Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

5 hours ago, Here’s the deal said:

I don’t know how some of these people make it through the day.

My bacon wasn’t crisp enough- I should divorce my wife.

My son got an A on a test - he’s going to be president one day.

My daughter got a D - she should be committed to a mental institute.

And that’s all before leaving the house for work!!

What I have trouble understanding is how they can be so full of bitchass takes that they feel compelled to come to the board 80 times during a game and blast them to the entire world.  Can you imagine living your life like that?

1 minute ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

It’s quite funny to me that prior to the start of the season a majority of the posters were sure this season would end up with a similar record to last year’s, young OL, inexperienced QB, many of the same players from last year’s defense, etc. Then the team played over its head a couple of games and we suddenly expected to be in contention for the CFP. We literally knew this season would be a fucking roller coaster, yet are pissing ourselves on the drops following the highs.

It’s amazing isn’t it.  7-5 seems likely, but 8-4 and 9-3 still seem doable to me; so I will hope for 9-3.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, stork642 said:

Well Iowa St defense is the best in the B12 and OSU was his first real road game in 20 mph winds.  Oh and he’s a true freshman.  I will not be jumping to conclusions just yet.  I do have one question though how is it that other teams receivers make catches/adjustments to not great passes on other teams and UT’s act like if it isn’t right to them they can’t make an attempt to catch the ball.  I see receivers helping out their QBs all over the place but not at Texas.  It was the same when Card was in so I’m saying our receivers don’t seem too motivated to make a play.  Why is that?

It’s like they have caught whatever disease our DBs have that keep them from being able to see footballs flying in the air.

Quinn had a bad game no doubt. But it seemed like there were about 5 passes in a row in the 2nd quarter where the WRs weren’t even looking for balls that almost hit them in the helmet. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I blame Gerry Hamilton.  Quinn didn’t get an A+ on a test but he did lob a few balls to a wide open Whittington and throw a 20 yard strike to Sanders against a trash defense.  All of a sudden Gerry’s calling him a future first round draft pick.  Same with Banks, Sanders, and Worthy.  Gerry must not watch much NFL football.  

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I blame Gerry Hamilton.  Quinn didn’t get an A+ on a test but he did lob a few balls to a wide open Whittington and throw a 20 yard strike to Sanders against a trash defense.  All of a sudden Gerry’s calling him a future first round draft pick.  Same with Banks, Sanders, and Worthy.  Gerry must not watch much NFL football.  

he is a future 1st round pick. 

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

he is very far from the only one when it comes to Ewers, Banks and Worthy. Sanders, haven't seen anyone say that. but lots of folks have said that about Ewers and Banks and Worthy after last year.

The only one I’d consider walking back the first round claim with at this point is Worthy. He’s got to improve his route running to be picked that high. Quinn will be a first round pick if he plays well. Some NFL team will talk itself into that arm talent, it always happens.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

The only one I’d consider walking back the first round claim with at this point is Worthy. He’s got to improve his route running to be picked that high. Quinn will be a first round pick if he plays well. Some NFL team will talk itself into that arm talent, it always happens.

I think Worthy's biggest problem is his seemingly inability to adjust to the ball in the air.  He's a great athlete so usually that's not a problem for someone of his caliber.  It's really kind of strange, it comes across as a lack of effort sometimes, although I'm not sure that's really the problem. He almost looks kind of awkward when he tries to adjust.

Anyway, we need to keep recruiting some stud receivers.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

I think Worthy's biggest problem is his seemingly inability to adjust to the ball in the air.  He's a great athlete so usually that's not a problem for someone of his caliber.  It's really kind of strange, it comes across as a lack of effort sometimes, although I'm not sure that's really the problem. He almost looks kind of awkward when he tries to adjust.

Worthy, Cain, Watts, Jamison all have that in common. They have zero field awareness and ball skills. Overall, this team plays dumb, and that is 100% on the coaches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

He kept looking in for the ball and the ball was overthrown on the outside so he needed to take his eyes off the ball and look the other direction. If the ball was overthrown to the inside, I don't think Worthy would have a problem picking the ball up. However, sometimes, for little guys, the helmet gets in the way and screws up vision when having to turn your head away from the ball.

6 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Worthy, Cain, Watts, Jamison all have that in common. They have zero field awareness and ball skills. Overall, this team plays dumb, and that is 100% on the coaches. 

we are now getting worked up about DBs not having great ball awareness skills?

if they had great ball awareness skills they would be playing WR, not DB.

39 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

I think he is an athlete playing WR. He is a hell of an athlete, but he doesnt do WR things at a high level. He has mediocre hands. Mediocre routes and below average at tracking the ball. He doesnt show awareness in coverages (multiple times I have seen him turn/bend his route toward the safety). 

Edited by Codaxx

22 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I think he is an athlete playing WR. He is a hell of an athlete, but he doesnt do WR things at a high level. He has mediocre hands. Mediocre routes and below average at tracking the ball. He doesnt show awareness in coverages (multiple times I have seen him turn/bend his route toward the safety). 

I can't see that stuff on TV. Usually, they only show close-ups of the receiver at the end of the route. It would be nice to be able to see the whole field sometimes.

26 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

One thing that drives me nuts is how he does not fight back to the field on go routes. He just stays pushed out to the sidelines and the ball consistently hits exactly where he is but about 5 yards inside. Asking Ewers to put the ball 3 inches from the sideline every time is not really fair. Worthy is really good, but he has a lot of development to do to become a true all around receiver. He is fast as shit, but he can't survive on go routes his whole life. 

22 hours ago, Skipper said:

One shitty game (representing quarters 12-16 of actual college football playing time) and now "Sarks QB's regress".  JFC.

What was @FORTY NINE TO ZERO's user name before @immamac changed it?

22 hours ago, irishtexan said:

He looked like shit vs Iowa state too. It’s an overreaction for sure. But Quinn has sucked shit for two games in a row.

He didn't play well vs Iowa State. He was abysmal vs Oklahoma State, like unexplainably bad.

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I can't see that stuff on TV. Usually, they only show close-ups of the receiver at the end of the route. It would be nice to be able to see the whole field sometimes.

I watched that QB guru break down the film (all 22) the first game against ULM and he noted on a couple of deep balls Xavier's poor routes/angles.  I chalked it up to first game QB/WR not on same page but it has happened time and time again.   Even on Ewers first pick you could see Sark getting on X for his route.  Now, it was so overthrown I don't know what route X could have ran to make a play, but just beyond clear he's not even close to being a complete receiver yet.  Which is frustrating because the talent is there.  Particularly, when you see routes like the 4th and 2 last week that was a thing of beauty.

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This wasn’t an isolated incident.  There’s been a lot of times this year where Worthy either can’t find the ball or does a terrible job adjusting to it. It’s an established flaw in his game. Off the top of my head, I can think of plays against ULM, Bama, and WVU where he did this, and I’m sure there’s more. 

Film don’t lie.  Good coaches see it and simply have their DBs ride him off of his route.  Does seem that far too often he has little interest in fighting for position.

He didn't play well vs Iowa State. He was abysmal vs Oklahoma State, like unexplainably bad.

He has regressed game over game since Bama. Obviously the sample size is small and he’s likely to improve after the bye, both because it’s a chance to get your shit together and because he can’t actually get much worse than this past Saturday, so not a lot of room to continue regressing. But it’s a fair point. It’s also strange because in the same QB room, Hudson Card very obviously progressed noticeably over the offseason.

Hopefully the bye will be a good thing for Ewers.

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

He kept looking in for the ball and the ball was overthrown on the outside so he needed to take his eyes off the ball and look the other direction. If the ball was overthrown to the inside, I don't think Worthy would have a problem picking the ball up. However, sometimes, for little guys, the helmet gets in the way and screws up vision when having to turn your head away from the ball.

There was a play I remember where the ball went outside and Worthy looked inside. The Safety was helping over top to the inside of Worthy and he turned toward help. I am not sure if he turned outside, he would have caught the ball. Its hard to tell when the WR is drifting inside and the ball is drifting outside. I do know leading the receiver to the outside (and space) was the proper throw. This goes to more than tracking the ball. It goes to understanding coverages and what is happening on the field, outside of just running your route. 

• Hook 'Em 4

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

He has regressed game over game since Bama. Obviously the sample size is small and he’s likely to improve after the bye, both because it’s a chance to get your shit together and because he can’t actually get much worse than this past Saturday, so not a lot of room to continue regressing. But it’s a fair point. It’s also strange because in the same QB room, Hudson Card very obviously progressed noticeably over the offseason.

Hopefully the bye will be a good thing for Ewers.

I dont think he has regressed. I think people have had better game plans. Bama left their CBs on an island and did not get much pressure on Quinn (they did better vs Card). Simple read, just a matter of throwing it. ISU had the drop 8 and it made Quinn have to read the field and they are extremely disciplined. OSU did some 3 high, some man with bracket coverage on Worthy, and they probably had more pressures on the QB then any other team this year. I just think the challenged are changing. Quinn failed this one. I hope he learns and passes the next

• Hook 'Em 1

Athletic: Top high school QB recruits: How the nation’s elite prospects fared over the weekend

Spoiler

Arch Manning

School: New Orleans Isidore Newman
Committed to: Texas
Ranking: No. 1 nationally, No. 1 QB (247Sports Composite)

After a week off, Manning and Newman began district play with a 31-14 victory over Metairie Park Country Day. The Greenies are 6-1 and have two games remaining on the regular-season schedule before the start of the playoffs (they are expected to get a first-round bye). Perhaps more importantly, Manning continues to play some of his best football, which included breaking yet another school record Friday night on senior night.

The five-star Texas commit had already broken Newman records for career passing touchdowns — previously held by his uncle Peyton — and career passing yards — previously held by his uncle Eli. But Friday night, when he went 16-of-20 passing for 258 yards and four touchdowns, he accounted for the 129th touchdown of his career, now a school record. Newman coach Nelson Stewart said that the previous record for career total TDs belonged to former Stanford wide receiver Jay Tyler, who scored 127 touchdowns while at Newman as a rusher, receiver and returner.

Manning slipped through a hole and launched this ball downfield on third-and-29 for one of his bigger throws of the night:

There was also this touchdown, when he hit his receiver in stride in the back of the end zone:

Stewart said that Manning’s command of the offense continues to show through every week. But the area of Manning’s game that impresses him most?

“This is what I told Sark (Texas coach Steve Sarkisian) and those guys, is how he extends plays,” Stewart said earlier this month. “When it breaks down, the play’s not over. He reverses out, whether it’s left or right. He doesn’t force things throwing across his body. He can throw on point. … Those little things, I think, just matter.”

Newman plays at King Charter next wee

k.

• Hook 'Em 1

The sad this is, worthy can do whatever the heck he wants. Regardless of his flaws he still way better than the other WRs on the roster and we will probably pay him whatever still to stay. He can do whatever he wants whether we like it or not.

Hopefully we can get a stud this year.

1 hour ago, utexas8 said:

The sad this is, worthy can do whatever the heck he wants. Regardless of his flaws he still way better than the other WRs on the roster and we will probably pay him whatever still to stay. He can do whatever he wants whether we like it or not.

Hopefully we can get a stud this year.

100%.  I think what is frustrating is he Biletnikoff potential if he is coachable and will work on becoming a complete receiver.  If he has the same problems next year he's giving up a lot of money on his first contract.

8 hours ago, Vertigo said:

One thing that drives me nuts is how he does not fight back to the field on go routes. He just stays pushed out to the sidelines and the ball consistently hits exactly where he is but about 5 yards inside. Asking Ewers to put the ball 3 inches from the sideline every time is not really fair. Worthy is really good, but he has a lot of development to do to become a true all around receiver. He is fast as shit, but he can't survive on go routes his whole life. 

He’s also listed 165 lbs.  needs the Colt McCoy sophomore workout program.

Colt came back yoked just junior year.

On 10/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, Harvdog said:

Ewers was off the whole game. Worthy dropped another TD pass that cost us at least a trip to OT.  That’s 3 games where his drops have cost us.  We lost on the road to the #11 team in the country.  We had 14 penalties.  14!!.  Recruits aren’t changing their minds because of this.  We need another WR and better DB play.  We need another Safety.  Having Cook miss the 2nd half hurt.  We have a week off to get healthy and win out.  This team can still win the Big XII

I didn't realize Cook was out the 2nd half. Damn, no wonder Taafe was getting so much time. I know Watts went out again. It's again no coincidence that OSU got on track when we had our backups playing in the back 7. This team has a lot of holes.

43 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I didn't realize Cook was out the 2nd half. Damn, no wonder Taafe was getting so much time. I know Watts went out again. It's again no coincidence that OSU got on track when we had our backups playing in the back 7. This team has a lot of holes.

I took note of this when they sent Taafe on a corner blitz that didn’t get home and surprise, surprise TD.  

C’mon man, 

Its Spencer Sanders they’re not running a play that takes more than a few seconds and he probably just QB runs if there’s pressure.  Even if Taafe gets home it would be no easy feat to bring down Sanders from a size and want to perspective.  Of course the blitz is picked up and they casually throw a TD to the side of the blitz after a couple broken tackles.  Game over.

I took note of this when they sent Taafe on a corner blitz that didn’t get home and surprise, surprise TD.  

C’mon man, 
Its Spencer Sanders they’re not running a play that takes more than a few seconds and he probably just QB runs if there’s pressure.  Even if Taafe gets home it would be no easy feat to bring down Sanders from a size and want to perspective.  Of course the blitz is picked up and they casually throw a TD to the side of the blitz after a couple broken tackles.  Game over.

Was that the blitz that came from the damn sideline or am I thinking of another one?

22 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

Cook and Baxter are the 2 I'm most confident in. Cook has been most vocal about "Texas has the scheme not the players." It was the reason he committed here over aggy. Baxter has been effusive in his comments on Sark and Choice. 

I hope you're right. Baxter is one of the members of the class I'm LEAST confident in. I think that one's going to be a wild ride all the way to signing day.

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Pretty sure Guilbeau left for the locker room as well at some point in the second half

12 hours ago, tokamak said:

I hope you're right. Baxter is one of the members of the class I'm LEAST confident in. I think that one's going to be a wild ride all the way to signing day.

why? He hasn't shied away with his pro UT tweets.  Hell his next tweet after the FSU official tweet, said relax lol..