Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

52 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Did he really think that this was news? This has been the plan since the kid was a highschool freshman, hell probably even before then

Consider the reporter.

Breaking news! Sources confirm to OB that it has been decided that next year will be 2023. 2024 was really close to being to choice, but 2023 won out in the end. 

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Is this throwing a Hail Mary at this point of the kids recruitment?

When the kid first started blowing up in the summer he did an interview and said Texas was a dream school and he really wanted the offer but we were focused on other targets. We were in Arizona yesterday so I might as well throw the offer out to see if this is a recruitment we can get into. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

When the kid first started blowing up in the summer he did an interview and said Texas was a dream school and he really wanted the offer but we were focused on other targets. We were in Arizona yesterday so I might as well throw the offer out to see if this is a recruitment we can get into. 

I get recruiting is ultimately an opportunity, trust, comfort thing married to money/path to money issue for these kids.  I just never understood X School didn't recruit me when I was in 8th grade so I'm not interested.   I had many an attractive co-ed not give me the time of day - which had zero impact on my interest level when they occasionally got liquored up at a party and succumbed to poor pick-up lines and made bad life choices.  So is Texas the attractive co-ed or are the Recruits?

Edited by TheAuditor
  • Haha 4

49 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

I had many an attractive co-ed not give me the time of day - which had zero impact on my interest level when they occasionally got liquored up at a party and succumbed to poor pick-up lines and made bad life choices.  So is Texas the attractive co-ed or are the Recruits?

Why not the bad life choice?

2 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

Maybe staff is learning when they hear "dream school" they back off.

3 hours ago, FreeHorn said:

So, Sark posts on Surly as FreeHorn confirmed 

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Apparently, according to FCB, that 5 star slammed his index finger in a door earlier in the week, lost the fingernail on the finger, was trying out wearing a glove on his throwing hand in warmups, and ultimately looked awful throwing in 23 mph wind. 

I think that he will be fine going forward, but if Arch wants to come in spring, the welcome aboard. 

Even more reason he should have changed to Card in the second half to try to spark a momentum shift.

I love Ewers and think he’ll be successful here. However, it was obvious there was something wrong. Don’t abandon the run and/or bring Card in. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Even more reason he should have changed to Card in the second half to try to spark a momentum shift.

I love Ewers and think he’ll be successful here. However, it was obvious there was something wrong. Don’t abandon the run and/or bring Card in. 

Agreed. At some point you say to Quinn, "Hey, I admire your guts and thanks for giving it a shot but I've got to try something else because we need to win this game."

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

when you are being more conservative than Dabo, who made the move to a true freshman backup who has about 3% of the experience of Card...you are doing it wrong.

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, NoName said:

when you are being more conservative than Dabo, who made the move to a true freshman backup who has about 3% of the experience of Card...you are doing it wrong.

Our situation is a little different in that I don't think DJ Uiageleilei is all that special like we think Ewers is. Klubnik is their future whether it's this year or next year. Card is not our future. Ewers is. Then Arch. But, yes, we still should've tried playing Card just to see if we could a different result.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Our situation is a little different in that I don't think DJ Uiageleilei is all that special like we think Ewers is. Klubnik is their future whether it's this year or next year. Card is not our future. Ewers is. Then Arch. But, yes, we still should've tried playing Card just to see if we could a different result.

Wrong Clemson QB. He's referencing true freshman Trevor Lawrence displacing Kelly Bryant a year after Bryant led them to the CFP. 

Edited by Hornlover

I kind of thought the Manning Mafia would have preferred Arch to stay in High School and graduate with the rest of his class.

To "enjoy being a teenager" while he could (as much as possible anyhow).

Him enrolling early has absolutely zero effect on how many years he might play for us, right?

Or does it mean he could now leave for the NFL a year earlier than if he'd graduated with the rest of his class?

And I'm assuming it also has zero effect on him sitting a year while Ewers gears up for the NFL?

9 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

I kind of thought the Manning Mafia would have preferred Arch to stay in High School and graduate with the rest of his class.

Him enrolling early has absolutely zero effect on how many years he might play for us, right?

Or does it mean he could now leave for the NFL a year earlier than if he'd graduated with the rest of his class?

And I'm assuming it also has zero effect on him sitting a year while Ewers gears up for the NFL?

Take this to the dumb question amnesty thread.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

It just gives him the chance to learn the offense sooner, be a part of the team, and adjust to life as a college student faster than he would otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 4

34 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

1) Gerry liked the offer

2) Senior film is very good

3) Comp Gerry gave was Murphy

Yeah he said the Murphy comp was due to his lack of height but plays with good power, leverage and has a good motor. Gerry said when Benton was at IMG last year the staff was really high on him.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Senior film so far. He looks good.  I'm not blown away, his arms might be on the short side.  I can see why they like him though. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/12750232/6318cef2d2256e10644c24f4

I do like his disruption and nose for the ball. The Oline rarely squares him up, which is something that is hard to teach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah he said the Murphy comp was due to his lack of height but plays with good power, leverage and has a good motor. Gerry said when Benton was at IMG last year the staff was really high on him.

Plays lower than Broughton already. Uses his hands well. Great motor. Murphy comp looks pretty solid to me. Texas will need some young players with higher floors next year to play DT. May never be a star in fans eyes, but could definitely see him as little bowling ball that is just a pain in the ass in the middle of the line. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Vito Andolini said:

I don’t think Benton is anywhere near 6’2” bur damn, he’s incredibly quick. If he gains some good weight, I think more Poona-like than anyone on our current roster. I’m not saying he’ll be as good as Ford, his height and quickness are more in that vein.

If he can suddenly change his wing-span from 72” to 81”, I can see the Poona Ford comp. Just need to borrow the body stretcher that Kyler Murray was using before the NFL combine and put a turbocharger on it and we should be good in about 4 years. 

I am seeing more of a Refrigerator Perry comp with those RB skills. 

Are we looking at him for RB or DL? Or are we thinking that he’s more of a hybrid?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

How long were (are) Chris Whaley's arms? Lamarr Houston? Henry Melton? I like the rb/dl transition especially with Patterson involved

Roy Miller had really long arms in high school but they got much shorter once he got established in a college weight program.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2