Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

David Hicks remains in contact with the Texas Longhorns

Gerry Hamilton•10 minutes

Article written by:Gerry Hamilton

GHamilton_On3

David Hicks Jr. (Tim Verghese/On3)

Katy, Texas – On3 Consensus 5-star defensive lineman David Hicks remains in contact with the Texas Longhorns.

The 6-foot-4, 270-pound technically advanced lineman committed to Texas A&M September 28, but that didn’t end his recruitment. The Aggies struggles on the field this season have opened the door for the competition, which includes Texas.

“I talk to Oklahoma still, Florida, Oregon and Texas.” Hicks told On3 Thursday afternoon. “I plan on maybe taking a visit to Oregon, official to Oklahoma and maybe Texas.”

The communication between Hicks and Texas never ceased following his commitment to the Aggies. And that communication has increased in recent weeks.

“Yes sir, Texas has a shot. Coach (Bo) Davis is a really good coach. And Coach Sark is a really good coach. Being able to play for two really good coaches, and two really good minds.”

Hicks has spoken with Bo Davis twice this week, including Wednesday night.

“I talked to Coach Bo Davis last night (Wednesday). He’s a really good guy. I feel like he’s a really great coach. He’s coached a lot of really good players just looking at his background. He knows the game really well.”

The Longhorns are likely to get the No. 6 ranked prospect in the 2023 cycle on campus soon. And that could be November 12.

“Hope fully I can (visit). They want me to come up for the TCU game. I’m not sure if I can make it yet.”

Hicks feels like Texas A&M is on the cusp

Despite Hicks being a less than solid commitment to Texas A&M, the Houston area star believes the Aggies aren’t far off from seeing success on the field.

“I feel like A&M is playing really good defense, defensive line wise. I feel like they like one little thing. One missed play, one missed tackle and I just feel like they are on the cusp of making a run.”

Hicks talks to a number of members of the Aggies staff with Elijah Robinson being the key.

“I talk to Coach Nick, Coach (D.J.) Durkin and Coach (Elijah) Robinson. I talked to them all when I was up there last weekend. They are just basically telling me I can come in and play, and help the team a lot more. Just learn from some really great guys, and some great guys that are already on the team.”

Hicks on the teams in contention

Oklahoma: Really just I’m a priority guy for them. And just conversations with Coach (Todd) Bates and I, and how important I am to them. We have a really good relationship.

Oregon: I really like Oregon, especially Coach Tosh Lupoi. Tosh is a really great guy. I like being around him. He’s a really high energy guy. Really, the whole staff there. I’ve been out there twice. The last time was in June for my official visit.

Hicks is likely to make an official visit to Oklahoma November 19 when the Sooners host rival Oklahoma State. The Sooners offered Paetow teammate and fellow Texas A&M verbal Daymion Sanford Wednesday night.

The only way Texas has a shot with Hicks is if they somehow very quickly hire a new DC that runs a known scheme that Hicks' dad likes. If they did that and retained Davis, they'd land him. The money will be there wherever. The issue with Oregon is hard to fix in that it's in Eugene. I'm assuming he winds up at Oklahoma unless Georgia or Bama make an appearance.

49 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

So I guess BV wasn't as upset as some of the ou $9.95ers alluded to?

It turns out that Brent Venables has principles that are very fungible when it comes to recruiting. I can't really say that's a bad thing for OU, I guess. The Hicks family might as well have put a "kick me" sign on Venables' back the day he committed to ATM. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Humidor: Hicks, Hill, Greathouse, 2024 offers, and lots of team and recruiting hoops

Justin Wells•7 minutes

Article written by:Justin Wells

(Chad Simmons/On3)

Inside Texas looks at the latest in football and basketball recruiting, including hoops team news in Friday’s Humidor.

David Hicks, DL, Katy (Texas) Paetow – Texas A&M commit

Inside Texas reported this morning that On3 Consensus 5-star and Texas A&M commitment David Hicks Jr. has spoken with Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis twice this week. And that Texas is pushing to get Hicks on campus November 12. Interesting intel is that it’s just been Davis talking to Hicks and family. Steve Sarkisian hasn’t spoken with Hicks Jr. of late. Obviously the playoffs are a potential factor in an November 12 visit weekend. Paetow High must win by 21 points tonight over Tompkins to get into the playoffs per a discussion Thursday.

IT feels like Hicks will step foot on campus before a final decision is made, assuming Texas continues to push. The feeling leaving Paetow High Thursday was Oklahoma has the advantage over Oregon, Texas, Florida and everyone else trying to flip the Aggie soft commitment. 

Another interesting note from Thursday. Texas A&M is in the same situation with On3 Consensus 5-star linebacker Anthony Hill (Denton/Ryan). He’s considered a soft commit by IT. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

and retained Davis

No :(

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

He's parroting exactly what Jimbo says in his press conferences.  It's impressive Hicks can translate the words from gibberish.

Just for the laughs I recommend opening this in youtube, clicking on settings button on the bottom right, then changing playback speed to 0.5. Entertainment value would only increase from a few shots or a bong rip. The total gibberish even at half-speed is remarkable. His tears and defensiveness really stand out too.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

We aren’t firing PK.

I’ll keep wishing like the rest of you.

Depends on how the season plays out I would assume. There has to be a fall guy if we go 1-3 or 0-4, the former of which is a very real possibility. 3-1 or even 2-2 and I agree with you that Sark probably keeps status quo. 

24 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Just for the laughs I recommend opening this in youtube, clicking on settings button on the bottom right, then changing playback speed to 0.5. Entertainment value would only increase from a few shots or a bong rip. The total gibberish even at half-speed is remarkable. His tears and defensiveness really stand out too.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Depends on how the season plays out I would assume. There has to be a fall guy if we go 1-3 or 0-4, the former of which is a very real possibility. 3-1 or even 2-2 and I agree with you that Sark probably keeps status quo. 

Unfortunately, we've seen this play out before.  I wish our HC would take the initiative and make a change before being forced to show his hand when it is all but too late. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Creasy Bear said:

Unfortunately, we've seen this play out before.  I wish our HC would take the initiative and make a change before being forced to show his hand when it is all but too late. 

It is amazing how Strong (a defensive coach) had the D pretty good but left the O up to Shawn Watson which cratered the program.  Herman was an offensive coach and let the D fall apart under Orlando and now Sark is following the same script with a good offense and terrible defense.  You would think it wouldn't be that hard to get a good coach on the other side of the ball that you are not as good at.  That being said, I still think the talent we have on defense is pretty horrible both last year and this year so it may not matter who the D coordinator is until we get better talent and depth so when we get an injury we aren't playing true freshmen or walk ons.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

last drive right there and then we went down and didnt kick the field goal felt like it was one play there that we do that it's a different ball game but we moved the ball and then they got it and the defense stopped em last drive we had two plays we called a pass but all game we had that and then the guy went inside but we practiced that but if you make one play we're right there

6P1Y.gif

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The only way Texas has a shot with Hicks is if they somehow very quickly hire a new DC that runs a known scheme that Hicks' dad likes. If they did that and retained Davis, they'd land him. The money will be there wherever. The issue with Oregon is hard to fix in that it's in Eugene. I'm assuming he winds up at Oklahoma unless Georgia or Bama make an appearance.

I don't really know why you wouldn't like the scheme we are running this year on the DL if I were Hicks. They are not doing the soak up blocks bullshit that they did last year, they are letting those guys penetrate and their draft stocks are all rising because of it. You could see two or three guys drafted this year off the DL. Coburn, Sweat, and potentially Ojomo. 

19 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

It is amazing how Strong (a defensive coach) had the D pretty good but left the O up to Shawn Watson which cratered the program.  Herman was an offensive coach and let the D fall apart under Orlando and now Sark is following the same script with a good offense and terrible defense.  You would think it wouldn't be that hard to get a good coach on the other side of the ball that you are not as good at.  That being said, I still think the talent we have on defense is pretty horrible both last year and this year so it may not matter who the D coordinator is until we get better talent and depth so when we get an injury we aren't playing true freshmen or walk ons.  

Mack wasn't a good offensive or defensive coach and he fielded some pretty good teams. And I don't remember Strong having anything good at Texas.

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I don't really know why you wouldn't like the scheme we are running this year on the DL if I were Hicks. They are not doing the soak up blocks bullshit that they did last year, they are letting those guys penetrate and their draft stocks are all rising because of it. You could see two or three guys drafted this year off the DL. Coburn, Sweat, and potentially Ojomo. 

because recruits go off of the narrative they've been told. It's hard to change that conventional wisdom, once set, absent large, easy to see results that run counter.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Mack wasn't a good offensive or defensive coach and he fielded some pretty good teams. And I don't remember Strong having anything good at Texas.

Strong had a great defense the first year. It got worse and worse as he brought his guys in and coached them more.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

37 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Strong had a good D for one year when it wasn’t his guys. Our defenses were terrible from there on. He was nowhere near just a good OC away from being good. 

And the primary issue with our defense the last two years haven’t been talent. Both defenses would have to be performing at a much higher level before talent becomes the limiting factor. on top of that, PK is a terrible recruiter, so some of the talent deficiency is on him. We needed to pull a guy like Sanders from the portal, but PK couldn’t get the job done. 

Our coaching on D has been shit for two years now. the problem is way more on the side of coaching than talent. 

28 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

We have PK AND Gary Patterson coaching the defense, what more of a DC do you want? If GP was the DC in title would that make you feel better? Might as well get D. sanders to coach the defense 

Patterson is not our DC, and he’s not functioning in that role. If GP was actually the DC in function, our defense would look very different.  We have PK as our DC and it’s a problem, just like it was last year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

To be clear, I don’t even have a strong opinion about whether PK should stay or go, and I’ve seen the differences in last year and this year. But I’m not passing on my opinion. I’m passing on what’s going on with the recruitment according to some. 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Tom Cruise What GIF

Not sure if serious.

The linebacker and edge talent on these teams has been among the worst I’ve ever seen at Texas.

The disconnect between the front and back of the defense as well as situational playcalling and alignment are far worse problems than talent IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

At what speed should I play this so I can actually understand half of what this hill billy, used car salesman says? 

1 hour ago, Fico said:

Lol, wut?

50 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Tom Cruise What GIF

Not sure if serious.

The linebacker and edge talent on these teams has been among the worst I’ve ever seen at Texas.

All that is true, but the coaching has been a bigger issue the last two years. Look at how terrible our DTs played last year compared to this year.it’s the exact same guys.  This coaching staff wanted them to two gap and read and react, which is not what any of them do best. It made our DTs look way worse than they were. People said all offseason we didn’t have any DL talent, but it turns out we had a ton of talent at DT, it just didn’t look like it because PK failed to identify their skill set.

If you look at the defense as a whole, there’s only one starter this year who wasn’t on the team last year. While it’s good that our defense has improved this year, it’s also a sign of what a terrible coaching job the staff did last year. They chose to play guys like BJ Foster, Schooler, Brockermeyer and Bush all year long. 

There’s no doubt our defensive talent sucked last year, but the coaching staff still massively underperformed. And we have a few talent issues on defense this year, namely edge, but that’s also the coaching staff’s fault for failing to address that two years in a row. We have the talent to be playing way better on defense than we are. 

The talent issues are definitely a big problem but, this coaching staff hasn’t coached anywhere near to the talent level they have. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 8

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The current list of priority, allegedly, is 1) Greathouse, 2) Moore, 3) Parker. They'll supposedly take one of them and some people think that Greathouse is now leaning Texas. They also *think* they have a stud from the portal. They also *think* that Worthy can be retained. They also *think* that Hall and Neyor will be back. 

Good news on all fronts.

Greathouse and Cook could/should contribute immediately. If Neyor and Hall do come back, there is no funny business with Worthy, Brenen Thompson continues to stay on an upward trend and they add a stud from the portal, WR should be a decent to good spot heading into the spring.

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The current list of priority, allegedly, is 1) Greathouse, 2) Moore, 3) Parker. They'll supposedly take one of them and some people think that Greathouse is now leaning Texas. They also *think* they have a stud from the portal. They also *think* that Worthy can be retained. They also *think* that Hall and Neyor will be back. 

Is this a stud to be named later as in theres definitely bound to be a stud who enters the portal or is this stud a specifically known stud. 

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Good news on all fronts.

Greathouse and Cook could/should contribute immediately. If Neyor and Hall do come back, there is no funny business with Worthy, Brenen Thompson continues to stay on an upward trend and they add a stud from the portal, WR should be a decent to good spot heading into the spring.

Greathouse went from shitty to an immediate contributor. Must be having a good year.

• Haha 5