Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan

Parliament

1 hour ago, Knighthawk said:

Harbaugh can’t bring in a qb that doesn’t suck.  The rest of the team is capable. It literally is one missing piece that makes 1-3 into 3-1 or better.   

If he’s unable to bring in a qb (or develop one) in this amount of time, then it’s time to cut bait.   

capable of what? the D is giving up 41 pts per game...yeah, yeah turnovers, but how about they stop someone. They were even on turnover margin for the season heading into tonight, and now are sitting at -2, so not horrific. 

Edited by Blotto

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

They are in danger of falling onto the Nebraska path of eternal irrelevancy.

And is that stat that they haven't been a top-10 team in 12 years true?  If so ... damn.

I really, really thought Frost could turn them around. Maybe more on the Wisconsin path not the compete for CFP path, but damn. He's still got at least 2 years to show something, but it's not looking bright. 

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

They were top 10 in 2016. That team actually was pretty good.

I remember that team. Forgot they were top 10. They lost to someone in one of the big bowls. I know they lost to someone they shouldn't have + tOSU, but can't remember after that. 

Edit: just saw they lost to Iowa in the season and FSU in the Orange Bowl 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

6 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I really, really thought Frost could turn them around. Maybe more on the Wisconsin path not the compete for CFP path, but damn. He's still got at least 2 years to show something, but it's not looking bright. 

I was sold on Frost as well. He just seemed perfect, and had some success.

Of course on cue Heupel is actually keeping the UCF team pretty much where Frost left it. I’m starting to wonder whether it was in fact Heupe’s offensive knowledge that had a hand in Frost’s overall success, and Nebraska simply hired the wrong UCF coach?

8 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

He also doesn't use his WR's well. He had Peoples-Jones and he was so underused it was criminal. 

He throws to TE’s. But DPJ was a super diva that got no separation (drafted in the 6th or 7th round). Nico Collins was the best WR in that class and he’s looking really smart by not playing and preparing for the draft. This season would have killed his draft stock. The whole staff needs to go. Hiring new Assistants isn’t good enough 

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If your goal is to hire another active coach then it shouldn't be an obstacle for them to take a job where they test 100+ players and all the coaches and staff on a daily basis. If your goal is to hire a former coach who has to interact with relatively few people on a regular basis and still loses a week of work due to positive testing then you definitely have a point. 

To clarify; not the virus itself, but rather, the ongoing chaos the virus is bringing to the table (drastically lowered revenues, game postponements and cancellations, players taking the season off, players missing practice time, etc).  All of this is going to combine to give some colleges an excuse to keep coaches around another year or two that they don't deserve, but there are schools that are going to take a mulligan on this season, no matter the results.

As bad as this sounds, there are some programs that are going to take the stand of "if the NCAA grants our students a free year eligibility wise, then we probably should grant our coaches a free year as well".

I have no idea how much this is going to cost colleges, but granting everyone an extra year of eligibility is going to bump up how much schools have to pay out in scholarships as well.  That's going to get lumped on top of what an outgoing coaching staff  costs + incoming staff costs.  

Harbaugh has lost his mojo and needs to be shown the door.  I can easily see the Michigan admin punting on this season and next year is his last.

16 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

To clarify; not the virus itself, but rather, the ongoing chaos the virus is bringing to the table (drastically lowered revenues, game postponements and cancellations, players taking the season off, players missing practice time, etc).  All of this is going to combine to give some colleges an excuse to keep coaches around another year or two that they don't deserve, but there are schools that are going to take a mulligan on this season, no matter the results.

As bad as this sounds, there are some programs that are going to take the stand of "if the NCAA grants our students a free year eligibility wise, then we probably should grant our coaches a free year as well".

I have no idea how much this is going to cost colleges, but granting everyone an extra year of eligibility is going to bump up how much schools have to pay out in scholarships as well.  That's going to get lumped on top of what an outgoing coaching staff  costs + incoming staff costs.  

Harbaugh has lost his mojo and needs to be shown the door.  I can easily see the Michigan admin punting on this season and next year is his last.

Yeah, I don't know how the circumstances will affect the coaching carousel. We may see very few or even no coaches get fired this year. I've seen speculation that they'll just let Jim finish out the last year of his contract and leave. Who would commit to Michigan not knowing who was going to be coaching them for most of their career? It's already unheard of to have a coach with just one year left on his contract. But I'd think, if they were going to keep him, they'd have to give him an extension. They'd be doing a grave disservice to their next coach if they take the lame duck approach. 

9 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

And is that stat that they haven't been a top-10 team in 12 years true?  If so ... damn.

I hate to say we shouldn’t be poking at Corn or potentially Wolverine with this....

If we lose a couple more this year and don’t rid ourselves of the cause and get it right next time.....   The 20th anniversary of our last championship is knocking on the door.  

11 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

You mean like us after 2009 (other than 2018)?  We are in danger as well if things don’t change at the top soon.

Without partial qualifiers, and particularly without a Texas recruiting pipeline, Nebraska’s ceiling looks like Iowa under Farentz. They will never be back. Michigan can get there.

19 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Without partial qualifiers, and particularly without a Texas recruiting pipeline, Nebraska’s ceiling looks like Iowa under Farentz. They will never be back. Michigan can get there.

So what makes the difference between the potential of Nebraska and Michigan.  History?  Ok slight edge to Mich.  Admin commitment?  Edge to Neb.   Donor support to athletics?  Probably a wash.  Geography?   Michigan gets that, but does it really matter?  Oregon proves it’s not a show stopper.  They are 900 miles from their main recruiting base (So Cal).  Oregon does it because they commit the resources to compete at highest level.  

28 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

So what makes the difference between the potential of Nebraska and Michigan.  History?  Ok slight edge to Mich.  Admin commitment?  Edge to Neb.   Donor support to athletics?  Probably a wash.  Geography?   Michigan gets that, but does it really matter?  Oregon proves it’s not a show stopper.  They are 900 miles from their main recruiting base (So Cal).  Oregon does it because they commit the resources to compete at highest level.  

And because they get every color blind 5 star player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I agree with this, but honestly my only issue is how much does Michigan care about football? Is it behind basketball, etc? There should be absolutely zero reason Texas or Michigan should be absent from the top 10 annually, yet here we are. I think Michigan will get back there. 

As for Neb, like I said, I don't think they'll ever be NC contenders, but they can be more of an Iowa/Wisky and go between 8-10 wins annually, and maybe occasionally hit one of the big 4 bowls. But yeah, they'll never be what they were from 1997 and before. 

13 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

Harbaugh can’t bring in a qb that doesn’t suck.  The rest of the team is capable. It literally is one missing piece that makes 1-3 into 3-1 or better.   

If he’s unable to bring in a qb (or develop one) in this amount of time, then it’s time to cut bait.   

basically this?

1tlaDf_50CFwd8g1EAh3F8RDkoseAZA46xxno8nj

With all due respect, fuck off with the Nebraska talk. Feel free to ignore that but I felt it should be said. 

With respect to Michigan, they have history and tradition. I think it's great that, since the B1G added Rutgers, Michigan is now the second oldest program in the conference. But they were responsible for introducing football to the Midwest. We shouldn't forget that. 

They're the winningest program in history. Yes, a lot of their greatest successes have been in the past, and we opposing fans never tire of reminding them of that. But back in the late 1800's when they were beating the School for the Blind, our teams were losing to them. Assuming we had even started playing football yet. 

They have the largest stadium in the country. They have a large and passionate fanbase. They're a good school. It should be easy to sell to recruits and I figured Harbaugh would excel at that.  

I figured the first thing he'd do would be to get some golden boy QB recruit out of CA. Then he'd start recruiting talented players from all over, including Ohio, promising them that he was going to run a pro-style offense and prepare them for the NFL. I was worried that, when he beat the Buckeyes, I'd be jealous of how he did it. 

That didn't happen and the game is evolving so I can't really say whether it's passed him by. But I'll bet it killed him watching Wisconsin running power football with a fullback against him last night. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

You’re underestimating Michigan’s resource advantage relative to Nebraska. Administrative commitment is something that can change over time. And it isn’t what’s been holding them back in the Harbaugh years. Geography isn’t a deal breaker but Michigan is unquestionably in better shape than corn aggy. I didn’t say Michigan is guaranteed to get back, but it absolutely can. Nebraska will not win another national championship in our lifetime.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Michigan's in-state talent isn't great, but they at least have some, unlike Nebraska. They also have better access to Ohio, PA, and the east coast. The only population center in the vicinity of Nebraska is Kansas City with just over 2 million, roughly the size of San Antonio. Michigan obviously has elite academics, which most 5 stars don't really care about, but there is a subset of recruits who take it into account. I don't think either job is great, but Michigan actually has some things to work with. Nebraska has nothing besides history, which is probably the least important to 17 year-olds.

Edited by TXpride

55 minutes ago, TXpride said:

Michigan's in-state talent isn't great, but they at least have some, unlike Nebraska. They also have better access to Ohio, PA, and the east coast. The only population center in the vicinity of Nebraska is Kansas City with just over 2 million, roughly the size of San Antonio. Michigan obviously has elite academics, which most 5 stars don't really care about, but there is a subset of recruits who take it into account. I don't think either job is great, but Michigan actually has some things to work with. Nebraska has nothing besides history, which is probably the least important to 17 year-olds.

I know Michigan has 2 or 3 powerhouse football teams in Detroit, I believe. Cass Tech, Catholic Central, and one other. But Michigan was recruiting Ohio and PA along with MI when they were a powerhouse. That's what they need to do, but Harbaugh cannot seem to sell to those kids. He's gotten a few like Rashan Gary, Jabrill Peppers, and Donovan Peoples-Jones off the top of my head, but that's not enough. If I remember correctly they average around 16th in recruiting (just a guess) and that's not gonna get it done. Got hit up OH, MI, PA, NJ, and Wisconsin/Iowa for linemen. Just stay the fuck out of Texas. I don't get the feel Harbaugh really understands or can connect with kids, and i think that also has a lot to do with their failures. 

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I know Michigan has 2 or 3 powerhouse football teams in Detroit, I believe. Cass Tech, Catholic Central, and one other. But Michigan was recruiting Ohio and PA along with MI when they were a powerhouse. That's what they need to do, but Harbaugh cannot seem to sell to those kids. He's gotten a few like Rashan Gary, Jabrill Peppers, and Donovan Peoples-Jones off the top of my head, but that's not enough. If I remember correctly they average around 16th in recruiting (just a guess) and that's not gonna get it done. Got hit up OH, MI, PA, NJ, and Wisconsin/Iowa for linemen. Just stay the fuck out of Texas. I don't get the feel Harbaugh really understands or can connect with kids, and i think that also has a lot to do with their failures. 

They average 11th in team rankings since 2016. They have taken as low as 20 kids and as high as 31. They are ranked so high because of the high number of kids he takes per class. They recruit good enough and have the resources that a Clemson Bama or osu have but they do not recruit as elite as those 3 schools. BUT they recruit well enough to compete. Also both power house schools you mentioned produce talent but they are mostly overrated flame outs. I could go into names and shit but you get my point 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

There should be absolutely zero reason Texas or Michigan should be absent from the top 10 annually, yet here we are. I think Michigan will get back there. 

Eh. There are more quality D1 players within 100 miles of Austin than there are in the entire state of Michigan. Texas should have a much higher floor although we've attempted to disprove that the past decade.

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

They average 11th in team rankings since 2016. They have taken as low as 20 kids and as high as 31. They are ranked so high because of the high number of kids he takes per class. They recruit good enough and have the resources that a Clemson Bama or osu have but they do not recruit as elite as those 3 schools. BUT they recruit well enough to compete. Also both power house schools you mentioned produce talent but they are mostly overrated flame outs. I could go into names and shit but you get my point 

Yeah, I get you. And like you said, he's recruiting such high numbers that it inflates the rankings. It's like he'll take 4-5 high quality kids and then wants to find those diamond in the rough kids. I can't even begin to understand Harbaugh and nor do I want to. It's baffling what he could do at Stanford and take an NFL team to the SB, but just can't beat their rival and struggles. It sucks because I like Michigan. They're a blue blood for a reason, and that helmet speaks for itself. I'd love nothing more than to see Texas and Michigan return to their rightful place in the top 10, and for Washington to compete for their conference. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

He ain't lying, tho...

There is zero reason to expect Nebraska to ever win another national title. Right now, it looks like the national title is going to rotate between a few SEC powerhouses plus Ohio State and Clemson. When you say "oh but <Program X> will insert itself", Program X has to have a few things going for it to make that a non-nonsensical statement. It has to be in a talent-rich recruiting environment (or able to recruit truly nationally, not "we signed 8 three-stars from the West Coast") and it has to have a winner-takes-all, who-gives-a-fuck attitude towards football. It needs to have a reputation for putting players (especially prominent ones) in the NFL. It needs to be in a P5 conference. After all of that, you can start talking about facilities, the size of the fan base, flashy uniforms, or being on TV. And lastly, as relevant as sprinkles on a donut are to its nutritional content, you can talk about the winning tradition, stuff that happened before HD or ESPN or integrated rosters or WWII or the forward pass. 

So, among the programs that have won a least a share of a national title in our approximate lifetimes, here's who's in and here's who's out. In means yeah, you might win one in the next 40 years assuming the sport continues on its current trajectory towards the elimination of amateurism and a full-time, semi-pro NFL prep model. Out means you're not winning one 

IN: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Texas, Southern Cal, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Oklahoma, Notre Dame (barely), Tennessee (even more barely)

OUT: Nebraska, Michigan, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Pitt (if you're old enough), Washington, Brigham Young, Penn State

I should live another thirty to forty years. Absent a huge change in the structure of college football, and I'm talking about one we don't currently even see coming, I'll be shocked if a school on the OUT list (or not listed at all) wins a national title before I die. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/15/2020 at 8:07 AM, Horn80 said:

, what exactly do you do here Harbaugh?

On 11/15/2020 at 10:15 AM, 6th Street said:

Crazy because his offense with Kap was actually pretty innovative. Got the Niners to 1 Super Bowl and 2 NFC championships. Now they look like an old RC Slocum coaches team 

On 11/15/2020 at 1:56 PM, 6th Street said:

UM needs to hire Gary Patterson

Y'all need to shut the fuck up - or I'm going to have to rally the rest of the B1G in a huge "Save Jimmy" campaign. 
Nobody wants to see him go (except Maize & Blue fans)

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I’d like to see Blue not suck.

Me too. 

Not going to happen with the staff that is here. Michigan is going to have their own Ewers situation on their hands with JJ mccarthy. He had to come out with the "support the team" tweet. 

Not great. 

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

There is zero reason to expect Nebraska to ever win another national title. Right now, it looks like the national title is going to rotate between a few SEC powerhouses plus Ohio State and Clemson. When you say "oh but <Program X> will insert itself", Program X has to have a few things going for it to make that a non-nonsensical statement. It has to be in a talent-rich recruiting environment (or able to recruit truly nationally, not "we signed 8 three-stars from the West Coast") and it has to have a winner-takes-all, who-gives-a-fuck attitude towards football. It needs to have a reputation for putting players (especially prominent ones) in the NFL. It needs to be in a P5 conference. After all of that, you can start talking about facilities, the size of the fan base, flashy uniforms, or being on TV. And lastly, as relevant as sprinkles on a donut are to its nutritional content, you can talk about the winning tradition, stuff that happened before HD or ESPN or integrated rosters or WWII or the forward pass. 

So, among the programs that have won a least a share of a national title in our approximate lifetimes, here's who's in and here's who's out. In means yeah, you might win one in the next 40 years assuming the sport continues on its current trajectory towards the elimination of amateurism and a full-time, semi-pro NFL prep model. Out means you're not winning one 

IN: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Texas, Southern Cal, Florida, Florida State, Miami, Oklahoma, Notre Dame (barely), Tennessee (even more barely)

OUT: Nebraska, Michigan, Colorado, Georgia Tech, Pitt (if you're old enough), Washington, Brigham Young, Penn State

I should live another thirty to forty years. Absent a huge change in the structure of college football, and I'm talking about one we don't currently even see coming, I'll be shocked if a school on the OUT list (or not listed at all) wins a national title before I die. 

The CFB landscape is ever changing. No one would've predicted Clemson would be a powerhouse 10 years ago. Historically, they were basically an Arkansas level program, so a lot can change. If the population continues to shift south and west, a team like Arizona State (just throwing them out there as an example) could become a contender. Oregon already is one. And as much as we hate to say it, aggie has the resources (which has always been the case, and they've always managed to aggie it up). Michigan and Penn State are both within proximity of several major (but shrinking) population centers, and they have big followings on the east coast. They still have a chance, but it's a more difficult path. I will agree that Nebraska is done; no one outside of flyover country gives a fuck about them.

Always bottled my mind that ASU isn’t more relevant. Close to CA, easier school to get into, some number of dudes from the NE/MW should enjoy winters here, hotties. Always seemed like some coach should be able to tell that story successfully. Maybe Herm is on to it.

and a whole lotta pooooosay to show new recruits......

On 11/14/2020 at 7:41 PM, Sbbruin said:

But how did he do SO well at Stanford, with some of the most difficult admissions standards anywhere, and fail so badly at his alma mater, where he can recruit with real personal enthusiasm?  He got the NFL stink on him and came out with the funk, like Chip Kelly.

Easy really.  He was the only one recruiting for a power attack power running game ala old school B1G (gee wonder where he got that from) and they wore people out.  No one else was running that type of offense in the PAC then, so every other team was wide open and easy to game plan for until you got to Stanford and they beat the shit out of you on every play with some big smart mfers blocking up front.  Keep the ball, ball control, opponent offense on the sideline can't score, win TOP (damn I miss old Nebraska football)

On 11/14/2020 at 8:53 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

I've always kind of liked Wisconsin. I just wish they would be more consistent and show up against other big boys when it matters. It's not like they're lacking in the o-line department or RBs. They finally seem to have a decent QB in Mertz, so maybe this will finally get them over the hump and they shock the B1G in the next 4 years. 🤷‍♂️

Russell+Wilson+10+Championship+Game+Wisc Really Clark?

On 11/15/2020 at 5:21 AM, Scooter Monzingo said:

Of course on cue Heupel is actually keeping the UCF team pretty much where Frost left it. I’m starting to wonder whether it was in fact Heupe’s offensive knowledge that had a hand in Frost’s overall success, and Nebraska simply hired the wrong UCF coach?

NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif giphy.gif

Edited by mulletpelini
Nowledge is power

On 11/16/2020 at 5:17 PM, tbone_ said:

Always bottled my mind that ASU isn’t more relevant. Close to CA

Six hours from LA, almost six from San Diego, more than ten from the Bay Area. You might as well say "why isn't UNLV relevant", it's the same kind of community-college-attached-to-football-stadium act. California talent has tons of options much closer to home without leaving the state. Hot chicks, man they're falling off trees out there. Division I athletes don't have to trundle off to Tempe for that. 

On 11/15/2020 at 5:21 AM, Scooter Monzingo said:

It does sort of feel like when Colorado hired Hawkins from Boise State and then Petersen stepped in and never missed a beat. Has Colorado even played in a bowl game since then?

• immamac changed the title to Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan