Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Breakfast Bites: Notes on three 2023 Texas targets

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Breakfast Bites: Notes on three 2023 Texas targets

Mike Roach

— Four-star Waco Connally athlete Jelani McDonald opened his recruitment yesterday decommitting from Oklahoma State. This comes just a few weeks after Texas offered McDonald and he visited for the Iowa State game. I spoke to a few sources yesterday regarding McDonald, and it sounds like Texas has a decent shot of closing the deal with him by the time he signs. McDonald himself told me that the Texas visit went extremely well and he loved the time spent with Gary Patterson, Jeff Choate and Steve Sarkisian. It sounds like McDonald is planning to take an official visit to Texas, and I'd target the TCU game on November 12 as a likely date. McDonald is a fit in a few different positions and the staff will need to illustrate how they plan to use him and what his path to playing time will be.

— Add Raymond (MS.) Hinds Community College defensive lineman Derick Hunter for the November 12 weekend as well. The new Texas offer confirmed his visit date with Horns247 and said the history and tradition of the program is something that has his eye. The former Texas A&M signee is picking up steam after his JUCO stint and recently visited Tennessee and LSU. The Vols seem like the school that will give Texas the most competition right now, but he's also hearing from a host of other schools including Arkansas, Ole Miss, Florida, Auburn and Mississippi State. Hunter originally hails from Fort Myers (FL.) and signed with the Aggies in the 2019 class.

— I checked around with some sources regarding Phoenix (AZ) Pinnacle tight end Duce Robinson. While the Longhorns are still angling to get him on campus for an official visit, it sounds like some of the buzz they once held in the recruitment is fading a bit. A source in Arizona told me that Georgia seems to be what they are hearing most while USC remains a longstanding favorite. Perhaps this can change if Texas is able to get Robinson on campus, but the word I heard yesterday didn't sound positive. If the Longhorns miss on Robinson, it's possible that North Crowley tight end and Vanderbilt commit Ka'Morreun Pimpton receives an offer.

• Hook 'Em 2

Four-Star WR Deandre Moore locks in another official visit 

Greg Biggins

(He’s also locked in a visit date with Texas for November 12.

“Texas is a school I always planned to visit,” Moore said. “I’ve had a good relationship with coach Sark (Steve Sarkisian) since he was at Alabama and I like how they use Xavier Worthy.

“It’s a wide open offense and Texas was probably my runner-up when I committed to Louisville. I have a lot of respect for the school and their tradition so I’m excited for the visit.”)

Spoiler

Four-Star WR Deandre Moore locks in another official visit 

Greg Biggins

Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco athlete Deandre Moore fulfilled a childhood dream in being selected to play in the All-American Bowl.

Moore is one of the top two-way players in the country but is being recruited primarily at receiver. He’s currently rated the No. 76 player nationally in the 247Sports Composite and has looked very good this season.

“This is definitely a dream come true for me,” Moore said. “I’ve been watching this game since I was little and can’t wait to go out there and compete with the best of the best.

“I feel like I’m one of the best receivers in the country and this a great opportunity and a great stage to show what I can do. When I get out there, I’m going to go crazy and I can’t wait.”

Moore said he has been watching the All-American Bowl since he was little.

“I remember watching Amon-Ra St. Brown punting the ball in to the stands,” Moore said. “I remember watching guys like JT Daniels and Trevor Lawrence, Bru McCoy and then a few years later, there was Bryce Young and DJ (Uiagalelei) and I loved watching those guys.

“This game brings out the best players in the country so I’ve always wanted to be a part of it. It’s an incredible honor, it really is and I’m very thankful for it.”

On the recruiting front, Moore committed to Louisville back in May and remains solid in that pledge. He will take a few official visits and we reported back in September that he plans to visit Georgia November 5.

“I’m close with BMac (Bryan McClendon, WR coach) and DHill (David Hill, Player Connection Coordinator/Asst. RB Coach),” Moore said. “I’ve known DHill since the 7th grade and me and my family are really comfortable with him.

“BMac was recruiting me when he was at Oregon and we clicked immediately. I know they can develop me over there and I would be competing against the best of the best every day in practice so I’m excited about the visit.”

He’s also locked in a visit date with Texas for November 12.

“Texas is a school I always planned to visit,” Moore said. “I’ve had a good relationship with coach Sark (Steve Sarkisian) since he was at Alabama and I like how they use Xavier Worthy.

“It’s a wide open offense and Texas was probably my runner-up when I committed to Louisville. I have a lot of respect for the school and their tradition so I’m excited for the visit.”

Moore said he’s hoping to visit Louisville this season as well.

“I want to get to a game for sure but just don’t have anything set right now,” Moore said. “I love the coaching staff at Louisville and the class we’re building.

“I’ve said it a few times already but I just wanted to see some other schools since Louisville was my only official visit. I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing but I love the opportunities for me at Louisville.”

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Dilligas said:

Based on QB performance last couple games he may very well start next year unless the current 5 star removes head from ass

Apparently, according to FCB, that 5 star slammed his index finger in a door earlier in the week, lost the fingernail on the finger, was trying out wearing a glove on his throwing hand in warmups, and ultimately looked awful throwing in 23 mph wind. 

I think that he will be fine going forward, but if Arch wants to come in spring, the welcome aboard. 

• Hook 'Em 7

7 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

I’d say two in a row with the second being a catastrophe. However, nobody should be talking about writing him off at this point.

Meh, he made some throws against Iowa State he didn’t sniff against OSU, completed 65% of his passes and threw 3 TD’s to 0 INT’s.

Much better days ahead. Bump in the road.

• Hook 'Em 1