Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 minutes ago, Shonen said:

And Barron & Watts played their asses off on the perimeter destroying WR screens & QB zone read keeps, plus momentum plays like a sack and fumble recovery return for TD.

Yeah, we did not miss Jamison at all. I wonder if he will get his job back.

8 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, we did not miss Jamison at all. I wonder if he will get his job back.

What is the public story on Jamison? I was busy with corralling kids before, during and after the game on Saturday, so I didn't hear it. In reality, the guy isn't injured and I am guessing we don't see him again on the field, but I would like to know the public posture.

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What is the public story on Jamison? I was busy with corralling kids before, during and after the game on Saturday, so I didn't hear it. In reality, the guy isn't injured and I am guessing we don't see him again on the field, but I would like to know the public posture.

Sark said he got a concussion in practice last week in his post game presser. 

Edited by Vertigo

SCOOP: Texas commits, targets talk weekend visit

Justin Wells•7 minutes

Article written by:Justin Wells

Johntay Cook, Anthony Hill, and Landen Hill at Texas. (Courtesy of Hill)

Despite the close loss to No. 4 TCU at home on Saturday night, the reviews are in from recruits in attendance and most enjoyed the big-game atmosphere from DKR. Latest in the Scoop.

Anthony Hill Jr, LB, Denton (Texas) Ryan 

One of the biggest prospects in the country was on-hand for the Texas-TCU tilt on Saturday night. And despite coming up on the short end, Anthony Hill and his family saw enough to know Texas could be the spot. 

Hill remarked about how well the defense played, something very important to his recruitment. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound On3 Consensus No. 1 linebacker was able to reconnect with friends and former teammates on Saturday, and felt closer to home than before. 

Overall, it was a great visit, his father told Inside Texas. Ohio State, Alabama, and Texas A&M could get visits over the next month leading up to early national signing day. 

Texas did what he needed to do from a defensive standpoint; show improvement and development. That’ll be a key to this recruitment down the stretch. 

Jaden Greathouse, WR, Austin (Texas) Westlake – Notre Dame commit

“It was real good,” said Greathouse. “I had fun with my (former) teammates and guys I went with.” 

Nothing Earth-shattering here to report other than UT stays in the hunt for the On3 four-star receiver. 

Markis Deal, DL, Garland (Texas) Naaman Forest

The feeling for months in the recruitment of the 6-foot-4.5, 280-pound On3 Consensus 4-star is that he preferred the brighter lights of programs such as Texas and Georgia. TCU’s season has considerably eaten into that. Deal watched TCU and Texas Saturday night on his final official visit.

Deal has the best relationship with Bo Davis, of the defensive line coaches recruiting him. Some of this is time spent by Texas targeting Deal, and some of that is the consistent message of Davis for over a year. Georgia’s Trey Scott also has a very solid relationship with Deal. For TCU, the relationship has evolved since May, but it’s the season TCU is having combined with opportunity very close to home that has the Longhorns worried a bit.

Deal is expected to decide at the end of the month with TCU surging more and more. Texas has been considered the favorite since late July. Georgia has to overcome distance from home. 

Jelani McDonald, LB/ATH, Waco (Texas) Connally 

The former Oklahoma State commit continues to make himself at home in Austin. This was the On3 four-star’s second trip to Texas in a month, and he was absolutely blown away by the atmosphere and environment. 

McDonald was with Connally teammate and four-star Kobe Black, and both loved the event. He also was able to meet recruits like Arch Manning, Derion Gullette, Tre Wisner, and Johntay Cook. 

Texas continues to pace this pursuit and McDonald currently doesn’t have a timeline for a decision. McDonald is expected to make an official visit to TCU, where his father played, prior to his scheduled official visit to Texas December 17. 

Johnny Bowens, DL, Converse (Texas) Judson

Texas got back into the Bowens recruitment in October, and hosted the 6-foot-2, 260-pounder on Saturday. Bowens told Inside Texas recently that he hadn’t given Texas much chance, but wanted to check them out prior to a November 24th decision. Texas showed Bowens Saturday night exactly what he could become in Austin with an active, disruptive front that has developed in year two under Bo Davis.

Bowens was also surprised at the Texas fan base and atmosphere according to a source close to the recruitment. The big hurdle for Texas will be Oregon and Texas A&M having a substantial lead headed into Saturday. The one-time Aggies commit was considered a slight lean to Oregon prior to the weekend. But there is the possibility that a family member will keep Bowens closer to home. 

Jaydon Chatman, OL, Harker Heights (Texas) – #AllGasNoBrakes 

“I love being at DRK win or lose it was a great time. Our offense just couldn’t get it going. Can’t wait to get there in Jan.”

Billy Walton, EDGE, Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff – #AllGasNoBrakes 

“I mean, the game was great,’ Walton said. “The offense needs to get going a little bit, but defensively we did great.”

Hunter Moddon, ATH, Houston (Texas) Clear Lake – #AllGasNoBrakes

One of Texas’ junior commitments came back to Austin for the big matchup this weekend. It felt like home for the 6-foot-0, 175-pound On3 No. 4 athlete in the 2024 cycle. 

“When I walked in, I felt welcomed back home,” Moddon said. “The game was a lot fun to watch. We couldn’t get the run game going which means we couldn’t start passing the ball really. The beginning of the game was a little slow, the energy wasn’t quite there yet, but things picked up.” 

Moddon watched Xavier Worthy and other UT receivers, since that’s the position he prefers at the next level. He noted despite the Horns’ loss, all it takes it more work and dedication, something he’s ready to do when he arrives on campus. 

He also met recruits like Payton Kirkland and enjoyed building bonds with his future teammates on the Forty Acres. 

Moddon holds offers Georgia, LSU, Michigan State, and TCU among others, but insists he’s locked into his Texas pledge. 

Terry Bussey, ATH, Timpson (Texas) – 2024

The electric east Texas athlete enjoyed his trip to Austin and hopes to make a return. 

“It was a good game,” said Bussey. “I loved it.”

Bussey is being recruited at defensive back for the Longhorns, with the ability to play corner, nickel, or safety. 

TyAnthony Smith, LB, Jasper (Texas) – 2024 

Smith is no stranger to Austin. He’s already visited a handful of times and was back at DKR on Saturday. At 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, Smith owns a slew of offers including Texas, LSU, TCU, Auburn, Oklahoma State, and Missouri.

“The (Texas) defense man,” said Smith, about what he enjoyed the most. “There’s nothing like a defensive game.” 

Braylon Conley, S, Humble (Texas) Atascocita – 2024

The On3 three-star is starting to appear on recruiters’ radars. Texas, Oregon, Louisville, Kansas State, and Arkansas have all offered the 6-foot-1, 162-pound safety. 

“I enjoyed the atmosphere and sellout crowd,” said Conley. “(Texas) defense balled all game. Two plays made the difference in the game – The big touchdown run in the 2nd half and the busted coverage touchdown pass. Other than those two plays, the defense played a great game. Kept them in it all game and even scored.”

Ty Hawkins, QB, San Antonio (Texas) Johnson – 2025 

At 6-foot-0, 185 pounds, the fast-rising signal-caller made another trip to the ATX over the weekend. Currently unranked and only holding a UTSA offer, Hawkins is popping up on radars across the region. 

“It was great,” said Hawkins. “The fans were loud, Coach (AJ) Milwee talked to me a little bit and the game was crazy. I had a good time.”

Hawkins is a solid athlete with potential at quarterback. We expect him back on campus this spring. 

Kelton Carver, ATH, Abernathy (Texas) – 2025

The 6-foot-3, 250-pound sophomore made his way to Austin on Saturday for his first UT gameday experience. 

“I would have to say the atmosphere,” Carver said, about what stood out the most from Saturday night. “It was a great experience and the fans were very welcoming.”

Jacorey Watson, ATH, Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek – 2025 

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound four-star and On3 Consensus No. 1 athlete in the class of 2025 made his way to the Forty Acres on Saturday. 

“The Texas visit went very well,” said Watson. “I love the atmosphere in there at Texas. I was able to communicate with the coaches and the defense stood out the most.”

It’s early but Watson holds offers from Texas, LSU, Michigan, Houston, and Ole Miss.  

Eli Bowen, CB, Denton (Texas) Guyer – 2024 

While the On3 Consensus four-star was unable to make the Texas-TCU game on Saturday due to an injury suffered on Saturday night that will keep him out of the remainder of the playoffs, Inside Texas caught up with the newest Texas 2024 defensive back offer. 

Bowen would like to see Austin soon, and a game this season if possible. He’ll certainly be on campus this spring. Notre Dame, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss are among his double-digit offers. 

The 5-foot-9, 165-pound two-way player was instrumental in Guyer’s regular season success as a lockdown corner and slot receiver. His brother, Peyton, is committed to Notre Dame, but is still looking at a number of programs like Oklahoma, Michigan, and Texas A&M. 

Hoops recruiting:

Inside Texas believes there is a good chance On3 Consensus 5-star point guard AJ Johnson (Woodland Hills, Calif./Southern California Academy) signs in the early period, which ends Wednesday. Texas has held a lead since the official visit process began in September.

Texas and LSU are the only official visits Johnson has made. Johnson’s “big brother” Jalen Green only made the official visit to Texas. The key people close to Johnson have liked the faster pace with which Texas has played with against Arkansas and in the first two games of the season. 

There remains the possibility that Texas may choose to only sign two players in the early period. That will be decide Tuesday or Wednesday.

Gerry Hamilton contributed to this article.

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

it's ok, you wouldn't be the first person to ever tell me I spend too much time on twitter.

Sorry I meant it more like our collective reaction to the rumor. It doesn't make sense.

23 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

I am not, supposedly it frustrated Jelani Mcdonald as well but that has also been squashed. Mcdonald will still come down to numbers as well IMO

Are you Justin Wells?

9 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

so who is the player that was rumored to be processed then? If not Spencer?  Is it Walton (which i highly doubt)?

Wisner isnt even starting on his HS team and is at our deepest position

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Sorry I meant it more like our collective reaction to the rumor. It doesn't make sense.

Are you Justin Wells?

He wishes...we prob heard from the exact same person if he said something similar

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, futureman said:

what’s his name

14 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Corn Pop, he's a bad dude.....

JK, no idea but this might help, not sure which one he is.

image.png.ebad51586c6442b36e258ae5143ac98d.png

Yeah it’s Deondrae Riden, aggy is already after him pretty hard.

5 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Are you sure? Whenever I've watch DeSoto highlights this season, I never notice Wisner.

Wisner was the guy earlier in the season, but it’s been shifting more to Riden as the season has gone on. I don’t have any up to date stats on them though, I think maxpreps is a couple of games behind.

None of this necessarily means Wisner is a bad take as a 2nd RB, DeSoto just stacks talent like that, so transferring there isn’t always the greatest thing for the player. Cedar Hill’s star QB transferred there and now he’s like their 4th leading WR.

7 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

That is just ridiculous.  Hicks isn’t coming here and we need to stop with these crazy dream scenarios.

It’s obviously to make room for Will Anderson Jr. to transfer to UT from Alabama.  

This is the most absurd take yet. It's obviously to make room for Jaylen Waddle, could you imagine his speed at EDGE?

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Four-Star WR Deandre Moore raves about weekend visit to Texas

Greg Biggins

(Talk about an enigmatic quote with which to end the note ... ("So once our season is done, I plan to make a final announcement at that time and ").  Or perhaps it's just a typo.)

Spoiler

Four-Star WR Deandre Moore raves about weekend visit to Texas

Greg Biggins

Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco wide out Deandre Moore took his final official visit to Texas over the weekend and loved his time in Austin.

Moore is a Louisville commitment but took an official visit to Georgia last month and visited Austin over the weekend.

“I had a great visit,” Moore said. “I had the flu unfortunately so I couldn’t go out with the players but I still really enjoyed myself. It was a huge weekend and they had a few other visitors on campus, Duce Robinson, Ja'Kobi Lane and some other guys.

“I was able to meet Arch Manning for the first time and that was great. We’ve been texting so for awhile now but meeting him in person was cool and he was a lot different from what I expected. He’s super chill, a good dude and people gravitate towards him, you can tell he’s going to be special.”

Texas lost a tough one to TCU but Moore said the atmosphere was still electric.

“They pack it out there, the fans were nuts,” Moore said. “I’ve never seen so many horns up in my life but it was cool. I have a great connection with the staff there and I’m really comfortable with them.

“I’ve known Sark (Steve Sarkisian) since I was in 8th grade and I like coach Marrion a lot too. Coach Marrion is a great guy and a great developer and I like his coaching style. He’s a teacher and development is a huge part of my decision and I have no doubts I could achieve my goals there, which are to play three years and get to the League (NFL).”

Moore was able to interact with some of the players on the team including a few he’s known since before high school.

“It was great to catch up with Larry (Turner-Gooden) and Maalik (Murphy),” Moore said. “We’ve all known each other since we were about 10. Xavier Worthy would have been my host but like I said, I didn’t go out.

“We still had breakfast on Sunday and had a great talk. He loves it there and is doing great things. He has another year left and he talked about wanting another receiver to take some pressure off and playing with him would definitely open up things for me so right now, I definitely have high interest in Texas for sure.”

Moore said right now, his focus is on his Bosco team and hoping to win a state championship.

“We play a semi-final game this weekend and if we win, we could match up again with Mater Dei in the Rose Bowl in two weeks for the Championship,” Moore said. “That’s where my focus is but once we’re done, then I’ll sit down and make a final decision.

“I have three great schools to choose from. Louisville is a great fit for me, I loved my Georgia visit and Texas is a great option as well. So once our season is done, I plan to make a final announcement at that time and

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1