Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

I don't understand why people consider the Hill Country as a whole to be pretty.
Gorgeous spots? Absolutely. Pretty much any spot with water running is amazing. Love being on the rivers. And the towns like Boerne and Wimberley are nice.
But overall, it's hot, dry, rocky, with some random hills and scrubby trees. I actually think East Texas is much prettier in general.

I’ve been yelled at for expressing this exact thought.

On 8/22/2023 at 3:47 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

I don't understand why people consider the Hill Country as a whole to be pretty.

Gorgeous spots? Absolutely. Pretty much any spot with water running is amazing. Love being on the rivers. And the towns like Boerne and Wimberley are nice.

But overall, it's hot, dry, rocky, with some random hills and scrubby trees. I actually think East Texas is much prettier in general.

Forested landscape > rocky landscape

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Born to Run said:

People prefer fucking Chewbaca?

I mean I have waded some dense swamps in sweaty environs with Aunt Flo. But we are talking Prefer.

"Prefer" suposes at least one alternate choice, the composition of which has to influence the preferred one.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but getting a face-full (well, and onto other parts) of female locker room denizens post-game and pre-shower has been an occasionally occurrent fantasy of mine. One of those did in fact include a tenniser who blamed her recent defeat on Aunt Flo; I was not put off so easily, praise Jeebus.

• 5 weeks later...

I turned down a trip to Vegas this weekend to go to Lake Charles. My birthday was Wednesday and the wife offered to take me to Vegas. But what's the point? I'm 51, married with two kids at home. What exactly am I going to do in Vegas with my wife that I can't do in LC? 

Ok, so I will miss the buffets. But within two hours I can be at my hotel, gamble my $200 and then come home. Without all of the airport hassle. And I can still eat all the shit, I don't need to be eating. Plus I get to stop at buc-ees.

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I turned down a trip to Vegas this weekend to go to Lake Charles. My birthday was Wednesday and the wife offered to take me to Vegas. But what's the point? I'm 51, married with two kids at home. What exactly am I going to do in Vegas with my wife that I can't do in LC? 

Ok, so I will miss the buffets. But within two hours I can be at my hotel, gamble my $200 and then come home. Without all of the airport hassle. And I can still eat all the shit, I don't need to be eating. Plus I get to stop at buc-ees.
My birthday is one day after yours. Happy birthday!

I've never been to Vegas. Want to go one time in my life just to see what it's about.

Vegas is fun- go see it once.  The gambling rules tend to be better in Lake Chuck.

I think East Texas is boring scenery wise. 60 foot pine trees as far as you can see, which is about 15 fucking feet in front of you.

@Brothahorn, @Vic Mackey, my go-to birthday sentiment, in the immortal words of Roger Waters (lyrics), Richard Wright, and David Gilmour (shared vocals):

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun,

but it’s sinking

Racing around to come up behind you again.

The sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older.

Shorter of breath,

And one day closer to death

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

Vegas is fun- go see it once.  The gambling rules tend to be better in Lake Chuck.

I think East Texas is boring scenery wise. 60 foot pine trees as far as you can see, which is about 15 fucking feet in front of you.

This is correct.  Those who live in the hill country wish for a place on the bay.  Those who live on the bay want a place in the Hill Country.  All I want is for this last kid to grow the fuck up, the wife to retire, and we can move on.

• Like 2

Dead trees.  damn...

I missed real sunsets and the 4 seasons when I lived just north of Houston for more than a decade and a half.  West Texas leaves you wanting to see some water, and some mountains, maybe.  I hated driving cross country through East Texas and the South in general.  Pine trees forever and scenery that seldom changed; generally speaking of course.

I am aware this might be unpopular, thus the appropriate venue.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Dead trees.  damn...

I missed real sunsets and the 4 seasons when I lived just north of Houston for more than a decade and a half.  West Texas leaves you wanting to see some water, and some mountains, maybe.  I hated driving cross country through East Texas and the South in general.  Pine trees forever and scenery that seldom changed; generally speaking of course.

I am aware this might be unpopular, thus the appropriate venue.

Ha. That was a winter pic. 
Although I did lose 2 in the front and 6 in the back from this year’s heat and drought. They’ll come down this winter. 

• 2 months later...
10 minutes ago, slorch said:

Meatloaf browned/ caramelized on a flat top and served with mashed taters, a veggie, and hot roll is a damned good lunch. 

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Meatloaf sandwiches slam and go hard, too.

Im Not No Way GIF

I also think it may be an age thing. Older folks love it. Us youngins? Nope. I've explained to my kid I will never make him eat meatloaf.

I hated meatloaf when I was growing up.  When my mom made it, she would make me sit at the table until I ate it.  I thought I was going to puke.  Then it started to be OK, and eventually, I got to where I actually liked it.  Now, I make a mean meatloaf that both my kids love.  I you like meatloaf, try making it with Bison meat.  My kids love that.

2 hours ago, baboso said:

You meatloaf lovers need to give this recipe for Mexican meatloaf a try:

https://thelocalpalate.com/recipes/meatloaf-with-tomato-habanero-gravy-and-buttered-green-beans/

I make a Mexican meatloaf that has crushed tortilla chips mixed in instead of crackers or breadcrumbs.

Mix in some good cheese, japs, onion, garlic, cilantro, chopped bell peppers and homeade salsa on top.

More cheese on top at the very end.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2023 at 9:10 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I hated meatloaf when I was growing up.  When my mom made it, she would make me sit at the table until I ate it.  I thought I was going to puke.  Then it started to be OK, and eventually, I got to where I actually liked it.  Now, I make a mean meatloaf that both my kids love.  I you like meatloaf, try making it with Bison meat.  My kids love that.

Brother?

On 12/7/2023 at 3:50 PM, Steamboat1874 said:

I make a Mexican meatloaf that has crushed tortilla chips mixed in instead of crackers or breadcrumbs.

Mix in some good cheese, japs, onion, garlic, cilantro, chopped bell peppers and homeade salsa on top.

More cheese on top at the very end.

OK, I might be willing to try this.  Gonna need directions to your crib.