Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

20 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don’t think losses have much to do with it but I think the momentum and celebration of a win with the recruits goes a long way.  

Yep, recruits like big moments to commit during. May not change the final decision but definitely the timing.

Thinking out loud here because I like Pimpton and feel like he could be a good fit in the offense, but do we really need to be taking 3 TE's without one of them being a true difference maker? Feels like that spot could be better used elsewhere.

Obviously will be probably have some attrition at the position this offseason at the bottom of the depth chart, but we are probably still heading into next year with 5-6 scholarship TE's which is a healthy enough number. Randle is probably headed for a RS, but Shannon seems like a guy who could play a few snaps early (don't know if Karic is hitting the portal to try to go somewhere he can play OL).

I guess maybe if you lose Billingsley (not sure where he'd go but yeah...), Davis and Liebrock then the position thins out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Thinking out loud here because I like Pimpton and feel like he could be a good fit in the offense, but do we really need to be taking 3 TE's without one of them being a true difference maker? Feels like that spot could be better used elsewhere.

Obviously will be probably have some attrition at the position this offseason at the bottom of the depth chart, but we are probably still heading into next year with 5-6 scholarship TE's which is a healthy enough number. Randle is probably headed for a RS, but Shannon seems like a guy who could play a few snaps early (don't know if Karic is hitting the portal to try to go somewhere he can play OL).

I guess maybe if you lose Billingsley (not sure where he'd go but yeah...), Davis and Liebrock then the position thins out. 

I would think they could sell Karic on taking over at RT

Roach

Spoiler

The Longhorns have been looking for interior defensive line bodies in the 2023 class, and they entered the race for Roderick Pierce a few weeks ago. The three-star Wisconsin commit from Oak Lawn (IL) Brother Rice was offered by Bo Davis and has been in contact with him ever since. According to sources we spoke with, Pierce is close to locking in an official visit to Austin.

The big defensive lineman will see Michigan this weekend, and the Wolverines are thought to be the presumptive favorite to flip him. While a visit isn't set in stone, we are told Pierce had contact with the Texas staff on Wednesday night and we are told a visit is possible either would happen either the first or second weekend of December. While Michigan is the favorite, we're told that Texas has been able to get a foot in. If he makes it to campus, the Longhorns could become a player for him late.

The 247Sports recruiting profile for Pierce reads as follows:

"Well-built, put-together prospect who does not carry any unnecessary weight. Shows quickness off the snap. Plays with great motor. Shows solid agility for a big man but can still keep working in that area. Frame may not support lots more weight but there is still some room for growth. Can take on blocks and stop the run. Well coached and plays with good technique and pad level. Very college ready in terms of his build and approach. Very high floor type of prospect who looks like a safe bet to be a Power Five starter. Can play either nose or three-tech."

At 6-foot-3, 290 pounds, Pierce is ranked as the No. 51 defensive lineman in the country and No. 9 overall prospect in Illinois, according to 247Sports.

32 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Roach

Hide contents

The Longhorns have been looking for interior defensive line bodies in the 2023 class, and they entered the race for Roderick Pierce a few weeks ago. The three-star Wisconsin commit from Oak Lawn (IL) Brother Rice was offered by Bo Davis and has been in contact with him ever since. According to sources we spoke with, Pierce is close to locking in an official visit to Austin.

The big defensive lineman will see Michigan this weekend, and the Wolverines are thought to be the presumptive favorite to flip him. While a visit isn't set in stone, we are told Pierce had contact with the Texas staff on Wednesday night and we are told a visit is possible either would happen either the first or second weekend of December. While Michigan is the favorite, we're told that Texas has been able to get a foot in. If he makes it to campus, the Longhorns could become a player for him late.

The 247Sports recruiting profile for Pierce reads as follows:

"Well-built, put-together prospect who does not carry any unnecessary weight. Shows quickness off the snap. Plays with great motor. Shows solid agility for a big man but can still keep working in that area. Frame may not support lots more weight but there is still some room for growth. Can take on blocks and stop the run. Well coached and plays with good technique and pad level. Very college ready in terms of his build and approach. Very high floor type of prospect who looks like a safe bet to be a Power Five starter. Can play either nose or three-tech."

At 6-foot-3, 290 pounds, Pierce is ranked as the No. 51 defensive lineman in the country and No. 9 overall prospect in Illinois, according to 247Sports.

At 6'3" 290lbs, how much weight does he need to gain? I think any guy in a college weight program can increase his weight by 10%. It just seems like such a dumb comment when talking about a guy who is already 290lbs in high school.

Edited by Bevo

At 6'3" 290lbs, how much weight does he need to gain? I think any guy in a college weight program can increase his weight by 10%. It just seems like such a dumb comment when talking about a guy who is already 290lbs in high school.

Roach talking about how much weight a frame can hold is pretty funny.
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ever consider Will Randle as a full back? I am not sure if he'll be able to put on the weight or have the speed to be at TE 100% of the time.

It wasn't all Quinn, but he missed some big throws. Worthy, Whittington, Billingsley, Worthy, and Milton all essentially dropped passes today.
Every single one of those ranged from fairly catchable to even 3rd string high school receivers make the catch.

I'm sure near freezing temps and a brisk wind in Kansas will improve things and have every elite offensive player in the country fighting to be first to sign their lett of intent. Smdh

10 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Ever consider Will Randle as a full back? I am not sure if he'll be able to put on the weight or have the speed to be at TE 100% of the time.

We are full circle back to calling them halfbacks, but, yes, that's the position Randle slots in.

That's one of the reasons Randle's spot is safer if we take a 3rd TE.

• Hook 'Em 1

Roach (Sure seems like Wisner is at risk of getting processed)

Spoiler

— Johntay Cook didn't see a lot of action in Desoto's 52-7 Area Round win over Rockwall-Heath Thursday night. Cook saw heavy coverage his way but still managed to lead his team with 5 catches for 43 yards. Desoto didn't need much as they rode a vicious running game to an easy victory. After the game, Cook spoke with Horns247. He was noticeably frustrated by the way the Longhorns played last week, but he followed by saying he knows he can help on offense when he gets to Austin. Cook mentioned the opportunity to work on guys like Deandre Moore, Duce Robinson, Anthony Hill and Ja'Kobi Lane during the game. Despite having some fun on social media, Cook seems pretty locked in with Texas and is set to enroll on January 6.

— Speaking of Anthony Hill, everyone we speak to continues to feel like Texas remains a favorite for the five-star linebacker. We talked about it at length earlier this week in The Stampede, but last weekend's visit went well and we heard the most positive buzz from him coming out of the trip. We'll continue to monitor the situation with Hill, but we still like where things stand as of today.

— Tre Wisner has been part of a crowded backfield at Desoto, and the Eagles have moved him around to get more weapons on the field. On Thursday, Wisner primarily played at the receiver position and showcased some open-field ability after the catch. As far as we know, the plan is still for Wisner to play running back at the college level, but the Longhorns have also been in contact with some other running backs. In fact, we've been told that the Longhorns have initiated contact with New Caney runner Kedrick Reescano. Reescano has been incredibly productive this season, and he committed to Michigan State in the spring. After opening his recruitment, several schools are vying for his attention. Texas would need to move quickly if they are truly interested in landing him, and I think they'd have some ground to make up if they do.

— Another name we've heard some buzz about is Ardmore (OK.) Plainview ATH Morgan Pearson. Pearson is an impressive athlete who has a future in baseball as well. Pearson plays at wide receiver and multiple spots on defense including safety and linebacker. He's probably a linebacker at the next level, but there is enough versatility there to play in a multi-faceted role. There's been some preliminary contact by the staff after evaluating Pearson's impressive senior season. Michigan State is generating the most buzz right now, but programs like USC and Washington are also in contact and evaluating him. He's probably a name worth keeping an eye on as we head down the stretch toward signing day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don’t think losses have much to do with it but I think the momentum and celebration of a win with the recruits goes a long way.  

Or aggy celebrating their close loss to Clemson to secure Demas’ commitment. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Roach (Sure seems like Wisner is at risk of getting processed)

Reveal hidden contents

— Johntay Cook didn't see a lot of action in Desoto's 52-7 Area Round win over Rockwall-Heath Thursday night. Cook saw heavy coverage his way but still managed to lead his team with 5 catches for 43 yards. Desoto didn't need much as they rode a vicious running game to an easy victory. After the game, Cook spoke with Horns247. He was noticeably frustrated by the way the Longhorns played last week, but he followed by saying he knows he can help on offense when he gets to Austin. Cook mentioned the opportunity to work on guys like Deandre Moore, Duce Robinson, Anthony Hill and Ja'Kobi Lane during the game. Despite having some fun on social media, Cook seems pretty locked in with Texas and is set to enroll on January 6.

— Speaking of Anthony Hill, everyone we speak to continues to feel like Texas remains a favorite for the five-star linebacker. We talked about it at length earlier this week in The Stampede, but last weekend's visit went well and we heard the most positive buzz from him coming out of the trip. We'll continue to monitor the situation with Hill, but we still like where things stand as of today.

— Tre Wisner has been part of a crowded backfield at Desoto, and the Eagles have moved him around to get more weapons on the field. On Thursday, Wisner primarily played at the receiver position and showcased some open-field ability after the catch. As far as we know, the plan is still for Wisner to play running back at the college level, but the Longhorns have also been in contact with some other running backs. In fact, we've been told that the Longhorns have initiated contact with New Caney runner Kedrick Reescano. Reescano has been incredibly productive this season, and he committed to Michigan State in the spring. After opening his recruitment, several schools are vying for his attention. Texas would need to move quickly if they are truly interested in landing him, and I think they'd have some ground to make up if they do.

— Another name we've heard some buzz about is Ardmore (OK.) Plainview ATH Morgan Pearson. Pearson is an impressive athlete who has a future in baseball as well. Pearson plays at wide receiver and multiple spots on defense including safety and linebacker. He's probably a linebacker at the next level, but there is enough versatility there to play in a multi-faceted role. There's been some preliminary contact by the staff after evaluating Pearson's impressive senior season. Michigan State is generating the most buzz right now, but programs like USC and Washington are also in contact and evaluating him. He's probably a name worth keeping an eye on as we head down the stretch toward signing day.

Co-sign. Wisner is the 1st commit I think of when I think about who's gonna be processed next.

Earlier this week, some of y'all suggested that Dylan Spencer might be processed because of the fake decommit rumors about him. I looked up his MaxPreps stats & on3 profile page and said "no fuccing way"!! With his great flexible size (At 6"4 241 lbs, He could be a Jack EDGE or grow into a DT) & how productive he is at 2 different Texas 6A level programs, I can't see Spencer being processed. 

Edited by TheMailBox357

2 hours ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Co-sign. Wisner is the 1st commit I think of when I think about who's gonna be processed next.

Earlier this week, some of y'all suggested that Dylan Spencer might be processed because of the fake decommit rumors about him. I looked up his MaxPreps stats & on3 profile page and said "no fuccing way"!! With his great flexible size (At 6"4 241 lbs, He could be a Jack EDGE or grow into a DT) & how productive he is at 2 different Texas 6A level programs, I can't see Spencer being processed. 

Spencer has had a great senior season, so has Billy Walton.

Desoto played Wisner at WR last night. I imagine the staff would have to try to be delicate here since you don't want to sour things with Cook or Desoto in general. But yeah, if its simply based on play on the field, Cojoe and Wisner are the two biggest candidates for processing.

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Was Wisner a bad eval, has he regressed, or does Desoto just have a bunch of studs at RB?

a little of all 3 i assume? he was a big get when he committed, and it sounds like the sophomore stud guy has come on late in the season

ranking wise, he has dropped from a 93.28 to a 90.36 BUT when he committed he was a 91.11 so he hasn't dropped THAT much there.

as of now he isn't nationally ranked and on3, ESPN and 247 all have him in the 60-70 range for Texas. Rivals has him as a top 200 guy.

image.png.a8f2c4a20766edb51e1b29c0e9e8db2a.png

29 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Was Wisner a bad eval, has he regressed, or does Desoto just have a bunch of studs at RB?

I’m not going to act like I’ve watched every Wisner snap,  but Desoto does have a Soph. RB that looks really good. If he turns out to be a 5-star or national top 100 caliber guy, we’d look back on this pretty differently.

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Think he peaked....

Possibly, but if he never transferred he’d be starting at Connally putting up nice numbers and we probably wouldn’t be having this conversation. 

Watching the IT livestream from a couple hours ago and Bobby Burton, Gerry Hamilton, & Ian Boyd are having a good discussion on getting experienced players from the transfer portal vs. going through the growing pains of developing High School recruits. Definitely would make more sense to process Wisner to have an open portal spot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Watching the IT livestream from a couple hours ago and Bobby Burton, Gerry Hamilton, & Ian Boyd are having a good discussion on getting experienced players from the transfer portal vs. going through the growing pains of developing High School recruits. Definitely would make more sense to process Wisner to have an open portal spot.

On Texas Football LIVE:  Kansas vs Texas | Longhorns | Recruiting | Score Predictions

1 hour ago, BornOrange said:

I remember earlier in the year that Gerry Hamilton was cautious about how good a RB prospect Wisner was because he wanted see how Wisner would perform going from playing at the 4A level at Waco Connally up to 6A level at DeSoto. Looks like Hamilton was right.