Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Greathouse has always been interested in Texas but he wasn’t at the top of the leaderboard. With the recent de commitment and lack of success with others, he’s now in play. They should be able to land him. The issue with him was attitude and speed. Maybe he works out. 

Edited by Dbeasy

14 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I have a hunch Worthy portals.

He would be stupid to do so. Assuming he has a desire to go pro after next year (which I’m gonna bet he does and is probably already acting like it), transferring to a new school where he has to learn a new system with a new QB while already having an inconsistent skillset that needs work in numerous areas has way more risk than it does reward.

But hey, he wouldn’t be the first player to make a dumb decision and won’t be the last.

Didn’t even realize it til I was looking through his game logs just now but the guy has 4 or fewer catches in 50% of the games he’s played in up to this point in his career. Some of that is crappy QB play (especially last year), but still surprising.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Greathouse has always been interested in Texas but he wasn’t at the top of the leaderboard. With the recent de commitment and lack of success with others, he’s now in play. They should be able to lend him. The issue with him was attitude and speed. Maybe he works out. 

Didn’t know there was an attitude issue with him. Interesting. The speed thing is definitely a concern but I think he can win in other ways.

1 minute ago, Post Oak said:

GH has always loved Greathouse FWIW.  Extremely competitive, good teammate, leader, winner, and hard worker. Said he's the type of guy who raises a program's floor. 

Sounds a bit like ROJO.

Yeah one of the IT folks made a comment in a video that Greathouse's work ethic and focus on his team was a lot like RoJo... 

No mention of any attitude concerns.  

30 minutes ago, Nope said:

He will at least hint at it until we deliver a bigger NIL package. Every offseason is free agency now.

Call his bluff... the lack of consistency and occasional lapse of effort doesn't warrant a pay bump.  If he wants to risk jumping into a new room with a new playbook and new QB to build a rapport with for his "contract" year, then best of luck. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, Post Oak said:

GH has always loved Greathouse FWIW.  Extremely competitive, good teammate, leader, winner, and hard worker. Said he's the type of guy who raises a program's floor. 

Sounds a bit like ROJO.

I prefer guys like Bijan. Uber talented with a good attitude. They tend to raise the floor more  

Edited by Codaxx

Each of his shitty games with drops and poor effort is also destroying his leverage this season.  Lets find another school that will pay him 800k to drop balls and run poor routes where he gives up half way.  We can get another WR with better results for that type of money.  Hell If we’re spending that type of money, I’d see if we can get an upgrade that can produce and let him go.

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I prefer guys like Bijan. Uber talented with a good attitude. They tend to raise the floor more  

Good plan. We should recruit more players that are the best in the country at their position, hard & dedicated workers, great leaders, and have a good attitude. Not sure why we have been ignoring those guys.

• Hook 'Em 8

31 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Good plan. We should recruit more players that are the best in the country at their position, hard & dedicated workers, great leaders, and have a good attitude. Not sure why we have been ignoring those guys.

if we just take 25 of those guys every year we’ll probably be a much better team. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The current list of priority, allegedly, is 1) Greathouse, 2) Moore, 3) Parker. They'll supposedly take one of them and some people think that Greathouse is now leaning Texas. They also *think* they have a stud from the portal. They also *think* that Worthy can be retained. They also *think* that Hall and Neyor will be back. 

Is Neyor grad-transfer eligible? He's in his 4th year, but I guess I'd be surprised if he had the credits to graduate with the one-time exception transfer already.

17 hours ago, Shonen said:

Call his bluff... the lack of consistency and occasional lapse of effort doesn't warrant a pay bump.  If he wants to risk jumping into a new room with a new playbook and new QB to build a rapport with for his "contract" year, then best of luck. 

This. Trying the same shit he did last year after worse performance on the field shouldn’t be met with more money.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Probably a bad idea to lose our best wide receiver.

Feel like we can find someone reasonably fast who will actually extend their hands beyond their chest and leave their feet occasionally for similar pay. Bird in the hand blah blah blah though yea.  

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Shonen said:

Let's not get into a pissing contest with our best receiver 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Shonen said:

He risked jumping into the end zone and scoring two TDs in the first half tonight, on the road. He can ride with my team any day.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nobody’s ok with losing him, just saying if he pulls his last minute hostage situation bullshit again after some of his effort this season hes given the coaches a reason to question if they’d match again. That said he’s crushing tonight so I’m stupid.

3 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Feel like we can find someone reasonably fast who will actually extend their hands beyond their chest and leave their feet occasionally for similar pay. Bird in the hand blah blah blah though yea.  

This is really fucking stupid. Worthy is one of the best WRs in the country. People’s bullshit crusaded against him about effort and selfishness are equally stupid. I’ve seen him blocking downfield plenty of times this year. He’s not the diva people make him out to be. 

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

These negative comments about Worthy are the stupidest effing thing ever. He’s extremely good, and if he’s selfish or difficult or whatever, well then you just described 95% of NFL receivers. 

This. He’s not at all out of the ordinary for any star WR. If anything I’d say he gives better effort blocking than a lot of them. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is really fucking stupid. Worthy is one of the best WRs in the country. People’s bullshit crusaded against him about effort and selfishness are equally stupid. I’ve seen him blocking downfield plenty of times this year. He’s not the diva people make him out to be. 

His blocking isn’t in question. Hes given up on multiple balls that weren’t perfectly placed this season and that needs to be worked on. Nothing wrong with calling those out. Anyway, wrong thread my beezy.

Edited by Hank_Hill

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

His blocking isn’t in question. Hes given up on multiple balls that weren’t perfectly placed this season and that needs to be worked on. Nothing wrong with calling those out. Anyway, wrong thread my beezy.

Yea, he's got stuff to work on, but the idea that we should call his "bluff" and replace him is fucking stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1