Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

51 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

why? He hasn't shied away with his pro UT tweets.  Hell his next tweet after the FSU official tweet, said relax lol..

Nothing more than the situation. The Florida schools and everyone in the SEC is going to keep hammering him. He doesn't have any prior connection to Texas and we're gonna end our season 7-5. I'm sure our NIL situation is good, but so far we haven't gone above and beyond for individual recruits that are not QBs. Basically if we end up signing him, Sark and Choice will have done an incredible job with the relationship.

2 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Nothing more than the situation. The Florida schools and everyone in the SEC is going to keep hammering him. He doesn't have any prior connection to Texas and we're gonna end our season 7-5. I'm sure our NIL situation is good, but so far we haven't gone above and beyond for individual recruits that are not QBs. Basically if we end up signing him, Sark and Choice will have done an incredible job with the relationship.

sure, I guess but nothing has happened to even suggest that he may leave.  Derek Williams, MM are more of a roller coaster feeling than Baxter is.. by a longshot imo

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Unconcerned and our NIL situation is more than good, not that this involves anything in terms of recruiting

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Our interior DL looks much different than last year. They are the strongest part of the defense. Man we need some talent infusion on this defense.

Ojomo, Coburn and Sweat are all gone after this season.  You have Murphy, Collins, VB, Bledsoe, Bryant.. Murphy is a stud, Collins is unpredictable, VB is ok, and Bledsoe and Bryant are unknowns as of now.  With Sydir Mitchell coming, HICKS would be a HUGE addition to the interior of our defense.  I don't think we have a strong unit along the Defense anywhere heading into the '23 season.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

Ojomo, Coburn and Sweat are all gone after this season.  You have Murphy, Collins, VB, Bledsoe, Bryant.. Murphy is a stud, Collins is unpredictable, VB is ok, and Bledsoe and Bryant are unknowns as of now.  With Sydir Mitchell coming, HICKS would be a HUGE addition to the interior of our defense.  I don't think we have a strong unit along the Defense anywhere heading into the '23 season.

Yep. We are losing experienced players at every level of this defense, and we have seen the drop-off when they aren't playing in the back 7. Going to need portals at each level to help with the rotations next year or we will be relying on 1st and 2nd year players all across the 2 deep. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas has blown a lot of games in the last two years in the second half, and especially the fourth quarter. Lack of depth is certainly a factor. Guys always say they aren’t tired, but that’s not reality. Quality two deep lines are critical for success. Hicks would have a huge impact. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, D3zii said:

I’d rather Have Hill . Yea I want both but I think we’ll be stronger in the interior than at LB. .
Need I say Vasek and Akana might be even more important. We need an edge in the worst way 

to be fair, Hill (17 in composite/27 in 247)/Hicks (9 in composite, 12 in 247) are a drastically different tier of guy than Vasek (127 in composite, 199 in 247) and Akana (94 in composite, but 42 in Top247)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NoName said:

to be fair, Hill (17 in composite/27 in 247)/Hicks (9 in composite, 12 in 247) are a drastically different tier of guy than Vasek (127 in composite, 199 in 247) and Akana (94 in composite, but 42 in Top247)

No truer words said but I’m talking about as far as team needs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Texas has blown a lot of games in the last two years in the second half, and especially the fourth quarter. Lack of depth is certainly a factor. Guys always say they aren’t tired, but that’s not reality. Quality two deep lines are critical for success. Hicks would have a huge impact. 

It's not the DL this year. It's Taafe, Brooks, Johnson, Tucker-Dorsey, Crawford, and #43. But yes, we need Hicks, Hill, and the recent decommited kid from Oklahoma State.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

I noticed in the Okie State game, Crawford looks HUGE. Is there any chance he moves down to LB? Also I think the kid who just decommitted from ok st is considered a weak side lb right?

You don't want Crawford having to diagnose anything. He's best when you keep shit simple so he can run to ball and hit the ball. Like on special teams.

• Hook 'Em 2

Markis Deal has tentative official visit date to Texas

Gerry Hamilton•6 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

Markis Deal (Tim Verghese/On3)

On3 Consensus 4-star defensive lineman Markis Deal has locked in an official visit date to Texas assuming the playoff schedule matches up.

The 6-foot-4.5, 280-pound talented two-way lineman is tentatively scheduled to make his fifth and final official visit November 12 for the Longhorns game against TCU. That is the same weekend On3 Consensus 5-star tight end Duce Robinson is in town, and Louisville verbal DeAndre Moore Jr. is expected to make an official.

The visit to Texas will be the second for Deal this season. He attended the Alabama-Texas game September 10. Deal also made a late summer visit to Texas with one source believing the Longhorns vaulted to the lead late in July.

The Deal family continues to have a strong relationship with Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis.

The DFW area prospect headed into September with Texas and Georgia in front of TCU, Oklahoma and Arkansas. That has shifted during the season headed into November. The Horned Frogs have hosted Deal and family members twice this season for unofficial visits. The No. 104 ranked prospect in the On3 Consensus took in TCU wins over Oklahoma and Kansas State in October.

Deal made an official visit to TCU in late may, followed by June officials to USC and Arkansas.

Deal doubles as a talented thrower in track and field. He posted a personal best of 56’10” in the shot put, and 160’4″ in the discus last spring. He qualified for state in the shot put.

• Hook 'Em 3