explosion for his massive size. Wykoff has a big lower body and has worked at center since his arrival as an early enrollee and started the spring game where he held his own versus some of the nation's better defensive linemen.

The movement is a product of two issues: their talent and the fact that A&M doesn't have a lot of depth up front. Let's look at why at least one member of the group could make their way into the lineup for opening day and at least one other could follow suit at some point during the season.

After the Aggies landed Tennessee graduate transfer Jahmir Johnson earlier in the year, here was the consensus best possible lineup that the Aggies could open the 2021 season with.

LT - Kenyon Green (consensus 2020 All American, 23 starts at guard)

LG - Aki Ogunbiyi (former four star)

C - Luke Matthews (father is NFL Hall of Famer Bruce, brothers include multiple A&M starters)

RG - Layden Robinson (road grader body)

RT - Jahmir Johnson (17 starts at Tennessee in three seasons)

However, that particular lineup has never materialized for various reasons. Matthews missed the 2020 season due to injury and despite being termed as healthy by people in the program hasn't been a 100% participant in workouts, especially contact work. Johnson didn't arrive on campus until the summer and wasn't an all-SEC caliber player with the Vols. The right side of A&M's lineup (which included Blake Trainor at tackle for Johnson) struggled in the spring game.

Thus, the last time the group trotted themselves out for public photographs at practice last week here was the first five:

LT - Fatheree

LG - Ogunbiyi

C - Wykoff

RG - Robinson

RT - Green

Foster was the second unit center. Trainor was a second unit tackle.

Thus, the Aggies have gone from a passable 40 starts from the group in college ball to Green's 23, all of which came on the interior. 

There's a tendency to divide everything into a glass half full or empty mentality based on one specific view of events as opposed to a body of work, especially when it's important to make sure someone else loses an internet argument with you. As a result, let's have some perspective on the group.

- You often have to recruit 15 to 20 offensive linemen over the course of four recruiting classes to find four to five guys that can play at a certain level. That means a guy you can run behind, three who are functional, and one who is the focal point of defensive coaches seeking to attack your protections.

- You also would like to find a sixth guy for the interior and a seventh to play tackle. The reality usually is that one guy comes off of the bench and there's shuffling to move other starters around to other positions.

- The most important aspects of offensive line play are communication and the ability to stay in front of people. If you can do those things, then you target the right defenders and they don't get penetration so that you can consistently generate gains and even some chunk plays.

- Because, of those items, experience and continuity become important factors in determining how well the group functions. Playing younger, less physically mature players who don't completely understand their own schemes, opposing fronts, and technique can be liabilities and their one missed assignment can blow up an entire play. If you can't communicate pass rush stunts with the guy next to you or certain types of blocks (combo blocks where there's a double team of a defender and one blocker comes off of the defender to get to the backer at the second level) then plays get stopped before they get started.

We talk about run fits and gap control on defense...backers and linemen being where they are supposed to be and flowing in unison so that there's essentially no running lanes..and offensive lines are a mirror image of that philosophy.

- Playing a freshman who's more talented than someone already in the pipeline doesn't have to be a significant issue. People point to defending national champion Alabama being able to play at a high level in recent years up front while starting freshmen. From a physical standpoint, a freshman can hold their own...not as much as you would like perhaps but enough to have a functional or even a very good unit.

However, the Tide also usually has four experienced players up front with the rookie who can help him know where he needs to be, who he needs to target, and thus limit his liabilities. If you've got one experienced player with three others who are starting for the first time and are getting their feet wet as starters as well, then you're going to have times where they can't cover for them or help them out as much as you would like.

- For A&M, Fatheree, Foster, and Wykoff have the requisite size to play as freshmen and hold their own. The issues are going to be in terms of blocking the right people and dealing with athleticism they're not used to seeing in high school. For example, if Matthews can't go at the center position, then having a true frosh make line calls in a sophisticated offense in conjunction with an inexperienced quarterback may not be optimal.

- Nonetheless, even if A&M doesn't trot out a true freshman to open the season up front, there's not much margin for error on the part of some of the projected starters due to availability and their own quality of play to keep that from eventually happening. There's simply too much at stake for a team that has the talent and schedule to make a run at the SEC West title and a national title not to get one of them out there if they're one of your five best up front and have them learn on the job before the Alabama game on October 9.

- Finally, this group has to find something it can hang its hat on. Last season's lineup could run inside zone with two great run blocking guards that could combine with the people beside them to drive first level defenders into the second level and pick up everyone in pass pro. When combined with  a three year starter at quarterback who could keep them out of bad plays, it translated into a team that gained good yardage on first downs and stayed out of third and long situations. With different ingredients in 2021, A&M may have to compensate for its youth up front via its play calling and even ask others to sacrifice what they do best for the offense as a whole to keep the chains moving and score enough points to get keep on the front burner for a CFP berth.

25 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Tennessee transfer must not be showing much if Fatheree is getting reps over him.

johnson (transfer) isn't all that great. would like to say now that fatheree is going to be a first rounder, the question is going to be how quick he plays like it. 

46 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Was their OL pretty good last year?