Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

16 minutes ago, Bevo said:

For the DL, though, my guess is we go JUCO and portal instead. Also, for DL we will probably go with Deal. We made offers though to some guy from Illinois and Justin Benton from GA.

We are still after Markis Deal and he's OVing this weekend.  The JUCO DL we just offered is visiting this weekend as well.  Guy that was at aggy for a bit, Hunter?  One of the $9.95ers in the last week said the other JUCO DL we have offered should be visiting at some point as well.  I guess we've given up on Terrance Green?  Haven't heard much on that front in a while.  Hicks seems like a pipe dream until he actually shows up.  Funny thing is our interior DL is far outplaying aggy and OU.  No need paying attention to the guy we just offered from Wisocnsin, Indiana, or wherever unless he actually visits.  Am I missing anybody else on DL?  Excited about Mitchell, guy looks like an animal that probably sees the field next year since an EE.

EDIT:  Sorry, didn't realize you'd mentioned Deal, just saw JUCO/portal part.  And I forgot about the WVU commit.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 11/5/2022 at 4:16 PM, Bevo said:

Probably a bad idea to lose our best wide receiver.

He won't be the #1 receiver here if he keeps giving up on routes and dropping balls.  If Neyor hadn't gone down, he would have usurped that role by now.

Next year... Sanders, Thompson, Cook, injury returnees and/or portal refugees will gladly take those targets if he doesn't want them.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Shonen said:

He won't be the #1 receiver here if he keeps giving up on routes and dropping balls.  If Neyor hadn't gone down, he would have usurped that role by now.

Next year... Sanders, Thompson, Cook, injury returnees and/or portal refugees will gladly take those targets if he doesn't want them.

Star Trek GIF

• Hook 'Em 5

24 minutes ago, TXRed said:

Hicks need to stop buying whatever dumbo and skeletor are selling about DL development and scheme. I hope Bo can at least get him on campus and try to get him to see the obvious.

It just comes down to money up front vs money through NIL. 

Those stats make sense. I felt the interior pass rush from the DTs in K-State game was the best I've ever seen since Sark became head coach.

• Hook 'Em 4

Deal is down to us and frog. Close to home is important to the fam.  Pierce is a great eval and would love for us to flip him.  I'm not going to waste too much time on the JUCO and hope to be surprised but we are swimming in shark-infested waters trying to get get JUCO DL from the southeast.

10 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Those stats make sense. I felt the interior pass rush from the DTs in K-State game was the best I've ever seen since Sark became head coach.

Coburn's made some money this year. I mean, granted, it's UDFA to 6th round money, but hey that counts.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Deal is down to us and frog. Close to home is important to the fam.  Pierce is a great eval and would love for us to flip him.  I'm not going to waste too much time on the JUCO and hope to be surprised but we are swimming in shark-infested waters trying to get get JUCO DL from the southeast.

star-wars-theres-always-a-bigger-fish.gi

47 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Updated mocks have Coburn anywhere from late 1st to early 3rd

2nd or 3rd seems to be about right, I would be really surprised to see him sneak into the first but crazier things have happened. Now that the switch has flipped for Coburn he is a force in the middle. 

43 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

2nd or 3rd seems to be about right, I would be really surprised to see him sneak into the first but crazier things have happened. Now that the switch has flipped for Coburn he is a force in the middle. 

He is showing some ability to rush the passer from the middle. That is usually what gets a DT drafted in the 1st round. I think 2nd round is more likely at this point, with Sweat being an early 3rd day pick.

• Like 1

Sweat has more NFL upside than Coburn, imo.   Teams are going to ding Coburn for his height and lack of body definition.  Not that Sweat is Adonis, but he moves just as well as, or better than, Coburn and is significantly bigger.   Who's got the better film?  Not sure, but I don't think Coburn has any film like the safety fiasco against Alabama.

Edited by ClubWhatever

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is such a laughably bad take.

Almost as bad as when you were convinced Malachi Nelson was going to flip to aggy because they paid him for a visit. 

Speaking of aggies....has anyone done a wellness check on @Bruh Man

The best part of Malachi Nelson visiting them is they paid for it to try and pressure Novosad into flipping to them that failed miserably. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Sweat has more NFL upside that Coburn, imo.   Teams are going to ding Coburn for his height and lack of body definition.  Not that Sweat is Adonis, but he moves just as well as, or better than, Coburn and is significantly bigger.   Who's got the better film?  Not sure, but I don't think Coburn has any film like the safety fiasco against Alabama.

FWIW - Coburn leads the Big12 DL in pressures (Sweat is 5th).

In the Big12 Texas has the 4 highest graded 'Pass Rushing' DL - Coburn, Ojomo, Murphy, and then Sweat.

Coburn is PFF's second highest graded DL Pass Rusher in all of Power 5.

Coburn is PFF's 8th highest grade DL overall in Power 5

image.thumb.png.05565edf98f6e19438392235de7644a1.png 

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 8

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Did a switch flip, or did the coaches just actually start putting him in a position to succeed?

The ineffectiveness of the DTs a year ago was far more of a PK issue than a Coburn/Ojomo/Sweat one.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Lonestar88 said:

Did a switch flip, or did the coaches just actually start putting him in a position to succeed?

The ineffectiveness of the DTs a year ago was far more of a PK issue than a Coburn/Ojomo/Sweat one.

From an effort standpoint, this is easily his best year.