Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

30 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am not a huge fan of taking Safeties in this class, given how many are on the roster already. You make exceptions for elite guys like Bowen and Williams. Especially Bowens, since he has elite speed. Texas is in dire need of getting faster in the back end. 

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We are playing Michael Taaffe right now. We might have numbers on the roster but majority are unproven (Allen, Coffey, LTG) or aren't playing well (Crawford). We will obviously look in the portal but we need to get at least one more safety in the class in addition to Williams and potentially look at moving someone like Austin Jordan or Brooks

Texas has a safety coming through the portal that is really fucking good barring something fucking that up in some crazy way. That said, I do not personally expect Texas to keep Derek Williams in this class. Hope I'm wrong on that one.

6 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I posted this in Johnson thread

Texas has 4 freshmen safeties on the roster. What Texas does not have is CBs. 

Quick look at CB. You have Watts (Junior), Barron (Junior), and Johnson (Soph). You can add Brooks or Jordan to that list, but the fact that there is already talking about one of them moving to safety is not giving me warm and fuzzy feelings about either one's ability to play CB at a high level. Not to mention a slow CB can become an NFL Safety, so adding CBs over Safeties is never a bad idea. 

Guilbeau just generally trash to you or what? Also, Brooks isn't rolling to safety. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas has a safety coming through the portal that is really fucking good barring something fucking that up in some crazy way. That said, I do not personally expect Texas to keep Derek Williams in this class. Hope I'm wrong on that one.

Guilbeau just generally trash to you or what? Also, Brooks isn't rolling to safety. 

missed Guilbeau. He is another Safety type. Texas is  a long way from the Akina days. I figured Austin is the likely one to move, but one of the Bobble heads said it was an either or. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I posted this in Johnson thread

Texas has 4 freshmen safeties on the roster. What Texas does not have is CBs. 

Quick look at CB. You have Watts (Junior), Barron (Junior), and Johnson (Soph). You can add Brooks or Jordan to that list, but the fact that there is already talking about one of them moving to safety is not giving me warm and fuzzy feelings about either one's ability to play CB at a high level. Not to mention a slow CB can become an NFL Safety, so adding CBs over Safeties is never a bad idea. 

Yep, I ranted about this all offseason. UT trying to get a safety in the Portal this past winter/spring didn't make sense to me becuz UT was going to have plenty of bodies to throw at the position in Fall camp. What UT didn't have enough of is outside cover CBs.

Thankfully Watts & Jamieson have been mostly healthy this season.

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Guilbeau is too slow straight line speed-wise to be an outside CB. He's a Nickel/Safety all the way.

23 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

https://247sports.com/player/pearce-spurlin-46103170/

Arch reposted a video on Instagram from this guy. I’m sure it’s nothing but I have only seen Arch post about his Newman teammates, fellow Texas commits or targets.

the UGA TE room has to be one of most loaded position groups in CFB

image.png.465654d2d0a06cb8f21dcfe8f9b1ebc1.png

• Goede was #236 in composite
  • no clue who Seither is
  • Washington was #23 in composite
  • Bowers was #105 in composite (best TE in CFB)
  • Gilbert was #5 in composite
  • Delp was #100 in composite
  • Recruit Spurlin is #134
  • Recruit Luckie is #196 (247 has him as #63 overall if that matters)

3 dudes on the preseason Mackie award list.

54 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I am not a huge fan of taking Safeties in this class, given how many are on the roster already. You make exceptions for elite guys like Bowen and Williams. Especially Bowens, since he has elite speed. Texas is in dire need of getting faster in the back end. 

The only guy in that room that isn't playing now that should help us in the next year or two is BJ Allen. I think the staff has given up on Crawford as a full time starter, Mo Blackwell is not an every down safety due to his lack of coverage skills, and JD Coffee is someone who would get recruited over by Williams and/or Bowen.