Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Has anyone seen Gerry say what he thinks of Mitchell as a prospect? Him being an 87 on On3 certainly doesn’t match up with Texas, A&M and UGA all going after him hard. 
Georgia wants him. I want him.
  • Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

A few thoughts:

1) I know I've made ranting about the numbers a meme with you guys at this point, but just to hammer it home, Texas doesn't give a shit if it signs 35 guys this cycle. Or adds 10 guys from the portal. Not saying either happens, but there are no counters. They'll take developmental guys and keep going after big names at the same positions. There's zero operational risk to doing so.

2) It's all about cultural risk/impact and Sarkisian believes he's building a meritocracy. Don't like who we're recruiting at your position? Get better or get out. 

3) I have said it repeatedly lately, but Texas is not going to get beaten due to money at this point. Pretty much in any sport, but for certain in football. Guys may go elsewhere that Texas was willing to throw money at, but Texas isn't going to be beaten just due to money.

4) They'll take more OL. There are several they're going to stay on, irrespective of the 4 they've committed or the 7 they just signed. 

5) I expect Texas to land Shelby, Cook, Gullette, the SOC edge, and 4 out of their 5 top DB targets. 

6) I will be surprised if Texas doesn't land Baxter.

7) I will be shocked if Texas lands Hicks, who's being shopped and who isn't in love with UT's scheme for his position.

8 ) Shelby's little sister is going into 8th grade and can already dunk. There is additional upside for landing him if the UT WBB program is a top 5 program soon.

Take my money!!!!!1111

fortune teller GIF

• Like 1

Just now, Hiphopopotamos said:

Per Gerry - RB Cedric Baxter has been in touch with the Texas staff multiple time since last night.  Appears to be a good sign.

Do I hear 55 got a 60 do I hear 65 do I hear 65 got a 70 do a hear a 75

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, cdain3 said:

56 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Malik Muhammad OV visit video.

Yes - its 40 minutes - but its the most in depth video on an official visit that I've seen.  Kind of crazy just how much is going on and how many different players the coaches are juggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-dNmpEzaRQ

Youtube won't allow the video to embed.

I'm watching this now and so far it's a bunch of video of people standing around waiting for stuff while talking indistinctly.

I'm pretty sure MM leaned over and said "hey man let me hold 20 dollars real quick" to Terry Joseph at 2:37 🤣

Gary Patterson sighting at 7:27. Not sweating.

Jamel Johnson in the background at 10:38. Haven't heard much on him, hope he had a good time.

Byron Murphy (I think) hanging out at 13:22.

MHP at 14:05.

WTF are they talking about at 34:05? Kinda sounds like they're getting down to business on NIL, lol.

Arch again at 38:15.

Edited by tokamak
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

If Texas lands Braylan Shelby, Billy Walton, and Tausili Akana, why the fuck do they need Colton Vasek?

Couple of points from Standish, re: the above - 

- he is still -ahem - "fading" Akana's chances. (Comments in the Huddle post above.)

- on Shelby vs. Vasek - "Shelby is the hybrid EDGE Linebacker they call BUCK or X while Vasek is being recruited as the bigger "JACK" true EDGE"

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, cdain3 said:
15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:
Per Gerry - RB Cedric Baxter has been in touch with the Texas staff multiple times since last night.  Appears to be a good sign.

Damn he told us the bad news....

Mutiple times,

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

8 ) Shelby's little sister is going into 8th grade and can already dunk. There is additional upside for landing him if the UT WBB program is a top 5 program soon.

Big time volleyball player as well

Jesus.
Ran out of eligibility more than 2k years ago leaving the sorry lot listed above. Their attempts at parting the sea for our running backs result in mixed success at best.

I hear help is on the way
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Brockermeyer in last on that board.

Shocking news. 

No need to kick a dude when he's down. The guy is 7 months removed from a torn ACL. I'm surprised he's even running at full speed at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 7

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Now and again I reflect on how ballsy it is to offer up ratings to 4 decimal places. 

Some econ (?) professor wrote a paper that concluded that the more decimal places you show, the more likely people will assume/believe that your calculations are precise.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No need to kick a dude when he's down. The guy is 7 months removed from a torn ACL. I'm surprised he's even running at full speed at this point. 

Plus he has to live with the weight of having a few loser brothers.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I imagine he's been running full speed for a while - albeit in a straight line.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Some econ (?) professor wrote a paper that concluded that the more decimal places you show, the more likely people will assume/believe that your calculations are precise.

If someone asks me how far away something is I tell them 18 minutes or 21 minutes and it 20. They are impressed by the certainty. Never fails. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

He calculated it as a 0.712304846261 correlation.

• Like 1

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

If someone asks me how far away something is I tell them 18 minutes or 21 minutes and it 20. They are impressed by the certainty. Never fails. 

If I asked someone how far away something was, and their response was "18 minutes or 21 minutes and it 20. ..." I wouldn't be impressed.

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Vacek has short arms and isn’t nearly as athletic as other guys they’re on. Also, he’s a magnet for the Westlake honks on this board. I’m rooting for Oregon. 

If you combined the tiny hands of Hudson Card with the tiny arms of Vacek and the tiny brain of Reuben Owens’ father, you’d have Oompah Loompah, the football recruit. 

Or Taylor Hamm, aggy recruiter savant.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

If I'm reading this right, and I'd like to think I am, Devon Campbell is the same speed as Brockermeyer.

More I see this top speed, the less value I think it has. No way Ford is much faster than Overshown. Not talking about he ability to play the position, just a race between the 2.