2019 Texas injury and illness

Magus Ossis

I realize that if D Young is healthy you have to play him given the state of the RB room, but you'd hate to rush him back and aggravate the ankle against Rice. Hopefully he just gets a couple series to shake the cobwebs off and gets out of there no worse for the wear.

15 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I realize that if D Young is healthy you have to play him given the state of the RB room, but you'd hate to rush him back and aggravate the ankle against Rice. Hopefully he just gets a couple series to shake the cobwebs off and gets out of there no worse for the wear.

Just as bad if you get RJ/Ingram hurt against Rice because SOMEONE has to get the reps. 

He he can go let him. (Assuming he is actually cleared and not a wink wink situation between Dr and HEad Coach)

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Just as bad if you get RJ/Ingram hurt against Rice because SOMEONE has to get the reps. 

He he can go let him. (Assuming he is actually cleared and not a wink wink situation between Dr and HEad Coach)

Yeah, I'm not arguing against that. All hands on deck in this situation. Just lamenting the bad luck out loud I guess.

15 hours ago, Machinator said:

Overshown:  Stress reaction at vertebrae.  Out for RICE game and week to week per Herman's comments after Thursday practice.  (Said they caught it early)

With bye week after Okie Lite, hope they sit Overshown for Okie Lite too.  From what I have read on stress reactions of vertebrae, even returning for WVa game night be a little too aggressive??

Hope @Magus Ossis weighs in...

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Overshown:  Stress reaction at vertebrae.  Out for RICE game and week to week per Herman's comments after Thursday practice.  (Said they caught it early)

With bye week after Okie Lite, hope they sit Overshown for Okie Lite too.  From what I have read on stress reactions of vertebrae, even returning for WVa game night be a little too aggressive??

I'm no doctor but I did go through this specific injury back in the day. How long you're out mostly depends on severity. In the short term, rest, removing as much pressure/strain on the impacted area as possible, and a fuckton of NSAIDs. Once you regain the ability to move normally without pain (anywhere from a few days to weeks), some flexibility/core work to make sure you have the proper strength to handle football activities. The problem with these isn't necessarily the injury itself (though it is painful and it does really restrict your movement in the short term), it's the fact that it makes recurring herniated disc issues more likely going forward. High likelihood of aggravation if you rush back. You really have to baby it.

I'd wager WVU is actually a pretty realistic target in my experience. OSU not totally out of the question but not exactly likely.

Edited by gmr548

My hope is Watson gets significant action against Rice, and opens the coaches' eyes enough to get a few snaps against OSU.  Wallace will have a field day on us regardless, but the sooner Watson gets trust from the staff, the sooner we can field a corner with the physical tools to one day match up decently with Wallace, Lamb, Wease, Hazelwood etc. ESPECIALLY when it comes to playing the ball in the air.  

3 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

My hope is Watson gets significant action against Rice, and opens the coaches' eyes enough to get a few snaps against OSU.  Wallace will have a field day on us regardless, but the sooner Watson gets trust from the staff, the sooner we can field a corner with the physical tools to one day match up decently with Wallace, Lamb, Wease, Hazelwood etc. ESPECIALLY when it comes to playing the ball in the air.  

This has nothing to do with Watson, but is Kobe Boyce actually better than Cook or have I missed something.

Just now, ckhorn said:

I saw it also. Also seen a lot more of Boyce than I was expecting. Cook was pretty much our 3rd corner at the end of last year.

Cook's the worst data point in the "is JWash bad at coaching" debate. I'm willing to say Boyce might just be bad, and JGreen is making regular youth mistakes, but Cook has clearly gotten worse.

Way too much overthinking going on in the secondary, and Cook is no exception.  Flashbacks of Will Grier running for the corner and Cook freezes ball watching in the end zone while JaMarr Chase literally runs a circle around him.  As a fan I need to see more than that to desire to see the guy starting.  He's backing up Green anyway and I think it should stay that way for now.  Jamison over Boyce should be the discussion if there's gonna be any leapfrogging on the depth chart.

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I'm no doctor but I did go through this specific injury back in the day. How long you're out mostly depends on severity. In the short term, rest, removing as much pressure/strain on the impacted area as possible, and a fuckton of NSAIDs. Once you regain the ability to move normally without pain (anywhere from a few days to weeks), some flexibility/core work to make sure you have the proper strength to handle football activities. The problem with these isn't necessarily the injury itself (though it is painful and it does really restrict your movement in the short term), it's the fact that it makes recurring herniated disc issues more likely going forward. High likelihood of aggravation if you rush back. You really have to baby it.

I'd wager WVU is actually a pretty realistic target in my experience. OSU not totally out of the question but not exactly likely.

Stress reactions are like stress fractures that haven’t happened yet. It is a curious diagnosis to make in someone who was subjected to high forces on the bone in question. True stress injury is from repeated normal loading too frequently to allow healthy remodeling. Stress fractures manifest more often when guys are resuming or ramping up activity after periods of relative inactivity. Whether this is traumatic microfracture or stress reaction either way, he is out a few weeks until he has no pain or tenderness. Stress injuries occasionally linger a long time. Best case is 2-3 weeks but worst is done for the season, IF it is stress. My guess more likely there is a traumatic component, out about a month.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Stress reactions are like stress fractures that haven’t happened yet. It is a curious diagnosis to make in someone who was subjected to high forces on the bone in question. True stress injury is from repeated normal loading too frequently to allow healthy remodeling. Stress fractures manifest more often when guys are resuming or ramping up activity after periods of relative inactivity. Whether this is traumatic microfracture or stress reaction either way, he is out a few weeks until he has no pain or tenderness. Stress injuries occasionally linger a long time. Best case is 2-3 weeks but worst is done for the season, IF it is stress. My guess more likely there is a traumatic component, out about a month.

Thanks @Magus Ossis

Just seems like WVa is best case scenario for Overshown.  May even be better to wait additional week and maybe return for blOU...

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The Ossai injury news sucks. Hopefully, it isn’t serious. I don’t think the Shack injury is serious at all. He was moving around well after the game. 

This is just your normal Satya being a bitch. 

Sounds like a title to a song...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Also, I'm not totally sure we aren't better off with Kerstetter at center and Okafor at RT. It was Rice but Okafor looked a lot better in pass pro than I expected. I think Kerstetter > Shack at center. We've all been saying for years now that Kersetter is an All-Big 12 interior OL. 

The only issue with this is depth. If we lose another OL things start to get dicey. 

Edited by texasstrong12