Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Just now, TheMailBox357 said:

What are you talking about??

Hmm, well I failed to copy and paste.  

“It was great to catch up with Larry (Turner-Gooden) and Maalik (Murphy),” Moore said. “We’ve all known each other since we were about 10. Xavier Worthy would have been my host but like I said, I didn’t go out.

“We still had breakfast on Sunday and had a great talk. He loves it there and is doing great things. He has another year left and he talked about wanting another receiver to take some pressure off and playing with him would definitely open up things for me so right now, I definitely have high interest in Texas for sure.”

whoops GIF

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, TXRed said:

His senior season stats listed on MaxPreps, other than YPC, are unimpressive: https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/deandre-moore/Qb_nCPrjyE22JG54oozj8g/football/stats.htm His junior season stats are also unimpressive: https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/deandre-moore-jr/7Vnq7Qj0CEOYFmV8EOQQFQ/football/stats.htm

With Moore being considered a consensus national top 100 recruit that played for 2 different top Cali programs that both had blue-chip QBs throwing to him, those unimpressive stats really look bad.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Wise words knight 

Don't do it, man. It is a trap. You will take some time off, start doing productive things, and that just leads to a world of expectations and promise. No. Best to hang out with us degenerates here, where there is no pressure to perform.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Damnit I don’t like seeing these blurbs saying “could Texas lose arch?”. Last week I was hoping arch would jump from the crowd and get out there. If those rumors start really swirling I don’t think I could take it 

I think you’ve had too many Rocky Mountain oysters.  Slow down.  

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The December OV's that are known...

Justin Benton - December 3
Tyler Scott - December 17
Jelani McDonald - December 17

Possibly unpopular opinion incoming. But I don't like this talk about not taking McDonald because of the numbers. The numbers be damned because Texas needs as many athletic players as it can get on defense. Given some commits could be played at LB or Edge, there is room to get him on the field in a defensive scheme. McDonald is the type of guy who goes to Oklahoma State and then ends up drinking our milkshake.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Possibly unpopular opinion incoming. But I don't like this talk about not taking McDonald because of the numbers. The numbers be damned because Texas needs as many athletic players as it can get on defense. Given some commits could be played at LB or Edge, there is room to get him on the field in a defensive scheme. McDonald is the type of guy who goes to Oklahoma State and then ends up drinking our milkshake.

As a fan it is impossible to have an intelligent opinion on the numbers, unless you have knowledge on who is going into the portal and is interested in Texas. As Gerry Hamilton said, "Texas has done very well in HS recruiting, but I will judge how Texas finishes the recruiting season with how they recruit the portal" (something like that). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

As a fan it is impossible to have an intelligent opinion on the numbers, unless you have knowledge on who is going into the portal and is interested in Texas. As Gerry Hamilton said, "Texas has done very well in HS recruiting, but I will judge how Texas finishes the recruiting season with how they recruit the portal" (something like that). 

I feel like the first two classes of portal for Sark has been very shitty. Watts being the best of them followed by Keilan in terms of production. Ovie is average at best. It sucks Neyor got hurt....would have liked to see what he could have done for us this year. But pretty much every other portal take is a JAG.

Hopefully that new guy they hired pays off and we crush the portal with tons of quality contributors.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I feel like the first two classes of portal for Sark has been very shitty. Watts being the best of them followed by Keilan in terms of production. Ovie is average at best. It sucks Neyor got hurt....would have liked to see what he could have done for us this year. But pretty much every other portal take is a JAG.

Hopefully that new guy they hired pays off and we crush the portal with tons of quality contributors.

I know we are down on Ewers right now, but he seems like an okay portal guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gordon Shumway said:

I know we are down on Ewers right now, but he seems like an okay portal guy. 

Honestly forgot about him....but he's a first year starting QB. His biggest thing he needs is experience and settling down and correcting his footwork. 

I think he'll look much different next year. His coach also isn't doing him any favors with the playcalling.

• Hook 'Em 4

44 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Ovie is avg but he did improve our Edge position..  On paper this transition class looked to be really good.. and it still can be.  Let's see how Quinn finishes up this season and how he plays next season.  Billingsley coming back next year?  Neyor hopefully recovers from his knee injury and balls out next season too

• Hook 'Em 2

His first portal class sucked outside of Keilan, but he also didn't even arrive in Austin til mid January when portal season was over halfway done so the staff as a whole but at a disadvantaged. Which takes me back to what was the previous staff even doing the entire month of December and after the bowl game? There wasn't one transfer on the radar.

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

His first portal class sucked outside of Keilan, but he also didn't even arrive in Austin til mid January when portal season was over halfway done so the staff as a whole but at a disadvantaged.

Come on man. Lance Leipold arrived at Kansas three months after Sark, brought in nine players from the portal, then beat Sark with them.

edit: was actually 12 players, nine of whom made the two-deep immediately.

Edited by satyanash
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Come on man. Lance Leipold arrived at Kansas three months after Sark, brought in nine players from the portal, then beat Sark with them.

edit: was actually 12 players, nine of whom made the two-deep immediately.

You would have shit your pants and then smeared it all over this board if Sark brought in the players that Leipold did.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Duh. Sark inherited a much more talented roster than Leipold did. How did that pan out?

Just out of curiosity, what was your expectations for wins this year and what would have made you believe things could possibly be on the right path? I probably expected 6 given last year's shitshow and would have been/would be happy (and somewhat optimistic about the future) with 8. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Just out of curiosity, what was your expectations for wins this year and what would have made you believe things could possibly be on the right path? I probably expected 6 given last year's shitshow and would have been/would be happy (and somewhat optimistic about the future) with 8. 

Y'all should go do this on a thread on the football board. It's not just that this is the recruiting board, but it's also been discussed here ad nauseum. Further, it's really hard to watch someone try to equivocate or rationalize for Sarkisian at this point, and it makes me want to use long knives. But I'm trying, really hard, Ringo, to keep those tucked away these days. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Ovie is avg but he did improve our Edge position..  On paper this transition class looked to be really good.. and it still can be.  Let's see how Quinn finishes up this season and how he plays next season.  Billingsley coming back next year?  Neyor hopefully recovers from his knee injury and balls out next season too

Ovie is frustratingly average at his best. Most of the time he’s unplayable. 

20 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

His first portal class sucked outside of Keilan, but he also didn't even arrive in Austin til mid January when portal season was over halfway done so the staff as a whole but at a disadvantaged. Which takes me back to what was the previous staff even doing the entire month of December and after the bowl game? There wasn't one transfer on the radar.

Pre NIL as well

• Hook 'Em 3

Sigh. Listening to the Horns247 Recruiting podcast that dropped today and Roach & Standish are talking about they had multiple commitment stories ready to drop this past weekend. But the disappointing UT loss to TCU stalled those commitments from happening.

Looks like getting Deuce Robinson is gonna be an uphill battle. When does finally offer the Pimpton kid from North Crowley?

Edited by TheMailBox357

10 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Sigh. Listening to the Horns247 Recruiting podcast that dropped today and Roach & Standish are talking about they had multiple commitment stories ready to drop this past weekend. But the disappointing UT loss to TCU stalled those commitments from happening.

Looks like getting Deuce Robinson is gonna be an uphill battle. When does finally offer the Pimpton kid from North Crowley?

Deuce Robinson was/has been an uphill battle since...oh, January of 2022. So nothing has fucking changed there. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

I doubt the loss really had anything to do with it. It was just their expectation with a win commits would happen. These remaining recruits aren't deciding based on who wins on a week to week basis. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I doubt the loss really had anything to do with it. It was just their expectation with a win commits would happen. These remaining recruits aren't deciding based on who wins on a week to week basis. 

I don’t think losses have much to do with it but I think the momentum and celebration of a win with the recruits goes a long way.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I don’t think losses have much to do with it but I think the momentum and celebration of a win with the recruits goes a long way.  

I agree, it was a lost chance to really pick up momentum. Win the next two, back door our way into the CCG, and it will be another chance to pick up momentum leading into NSD#1.

• Hook 'Em 1