Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 minute ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I've been watching a lot of 2012 & 2013 LHN highlights on YouTube lately.... And I'm not convinced that Xavier Worthy is better deep threat WR than Mike Davis was.

Davis was a beast. Last season x was beating dbs deep. This season you can tell he's worked on his route running, catching balls in the middle, and he's killing defenses in the red zone. 

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

I don't know why, but I prefer Akana over Vasek. He's been high on my wishlist for a while. Seems like the staff is higher on Vasek though.

Any particular reason you prefer Akana? 

I don’t really love the fact he’s gonna already be 19 when he enrolls in school, has kind of a weird frame and then it came out that OU is recruiting him as an off ball linebacker which means there seems to be some questions about how much he’ll fill out.

As someone who said some stupid things about Vasek 8-9 months ago, I’ve been convinced by his senior play and he is the far superior player in my mind.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don’t really love the fact he’s gonna already be 19 when he enrolls in school, has kind of a weird frame and then it came out that OU is recruiting him as an off ball linebacker which means there seems to be some questions about how much he’ll fill out.

As someone who said some stupid things about Vasek 8-9 months ago, I’ve been convinced by his senior play and he is the far superior player in my mind.

I was in the same boat. I viewed Vasek before his senior year as a guy who was already maxed out. I think he has shown that he is still maturing and growing. I love his motor and his recognition. I think if he were to come here he would be a pretty salty defender off the edge. One of the main questions for him was how much weight could he gain in college. He is over 230 pounds now, I don’t think he needs to put on more than another 15 pounds or so to become a viable guy off the edge. He may never got to be a 265 lb monster, but his length really offsets leverage issues.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

I don't know why, but I prefer Akana over Vasek. He's been high on my wishlist for a while. Seems like the staff is higher on Vasek though.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

13 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I was in the same boat. I viewed Vasek before his senior year as a guy who was already maxed out. I think he has shown that he is still maturing and growing. I love his motor and his recognition. I think if he were to come here he would be a pretty salty defender off the edge. One of the main questions for him was how much weight could he gain in college. He is over 230 pounds now, I don’t think he needs to put on more than another 15 pounds or so to become a viable guy off the edge. He may never got to be a 265 lb monster, but his length really offsets leverage issues.

Ketch always throws out this crazy stat about how since the internet recruiting era started (i.e. the 2002 recruiting cycle) that over half of the 6'5 (or taller) blue-chip EDGE recruits from the state of Texas ended up being NFL draft picks. Seeing that stat makes it obvious why the UT staff had both Vasek & Bralyon Shelby as higher priorities over Akana.

At the same time I can see why folks like BornAndRaised are high on Akana. UT doesn't have any EDGE player on their roster who is a relentless high-motor speed rusher like Akana appears to be on his junior highlight film.

16 hours ago, victory88 said:

Each of his shitty games with drops and poor effort is also destroying his leverage this season.  Lets find another school that will pay him 800k to drop balls and run poor routes where he gives up half way.  We can get another WR with better results for that type of money.  Hell If we’re spending that type of money, I’d see if we can get an upgrade that can produce and let him go.

Or make it in his NIL contract that you will make "X" percent for every catch and"x" percent for td, 100 yards, etc..

9 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Now would be a great time to stop being a shit show on the road.  Sark has a golden opportunity to maybe flip Hill from aggy and go into the offseason with all the momentum for 24'. 

Tonight did wonders for both us and aggy. We need him more, he'll have better NIL opportunities here, we aren't a total shit show, and we aren't on a current 4 game losing streak who also happens to have lost to a G5 team at home. 

20 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Ketch always throws out this crazy stat about how since the internet recruiting era started (i.e. the 2002 recruiting cycle) that over half of the 6'5 (or taller) blue-chip EDGE recruits from the state of Texas ended up being NFL draft picks. Seeing that stat makes it obvious why the UT staff had both Vasek & Bralyon Shelby as higher priorities over Akana.

At the same time I can see why folks like BornAndRaised are high on Akana. UT doesn't have any EDGE player on their roster who is a relentless high-motor speed rusher like Akana appears to be on his junior highlight film.

Elevating the floor is key to success. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

So just as an intro, I view recruiting more so through a "gotta catch em all," or have the highest level, or best looking team so to speak. My football takes overall are suspect at best as I've been trying to teach it to myself for a long time. 

That being said, to me Akana seems to overall be a high drive LB that we've been missing. In my opinion our team has been missing any kind of speed rush off the edge. Now obviously his hudl is only highlights, but he appears to diagnose quickly and not give up on plays. Quick, loose, and quick processing as well. Vasek in comparison seems slightly slower to me, things take a bit longer to unfold. More of DE rather than a OLB, if that makes sense? Now the one caveat here is that Westlake plays at the pinnacle of THSFB, and I'm not sure what the competition level is for Akana. Maybe thats where I'm seeing the biggest differences.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

My guess is that they have known that these guys were going to LSU for a while but are using tonight’s game as their excuse for why they are putting in their pick. 

If you listen to the Texas recruiting guys from Horns 247 (the podcast), they occasionally will mention that they have know that a guy was going to commit for a couple of months and maybe have even written up the commitment story, but they hold onto the story.

After this amazing win, it’s easy to make it look like you think that the guy will get caught up in the excitement and give a commitment.

Back in September, Toviano chose to go to the LSU-Southern game for a visit instead of the Texas-Bama game that was the same day. The writings been on the wall for a while now.

• Hook 'Em 6

51 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

So just as an intro, I view recruiting more so through a "gotta catch em all," or have the highest level, or best looking team so to speak. My football takes overall are suspect at best as I've been trying to teach it to myself for a long time. 

That being said, to me Akana seems to overall be a high drive LB that we've been missing. In my opinion our team has been missing any kind of speed rush off the edge. Now obviously his hudl is only highlights, but he appears to diagnose quickly and not give up on plays. Quick, loose, and quick processing as well. Vasek in comparison seems slightly slower to me, things take a bit longer to unfold. More of DE rather than a OLB, if that makes sense? Now the one caveat here is that Westlake plays at the pinnacle of THSFB, and I'm not sure what the competition level is for Akana. Maybe thats where I'm seeing the biggest differences.

Ehhh…. Akana & Vasek wouldn’t gonna play the same EDGE spots. Vasek is the ideal Jack EDGE prospect, while Akana would be a Buck EDGE.

20 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Ehhh…. Akana & Vasek wouldn’t gonna play the same EDGE spots. Vasek is the ideal Jack EDGE prospect, while Akana would be a Buck EDGE.

See I agree with you, but gerry mentioned they'd only be taking vasek or akana. Wouldn't that insinuate they're viewed in the same position?

On 10/24/2022 at 11:50 AM, Burt Macklin said:

This wasn’t an isolated incident.  There’s been a lot of times this year where Worthy either can’t find the ball or does a terrible job adjusting to it. It’s an established flaw in his game. Off the top of my head, I can think of plays against ULM, Bama, and WVU where he did this, and I’m sure there’s more. 

...or times when he quits on his route.  Off the top of my head I remember 3 plays where he pulled up and the ball hit the ground 2 to 4 yards past him. If he had kept running they could have been caught.

I don't know, maybe it was just a bad camera angle,  but it didn't seem that way to me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

...or times when he quits on his route.  Off the top of my head I remember 3 plays where he pulled up and the ball hit the ground 2 to 4 yards past him. If he had kept running they could have been caught.

I don't know, maybe it was just a bad camera angle,  but it didn't seem that way to me.

Not discounting that he gives up on routes - but I also wonder if he might just be terrible at tracking the deep ball.  There have been plenty of chances this year where I just don't think he knew where the ball was/ or was going.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

There was one that landed in the end zone that I wondered about. He seemed to pull up the last few strides, and then the ball landed about three yards in front of him. I don't think he even extended his hands. That has happened over and over this season. 

• Hook 'Em 5

33 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

These post are always funny. X isn’t pulling up on balls that he can catch. Some of you really have no idea what y’all are seeing out there at times.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe. Does that make you feel better, or worse?

We had already locked in on Sark. 

Ofc ofc my bad lol

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

247 visits page is showing three OV's this weekend.

Screenshot_20221106-091325_Chrome.jpg

Some dude on IT said he wouldn’t be surprised if Vasek is flipped before this weekend.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not discounting that he gives up on routes - but I also wonder if he might just be terrible at tracking the deep ball.  There have been plenty of chances this year where I just don't think he knew where the ball was/ or was going.

I have wondered that myself.