Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan

Parliament

13 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

and a whole lotta pooooosay to show new recruits......

Easy really.  He was the only one recruiting for a power attack power running game ala old school B1G (gee wonder where he got that from) and they wore people out.  No one else was running that type of offense in the PAC then, so every other team was wide open and easy to game plan for until you got to Stanford and they beat the shit out of you on every play with some big smart mfers blocking up front.  Keep the ball, ball control, opponent offense on the sideline can't score, win TOP (damn I miss old Nebraska football)

Russell+Wilson+10+Championship+Game+Wisc Really Clark?

NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif giphy.gif

Alright, I admit I forgot about Wilson, but he was there for one year, so I get this mulligan. Mertz is there for at least 3, so let's see what a guy in this system with years of experience can accomplish. 

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The Michigan HC job is no longer as coveted as it once was...

Michigan can't expect to accomplish any of its goals until it can recruit effectively nationally. I thought they were pretty good at that in the 90s, signing skill position guys from California /Texas/Louisiana, but right now they don't seem able. The old chestnut of "Ohio State needs to lock down Ohio / Michigan has to recruit Ohio effectively" is totally dead. Ohio doesn't produce enough top tier talent to build even one regular national championship contender anymore; that's why Ohio State only has three native Ohioans starting on offense and two on defense. Ohio's important, but not in the way it was when Michigan was going to Rose Bowls five times a decade. 

So the question of "how do you fix Michigan" isn't just "go back to what works". That shit doesn't work anymore. If Michigan locked down Ohio, signed 75% of the state's best players every year, they'd have a hard time competing with Ohio State. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/18/2020 at 11:12 AM, LTtxfan said:

Have multiple long-time friends in Michigan that are life long Michigan fans.  Lots of folks, young and older, are now leaving the state of Michigan just like the exodus of California. 

The Michigan HC job is no longer as coveted as it once was...

I don't think either statement is true.  Minneapolis-St. Paul is still growing, and a lot of 5 star recruits come out of there and Duluth.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I don't think either statement is true.  Minneapolis-St. Paul is still growing, and a lot of 5 star recruits come out of there and Duluth.

The statements you disagreed with were:

• Lots of folks, young and older, are now leaving the state of Michigan
  • The Michigan HC job is no longer as coveted as it once was...

But Minneapolis-St Paul is not in MICHIGAN

greatlakesstates.gif

Btw... My information is from multiple long-time Michigan fans

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

greatlakesstates.gif

Please. Next you're going to tell me that Kansas City isn't in Kansas.

• Haha 2

The Michigan job is still coveted. Their last coaching hire they got hired the guy who was supposedly untouchable and would never return to college. 

When coaches start turning UofM down you can start talking about it not being coveted. It has the biggest stadium, the most wins, an insane money canon, and top notch facilities. They suck ass right now, but it is a step up for all but maybe 10-15 coaches in the country. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Please. Next you're going to tell me that Kansas City isn't in Kansas.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/which-state-is-kansas-city-in.html#:~:text=Kansas City is located in the states of,on the Kansas City one is referring to. 

For inquiring minds... 😁

There has always been confusion as to where the Kansas City is located depending on the Kansas City one is referring to. There are two Kansas Cities in the United States; Kansas City in the state of Missouri and Kansas City in the state of Kansas. There have been controversies concerning the naming of the two cities. Most of the city area is in Missouri, and this is why the Kansas City in Missouri is more popular than the Kansas City in Kansas. It should not be mistaken that the Kansas City in Missouri straddles the borders into the next state. These are two different cities sharing the same border. The Kansas City metropolitan area is the one that straddles the Kansas-Missouri borders.

14 minutes ago, Juicy said:

The Michigan job is still coveted. Their last coaching hire they got hired the guy who was supposedly untouchable and would never return to college. 

When coaches start turning UofM down you can start talking about it not being coveted. It has the biggest stadium, the most wins, an insane money canon, and top notch facilities. They suck ass right now, but it is a step up for all but maybe 10-15 coaches in the country. 

Agree that the Michigan job is still coveted...

My previous statement was:  "The Michigan HC job is no longer as coveted as it once was "  

Maybe that will change...

And with things beginning to turn around at both Ford and GM, hopefully the state of Michigan will get better in the future -- but several of my friends in Michigan are concerned about their state and see many folks leaving -- especially younger people...

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, LTtxfan said:

And with things beginning to turn around at both Ford and GM, the state of Michigan will get better in the future -- but several of my friends in Michigan are concerned about their state and see many folks leaving -- especially younger people...

I think that was more of an issue 10 years ago, Detroit is starting to come back as a Tech hub and Grand Rapids is growing as well. The brain drain of 10-15 years ago seems to have stalled out.

Just now, Juicy said:

I think that was more of an issue 10 years ago, Detroit is starting to come back as a Tech hub and Grand Rapids is growing as well. The brain drain of 10-15 years ago seems to have stalled out.

Hope you're right... Michigan is an awesome state, and "The Big House" is one of the greatest stadiums to attend CFB.

4 hours ago, Juicy said:

I think that was more true 10 months ago.  Recent history will be rebooting the midwest exodus. 

6 hours ago, Juicy said:

It has the biggest stadium, the most wins, an insane money canon, and top notch facilities.

That's fan talk. Biggest stadium, most wins = totally irrelevant as long as you have a big stadium and the coach can reasonably expect to win (e.g., no coach is going to look at the Michigan and Florida jobs and say "I pick Michigan because they have 900 wins all-time"). Michigan's fan support is definitely a plus but I don't think it gives them any advantage over most places national championship caliber coaches consider. I do think Michigan's culture, its insistence on doing things the right way and comparable lack of academic shortcuts is attractive to some coaches. If Florida State and Michigan both went after David Shaw, or Pat Fitzgerald, or a hypothetical non-alumnus Harbaugh, the culture would be a huge plus for UM. 

Top notch facilities are a requirement anywhere; I don't disagree Michigan has them but that's like having a bachelor's degree when you're applying for a job. 

The money cannon is the biggest thing Michigan has going for it. Michigan doesn't put nearly as many guys in the NFL as Alabama or Ohio State. It's not a place where you can sell a kid on national championships. It's no longer a place where you can sell him on Big Ten championships and Rose Bowls. The stuff you CAN sell Michigan on-- I guess I'm just surprised that Harbaugh couldn't translate that into better recruiting. He seems almost content with three-stars who really "get" Michigan, but I don't really think Michigan is such an anomaly that you can only take guys that "get" it. It's not West Point. 

I guess-- I don't disagree it's among the 20 best jobs out there. I just feel like CFB is stratifying in a big way and Michigan looks like it's getting left behind the current Big 3 and a select few bluebloods. 

I think Harbaugh has a ton of issues, the way he manages the games being number 1, but number 1a is the recruiting. Michigan can recruit when they want to, but they seem to try and get ultra cute and take 10+ recruits who they think the other 25 top programs failed to identify and are going to be a diamond in the rough. Maybe one out of 20 of those kids works out. Instead they are stuck with smaller DTs, bigger but Slower CBs, and WRs who are all 6 foot or shorter. 

That isn't going to cut it. They need to be better at identifying talent. Period. 

It does sort of feel like when Colorado hired Hawkins from Boise State and then Petersen stepped in and never missed a beat. Has Colorado even played in a bowl game since then?

They played for the pac12 title a couple years ago. Got rolled by Ok State in the Alamo Bowl.

greatlakesstates.gif

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

LMAO I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING AT THIS STATEMENT. 

I read that as Jim knows someone on the team is testing positive for COVID-19, which means by December 19, too much of the team will test positive to play the game. No way to reschedule since the Big 10 Championship Game is a week later. Boom - there you go. No loss to tOSU this season. Not like he GUARANTEED a win.

2 hours ago, n64ra said:

I read that as Jim knows someone on the team is testing positive for COVID-19, which means by December 19, too much of the team will test positive to play the game. No way to reschedule since the Big 10 Championship Game is a week later. Boom - there you go. No loss to tOSU this season. Not like he GUARANTEED a win.

Is the Saturday after Thanksgiving December 12th in your universe?

• immamac changed the title to Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan