Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

11 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I'm not the one trying to squeeze a moral victory out of Sark's failure to put a functioning offense on the field in year 2. But you're right, it's too much to ask for more than six offensive points in six quarters. What unrealistic expectations on my part.

Surely, having displayed zero offensive improvement coming off a bye week, we'll pull it together in the last two games.

Go back to the football board if you want to bleed.  This is the recruiting board.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 1

39 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Maybe you should be asking yourself how TCU went from a 5-7 doormat that lost to Sark to a legitimate top 10 team in year 1 of Dykes, while we're 11-11 and still spouting excuses in year 2 of Sark.

TCU's defense was supposed to be horribad this year. They were the 116th-ranked defense in all of FBS last season and hired a DC from fucking Tulsa, who promptly shut down Sark's offense. This is not some 'woe is me, Sark doesn't have enough talent to score on these guys' situation. blOU scored 24 on them in Fort Worth without a functioning QB.

Dykes and his staff have done a great job this season.

They're also no more proven for the long run based on their results this season than Todd Orlando or Manny Diaz were when they had great first seasons.

This is all kind of my point.  Progress is determined seasons at a time not games at a time.  We're not as good as we looked against OU or as bad as we looked against TCU.  We're somewhere in between and our record at the end of the season will tell us more about how we've evolved since last season than any game in a vacuum will.

Similarly, how Dykes and staff follow up this season next year will tell us a lot more about whether they can sustain success at this level.  He hasn't had this kind of success for his career, so this season is an outlier based on that.

I'm not saying you're wrong about us (if anything, history would suggest your typically pessimistic takes have proven justified), I'm just saying the jury is out on if we're progressing or not.  How we finish the season will tell me a lot more about that than a 7 point loss to #4 tcu in year 2.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm not the one trying to squeeze a moral victory out of Sark's failure to put a functioning offense on the field in year 2. But you're right, it's too much to ask for more than six offensive points in six quarters. What unrealistic expectations on my part.
Surely, having displayed zero offensive improvement coming off a bye week, we'll pull it together in the last two games.

Oh, I wasn’t referring to the game. Was referring to you having a reason to visit the recruiting board again. With all the good news, I know things have been rough in here for you lately. Congrats on last night!!!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

No one is even arguing with your point, they're just laughing at how you predictably post way more here after bad news. It's the same reason people mock bruh man, he only posts on the recruiting board when aggy is winning, they've lost 6 in a row and no one's heard from him in over a month.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

In 2006, we were 9-1 with our only loss to undefeated Ohio State, Colt was a Heisman candidate already and set the school record for TD passes in a season, Jevan Snead only played when Colt got knocked out of the Kansas State game, and we finished 10-3 with two of those losses being directly attributable to Colt’s injury.  

spacer.png

The year after we won the national championship and the offense largely returned except for Vince? Also remember that Colt had a full year in the system to learn before ever starting.

• Hook 'Em 6

9 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The year after we won the national championship and the offense largely returned except for Vince? Also remember that Colt had a full year in the system to learn before ever starting.

And then still had a rough sophomore year after that offensive line graduated…with a JR Jamaal Charles in the backfield.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
Added Jamaal note before someone screams Bijan.
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Get outta here with those fancy facts.  You mean to tell me one redshirt QB with a previous years national championship supporting cast isn’t the same as another true freshman QB with young oline and inconsistent receivers?  The comparison is obvious I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Get outta here with those fancy facts.  You mean to tell me one redshirt QB with a previous years national championship supporting cast isn’t the same as another true freshman QB with young oline and inconsistent receivers?  The comparison is obvious I guess. 

Personally I think this supporting cast coming off a 5-7 season compares quite well to that team. 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

I thought Texas scored 31 first half pts against Kstate after the bye week?   That’s pretty spectacular up to that point.  What are you talking about?

• Hook 'Em 2

The key to our offense falling apart was the OL/TE losing up front, and Quinn not being able to make good decisions under pressure. This is not something Card would have done better. We needed to be able to run the ball in this game to win and we couldn’t. 
I would have been upset if we were blown out, but we had multiple chances to win despite our offense. Quinn thinks he can make whatever play he sees, no matter how difficult. It’s well past the time to rein that shit in, but that’s also what made him great in HS. 

My issue with Sark is that he is allowing the team to live and die by Quinn’s bad decision making

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

In 2006, we were 9-1 with our only loss to undefeated Ohio State, Colt was a Heisman candidate already and set the school record for TD passes in a season, Jevan Snead only played when Colt got knocked out of the Kansas State game, and we finished 10-3 with two of those losses being directly attributable to Colt’s injury.  

spacer.png

Here's a guy who never heard of John Chiles, hornfans/shaggy/surly had already decided year 2 Colt had peaked and we wouldn't be able to win a championship with him. An offseason of throwing to Shipley on a boat and it was blast off

• Hook 'Em 5

5 hours ago, satyanash said:

You and I remember 2006 very differently. Colt literally tied the NCAA freshman record for TDs. More importantly, at no point was he completely unable to run the offense. At least before he injured his shoulder.

Now if Ewers is playing hurt that's a different story.

He also had Quan Cosby and Jordan Shipley. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

People seem to keep glossing over the fact that Sark has been abysmal against the drop 8, 3 high safety look. We struggle to run and hit the deep ball regardless of who has been at QB. Sark always waits until it's way too late to take any of the underneath routes that are open.

Yeah the Jwhit bubble screens were getting like 10 yards a pop easy but we didn't see it until the very end

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

People seem to keep glossing over the fact that Sark has been abysmal against the drop 8, 3 high safety look. We struggle to run and hit the deep ball regardless of who has been at QB. Sark always waits until it's way too late to take any of the underneath routes that are open.

His solution to it was to run unbalanced stuff to get very favorable blocking matchups. TCU said fuck all that with the way they were shooting gaps all night. They didn’t even look like they were guessing right, they just beat our guys to spots over and over and dedicated bodies to stopping the run. 

26 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The WR screens were working in the second half. Didn't run a single one in the first 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

His solution to it was to run unbalanced stuff to get very favorable blocking matchups. TCU said fuck all that with the way they were shooting gaps all night. They didn’t even look like they were guessing right, they just beat our guys to spots over and over and dedicated bodies to stopping the run. 

It’s was an ugly game. OL whipped. Receiver play was bad. QB play bad. Sark thought he had the drop 8 figured out with his pound the rock with unbalanced sets. That didn’t work. He was late to spread it out and found some success (outside of the red zone). Honestly, I was getting Herman vs ISU vibes watching it 

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It’s was an ugly game. OL whipped. Receiver play was bad. QB play bad. Sark thought he had the drop 8 figured out with his pound the rock with unbalanced sets. That didn’t work. He was late to spread it out and found some success (outside of the red zone). Honestly, I was getting Herman vs ISU vibes watching it 

Our biggest issues were the drops that kept us from getting more opportunities to attack the defense. It probably helps Ewers get some confidence too. 
We ran 61 plays and got dominated in TOP despite the defense playing well. They ran clock and further put the stress on our O to execute.

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Our biggest issues were the drops that kept us from getting more opportunities to attack the defense. It probably helps Ewers get some confidence too. 
We ran 61 plays and got dominated in TOP despite the defense playing well. They ran clock and further put the stress on our O to execute.

They started pressing. Those early drops also allowed TCU to dominate field position in the 1st half 

Edited by Codaxx

43 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

This!

Every team that runs the 3-3-5 flyover gives Sark issues. 

Add in Arkansas and their version of the flyover as well. Even going back to Alabama, the flyover defense has slowed down Sark coached offenses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I have wondered who is in the booth talking to Sark. 

Milwee isn’t it?

Maybe he needs to hire a real OC/ CoOC to game plan, make adjustments, and remind him of what’s working and what isn’t. 

Edited by TXRed
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, TXRed said:

Milwee isn’t it?

Maybe he needs to hire a real OC/ CoOC to game plan, make adjustments, and remind him of what’s working and what isn’t. 

Guy in the booth sees things better than a guy on the sidelines. Easier for him to see what the defense is going 

5 hours ago, NYCHORN2013 said:

Last night fucking blew, we all agree.

are there any actual updates on the recruits that were in Austin or should I just check back in here on Thursday 

It seems the 9.95ers are too busy bitching and moaning to give actual updates right now. 

(Gerry Hamilton) Texas Longhorns recruiting: Defensive line in focus

The Texas Longhorns hosted a pair of defensive line targets in the 2023 cycle over the weekend. On3 Consensus 4-star Markis Deal made an official visit, while On3 Consensus 4-star Johnny Bowens made an unofficial visit.

The Longhorns are in search of two more defensive linemen in the 2023 cycle at the high school level to add to the current haul of On3 Consensus 4-stars Sydir Mitchell and Dylan Spencer. Inside Texas provides the latest following the big visit weekend.

Markis Deal decision expected soon

On3 Consensus 4-star Markis Deal has concluded the official visit process. The 6-foot-4.5, 280-pound star two-way lineman at Naaman Forest had another very good visit to Texas after attending the Alabama-Texas game September 10. Texas has done nothing but strengthen its position with the continued vastly improved defensive line play this season. With that said, Deal could just as easily pick TCU at the end of the day. The Horned Frogs were a distant third to Texas and Georgia entering the season, but are in the thick of the recruitment now. He has made two unofficial visits to TCU this season. One person very close to the recruitment sees TCU trending with the season, and being an hour drive from home. He sees opportunity early at both programs, obviously. Georgia very much remains in the mix should Deal decide to go far from home.

Inside Texas expected Deal to decision by the end of the month, or at the latest in early December.

Johnny Bowens announcing November 24

On3 Consensus No. 270 overall Johnny Bowens made an official visit to Texas for the TCU game. In speaking with a person close to Bowens recruitment, he loved the activity and way Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis coached and handled the Longhorns defensive line. The 6-foot-2, 265-pound ultra athletic defensive lineman was said to love “physicality” of the Texas defensive line, and the rotation with a number of guys making plays and always being fresh.

The thought headed into the weekend was Oregon held a slight lead over Texas A&M with Texas on the peripheral due to coming back into the recruitment recently. Bowens is set to announce his decision November 24.

Other Texas targets expected to make official visits

The Texas Longhorns have a number of other defensive line targets still in play with signing day set to begin December 21. That gives the Longhorns three official visit weekends in December prior to the early signing period. On3 Consensus 3-star defensive tackle and West Virginia “soft commit” Justin Benton will make an official visit to Texas December 3-5. He already made an official visit to Arkansas early this month.

Texas offered Wisconsin “soft commit” Roderick Pierce November 4. Since that time, he has been in communication with Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis. The 6-foot-2, 290-pounder with long arms and first step quickness is expected to make an official visit prior to making a final decision. Michigan is the team to beat for the Chicago area prospect.

Texas is also working to set up an official visit with East Mississippi Community College defensive tackle Elijah Davis. The 6-foot-4, 300-pound Palmetto State product is considered an instant impact level recruit by South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. Alabama is also lurking in this one. Davis made an official visit to South Carolina the last weekend of October.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/12/2022 at 11:56 PM, satyanash said:

Defensive trajectory has been terrific. D-line was absolutely ferocious and we finally have the LB play to compensate for our weaknesses in the secondary.

Offensive trajectory has been another story entirely. Most QBs, freshmen or not, don't regress as badly as Ewers has. And if they do they're usually benched.

And Barron & Watts played their asses off on the perimeter destroying WR screens & QB zone read keeps, plus momentum plays like a sack and fumble recovery return for TD.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1