Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On 12/27/2022 at 8:57 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s been a while since I said it, so here goes: you’re a goddamned oxygen thief and a drain on this website. Look at the people he left off and tell me with a straight face that this is anything other than Hayes pumping those that pay his bills. Please do all of us a favor and go get your motherfucking shinebox you fucking jackass.

You think Hayes has a say in rankings??

9 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Please forgive my ignorance. Who of the receivers we've signed can be the deep threat we need? I only know they're good, and I'm glad they're coming here.

Niblett certainly has the speed to get separation. His hands may be a question though and he's still pretty raw

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

None of those guys are as fast as Worthy.  He has an important role as a slashing type WR.  It’s Neyor or bust as far as a guy who can go beast mode on a deep ball.  I don’t think Cook is that guy.  

Remember, Cook beat Evan Stewart in a foot race this summer. Stewart ran a 10.58 in  HS.  He may not be as fast as Worthy, but he is plenty fast to stretch the defense.

• Hook 'Em 7

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

None of those guys are as fast as Worthy.  He has an important role as a slashing type WR.  It’s Neyor or bust as far as a guy who can go beast mode on a deep ball.  I don’t think Cook is that guy.  

Niblett is as fast or faster if going by track times. Cook is plenty fast too.

Worthy was a 10.55 guy as a Sophomore compared with Niblett who was a 10.58 guy as a Sophomore. Niblett has a PR of 10.41

Obviously we know about Brenen Thompson as well. 10.1-10.2 speed.

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Speed isn’t the issue in the WR room. The issue is, outside of Cook, they are all fast and raw. Brennen and Niblett have the speed. Can they run routes? Make contested catches? What’s their catch radius? Texas WR has shown the ability to athlete things this year, they haven’t been great at doing WR things. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

The problem is not catch radius, it's that Texas had exactly one guy that could stretch the defense routinely after Neyor got hurt. Defenses could easily take him away with bracket coverage, but Ewers still decided to try to push the ball down the field anyway.

Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, and Smith are all in the same mold as Worthy, Nibblett, Cook, Thompson, Moore, and Red. Neyor would be the biggest WR since Stark's return to college football.

You want to make Worthy's job easier, lineup 2 or more WRs with his ability to stretch the field. Next year, Texas should be able to do that with or without Neyor.

Edited by HtownHorn

20 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The problem is not catch radius, it's that Texas had exactly one guy that could stretch the defense routinely after Neyor got hurt. Defenses could easily take him away with bracket coverage, but Ewers still decided to try to push the ball down the field anyway.

Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, and Smith are all in the same mold as Worthy, Nibblett, Cook, Thompson, Moore, and Red. Neyor would be the biggest WR since Stark's return to college football.

You want to make Worthy's job easier, lineup 2 or more WRs with his ability to stretch the field. Next year, Texas should be able to do that with or without Neyor.

Quinn made X's job pretty damn easy on that should have been a TD throw.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm sure Evan Stewart err um I mean whoever we bring in from the portal will help there. 

Momma Thompson made it seem like he might be coming here too.. BTW that woman is toxic. She was on spaces earlier griping at Quinn for not throwing to her son who was open.. but I remember Quinn having to throw the ball away because BT got stonewalled on the LOS.

She is also upset that Marion gives preferential treatment to Worthy by letting him drive his car back to the facilities instead of taking the bus with the rest of the WRs

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Momma Thompson made it seem like he might be coming here too.. BTW that woman is toxic. She was on spaces earlier griping at Quinn for not throwing to her son who was open.. but I remember Quinn having to throw the ball away because BT got stonewalled on the LOS.

She is also upset that Marion gives preferential treatment to Worthy by letting him drive his car back to the facilities instead of taking the bus with the rest of the WRs

At this point, I would much rather see Brenen get Worthy's snaps, tbh. It couldn't much of a drop off, if any

• Hook 'Em 2