Surly Dad Thread

BigDHornfan

25 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

That car seat should clip into the part that opens for the kid to sit in on the buggy.

I've been tempted to do that and honestly on the bigass box store carts it's probably fairly safe from a top-heaviness perspective, but I'm still unsure. Threw me a bit on why that was a new question for me, but last time was still covid era and we didn't little bitty baby out and then I just wore her when she was a little bigger.

I've been tempted to do that and honestly on the bigass box store carts it's probably fairly safe from a top-heaviness perspective, but I'm still unsure. Threw me a bit on why that was a new question for me, but last time was still covid era and we didn't little bitty baby out and then I just wore her when she was a little bigger.

It’s fine on a regular sized cart. Car seats just take up so much room. We would use two carts until we were comfortable doing it.

15 hours ago, South Austin said:

You give the toddler a gelato while they’re riding in the cart and it’s a piece of cake.

Pretty sure it’s still a gelato.

On another note, I’m grateful Disney dropped another 10 new episodes of Bluey this weekend.  That will keep our youngest occupied.  Plus we have science fair and Pinewood Derby stuff to do.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 1:14 AM, atomheartbevo said:

On another note, I’m grateful Disney dropped another 10 new episodes of Bluey this weekend.  That will keep our youngest occupied.  Plus we have science fair and Pinewood Derby stuff to do.

they are good episodes. what a show!

• Hook 'Em 1

Pretty sure it’s still a gelato.

Pwd is proving difficult when it’s too cold to paint in the garage!
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The ones about their dad getting older and feeling older are hitting a little too close to home though.  They were rough to watch.  

the rugby one is what got me, and has gotten me every time i've seen it. saw it on tiktok and elsewhere multiple times before it was live on D+

Little baby is so much easier at store than toddler. Especially with a good car seat swaddle going.
When my son was first learning to walk and still needed to hold onto something, he'd hold the rear bottom of the cart and we would walk really slow through the store. He loved it. People would wonder why I was moving so slowly until they saw his little self happily "pushing" the cart. Lots of women would stop and comment.

He just turned 10 a couple months ago. Daughter never did it though. She turns 8 next month. Time flies.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I got the “giving mom a break today?” comment from a cashier. I couldn’t come up with anything better than a stupid look and “no, we just needed some string cheese.” Next time I think I’ll say she died in childbirth.

This made me laugh thinking back to some comic in the 1990s/2000s who had a bit about marriage and how a man can never communicate properly, "What I should have said was please pass me the cereal, but instead what came out at the breakfast table was you ruined my fucking life bitch!"  

"What I should have said was thank you for the string cheese, but instead what came out at the checkout line was my wife died in childbirth you selfish cunt!"  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I got the “giving mom a break today?” comment from a cashier. I couldn’t come up with anything better than a stupid look and “no, we just needed some string cheese.” Next time I think I’ll say she died in childbirth.

Used to make me enjoy the trips to the store to buy tampons.  After I'd ask the wife if it was a surprise this time, how could she run out; then the actual trip to the store was a breeze.  Nobody said a fucking word to ya, male or female.

Shit, I had my 20 year old home for three weeks over Christmas.  He WANTED to go on grocery runs with me.....so he could load up the basket with food he couldn't get/afford back at college.  And damned right I indulged him.  But what am I gonna do with that giant bag of jalapeno poppers he bought but didn't eat before he left yesterday?
Who am I kidding, those things are as good as gone by the end of the weekend.  Burp.

So good.

I got my 6.5 year old daughter to go to church and shopping with me today and it was awesome.
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2023 at 4:24 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Yesterday was the boy’s first time shooting a long gun.
Started with his Grandfather’s 10/22 and worked up to my AR. He’s a right handed shooter but is left eye dominant. Gonna take some patience getting him comfortable shooting.
Moved on to .22 revolver. He was really good with the pistol.

31653c6f3d266edb1ef6c623f67f2b84.jpg
764c829c07140df3b9ed1184afce8faf.jpg

Tonight we are going to The Toadies for his first concert. He’s so excited.

Just buy him a left handed action/stock rifle. I'm right handed but left eye dominant, and I shot left handed because of that, and have since I was his age. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t know if we have any other new dads here right now, but for posterity and also because my wife finally admitted the superiority of my style over her dumb velcro swaddles (and is now finally able to get baby to nap) -

the batwing double swaddle:

two blankets rotated to a diamond, tops folded down on both, laid on top of one another. Lay baby down on top, fold the side over the baby and then tuck it under his body (over his arm). Repeat for the other side.

IMG_6412.thumb.jpeg.17890141e84db944bab58862ff177710.jpeg

Fold up the bottom, swaddle that fucker up tight with the second blanket.

IMG_6413.thumb.jpeg.d9b162a9571ba7460cea5d016db1ca87.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Question for Dads: son (6th gr) has sport practice 3x a week, and soon will have games on yet another day l. Do I make him (or guilt trip?) go to every practice? Sometimes he says he's tired. And well, maybe he is. But isn't developing the grit to do practice anyway part of the point? My wife thinks I'm too serious about this and a borderline asshole.

Yes.

I’m probably not the best judge though.

Kid 1 practice vball mon/wed

Kid 2 practice vball&soccer Tue/thur. Vball coach knew soccer schedule and that soccer is priority but still wanted her on top team

Kid 3 soccer practice tue/thur. Baseball Wed/Fri. Soccer is his chosen priority and I coach both

We do listen to them and I’m constantly asking if they’re ok and how they’re feeling. If they need a break they do get it.

1 hour ago, CleverNickname said:

Question for Dads: son (6th gr) has sport practice 3x a week, and soon will have games on yet another day l. Do I make him (or guilt trip?) go to every practice? Sometimes he says he's tired. And well, maybe he is. But isn't developing the grit to do practice anyway part of the point? My wife thinks I'm too serious about this and a borderline asshole.

Assuming he knew the schedule (3x practice and game) when he agreed to play on the team, 6th grade is old enough, imo, to ask him to fulfill his commitment. I am sure there are more casual teams he can join, if this is too much, next season.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Sports will only get tougher in order for them to be prepared or for you to see whether they are committed he needs to follow through.

• Like 1

Tell him to suck it up. Your wife is making her son soft.

18 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

At that age from what I remember with my kids, the coaches also held kids accountable by benching or not starting or not giving as many minutes (depending on the sport) to those who missed practice on the run up to the game. I liked that, because if the parents are going to be soft, then the coaches would impart the life lessons, irrespective of talent/ability.

In sports and in life the best ability is availability. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

I am a firm believer that if you sign up for something you see it through to the end and you fully commit especially for a team sport. I have 3 daughters who are all damn good athletes ( moms side mostly) and they all love to go to practice so this isn't something I have had to deal with.

Also when you miss practice you are putting the team at a disadvantage but not being able to get the most out of it.

Playing time should suffer as well, which will build animosity toward the sport or team and from there is a downward spiral.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 9:03 AM, Brisketexan said:

And....neither daughter nor wife are speaking to me.  Or to each other.  Not a word was uttered in the house this morning.

Since this is the surl, I'm just going to say it: Sounds like heaven. 

On 1/28/2024 at 3:16 PM, CleverNickname said:

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. 

In other words, fuck yes you go to all the practices, unless you are legitimately sick. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. 

In other words, fuck yes you go to all the practices, unless you are legitimately sick.

This is something I've been telling my girl for a long long time. Never. Let. Anyone. Out. Work. You!

You cannot control how tall you are, how fast you run, or high high you jump. You CAN control your effort and how hard you work to hone your craft. She learned what that meant this year when school ball came around. She plays on a team with 4 people who play the same position as her. One is probably the most physically gifted athlete in the city and a sophomore as well. The other is a junior and the starter last year. The other is a senior who has just as many physical gifts as her and last year's starter. It was her first year on varsity and she won a job in the starting rotation, and even won 1st team all district as well. All because she refused to yield.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Thatguy said:

This is something I've been telling my girl for a long long time. Never. Let. Anyone. Out. Work. You!

You cannot control how tall you are, how fast you run, or high high you jump. You CAN control your effort and how hard you work to hone your craft. She learned what that meant this year when school ball came around. She plays on a team with 4 people who play the same position as her. One is probably the most physically gifted athlete in the city and a sophomore as well. The other is a junior and the starter last year. The other is a senior who has just as many physical gifts as her and last year's starter. It was her first year on varsity and she won a job in the starting rotation, and even won 1st team all district as well. All because she refused to yield.

Badass.  This is what my Step-Dad taught me and it has served me well personally and professionally.  It also helps me to set an example as a manager.  I don't work crazy hours, but I do work hard when I am working.  There's no bullshit going on if there's a deadline to beat.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

My daughter got into UT today. I’m having peak dad emotions! Hook em!

Congratulations to you and her. That's awesome. I took a quick glance at the acceptance rate of UT. Even for in state students it is really low.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Two things you have complete control over - your attitude and your effort. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 3:16 PM, CleverNickname said:

Gotta make him go cause he signed up, but 4X a week for a sixth-grade sport is ridiculous imo. A lot of that is also the burden it places on parents to get them there and pick them up (unless that's arranged). 

I remember playing high school and having practices five times a week. It was the modern day equivalent of having to be at the office from 8-5. Just a lot of time that we seemed like we were there just to say that we were there. Could have easily fit five days of practice into three or three and a half practices.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Last Monday our club coach forwarded a letter from the head coach at Wake Forest University. The coach was asking about my daughter. The kid is also getting lots of love from the vball rags and her twitter vball page has picked up traffic quite a bit. She made best Outside Hitter and the all tournament team last weekend. Its likely she is going to school for free as she is still only 15 years old. We will see June 15th, as that's the first date anyone can even talk to her.

Same boat, but girls soccer.  She's 15, and we've been road warriors these last few weeks at college ID camps and showcases.  Biggest takeaway from the camps, coaches, and current players is "comparison is the thief of joy"

June 15th will come and go.  Some will get tons of calls, others few or none.  What will 100% happen is their peer groups social media will explode with college stuff.  Much of it might be valid, much of it probably isn't.  Parents/kids trying to drum up fake demand.  Stay the path. 

Multiple girls from different schools stated they didn't get picked up until their senior year.  Factor in the transfer portal and it's even screwier.  There are also limited scholies for Title IX sports.  Soccer gets 14 scholies for rosters that vary from 28-32.  Vball is probably different, but very few get a full ride.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Depends on the kid. My son (7th grade) plays rec league soccer and I coach. It’s a hobby for him. If he’s legit tired, I’ll let him stay home. Why risk injury or turn the kid against the game over a practice here or there. I also have kids that miss one practice every week due to another sport or school activity. It happens.

Last night before bed my 8 year old twins had a fucking mess in the living room.  Told them to clean it up before we watch some TV.  

They dragged ass and it took forever.  Their eyes don't seem to want to work when it's time to clean up.  This took 10 mins when it should've taken 2.  All the while my wife is sitting on the couch next to me and playing around on her phone.  

Finally I have enough and say fuck it I'll do it myself and anything I find that's still out is going in the trash can.  They speed up.  Wife is still oblivious.  

When it's finally done, my daughter asks me for a snack and I say no. It took them too long to clean up l.  She gets mad.

My wife asks if I'm mad at her and I told her that I was glad to see that she could focus on something else besides her phone.  I told her that I could've used some help and she was nowhere to be found.  

She gets mad and walks off.  Daughters mad, wifes mad, the boy is sound asleep and I went for a walk at 830 last night.

No apologies this AM.

Fuckers. 

Edited by Post Oak
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Last night before bed my 8 year old twins had a fucking mess in the living room.  Told them to clean it up before we watch some TV.  

They dragged ass and it took forever.  Their eyes don't seem to want to work when it's time to clean up.  This took 10 mins when it should've taken 2.  All the while my wife is sitting on the couch next to me and playing around on her phone.  

Finally I have enough and say fuck it I'll do it myself and anything I find that's still out is going in the trash can.  They speed up.  Wife is still oblivious.  

When it's finally done, my daughter asks me for a snack and I say no. It took them too long to clean up l.  She gets mad.

My wife asks if I'm mad at her and I told her that I was glad to see that she could focus on something else besides her phone.  I told her that I could've used some help and she was nowhere to be found.  

She gets mad and walks off.  Daughters mad, wifes mad, the boy is sound asleep and I went for a walk at 830 last night.

No apologies this AM.

Fuckers. 

I had a week like that not long ago. I kept thinking, "stop trying to make me be a dad that I don't want to be." Probably not healthy. I'm listening to a book now to try to improve on that. However, I want to banish all screens from my house for everyone, especially while we have this weather. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Same boat, but girls soccer.  She's 15, and we've been road warriors these last few weeks at college ID camps and showcases.  Biggest takeaway from the camps, coaches, and current players is "comparison is the thief of joy"

June 15th will come and go.  Some will get tons of calls, others few or none.  What will 100% happen is their peer groups social media will explode with college stuff.  Much of it might be valid, much of it probably isn't.  Parents/kids trying to drum up fake demand.  Stay the path. 

Multiple girls from different schools stated they didn't get picked up until their senior year.  Factor in the transfer portal and it's even screwier.  There are also limited schollies for Title IX sports.  Soccer gets 14 schollies for rosters that vary from 28-32.  Vball is probably different, but very few get a full ride.  

Yeah volleyball is different. D1 is 12 schollies, D2 8, and NAIA 8. None for D3. All schollies for D1 have to be full ride. No partials. D2 are usually partial. Some levels are allowed to split with academic scholarships. There are usually around 16 kids a roster.

We have been to almost no camps or showcases. She went to one camp her club hosted last season and that's it. The traction she has gotten has been from social media or eyeball tests. The cool part of vball is the direct, across the net visuals. For example, the number 1 player in the country at our age group is Henley Anderson from Drippings Springs. She is a 6'3 Outside Hitter. We played her club team last year and there were 41 recruiters standing around the court. While they are watching her they are also seeing yours too. My daughter hit a ball so hard off the top of one of her teammate's head that it went two courts over. On Friday we leave for a tournament in KC. It's a NIT called The Tripe Crown. There are roughly 5000 clubs in the US and The Triple Crown invites the top 100. So almost all the best kids are in the same place. Last year it drew over 300 recruiters. Huge platform for your kid to be seen, but def nerve-wracking with all the recruiters standing around the court watching and taking notes.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Celery Man said:

just fyi Wake Forest is not in Wake Forest 😃

congrats, that’s awesome.

Funny fact, my daughter had no idea who they were.

Kid-"Is that a good school pops?"

Me-"They are a P5 program"

Her- "a wha?"

me- "They are in the same conference with G-Tech, Pitt, and Louisville(solid, ranked vball programs she knows)"

her- gets excited

me- slaps forehead

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah volleyball is different. D1 is 12 schollies, D2 8, and NAIA 8. None for D3. All schollies for D1 have to be full ride. No partials. D2 are usually partial. Some levels are allowed to split with academic scholarships. There are usually around 16 kids a roster.

We have been to almost no camps or showcases. She went to one camp her club hosted last season and that's it. The traction she has gotten has been from social media or eyeball tests. The cool part of vball is the direct, across the net visuals. For example, the number 1 player in the country at our age group is Henley Anderson from Drippings Springs. She is a 6'3 Outside Hitter. We played her club team last year and there were 41 recruiters standing around the court. While they are watching her they are also seeing yours too. My daughter hit a ball so hard off the top of one of her teammate's head that it went two courts over. On Friday we leave for a tournament in KC. It's a NIT called The Tripe Crown. There are roughly 5000 clubs in the US and The Triple Crown invites the top 100. So almost all the best kids are in the same place. Last year it drew over 300 recruiters. Huge platform for your kid to be seen, but def nerve-wracking with all the recruiters standing around the court watching and taking notes.

Yeah, Indoor volleyball is unique compared to almost all other girls sports.  Less camps/etc, more recruiting from the National level tournaments.  Beach is inline with soccer.  Unless you're top 50ish players you're not going to hear much, if anything, from coaches.  We've been road warriors as well, multiple college showcases.  My daughter emails all her schools (Tier 1, 2 and 3) once every two weeks or so but it's like blackhole and you hear almost nothing back.

The advice to not giving up if it doesn't happen June 15th is key, and our club director said the same.  There will be a lot of girls that get committed early, but the schools then start working through their lists.  Also, just because you don't get a call doesn't mean you shouldn't call.  Be proactive, communicate regularly.  Although, right now being in the no contact phase is super frustrating as you have zero ideas where you stand.

• Hook 'Em 2